Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Wandered in to MicroCenter today (Parkville, MD) and they had just gotten a RTX restock. Grabbed a Gigabyte 12gb RTX 3060 for $460, which seems like an amazing price these days. Looking to keep the rest of the build around $800. I'm mainly a budget gamer, 1080p at high settings is plenty enough. My four year old Nitro 5 is starting to show its age, but that gives a reference for what kind of power I'm used to. Here's what I'm thinking:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($119.99)
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99)
Power Supply: PowerSpec 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.99)
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 62 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.98)
Total: $832.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-04 22:11 EDT-0400

All prices are from MicroCenter so I can use a store card that gets me 0% for 6 months. Other than getting my hands on an OS, am I missing anything dumb? I'm not super concerned about cooling but even so, will 4 120mm fans and the CPU cooler I selected be sufficient for 1080p gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Wandered in to MicroCenter today (Parkville, MD) and they had just gotten a RTX restock. Grabbed a Gigabyte 12gb RTX 3060 for $460, which seems like an amazing price these days. Looking to keep the rest of the build around $800. I'm mainly a budget gamer, 1080p at high settings is plenty enough. My four year old Nitro 5 is starting to show its age, but that gives a reference for what kind of power I'm used to. Here's what I'm thinking:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($119.99)
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99)
Power Supply: PowerSpec 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.99)
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 62 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.98)
Total: $832.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-04 22:11 EDT-0400

All prices are from MicroCenter so I can use a store card that gets me 0% for 6 months. Other than getting my hands on an OS, am I missing anything dumb? I'm not super concerned about cooling but even so, will 4 120mm fans and the CPU cooler I selected be sufficient for 1080p gaming?

If you can find an 11400 at MSRP I’d probably go that route.

Also an SN550 or something similar instead of paying the Samsung tax.

Also definitely not that PSU. Look for something gold rated, than double check reviews. A brand you recognize is best.

Also is that $27 for a single case fan that’s not a noctua? Forgetting the 3 pack everyone recs, but I’m sure someone will come along and post it here.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
God love the guy I got my CPU from—he made sure I knew what I was buying, offered to give me thermal paste, and even tried cleaning off the old paste (not with isopropyl alcohol; I did that afterwards). But I'm not really confident he knew what he was doing.

Is it okay if a heatsink looks like this?

Thankfully the CPU is somehow unblemished from this knife job, but the heatsink has a pretty bumpy texture now. I was hoping to avoid getting an aftermarket cooler to keep this a "budget" build, but is this even worth reusing?

edit: at least the pins bent back easily enough

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 5, 2021

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you can find an 11400 at MSRP I’d probably go that route.

Also an SN550 or something similar instead of paying the Samsung tax.

Also definitely not that PSU. Look for something gold rated, than double check reviews. A brand you recognize is best.

Also is that $27 for a single case fan that’s not a noctua? Forgetting the 3 pack everyone recs, but I’m sure someone will come along and post it here.

Sorry, the power supply is actually this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/502044/650_Watt_80_Plus_Gold_ATX_Semi-Modular_Power_Supply. $7 cheaper and 80 Plus Gold. Would you still change from that?

How about this for the storage? https://www.microcenter.com/product/628057/inland-professional-1tb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-pcie-gen-3-x4-nvme-m2-internal-solid-state-drive

The $27 is for two fans, yep.

With those changes the price drops to $795.91, which feels great.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Honestly I would not get that PSU.

I’d probably spend the extra for this or the RM650x gold if I was limited to microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...erfect-power-su

If I was not limited to microcenter I’d browse r/buildapcsales daily until something good came up (basically the better version of the PSU I linked above was $80 last week)

If it’s at your microcenter this is your best bet. I don’t know about inlands. You could google some comparative reviews.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...th-3d-tlc-nand-(wds100t2b0c)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

You really don't need 32GB of RAM with your use case if you wanted to save $50.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Checked SysInfo and copied out my “is this Best in Slot or upgradable over time?” processor and motherboard info. Here goes:

Intel Core i7-10700F @ 2.9Ghz with 8 cores/16 logical processors

ASUSTeK computer inc. baseboard manufacturer

TUF Gaming B460M-Plus (WiFi)

I appreciate the advice, and I’ll check back to hear the news in a little while. I know my mobo will never run the 12xxx Intels, but I haven’t looked to see if it will qualify for even a “sidegrade” yet (I did just get home and showered 😇). Any channels or links for where to find this type of info where y’all get this knowledge is appreciated as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

God love the guy I got my CPU from—he made sure I knew what I was buying, offered to give me thermal paste, and even tried cleaning off the old paste (not with isopropyl alcohol; I did that afterwards). But I'm not really confident he knew what he was doing.

