Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If my Sorcerer-Priest doesn't have the biggest most elaborate hat in the land, I don't even know if I can stomach the new art direction in this case.

Sorcerer Priest Sinister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Oh no, Mr. HAT ! What have you DONE ?!?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Other than using Dropzone terrain, does anyone have any good suggestions for 6-8mm scale terrain that I can print off, preferably on an FDM printer? Most of what I find online is scaled to the "standard" size tabletop games.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Randalor posted:

Other than using Dropzone terrain, does anyone have any good suggestions for 6-8mm scale terrain that I can print off, preferably on an FDM printer? Most of what I find online is scaled to the "standard" size tabletop games.

You can take that stuff and scale it to 25%, and that's basically what they've done for Epic scale.

Grim Dark Terrain do nice stuff, but you'll spend a while printing it depending on your plate size.

Thingiverse had a ton last time I checked, you just need to search by the Titanicus or Epic tags.

There's also plenty of stls for sale.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

Wake's Emporium has some pretty good and cheap files https://wakesemporium.gumroad.com/l/UuZAXj. I scaled this Sacrusmundus set down to about 25%, I think, and it printed fine on my lovely FDM printer https://www.myminifactory.com/objec...wargames-168180

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imperialterrain/cendre-prime

They say it's optimized for FDM.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

The last ganger for my starting Necromunda gang is finished! Just in time for the campaign starting this weekend.

Loved this project, and I still have a few more models to go but I'm going to turn my focus back to the terrain I've been building. My favorite of the group are probably the Queen (top center) and the Death Maiden (bottom left).

x-post from the mini-painting thread.

Really excited for the campaign!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

Wake's Emporium has some pretty good and cheap files https://wakesemporium.gumroad.com/l/UuZAXj. I scaled this Sacrusmundus set down to about 25%, I think, and it printed fine on my lovely FDM printer https://www.myminifactory.com/objec...wargames-168180

They still looked good at 25% scale? I'll give that a try this weekend and see how well my Ender 3 Pro likes handing tiny buildings.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - does anyone have any general tips and tricks for going up against Nurgle (as 'zons) in BB2?

From what I've gathered so far, I should be steering clear of the Beast (or have one blocking its way, so it can't mark multiple players), dodge from their big tough guys, and focus on their rotters and pestigors. (Pestigors seem to be quite good, on paper. And rotters because I can hopefully take them out more easily, due to decay. Then I can hopefully outnumber them and have an edge for the rest of the game)

Is that about it? I don't have much experience with Nurgle, in general

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - does anyone have any general tips and tricks for going up against Nurgle (as 'zons) in BB2?

From what I've gathered so far, I should be steering clear of the Beast (or have one blocking its way, so it can't mark multiple players), dodge from their big tough guys, and focus on their rotters and pestigors. (Pestigors seem to be quite good, on paper. And rotters because I can hopefully take them out more easily, due to decay. Then I can hopefully outnumber them and have an edge for the rest of the game)

Is that about it? I don't have much experience with Nurgle, in general

That's pretty much it, yeah. Remember that fouling the Rotters is also going to risk greater damage via decay. Play dirty to try and establish a numbers advantage, and hopefully your Dodge holds strong and you can frustrate their attempts to strike back.

They're one of the few teams that are substantially slower than you, but they also have enough models to block off the entire board with ST4+ so it's still going to be risky.

I think you're unlikely to lose, but by the same token, it might be difficult for you to win.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Squibsy posted:

That's pretty much it, yeah. Remember that fouling the Rotters is also going to risk greater damage via decay. Play dirty to try and establish a numbers advantage, and hopefully your Dodge holds strong and you can frustrate their attempts to strike back.

They're one of the few teams that are substantially slower than you, but they also have enough models to block off the entire board with ST4+ so it's still going to be risky.

I think you're unlikely to lose, but by the same token, it might be difficult for you to win.

Oh, right! Thanks, I didn't think of that. Yeah that sounds good then - I'll have to see if I can get an easy foul in, on one of his best rotters. (If there is such a thing as a good rotter :v: )

And yeah, all that STR4 concerns me...I'm hoping I can focus on 1-2 of them, knock them over, then rush past with the ball. We'll see though.

