Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's a big difference between being aware that there are issues with the EU and being pro-Brexit like you claimed. The guy voted remain, campaigned for remain and his party voted majority remain. He's not pro-Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gort posted:

There's a big difference between being aware that there are issues with the EU and being pro-Brexit like you claimed. The guy voted remain, campaigned for remain and his party voted majority remain. He's not pro-Brexit.

I don’t agree with this interpretation of the events or my take on them. In my opinion, his stewardship of the Remain campaign was half-hearted because he is a staunch eurosceptic, and Labour did make for a weak and ineffective opposition throughout the crisis overall. What little effort he put into it was guided by his loyalty to the Labour, which would’ve collapsed had he just been candid with the public and the party. He doubtlessly disagreed with the means proposed by the Leave campaign, since he’s no friend to the British right, but to their desired outcome he was “at best” indifferent.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Lol, yes, Brexit happened because Jeremy Corbyn, personally, did not try hard enough. The absence of Jeremy Corbyn from Poland guarantees that the Polish will never shoot themselves in the dick politically over the fevered neuroses of reactionaries.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
it says a lot about the quality of Remain campaign that Corbyn, for all his faults so diligently listed upthread, was one of the most efficient and active campaigners for Remain, despite, yes, being a noted eurosceptic :v:

libdems (the most pro-Remain party) together with Change UK The Independent Group (a bunch of pro-remain anti-Corbyn liberal MPs peeling off Labour to form their own cool party) completely loving up any chance at having a customs union (and thus softest brexit possible) was cool and good too

nurmie fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 30, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Whether or not Corbyn is personally to blame, I think the fact that only 63% of Labour voters voted remain (compared to 42% of Conservatives) is telling enough. That's really what should be compared here. If the Polish opposition strongly associates itself with European future, and so do their voters, it's a completely different political landscape. The overall support of Polexit right now is ~20%, and while it's steadily growing, so does the number of people who strongly favour remaining in EU. If we compare that to the UK before the referendum, it's lower than support for Brexit was among voters of any large British party that officially was anti-Brexit.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Blaming Corbyn solely for the lacklustre and tone-deaf Remain campaign is peak historical revisionism. The rest of the Remain campaign was a shambles that was continually fighting Corbyn on all points, and let's not forget than the referendum was called by David Cameron, who was a Remain supporter and then resigned after losing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The actual revisionism bit is this parade of posters I’m seeing for the first time in this thread moving the goal posts at speed or sound, because, presumably, someone dares to criticise their favourite politician to any whatsoever extent. At least come up with something more credible than claiming that I deem Corbyn to be the root cause of Brexit becoming a reality.

The point of this entire “conversation” was to highlight that Tusk, unlike Corbyn, is actually enthusiastic about European integration, which is a comparative advantage the Polish opposition does enjoy.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
The remain campaign is basically exactly the Hillary campaign. The liberal political establishment utterly failing to paint a positive vision which appealed to anybody but themselves, instead opting to scold the uppity proles for their wrong opinions and then proceeding to blame the left wing.

This thread is as close as I come to following Polish politics despite being a Polish emigrant, as even my self-loathing has its limits, but I will assume the various PO campaigns against PiS followed a similar playbook.

FWIW I also don’t think Polxit will happen

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The actual revisionism bit is this parade of posters I’m seeing for the first time in this thread moving the goal posts at speed or sound, because, presumably, someone dares to criticise their favourite politician to any whatsoever extent. At least come up with something more credible than claiming that I deem Corbyn to be the root cause of Brexit becoming a reality.

The point of this entire “conversation” was to highlight that Tusk, unlike Corbyn, is actually enthusiastic about European integration, which is a comparative advantage the Polish opposition does enjoy.

The problem is, this comparison kind of falls flat, seeing as the general political situation in the UK at the time of referendum and Poland now are quite different, as it has been pointed out. Not to mention your critique of Corbyn re: his handling of the Remain campaign amounting to little but regurgitating some stale talking points generally coming from people much more responsible for Brexit happening the way it happened than Corbyn ever was.

The fact that a bunch of people lurking this thread delurked to point this out should probably not be dismissed as "moving the goalposts" or "revisionism" or any sort of "lol u mad". I'd advise to treat it as a learning moment instead.