Is it okay if a heatsink looks like this?

Thankfully the CPU is somehow unblemished from this knife job, but the heatsink has a pretty bumpy texture now. I was hoping to avoid getting an aftermarket cooler to keep this a "budget" build, but is this even worth reusing?

edit: at least the pins bent back easily enough

Well, it could be better. Most heatsinks are machined flat so that the thermal paste is only filling extremely minor surface imperfections. The best ones are usually almost a mirrored finish but I've had heatsinks with not amazing machined surfaces before and they were usually okay with thermal paste. Being able to feel the scratches isn't great but human fingers are very good at finding tiny differences. I'd probably try it as it, but if the CPU looks hotter than normal when it's running consider two possibilities. The first would be to take that one and put some very high grit sandpaper on something very flat, like glass, and sand it back to flat. The second would be to get a new heatsink. That sort of looks like a stock heatsink (I say only due to the retention mechanism having that plastic) so the latter may be a good idea anyway.

If it's not a huge priority and you're in the US so shipping would make sense, I have the heatsink from my R7 1700 that I only used briefly sitting spare on a shelf. Let me know if you want it and mailing it is sensible. Not sure what CPU you bought but if you're not heavily overclocking the hyper 212 is still a good value. I used to find them in the 20-25 range on sale, although it looks like they've gone up a little recently. I'm running my R7 1700 with a Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B and it's pretty good for $50. I got the Fuma 2 for a secondary system with a 9600K and it's nice, too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Newegg is running a "discount" on the 11400, bringing it down to $200 after a coupon code—just $10 over its launch MSRP! Yeah, it's dumb how much they insist on charging for this CPU, but hey, it's still a pretty good value. https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-11400-core-i5-11th-gen/p/N82E16819118241

This is what you want if you're getting a midrange GPU and aren't looking to do ultra high frame rate esports or lots of productivity stuff.

edit: vvvvv actually, do this if you live near a micro center.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 5, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
FYI, Microcenter has the 11600k for that much

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

drat, you're right. That's a pretty good deal. In-store pickup only, though, and there aren't a lot of micro centers out there. https://www.microcenter.com/product/633423/intel-core-i5-11600k-rocket-lake-39ghz-six-core-lga-1200-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CoolCab posted:

absolutely optimal time to buy last gen secondhand on good deep discount (particularly if you're patient and quick), the 3000 series is starting to show up in numbers on facebook market and such. i'm waiting for DDR5 early adopters to start selling me their high end DDR4 kits for nowt :evilbuddy:

Yea I'm gonna wait until 5600s start floating around on the cheap and get one more use out of this B450 board, I think

Then, five years down the line, I'll think about DDR5

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why are power supplies so expensive? COVID?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Why are power supplies so expensive? COVID?

Yeah. They spiked a little before the 3xxx nvidia cards launched and haven’t come down at all. It was a really brutal price swing and I’m surprised it held.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Checked SysInfo and copied out my “is this Best in Slot or upgradable over time?” processor and motherboard info. Here goes:

Intel Core i7-10700F @ 2.9Ghz with 8 cores/16 logical processors

ASUSTeK computer inc. baseboard manufacturer

TUF Gaming B460M-Plus (WiFi)

I appreciate the advice, and I’ll check back to hear the news in a little while. I know my mobo will never run the 12xxx Intels, but I haven’t looked to see if it will qualify for even a “sidegrade” yet (I did just get home and showered 😇). Any channels or links for where to find this type of info where y’all get this knowledge is appreciated as well.

A quick look says your only upgrade is the 10900k (no 11xxx support). Absolutely not worth it ever in any circumstance.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DerekSmartymans posted:

As has been said there's no useful upgrade that you can do, although you really shouldn't need to for years.

Regarding how you can tell, the 'B460' bit is most of the relevant information. Google that plus 'CPU compatibility' and you'll get it directly from the horse's mouth (Intel or AMD). Or, if you search for the full model of your motherboard and find it on the manufacturer's website, you should very easily be able to find what's compatible.

There's a few niche cases where CPU support is down to the motherboard's manufacturer enabling it through BIOS updates, like with some older AM4 boards, although that's not relevant in your specific case right now.