Oh also, are there any guides on 'opening formations' (for lack of a better word. Arranging your guys at the start of every drive, I mean) for Amazons? Since I tend to have them laid out like this:

Apologies for the bad MS Paint job, haha

This is similar to how I arranged my Lizardmen, although I gave them slightly more aggressive positioning, depending on the matchup. I dunno. It's worked alright most of the time, but I always feel like I could be doing better. I'll generally kick 1-2 spaces back from the middle on their side, too. (often one diagonal-back to whichever is their weaker side, depending on the matchup)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You should at the very least start thinking of different setups for Offence and Defence.

One thing I am fond of doing when defending as a comparatively more mobile team against a comparatively less mobile one (that usually is a bashier, lower Agility and/or lower Movement side) is to place my three line of scrimmage players all the way over to the side of the middle zone. This usually baits them into more heavily committing on that side, as they usually want to maximise their blocking against your scrimmage line, and therefore forces a looser line on the open flank that you might be able to punch through and get into their backfield to harass the ball carriers (great against slower/poor AG players.) It also helps to dictate the flow of their game, as if they can't easily switch direction on their offence due to being slower or less able to dodge, you generally know they are coming this way and you can stall them out with column defence and wait for them to make a mistake or to turn over. Additionally, these kind of lopsided setups really come into their own if you have a player with Frenzy as forcing the opponent to play to one side often ends up leading them to be in the danger zone for a crowd surf.

Another thing to consider is whether your three scrimmage players should be placed in a tight line or looser formation. Again, this mostly depends on what your opponent is like. If they mostly have ST3 players then you can exert some influence on how they will deploy their front line - they almost always will seek to block each of your scrimmage players and set up to get two dicers accordingly, which can mean requiring two players per defender (for a total of six committed) if you leave space between them, whereas placing your defenders in a tight line means they can usually get two dicers and multiple attempts to hit using five of their players. Against teams that are mostly ST3, they often have more capability to dodge, and so a looser formation also maximises your spread of tackle zones, and that helps too.

If they have plenty of ST4+ players, they can two dice you with ease regardless of where you are, so it matters less, but the consideration of where you want their players to go can still influence your deployment choices.

Offensive setups with a team like amazons should try to focus on concentrating your block players in whichever part of their line is weakest, and giving you plenty of free players so that you can assemble a screen to prevent a counter-attack. You generally don't want to risk making a passing play with blanket AG3++ as it's just not reliable enough, but it can work, so having a potential receiver on your wide flank is always a good insurance policy in case your drive gets stalled. Of course, if you're lucky enough to get +MA or +AG on your players, that opens up a lot of potential, and you can start playing Elfier.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I broke down and bought a GW AT Reaver, wow is this thing complicated.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Well, I won! Thanks for the tips - the score was 1-0 in the end. I adjusted my existing tactics a little, and it went well. One of his warriors is out for the next game, and another died but regenerated. Not bad for me, despite a MNG! (Only a crippled liney though, so eh)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

I broke down and bought a GW AT Reaver, wow is this thing complicated.

Magnetise the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0J9adlCEY

There's a build video on the channel as well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So just out of curiosity, about how "fair" is a game of AT where it's 1 Warmaster against a roughly equivilant points-cost of smaller Titans?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

So just out of curiosity, about how "fair" is a game of AT where it's 1 Warmaster against a roughly equivilant points-cost of smaller Titans?

I think it's like any other game - the two sides might be equal, and it may be a fair fight toe to toe, but there are objectives in the game and if you can't obtain those objectives, you're gonna lose the game.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
With all the Blood Bowl/BB2 talk I'm seeing.. I figure I ought to make people aware that plenty of tabletop leagues are now coming out of hibernation.

Confirming that the 2020 rules are pretty great and that nothing beats playing across the pitch from your opponent.

I can put people in touch with leagues in the US Northeast- just hit me up with a PM.

Our own league is just north of Boston (and happy to take more!)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Woodstock posted:

Confirming that the 2020 rules are pretty great

Can you go into more detail? My main BB friend plays in a lot of league stuff and said they're generally iffy to unhappy with it. I think his main complaints were star player stuff.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Randalor posted:

On planet bowling ball it would be rough, if it were reasonable cover reasonably fair, given you could get a scout titan or two round the back. Basically lighter, fast units should be able to get round the back and stuck keep stabbing it in the ankles until it dies.

