Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
How realistic is the theory that the financial regulatory agencies aren't slapping crypto down because they're too scared what else is going to fall over when the crypto bubble bursts?
Versus something simple as the people in those agencies making money of these scams as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

smellmycheese posted:

I’m honestly surprised we haven’t had “Minecraft but you’re actually mining for real bitcoins” yet. It can only be a matter of time.
You just invented EVE Online

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Raygereio posted:

How realistic is the theory that the financial regulatory agencies aren't slapping crypto down because they're too scared what else is going to fall over when the crypto bubble bursts?
Versus something simple as the people in those agencies making money of these scams as well?

https://twitter.com/lamoustache/status/856527416935800832?s=20

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think a lot of the current situation is due to an interaction of being in late stage capitalism as well as having several generations who have internalized capitalism to a practically religious degree, who cannot comprehend or imagine anything other than neoliberal capitalism at this point. That, and/or a degree of naivete or ignorance that allows them to be unaware of the ongoing decline that's part of late stage capitalism.

My father was a public prosecutor in Germany, working on economic crimes. After the reunification, a lot of West German crooks took advantage of the financial naïveté of Easterners. One of the victims he interviewed, when asked if he wasn't suspicious of the promised two-figure gains of his "investment", earnestly told him "but capitalism is supposed to achieve things like that!"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Raygereio posted:

I think they aren’t slapping it down because most of the people in said regulatory agencies have people older than dirt as their bosses, and the bosses aren’t prioritizing something they literally lack the knowledge to understand.

It’s hard to get an old fart in Congress to care or understand that poor people are getting fleeced while he has a few Goldman Sachs lobbyists pouring money down his pants.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

smellmycheese posted:

I’m honestly surprised we haven’t had “Minecraft but you’re actually mining for real bitcoins” yet. It can only be a matter of time.

Sending my kids to work in the bitcoin mines of minecraft

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

JammyB posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-04-ea-says-nfts-will-be-an-important-part-about-the-future-of-our-industry

This is great EA and Ubisoft are going to finally get with the times and put NFTs in games. I bet industry leaders like these will be able to silence the doubters here who say it doesn't do anything you can't already do with an SQL instance and that it's a (bad) solution looking for a problem.

Finally get an Ape Escape remaster at last though?

it's absolutely just executives saying buzzwords so investors don't think that they're behind the times: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-11-05-baseless-nft-hype-hits-a-crescendo-but-its-play-to-earn-thats-worth-watching-opinion

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
A large part of the world population are easily convinced that price and value are more than distantly related.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Sashimi posted:

Sounds like some sort of scheme... Something vaguely triangular in shape....

the term is triangular prism of flim-flammery!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Plant MONSTER. posted:

the term is triangular prism of flim-flammery!

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Ningi

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

So close, and yet so, so far.

One day they may get it, let’s hope it’s before the earth boils over. :unsmith:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You just invented EVE Online

great, they heard you

https://concord-killmail.eveonline.com/how-it-works

e: how "energy efficient" is a proof of stake blockchain like tezos? I'm sure relative to proof of work it's better but how many trees are dying for this pointless buzzword

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 5, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This video goes into the whole NFT block chain poo poo when it comes to games.

“Play to earn” is the new set of buzzwords.

https://youtu.be/V6zxJV92gAk

I like how people pretend something is new as long as they add the word blockchain.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

snorch posted:

A large part of the world population are easily convinced that price and value are more than distantly related.

No worries, in a couple months when bull market ends people can find out what happens when price re- correlates with value.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

trying to get a hold of a rtx 2060 today

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

snorch posted:

Yes, this. It gets so warped it's not even funny. And it's also highly leveraged against the poor in multiple ways.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1456214657815904260?s=20

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/arthurtaytsohn/status/1456694392966762498?s=21

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NtotheTC posted:

great, they heard you

https://concord-killmail.eveonline.com/how-it-works

e: how "energy efficient" is a proof of stake blockchain like tezos? I'm sure relative to proof of work it's better but how many trees are dying for this pointless buzzword

It depends on the design specifics of each blockchain, but it shouldn't be particularly power-heavy.

Proof-of-work is explicitly designed to waste an absolute ton of energy on purpose, because the cost of maintaining all that computing power is the limiting factor that's prevents just anyone from taking over the chain with a 51% attack.

Proof-of-stake, on the other hand, uses "how much coin you have" as the limiting factor. Because each miner is only allowed influence (and mining ability) in proportion to the amount of coins they ante up, there isn't any need to go out of its way to waste energy for the sake of verification.