Regarding where we get this information, directly from the press releases when new chips are being marketed, or from any one of a number of tech youtubers who run the gamut from shouty and entertainment focused to beardy and extremely data driven.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 5, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Rexxed posted:

If it's not a huge priority and you're in the US so shipping would make sense, I have the heatsink from my R7 1700 that I only used briefly sitting spare on a shelf. Let me know if you want it and mailing it is sensible.

Appreciate the offer, but I'm in Canada, which would likely make that too expensive. But you've made me realized that people will probably be fireselling their AM4 coolers soon along with everything else AM4/DDR4, so I might wait for that.

You nailed it though: stock cooler. It'll be sitting on a 2200g (likely no overclocking) for at least a year, so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Microcenter today had the 5800x on sale for $299 and the 5900x for $399, the 12600K/F has already had a massive impact.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm still not sure if I'll go through with it or if it's better to wait till at least black friday, but if I take a trip to Microcenter this weekend (because of the $200 11600k), does anything look off here or missing?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($198.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $809.94

I took the OP's advice of choosing a Z590 motherboard. I'm guessing there's no point in going much cheaper? And wifi is a must for me.

And I still want to do a bit more research on the case. I saw the thread liked the Corsair 4000D Airflow too.

The 970 is obviously my current GPU. Hopefully to be replaced within a year or year and a half. I doubt I'd go for anything beefier than a 3060Ti, so 550W seemed fine.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 5, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'm still not sure if I'll go through with it or if it's better to wait till at least black friday, but if I take a trip to Microcenter this weekend (because of the $200 11600k), does anything look off here or missing?

Try and get a different cooler - the 212 can be difficult to fit. The Arctic Freezer 34 performs as well for the same price and is much more user friendly.

Get 3600 CL16 RAM.

Finally if you're planning on upgrading your GPU at some point I'd want more overhead than a 550W PSU provides. Try to get at least 650W. I'm running a 3080 on a 600W PSU and that's pushing it.

Edit: just saw your edit. I'd still go bigger, a decent PSU can last 5+ years so who knows what the power requirements will be for whatever you'll be buying within that time frame

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Appreciate the offer, but I'm in Canada, which would likely make that too expensive. But you've made me realized that people will probably be fireselling their AM4 coolers soon along with everything else AM4/DDR4, so I might wait for that.

You nailed it though: stock cooler. It'll be sitting on a 2200g (likely no overclocking) for at least a year, so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable.

Most high end coolers will give away or sell additional mounting brackets for new chips, which means it won't be as good as you're thinking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Try and get a different cooler - the 212 can be difficult to fit. The Arctic Freezer 34 performs as well for the same price and is much more user friendly.

Get 3600 CL16 RAM.

Finally if you're planning on upgrading your GPU at some point I'd want more overhead than a 550W PSU provides. Try to get at least 650W. I'm running a 3080 on a 600W PSU and that's pushing it.

Edit: just saw your edit. I'd still go bigger, a decent PSU can last 5+ years so who knows what the power requirements will be for whatever you'll be buying within that time frame

Thanks. Besides saving a bit of money, I remember hearing that PSUs don't scale great, and a higher power PSU would use more power even at lower power draws. But the difference between 550W and 650W in that regard might be marginal, idk.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Ok thread, the 10400 came back in stock so I think I've settled on this for my budget build to go with a surprise buy of a normal 3060:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99)
Motherboard: MSI Z590 PRO WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.99)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99)
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 62 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($39.99 @ B&H)
Total: $720.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 10:56 EDT-0400

That seems to be a reasonable trade off of performance and price for someone who is not thinking about 1440p, let alone 4k, gaming any time soon.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have the Gigabyte Aorus Z590 because it came with the 3080 in the Shuffle. It's okay. The audio out definitely pops on start/wake, but is otherwise clear. All of the NVME slots have screw down heat plates, don't buy anything with an integrated heat sink.

The software is, uh, obnoxious. The Gigabyte App Center continually tries to install Norton Internet Security. You can get the RGB software to work without the app center. It'll keep trying to run services for easytune and whatever else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looks like cases are another victim of COVID. Higher prices, and limited availability.

Alarbus posted:

The software is, uh, obnoxious. The Gigabyte App Center continually tries to install Norton Internet Security. You can get the RGB software to work without the app center. It'll keep trying to run services for easytune and whatever else.