Have you considered Cerastus knight lancers?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thundercloud posted:

On planet bowling ball it would be rough, if it were reasonable cover reasonably fair, given you could get a scout titan or two round the back. Basically lighter, fast units should be able to get round the back and stuck keep stabbing it in the ankles until it dies.

Have you considered Cerastus knight lancers?

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to a specific game I had coming up, just curious if it was reasonably fair, or if it was a case of "more Titans win by default because of how quickly they can strip shields and bleed it to death"/"Warmaster wins because of the sheer level of firepower it can bring to bear" or something similar.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Can you go into more detail? My main BB friend plays in a lot of league stuff and said they're generally iffy to unhappy with it. I think his main complaints were star player stuff.

In no particular order (specifically for league play):

Skill progression has been greatly improved- it's quite a bit less luck based to always be trying to roll doubles. Less stat gains (they're expensive in terms of SPP and have their own chance built in) lets individual players stand out more. You can now be more intentional in the strategies you go for (do you save up?) for long vs short term gain in league play.

The redrafting system is a huge relief for balance. I always felt like the game balance doesn't really/scale work well at the really high TV's. It's a bit of a safety valve.

The redrafting system makes coaches now think more about not just player progression, but team progression between seasons, since players now don't last forever. You can spend redraft budget to intentionally keep some players around, which is a part of the cost/benefit. Credit to one of the BB podcasts (FUMBBL?) for bringing this up. I think it adds a nice dynamic and adds to more of the story that everyone participates together in for a league.

Piling On is gone. Mighty Blow doesn't synergize with claws for the AV roll. Mutations teams are still pretty strong, just now there's not that instant go-to.

Decay is now not quite as bad. All skeletons on Khemri now have thick skull. Khemri still a really tough team to play.

The passing stat being added is huge. Now Elven teams are now longer all Harlem Globetrotters. It also makes sense... just because someone is good at running and dodging doesn't make them good throwers. I personally think Elven Union could use a tiny additional improvement to some of their PA stats but they're solidly a Tier 2 team.

Black Orcs are a pretty cool team. (Snotlings were released just before BB2020 and also pretty cool.)

For specifically Star Players in league play:
I'm personally not very excited about a few of them being really cheap for the value they bring. For League Play the idea of star players is fine overall. Nobody in our league has used one yet. Hypothetically you could have a really tryhardy person just build a team arond taking a star player nonstop but we haven't seen that here. Also it just doens't seem like a fun thing to do on one's team. In this hypothetical case just ban certain stars in a league like Hakflem or make them cost more. Bing bang boom.

For specifically Star Players in constructed tournament play:
The only 'meta' I'm aware of right now are some of the stars (Morg, Hakflem, maybe another) being run with ultra low TV teams. That's happened in the big tourneys that allow em. Fortunately there's a super easy solution.... don't allow star players in tournaments! The NAF tournaments around here in the Northeast US don't use em and have been great. Maybe a future rebalancing will make Haklfem more reasonable but in the short term there's are 100% workarounds.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Woodstock posted:

In no particular order (specifically for league play):

Skill progression has been greatly improved- it's quite a bit less luck based to always be trying to roll doubles. Less stat gains (they're expensive in terms of SPP and have their own chance built in) lets individual players stand out more. You can now be more intentional in the strategies you go for (do you save up?) for long vs short term gain in league play.

The redrafting system is a huge relief for balance. I always felt like the game balance doesn't really/scale work well at the really high TV's. It's a bit of a safety valve.

The redrafting system makes coaches now think more about not just player progression, but team progression between seasons, since players now don't last forever. You can spend redraft budget to intentionally keep some players around, which is a part of the cost/benefit. Credit to one of the BB podcasts (FUMBBL?) for bringing this up. I think it adds a nice dynamic and adds to more of the story that everyone participates together in for a league.

Piling On is gone. Mighty Blow doesn't synergize with claws for the AV roll. Mutations teams are still pretty strong, just now there's not that instant go-to.

Decay is now not quite as bad. All skeletons on Khemri now have thick skull. Khemri still a really tough team to play.

The passing stat being added is huge. Now Elven teams are now longer all Harlem Globetrotters. It also makes sense... just because someone is good at running and dodging doesn't make them good throwers. I personally think Elven Union could use a tiny additional improvement to some of their PA stats but they're solidly a Tier 2 team.

Black Orcs are a pretty cool team. (Snotlings were released just before BB2020 and also pretty cool.)

