Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jimbot posted:

If you feel so strongly about this point, I'm open to examples of where this is so super apparent that I'm some kind of oblivious moron for missing. Maybe I did miss it but nothing comes to mind other than Lan being Lan. It's cool that if I were to reread this book after going through the whole thing and somehow remembering all of it that I'd pick up on these things but as a first time through it is sudden and not good.

No one's saying you're oblivious, but "because I didn't pick up on it it means the book is bad for using it later" is a really, *really* weird take. Authors do this all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The big one is

There are others later but that's the big hint. It's all fairly low key because they're both types that hide their romantic emotions and we don't see much from their viewpoints in the first book.

Yea, that's obvious for Nynaeve crushing on Lan, but on a re-read people notice that that's when Lan kinda-sorta starts crushing on Nynaeve too. He really digs her tracking and survivalist skills and it just flows from there.

I really love those two as a couple, I think they're my favorite in the whole series aside from Rand and Min.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think they're my favorite in the whole series aside from Rand and Min.

Berelain/Galad ftw

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It's certainly not a romance novel but i def spotted the Nynaeve and Lan thing on a reread. Admittedly, I was all wtf?! on the first readthrough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rarity posted:

Berelain/Galad ftw

Why did I think that was going to be Mat/Tylin Mitsobar until I clicked on it?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Rarity posted:

Berelain/Galad ftw

I always forget that they get together. In my mind all she does is harass Perrin and all he does is be weirdly legit good Whitecloak.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also this is a thread for a book series that is literally 14 novels long with later ones being notably longer than the earlier ones so maybe the ones who have read it all have a bit more insight into how maybe the chemistry between two characters is something that's there and gets developed fully later on instead of us being delusional

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Rarity posted:

- Their whole dynamic during the Perrin/Egwene rescue where Lan almost disobeys Moiraine to save her

Lan goes from "what a bunch of morons, I don't think you're worth it no matter what Moiraine says" to getting middle named by Moiraine for turning around and going back for Nynaeve in the next breath

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Nyneave and Lan took me a little by surprise my first time through, as well. So I can understand that. And Jordan did it even *more* so with two other characters right at the end and that's never worked for me in my head.

Trying to be halfway vague for the guy reading for the first time. A 1st time book reader thread could be a good idea because I imagine more folks will jump in.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

How are u posted:

Nyneave and Lan took me a little by surprise my first time through, as well. So I can understand that. And Jordan did it even *more* so with two other characters right at the end and that's never worked for me in my head.

Trying to be halfway vague for the guy reading for the first time. A 1st time book reader thread could be a good idea because I imagine more folks will jump in.

I do appreciate that in that case, there's a third party standing nearby who says "What? Where did this come from?!" Because there are hints about those two, they're just subtle and mostly are disconnected comments to other people, or internal thoughts, or the characters are alone. So in-world, nobody had any idea at all.

It's something I find fascinating about detailed first-time reads (Nexue, Wheel Takes): seeing how much people pick up on, that I missed, by reading each chapter very closely and stopping to analyze each one, make predictions about where everything's going.

"Master Bard."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Those two relationships are fun because they’re actually super obvious before they become explicit but only if you’re familiar with the tropes of a certain type of antiquated Romance novel, where characters often engage in flirtation that looks like an argument.

That, and on second readings you go from “Huh, Nynaeve tracked Lan” to “Holy poo poo, I forgot that Nynaeve tracked Lan!”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, a lot of the romance in WoT makes more sense when you connect the dots to the literal bodice ripper historical romance novel series Jordan wrote immediately before WoT.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ll agree with the hints for Lan and Nynaeve. But you can’t loving convince me there was anything for Thom and Moraine, I will not hear the nonsense.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Those two relationships are fun because they’re actually super obvious before they become explicit but only if you’re familiar with the tropes of a certain type of antiquated Romance novel, where characters often engage in flirtation that looks like an argument.

That, and on second readings you go from “Huh, Nynaeve tracked Lan” to “Holy poo poo, I forgot that Nynaeve tracked Lan!”