Re Tusk being enthusiastic about EU and all that - most of the UK establishment prior to Brexit was pretty enthusiastic about staying with EU, PM David Cameron included. We all know how that ended up going. While I personally doubt this is indicative of what's going to happen in Poland, it's still something to consider, I'd say.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
A “Polish independence” campaign may go wrong for all kind of reasons, but the fact Tusk is an EU true believer will not be chief among them. It does seem like any issue of “whatever PiS says is a good idea”, including Polexit, is going to be more polarised along party lines than Brexit was.

Crucially, as has been said already, Poland receives a lot of money from the EU and is a lot more reliant on cross-border work and trade. Pro-leave arguments on economic grounds will be a tough sell. In the UK the message was “keep the foreigners out and get more money for the NHS”. In Poland it would be “stop the gays but your potholes won’t get fixed”.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't think any economical argument is going to be persuasive. It wasn't with Brexit and it won't be in Poland. That's the real danger – leaving the EU isn't debated on the level of economic or geostrategic policy. Instead it's a mix of political brinkmanship, internal party politics, and ideology.

This kind of issue can easily take a life of its own divorced from material reality. It almost doesn't matter that the majority of Poles is in favour of the EU, or that there's a large number of people commuting across Poland's borders every day. If the leadership is in a purity spiral and picks fights they can't back away from without losing face, they may do something destructive even if it makes absolutely zero sense.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Technically, Poland can leave the EU by a passing an act in the parliament with a simple majority. If PiS wanted to leave the union, they would have done it already. They just want to have their cake - get funding from the EU - and eat it too - push through whatever domestic policies they think will give them a stronger grip on power and do some tough guy posturing to suck up to the Poland Stronk electorate. Polls consistently show that 90% of Poles support our continued membership in the EU, I don't know what would have to happen to swing public opinion so much as to make leaving a politically advantageous outcome.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I don't think PiS are going for actually breaking away, I think they're just trying to stir up a shitstorm that will allow them to hold on to power while causing trouble for establishment politicos elsewhere. Macron is already pretty timid on reining Poland in because the entire French Right is looking at Poland giving the middle finger to the EU judiciary and thinking "wait, we could weaponize this as well! Cassez-vous, EU courts, FRANCE #1!!!" which basically means that if they decide to go for it, the next French election is entirely fought on the far right's home turf and that should have anyone sane sweating right now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The problem with that is that David Cameron didn't want to leave the EU either, he just was being a clever boy and using the referendum as both a tactic to get more concessions from Europe as well as to bring back the EU critical votes that had gone to Farage's bunch. It's always the risk with trying to be smarter than you really are: if you keep making bullshit promises, at some point people will start asking for the bullshit to happen.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So I guess the polish public TV now shows scenes from movies to scare up anti-immigration support?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Seems like PiS killed their first person with their anti abortion law that was quick.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A woman was denied abortion in 20th week of pregnancy despite a condition lethal to the fetus (anhydramnios, complete lack of amniotic fluid).

She died of sepsis waiting for an overdue abortion.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:staredog: Jesus Christ, seems like between Tomsk grandma, our suicide bomber, and this woman our countries can't catch a break recently. At least Orban hasn't declared himself the emperor of Austria-Hungary yet.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m surprised some podunk town in Italy beat The EE countries to giving Bolsanaro an honorary citizenship, what with Orban’s hard on for him and all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Anne Frank Funk posted:

A woman was denied abortion in 20th week of pregnancy despite a condition lethal to the fetus (anhydramnios, complete lack of amniotic fluid).