For specifically Star Players in league play:
I'm personally not very excited about a few of them being really cheap for the value they bring. For League Play the idea of star players is fine overall. Nobody in our league has used one yet. Hypothetically you could have a really tryhardy person just build a team arond taking a star player nonstop but we haven't seen that here. Also it just doens't seem like a fun thing to do on one's team. In this hypothetical case just ban certain stars in a league like Hakflem or make them cost more. Bing bang boom.

For specifically Star Players in constructed tournament play:
The only 'meta' I'm aware of right now are some of the stars (Morg, Hakflem, maybe another) being run with ultra low TV teams. That's happened in the big tourneys that allow em. Fortunately there's a super easy solution.... don't allow star players in tournaments! The NAF tournaments around here in the Northeast US don't use em and have been great. Maybe a future rebalancing will make Haklfem more reasonable but in the short term there's are 100% workarounds.

I disagree with everything you said :blush:

Edit: Except maybe your points about redrafting, but then I only ever played in single season leagues

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Squibsy posted:

I disagree with everything you said :blush:

Even the passing stat splitting from Agi?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Randalor posted:

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to a specific game I had coming up, just curious if it was reasonably fair, or if it was a case of "more Titans win by default because of how quickly they can strip shields and bleed it to death"/"Warmaster wins because of the sheer level of firepower it can bring to bear" or something similar.

The Warmaster is pretty brutal, but the standard list building rules means you need to have a maniple (3-5 titans of varying classes) before you add a Warmaster to the list. You COULD add a warmaster to a minimum sized maniple of Warhounds, but... don't be that guy.

The Warmaster has some pretty solid shielding, but it's armour is impressive enough that you really want some of the bigger titan killer weapons in the game to deal with it. With reasonable amounts of terrain, a Corsair maniple (3-5 reavers which gain some movement bonuses) armed with melee weapons could probably close fast enough and stay out of arc enough to avoid being destroyed by the Warmasters pretty punishing weapons and get into melee where they can really, really start to put the hurt on.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

Even the passing stat splitting from Agi?

That's a change that I dislike, but which I can cope with. I don't think it improves the game in any way, but it doesn't ruin anything either.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In AT, do the Cerastus Knights have any options for their weapons, or is it just the Questoris knights that have a few options? I'm going to assume the Cerastus knights are just spear-and-shield going by their 40k Forgeworld equivilants.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

In AT, do the Cerastus Knights have any options for their weapons, or is it just the Questoris knights that have a few options? I'm going to assume the Cerastus knights are just spear-and-shield going by their 40k Forgeworld equivilants.

They can also have a chainfist and flamer, or sword and bolt cannon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well. gently caress. Guess I'm going to have to break out the pin vice and magnets. Can I get away with magnetising just the shoulder joint, or do I also need to do the elbow?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The shoulder is easiest, but you might not have enough shoulder bits. I haven't magnetized mine, I just built two of each kind.
The lancers are great, but I like having a couple of ranged guys for when I can't make the charge.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The other Cerastus options have their own kit, as both those and the 40k versions they are based on have a bunch of differences.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Cerastus-Knights-Acheron-and-Castigator-2020

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Adeptus-Titanicus-Cerastus-Knights-2018

Lances are the best option though in my opinion.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Looking at these new Sisters, I'm pretty certain I need a few more to use them in both KT and 40k.

So if anyone's looking to part out a Chalnath box....

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

they're getting released in separate boxes as well

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Do we know when?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Very satisfied with this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Do we know when?

Just listen for the chorus complaining about people fielding a team of Battle Sisters and a team of Initiates.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Do we know when?

Nope. I think the kreig and orks are early next year along with the proper KT starter, so probably not soon.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Played the Blood Bowl Team Manager Card Game for the first time with friends tonight and had a really good time. It's too bad the Fantasy Flight folks aren't still doing games like this because Team Manager and Space Hulk Death Angel are both really fun and match the themes of their big game counterparts well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ended up just egtting some Novitiate body bits on eBay.

Now to figure out how best to build this Kill Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Been reading up on the new Kill Team stuff, do people here generally like the new rules and set? I was a bit confused though that the Death Korps / Ork Kommandos seem to be the only teams in the compendium with very unique units, as opposed to teams like Necrons and poo poo who just have "it's just 5 Warriors and a leader and that's it." I'm assuming with new starter sets, other factions will get more unique teams like the first box?