Probably a bad idea to uninstall it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Looks like cases are another victim of COVID. Higher prices, and limited availability.

It's the shipping crisis. Cases are basically the most expensive PC part you can ship on account of their size.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's the shipping crisis. Cases are basically the most expensive PC part you can ship on account of their size.

They're also the worst thing to buy used. I got my H210 off of Reddit for $40 and it's missing a bottom filter mesh and smelled like cigarette smoke for the first week

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

BurritoJustice posted:

Microcenter today had the 5800x on sale for $299 and the 5900x for $399, the 12600K/F has already had a massive impact.

Wow, wonder if any online retailers will get that low. I might have to rethink this $280 5600X that has a return window through the end of the month.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I have been dealing with lot's of life stuff and haven't been able to figure out what Mobo to get here to pretty much have everything I need to start building.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D3GqDc

I would like to figure this out myself, bu I've been exhausted and I cannot figure out what types of connections I need on the board to make this all work with the ports on my case, seems like I might need an adapter for the USB-C port on top but I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I would need there.

A general sanity check on the stuff I bought would be much appreciated too, most of it is still returnable (including that 5600, which I could maybe return to MC and get the 5800 on sale...). Very excited to get this going and the anxiety of doing a new build after all these years has been a monkey on my back for a few weeks now.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Probably a bad idea to uninstall it?

Well at the moment I don't have the app center, disabled the easy tune background services, and the RGB still works. I'm using Intel's XTU to fiddle with the clock speed. When I tried easytune it was functional but super aggressive.

I'll report back if it blows up, I guess. I might have to restart the rgb app manually on restart?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
Thinking about upgrading from my current build, replacing both my main PC (for work at home, gaming, amateur streaming/video editing) and reusing the older parts to replace an even older Phenom II PC I've been using as a HTPC/emulation machine in the living room. I'd be carrying over a bunch of stuff from the existing build to the new PC, including the case SSD & HDD, and GPU. I also just have some extra parts around (a Silverstone ml07B case, a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler), so using those to save on cost would be cool.

Existing PC:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.15 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 120 CL11 58.87 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Patriot Signature 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial BX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AERO Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:34 EDT-0400

I've modified the the GPU cooling with the EVGA C11 cooler and a Kraken bracket to replace the blower which was crazy loud, when I realized I might be stuck with this card for awhile. I'm happy enough with its performance that I don't feel the need to upgrade with the GPUpocalypse going on, so that'll carry over.

So here's the plan :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Neo Forza FAYE 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AERO Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $668.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:45 EDT-0400

and the old stuff in the HTPC:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.15 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Patriot Signature 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:25 EDT-0400

(includes a SIlverstone ML07B case I have sitting in the garage)

Anything seem awry? I suppose I could wait for better deals but the price drop at Microcenter on the 5800x is tempting. Looking at the reviews, the 5800x trades blows with the 12600k in a lot of tasks, is much more power efficient and is overall a cheaper platform. Regardless I'm sure I'll see a massive bump going from the 4690k. I don't need the latest and greatest since I'm sticking with the 1080 anyway. Also not entirely sure what I'll do with my old Phenom build.

Edit: It looks like the Dark Rock Pro 3 I have would need a AM4 bracket, and might not even fit with my GPU cooling on the rear, so now I'm looking at a 280 AIO to mount in the front. The EVGA 280 CLC looks pretty well regarded and good value for ~$80 on amazon

Balloon Time Hooray! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 5, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

...seems like I might need an adapter for the USB-C port on top but I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I would need there.

A general sanity check on the stuff I bought would be much appreciated too

You just need a motherboard with a front USB C header that looks like this:

B550 boards have everything you'd need, make sure it has that header and then choose one based on the rear I/O and whether it has wifi if you need it or not. Here's an option without and with wifi.

The main issue I'd say with your build is that there's very little point to the storage situation you've got going on. Just get a 2TB SN550 instead of one 1TB SN550 and the 1TB SN750. Price wise the difference isn't huge but you'll gain an extra NVMe slot for future upgradability and not lose any noticeable performance. Otherwise it looks fine and everything will work together. A 360mm AIO is wild overkill for the 5600x but I guess you're going for the 'case full of RGB fans' aesthetic. You're already putting 6 RGB fans in there though so if you did want to return the AIO and save yourself $100 you could get an excellent air cooler that would be more than enough for your CPU.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 5, 2021

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

You just need a motherboard with a front USB C header that looks like this:

B550 boards have everything you'd need, make sure it has that header and then choose one based on the rear I/O and whether it has wifi if you need it or not. Here's an option without and with wifi.