The spoiler relationship really isn’t. Thom has a POV with an interaction with Moiraine in the Stone of Tear and there’s no evidence of any affection. If anything, he’s got a mild contempt. He doesn’t interact with her again until her return, where they’re both madly in love.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're both playing the game and are adapt enough at it they don't make gently caress eyes at each other. The big hints imo are how Thom talks about her to the boys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prairie Bus posted:

The spoiler relationship really isn’t. Thom has a POV with an interaction with Moiraine in the Stone of Tear and there’s no evidence of any affection. If anything, he’s got a mild contempt. He doesn’t interact with her again until her return, where they’re both madly in love.

Bollocks

Thom's very impressed by her both for her looks and her political savvy and he's hinting at his attraction from as early as book 2 then after she dies he's constantly moping over her letter. On Moiraine's side she's very warm towards him in Tear and then obviously finds out she'll hook up with him in Rhuidean and hints at it after. Again they're super closed off people so they don't make their affections too explicit

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Rarity posted:

Bollocks

Thom's very impressed by her both for her looks and her political savvy and he's hinting at his attraction from as early as book 2 then after she dies he's constantly moping over her letter. On Moiraine's side she's very warm towards him in Tear and then obviously finds out she'll hook up with him in Rhuidean and hints at it after. Again they're super closed off people so they don't make their affections too explicit

Being impressed ain’t love. And again, he had no more interactions with her after that point. That’s the end of it. If they had previously had a tryst, there should’ve been some kind of hint in his thoughts about her. Jordan changed his mind in later books, but that scene is very clear about his feelings about her. And the Moiraine/Siuan romance someone else mentioned is a way better idea

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prairie Bus posted:

Being impressed ain’t love.

He literally keeps going on about her being a fine woman and very pretty

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Thom has a visceral hate for Aes Sedai, pure nonsense.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I agree that (book 2+ spoilers)Moiraine and Thom is thin, but it's not absent. Their interactions in TEOTW are often flirtatious in a cagey kind of way. Then there's what he says to the boys as was previously mentioned.

Rand and Thom in The Great Hunt:

quote:

Rand could not help laughing. “I left Whitebridge sure you were dead. Moiraine said you were still alive, but I. . . . Light, Thom, it’s good to see you again! I should have gone back to help you.”

“Bigger fool if you had, boy. That Fade”—he looked around; there was no one close enough to hear, but he lowered his voice anyway—“had no interest in me. It left me a little present of a stiff leg and ran off after you and Mat. All you could have done was die.” He paused, looking thoughtful. “Moiraine said I was still alive, did she? Is she with you, then?”

Rand shook his head. To his surprise, Thom seemed disappointed.

“Too bad, in a way. She’s a fine woman, even if she is. . . .” He left it unsaid.
Mat and Thom in The Dragon Reborn

quote:

Neither would leave until the gleeman agreed to eat something, and when they did go, they gave Mat such a combination of stares and sniffs that he could only shake his head. Burn me, you would think I was encouraging him to drink more! Women! But pretty eyes on the pair of them .

“Rand said you were alive,” he told Thom when Mada and Saal were out of hearing. “Moiraine always said she thought you were. But I heard you were in Cairhien, and meaning to go on to Tear.”

“Rand is still well, then?” Thom’s eyes sharpened to almost the keenness Mat remembered. “I am not sure I expected that. Moiraine is still with him, is she? A fine-looking woman. A fine woman, if she were not Aes Sedai. Meddle with that sort, and you get more than your fingers burned.”

Then there's the big giveaway between Thom and Moiraine in The Shadow Rising

quote:

Pushing open the door to his room, he stopped in his tracks. Moiraine straightened as if she had a perfect right to be going through the papers scattered on his table and calmly arranged her skirts as she sat on the stool. Now there was a beautiful woman, with every grace a man could want, including laughing at his quips. Fool! Old fool! She’s Aes Sedai, and you’re too tired to think straight.
This scene has other hints in it that they think of each other more than fondly despite their histories putting each other at odds. It's noteworthy that it's 2 chapters after Moiraine goes through the door to Finnland, also that the entire beginning of TSR is a bunch of romantic plotting that is some of the most forthright stage setting we get for the rest of the series (Egwene dumping Rand so Elayne can pick him up, Berelain and Rand, then Berelain jumping onto the Perrin train, Faile and Perrin, Lan and Nynaeve, etc.). It's basically every important romance except Mat, who is still busy with palace servants and barmaids at this point, and Egwene, who has yet to be saddled with her idiot warder wannabe.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Plus the letter she writes him just before she and Lanfear go through the door is basically a love letter.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nynaeve likes him because he respected her for what she can do, and sees her as a person and not a wisdom. Lan likes her because...? Tha's always never really set well with me, considering he is prime marriage material until he becomes a warder, and loads of Borderland women are tough/capable.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 5, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