Anti-abortion activists always do the same thing, they will keep campaigning for the tightening of legislation to the point where even conservatives start to realize that maybe reproductive rights are more than just a homoliberal battle cry for killing babbies. This is something that could happen to their niece or grand daughter!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This argument never works. They either know full and well that abortion is available if you have the means and know how, or they are true believers and have no problem whatsoever in carrying harlequin babies to term, then baptizing the stillbirths.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Looks like the refugee thing is backfiring for Belarus, German media report that a bunch of people are now stuck in Minsk and that there was an armed standoff between Polish and Belarusian border guards over letting some 250 refugees enter Poland

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Reportedly there has even been a flight or two back to the Middle East from Belarus. Unlikely systemic; yet, but they have less and less time before weather puts all of this on ice.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oof. Fingers crossed for the people.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More and more migrants are seen sleeping rough in Minsk and Hrodna. Those that still have their money and passports stay at hotels, but many don't. Dozens are stuck at the Minsk airport.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In other Belarus news, does anyone have a summary for the 28 integration documents signed last week? I’m perfectly fine with reading it in Russian if that’s the option.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In other Belarus news, does anyone have a summary for the 28 integration documents signed last week? I’m perfectly fine with reading it in Russian if that’s the option.

Here.
http://government.ru/news/43234/

They are very vague and their implementation completely depends on what laws the two parliaments are going/not going to pass to accomplish stated goals.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Here.
http://government.ru/news/43234/

They are very vague and their implementation completely depends on what laws the two parliaments are going/not going to pass to accomplish stated goals.

Cheers, and I from reading it I agree. This amount to a little more than a folder of memoranda of understanding as of yet. A lot of it is fairly benign at that, and could turn out to be just genuinely useful if implemented with care.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cheers, and I from reading it I agree. This amount to a little more than a folder of memoranda of understanding as of yet. A lot of it is fairly benign at that, and could turn out to be just genuinely useful if implemented with care.

A good half of it is already being implemented in one form or another through the Eurasian Economic Union, and for the most part does, indeed, benefit all participants. The issue is that when it's just between two countries, and one of the countries is heavily dependent on the other's political and financial support, it can go very wrong. I don't necessarily think it will, as it's much more likely to be just another useless piece of paper, but it creates some risks. There already have been some noises about finally officially recognising Crimea as part of Russia, although it may again remain an empty promise.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The “selling the country” risk is obviously there, but I’ll cry wolf when we get done substance here.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
"Diplomat found dead outside Berlin embassy was Russian secret agent - Der Spiegel | Reuters"
https://www.reuters.com/world/diplomat-found-dead-outside-berlin-embassy-was-russian-secret-agent-der-spiegel-2021-11-05/

Russians and open windows, wtf.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Close the gatdang windows

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Self defenestration is unfortunately fairly common :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

"Diplomat found dead outside Berlin embassy was Russian secret agent - Der Spiegel | Reuters"
https://www.reuters.com/world/diplomat-found-dead-outside-berlin-embassy-was-russian-secret-agent-der-spiegel-2021-11-05/

Russians and open windows, wtf.

I feel that “secret agent” undersells hypothetical death of an FSB general’s son.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Dobrokhotov made a good point that if you want to kill yourself you do not jump out of a 4th story window

Some good James Bond/бандитский Петербург stuff going on behind the scenes

To add to women-related news, Russia is running out of dissenters to kill/poison/exile and since the repressive apparatus can only be turned up and not down the police state is now trying to find and prosecute women who flashed their tits/asses, pretended to give a blowjob or had a same-sex kiss in front of churches (and made pics) for the crime of offending the feelings of believers (a real crime that is punishable by up to three years in prison).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

aphid_licker posted:

Looks like the refugee thing is backfiring for Belarus, German media report that a bunch of people are now stuck in Minsk and that there was an armed standoff between Polish and Belarusian border guards over letting some 250 refugees enter Poland

yknow, i think they may have bungled this

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1456997851033182212

Belarus and the US now both share the honor of being kicked out of Iraq!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yknow, i think they may have bungled this

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1456997851033182212

Belarus and the US now both share the honor of being kicked out of Iraq!

Coalition of the willing!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Coalition of the willing!

They remembered Poland!

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
The Slovenian prime minister has decided to put grave flowers onto the grave of people who have decided to give their life dedicated to Nazi Germany on the 1st of November and not to the people who defended the country (the communists).

Dude, I know that you hate the communists, but come on.

https://twitter.com/JJansaSDS/status/1455268943187296259

Don't do this.

Just don't. It's the last thing we need during a surge of covid cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Anne Frank Funk posted:

As an emigrant, I keep on waiting for the day the EU tells Poland to gently caress itself. It's embarrassing.