IMO, PoS is pretty funny and it's only a matter of time until we get some good laughs from it, but it's likely true that it won't be an utter climate disaster the way PoW was.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading about NFTs trying to figure out how you "link" your ownership of a particular image or video or whatever, and boy howdy do these scammers really work hard to obfuscate how the sausage is made. Lots of platitudes about how "this gives you ownership!" and other worthless crap about how it's not really that bad for the environment, green energy will save us, etc. but absolutely nothing linking how they would link the etherium address to the image.

Are the images hashed and that's what's loaded to the blockchain? The full image? What prevents me from changing a random pixel with a value of #06A89D to #05A89D and uploading it as the original?

If I didn't care about the environment and the future of humanity, I might be tempted to get that stupid picture of the monkey that nerd owned, change one pixel, then upload it and claim it is the original to gently caress with them. Then again, that'd require me owning Etherium and I'm a knuckle-dragging idiot loser accountant and even I'm not that stupid.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the image is not encoded, just a url linking to a site hosting it

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

punishedkissinger posted:

But that’s even dumber!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Life is stranger than fiction because if you wrote a book where large numbers of people mortgage their homes to buy monkey jizz you'd have to think up a reason why. Real life has no such requirement.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Couldn't you just sell someone an NFT linking to a randomly generated monkey (highly sought after) and change the image linked there at a later date to, say, a man stretching his anus?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Butterwagon posted:

Couldn't you just sell someone an NFT linking to a randomly generated monkey (highly sought after) and change the image linked there at a later date to, say, a man stretching his anus?

You could indeed! Not only that, but you could even configure the server so that it automatically looks different based on which site you're looking at it on!

https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1448066582274617344
https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1448066586003259393
https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1454863786783875075

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Funds are safe?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

funeral home DJ posted:

Are the images hashed and that's what's loaded to the blockchain? The full image? What prevents me from changing a random pixel with a value of #06A89D to #05A89D and uploading it as the original?

It's normally just a url. And btw as far as I know there's nothing stopping someone creating another NFT pointing to the exact same url, or the exact same image at another url, or another url pointing at the original image resource.

So no need to even open MS paint to adjust a pixel is what I'm saying.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Wait, they don't even store a hash of the image? Then how does anyone claim they "own" the image they have an NFT of if the only thing on the blockchain is the URL?

Why would a technology based almost entirely on cryptographic hashing not use it to ensure the "property" is actually secure?

Why can't you keep selling NFTs of the same image stored at different URLs?

I'm losing my mind

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Butterwagon posted:

Wait, they don't even store a hash of the image? Then how does anyone claim they "own" the image they have an NFT of if the only thing on the blockchain is the URL?

Why would a technology based almost entirely on cryptographic hashing not use it to ensure the "property" is actually secure?

I'm losing my mind

It really is just a registry scam, just with the "rights" to a pixelated monkey instead of having a star named after you.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Main Paineframe posted:

You could indeed! Not only that, but you could even configure the server so that it automatically looks different based on which site you're looking at it on!

https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1448066582274617344
https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1448066586003259393
https://twitter.com/moxie/status/1454863786783875075

Oh wow, they've rediscovered central ownership authority.

Next they'll discover ownership disputes and reinvent courts

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Butterwagon posted:

Wait, they don't even store a hash of the image?

Then how does anyone claim they "own" the image they have an NFT of if the only thing on the blockchain is the URL?

Addressed in order:

Nope

Self-delusion

Because it's being implemented by idiots who think "crypto" is a magic incantation

You absolutely can

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Butterwagon posted:

I'm losing my mind

Once again if it sounds dumb, you're getting it right.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pham Nuwen posted:

Addressed in order:

Nope

Self-delusion

Because it's being implemented by idiots who think "crypto" is a magic incantation

You absolutely can

You must be explaining it wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Butterwagon posted:

I'm losing my mind

The real value of NFTs is how everyone who doesn't buy into them goes through exactly this and then gets to enjoy it when the next person finds out exactly what NFTs are and how they work.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Salt Fish posted:

You must be explaining it wrong.

Well they are.

Because also there's no rule that says you have to own the URL to mint an nft. You can literally Google image search a picture and mint an nft of someone else's web content

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Does the NFT even have to be a url or can I make an NFT of pi or something and sell it for a bazillion dollars?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Oh cool, now I see why they refuse to tell you how any of this works. It’s 1,000 times stupider than I ever could imagine.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

has anyone actually linked a nft jpg url in this thread, or twitter or some other very public posting space?

or is it also just rightclicking or screen caping? Also I thought png was the superior image format to rule them all.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

So if I have an image on my hard drive, the only way for me to be sure it isn't someone else's "property" is to compare it to every NFT in existence, right? Because they don't index the content or the hash so there's no way to look up an image in the blockchain?

This seems like a problem