All good case for that turn presented but I just didn't buy it. I'm sorry. They're super disconnected and I think they can be taken in any way the first time through. There might be something there in book 1 but not enough for me to realistically buy into what they talked about. For me, I'm willing to buy that those interactions had super strong romantic undertones to them. I'll make that leap in the name of good faith, but what threw me off was Lan talked as if the courtship would lead into marriage and Nynaeve thought so too. It was just weird to me that those examples provide would just go on to "ya, let's get married".

I guess maybe the people in this universe marry the first person they date. Actually, I'd like to know the divorce rate statistic, make it so lore books.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jimbot posted:

All good case for that turn presented but I just didn't buy it. I'm sorry. They're super disconnected and I think they can be taken in any way the first time through. There might be something there in book 1 but not enough for me to realistically buy into what they talked about. For me, I'm willing to buy that those interactions had super strong romantic undertones to them but what threw me off was Lan talked as if the courtship would lead into marriage and Nynaeve thought so too. It was just weird to me that those examples provide would just go on to "ya, let's get married".

I guess maybe the people in this universe marry the first person they date. Actually, I'd like to know the divorce rate statistic, make it so lore books.

The culture of the Two Rivers is this, it's supposed to be a very Puritanic culture. It's played to comedic effect with Rand when he hooks up with a woman and then is like "welp, so when's good for you to get married" and the woman's like, "uh...."

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 5, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

I guess maybe the people in this universe marry the first person they date

Rand and Egwene assume they're gonna be shacked up for life just because they're the first people they crush on

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

All good case for that turn presented but I just didn't buy it. I'm sorry. They're super disconnected and I think they can be taken in any way the first time through. There might be something there in book 1 but not enough for me to realistically buy into what they talked about. For me, I'm willing to buy that those interactions had super strong romantic undertones to them. I'll make that leap in the name of good faith, but what threw me off was Lan talked as if the courtship would lead into marriage and Nynaeve thought so too. It was just weird to me that those examples provide would just go on to "ya, let's get married".

That is kind of a reoccurring thing in the setting. Very short courtships. Many of them off screen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Nynaeve likes him because he respected her for what she can do, and sees her as a person and not a wisdom. Lan likes her because...? Tha's always never really set well with me, considering he is prime marriage material until he becomes a warder, and loads of Borderland women are tough/capable.

I remember being thrown by that as a teen reading the series for the first time. It's easy to get why women like Lann, but what does Lann see in nynaeve?

I think we have to assume that

1) nynaeve is screaming hot

2) he wants an angry passionate lady who isn't afraid of *anything* and who won't let him gwt away with that self sacrifice bullshit

3) he may appreciate that she likes him without knowing he's he's king

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
More on the Shadow Rising scene:

quote:

"I am not thirsty," she said in a pleasant, melodious voice. She leaned forward, and the room was small enough for her to place a hand on his right knee. A chill tingle rippled through him. "I wish a good Healer had been near when this happened. It is too late now, I regret."

"A quiet life would kill you, I think." Sounding distinctly amused, she busied herself rearranging the folds of her skirt with small, slender hands. He had the impression she was hiding a smile. "Tanchico will not, however. I guarantee that, and by the First Oath, you know it for truth."

"Why . . .?" He cleared his throat roughly, tried to make his voice less husky. "Why are you telling me this?"

There was sympathy on Moiraine's face. And could it be regret? Surely not. Not from an Aes Sedai. The sympathy had to be false as well. "I would not have done, had you been willing to go simply to help Elayne and Nynaeve."

"I will teach you that not all Aes Sedai are like those Reds, Thom. You must learn that."

It's actually a pretty complex scene since Moiraine is obviously manipulating Thom and there's the tension involving Owyn, so quoting fragments of it is a bit unfair. But it's very clear to me when reading it that there's mutual respect and attraction between both of them. And also that Moiraine already knows at least something of their fate from the Aelfinn, though possibly only that he might rescue her, not that they'll be romantically involved.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe Lan just wants to get his dick wet

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I remember being thrown by that as a teen reading the series for the first time. It's easy to get why women like Lann, but what does Lann see in nynaeve?