The main issue I'd say with your build is that there's very little to point to the storage situation you've got going on. Just get a 2TB SN550 instead of one 1TB SN550 and the 1TB SN750. Price wise the difference isn't huge but you'll gain an extra NVMe slot for future upgradability and not lose any noticeable performance. Otherwise it looks fine and everything will work together. A 360mm AIO is wild overkill for the 5600x but I guess you're going for the 'case full of RGB fans' aesthetic. You're already putting 6 RGB fans in there though so if you did want to return the AIO and save yourself $100 you could get an excellent air cooler that would be more than enough for your CPU.

This is pretty much what I needed to hear, thanks! My storage ended up that way due to deals and buying one off of a friend for very cheap. So even though I'm using up a slot I kinda don't need to, I'll be alright considering the dire state my data storage has been in for years and what I'm getting is going to be a massive upgrade anyway. And you are very correct that my cooling is overkill but I'm going for a fun build with this one. I want it to look cool because I've never been able to make a fun looking computer before, just functional ones, so this is both a treat and a challenge for myself.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

This is pretty much what I needed to hear, thanks! My storage ended up that way due to deals and buying one off of a friend for very cheap. So even though I'm using up a slot I kinda don't need to, I'll be alright considering the dire state my data storage has been in for years and what I'm getting is going to be a massive upgrade anyway. And you are very correct that my cooling is overkill but I'm going for a fun build with this one. I want it to look cool because I've never been able to make a fun looking computer before, just functional ones, so this is both a treat and a challenge for myself.

Fair enough! I got a 1tb sn550 when I built at the end of last year and then filled it in a month so bought 2tb more of the same model and wished I'd just got the 2tb one first to save a slot. It's not a huge deal, when PCIe 4 storage starts to actually be relevant in games and comes down in price a bit I figure I'll just sell the 1tb version and replace it.

Sounds like a fun build, post pics when it's done if you can be arsed, we don't have enough of that here

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Case manufacturers don't seem to like including more than 2 USB ports (either one USB-C one -A, or two -A) . Maybe I'm looking at the wrong price range?

Or maybe it's a motherboard issue?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Don’t forget you can get back brackets that connect to your board headers too. How much poo poo are you trying to hang off the front

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably two of each USB socket. I doubt I'd need four at once, but two of one happens all the time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So this prebuilt is back in stock:

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205?item=N82E16883360205

I’m sorta close to pulling the trigger. I guess my main question now is, from looking at it does it seem like this prebuilt is friendly to upgrading parts? To my eye it seems like it is, but I’m not expert and if I’m going to go in on a prebuilt I’d like to get one that I can upgrade in the future just like a pc I built myself.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Got my Lenovo Legion today and so far so good. Thanks for the recommendations!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So this prebuilt is back in stock:

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205?item=N82E16883360205

I’m sorta close to pulling the trigger. I guess my main question now is, from looking at it does it seem like this prebuilt is friendly to upgrading parts? To my eye it seems like it is, but I’m not expert and if I’m going to go in on a prebuilt I’d like to get one that I can upgrade in the future just like a pc I built myself.

I see nothing that would prevent you from doing so. It uses all standard parts, and the case is a common midtower that shouldn't present any compatibility issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah. They spiked a little before the 3xxx nvidia cards launched and haven’t come down at all. It was a really brutal price swing and I’m surprised it held.

A quick look says your only upgrade is the 10900k (no 11xxx support). Absolutely not worth it ever in any circumstance.

I was pretty sure of that (same with DDR5 RAM), but the WiFi 6 and Bluetooth built in saved me room and/or USB slots, and the “boosted” settings help a bunch at my resolution and frame rate!

Mind linking me where your “quick look” source is, though? I totally believe you are right, but as I approach 50 (my 47th is today!) my Google-fu seems to get worse. I would like to know generally how you find stuff like this just so I don’t have to ramble on and junk up a thread!

Edit:
Questions answered by two posters right under the quoted post! I appreciate all the helpful (and patient) explaining. I can’t believe how far I’ve fallen mentally with my word association. It affects simple terms waaay more than technical words, so I can look at an MRI from Hawaii for a schoolmate, but can’t figure out how to make “compatible chip” work on Google searching :argh: .

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 6, 2021