I think we have to assume that

1) nynaeve is screaming hot

2) he wants an angry passionate lady who isn't afraid of *anything* and who won't let him gwt away with that self sacrifice bullshit

3) he may appreciate that she likes him without knowing he's he's king

Regarding 1, I think this is pretty clear. The whole "older women don't like/respect me because I look young" thing is code for the trope that women hate other women who are better looking than them. This is a widely disparaged trope for good reason, but it was a very prevalent male attitude at the time of writing and still persists today.

Hexel posted:

Maybe Lan just wants to get his dick wet

According to New Spring, he has never had a problem in that area.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Regarding 1, I think this is pretty clear. The whole "older women don't like/respect me because I look young" thing is code for the trope that women hate other women who are better looking than them.

:dafuq:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It's a very common sexist trope from male writers in the 20th century and also today

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

what does lan see in nynaeve except for the part where she is beautiful, cool, impressive, and likes him? who can say, men are mysteries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lotta people who don't understand the basics of human attraction itt

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lan only wants to bed the sword, thank you very much.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Regarding 1, I think this is pretty clear. The whole "older women don't like/respect me because I look young" thing is code for the trope that women hate other women who are better looking than them. This is a widely disparaged trope for good reason, but it was a very prevalent male attitude at the time of writing and still persists today.

There's also the fact that a lot of older women don't like having to defer to a younger one, and that can make younger women in power defensive. It's the whole "respect your elders" thing turned up to 11.

Yes, I had to manage a 50-something year old woman when I was 19. Yes, she was hell to work with, and made it explicit that it was an age thing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Invalid Validation posted:

Lan only wants to bed the sword, thank you very much.

Brings a new meaning to Sheathing the Sword

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rarity posted:

It's a very common sexist trope from male writers in the 20th century and also today

i get that it's a thing that exists in our world, was more thinking that

Soysaucebeast posted:

There's also the fact that a lot of older women don't like having to defer to a younger one, and that can make younger women in power defensive. It's the whole "respect your elders" thing turned up to 11.

this seemed way more plausible in the book because people are obsessing about age constantly, and one of the big inflection points between AS, Wise Ones, and Kin is whether they defer to elders or to strength in the power

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yes, I had to manage a 50-something year old woman when I was 19. Yes, she was hell to work with, and made it explicit that it was an age thing.

Yeah I mean, that's absolutely the overt way to read all of it and an important component, but the way he writes Nynaeve and Elayne especially when comparing them to other female characters makes it clear that these two are, to use the sexist terminology, 10s in a world of 6s who are just jealous.

Another giveaway is that Aviendha is clearly stupidly good looking as well, but he writes the Aiel interactions in a way that it's clear that they care about competence and honor much more than appearance outside of overtly sexual/romantic interactions. A lot of this is cemented in her confusion when dealing with other female wetlanders.

So yeah, while I don't really think RJ endorsed this kind of attitude, he wrote the wetlanders as a society where sexist tropes of catty-rear end women come to life.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Vavrek posted:

It's part of Nynaeve's deal, but not all. Nynaeve, at the start of the series, is 25-26 years old, and has been head of the Women's Circle for some time. This means she's supposed to have all the matriarchs of Emond's Field deferring to her. She also looks young for her age, appearing somewhere in her early 20s, because she's been channeling the One Power since ... I think since she was a teenager? She talks about the first time she did but I forget what clues there are to her age in the story.

Like, I'm sure she's hot. She also actually has been a 20something in positions of authority over much older people.
Agreed - age is a factor and probably the major one for a lot of these women, but looks are clearly part of it too.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

It's part of Nynaeve's deal, but not all. Nynaeve, at the start of the series, is 25-26 years old, and has been head of the Women's Circle for some time. This means she's supposed to have all the matriarchs of Emond's Field deferring to her. She also looks young for her age, appearing somewhere in her early 20s, because she's been channeling the One Power since ... I think since she was a teenager? She talks about the first time she did but I forget what clues there are to her age in the story.

Like, I'm sure she's hot. She also actually has been a 20something in positions of authority over much older people.