Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

StrixNebulosa posted:

Impressions of Conan Exiles:
and lol I had to mod in a pause button for single-player mode. How does this even happen?

People compare Valheim to Conal Exciles all the time. You have to mod a pause button into single player Valheim too. :sigh:

Squiggle posted:

Unpacking is something else, I'm really really into the unexpected storytelling.

Wow, I just became a lot more interested in this. I didn't expect any Gone Home-esque elements of storytelling through exploring the characters' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I jumped on it for the zen aspect, and didn't expect it either! I thought the different rooms in the trailers and screenshots were just...you know, random rooms. But you're "playing" the same person through a lifetime of moves, and it's making me realize how much our stuff can tell about us.

It's an extremely pure example of "show-don't-tell," and I'm really into it. If you're interested then I'd suggest skipping my spoilers and go into it as blind as you can, but to elaborate on the first example I blacked out in the boyfriend's apartment, you can move just about anything else - pick up after him, re-arrange his underwear drawer(there's even an achievement!) - but you ain't touching his "babies." It's such a neon red flag that it made me look around again, consider the disparity between your own colorful, sunny things and his sleek, grayscale American Psycho aesthetic. Then, how little space you're really getting in this arrangement. I can practically imagine her pausing, coming to the same dim realizations herself, resigning to sliding her art degree (which, through the ever-growing stock of art supplies or sketch books she never throws out, you know is extremely important to her identity!) under the bed... and then knowing the next level takes place two years later. Tried to make it work for two years. And then a few scenes after that, you realize it was probably even more complicated. And gently caress, maybe I'm reading these situations wrong, too! Did she take this colander out of spite, was it unwanted in the first place, was it an accident? It conveys so much information without saying a single word, but it's the hazy implications and unconfirmable possibilities that have me thinking about it during work today.

I don't want to imply that it's Gilgamesh with item placement, the arrangement IS still the main point, but...there's a life story being told, and it's made me think about the things I've kept (or found, or stolen) throughout my life and what they may say about me.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 11, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
gently caress, now I'm regretting skipping over that in the Humble Choice. Enjoying BPM: Bullets Per Minute quite a bit though, I guess I really do like roguelike shooters and rhythm games.

edit: I'm an idiot, don't think Unpacking was in Humble Choice this month

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've found myself bouncing off Doom Eternal due it being an entirely new evolution from Doom 2016 when I guess all I really wanted was just More Doom 2016. I can appreciate what they want to do with the combat loop and managing tools and resources to keep killing but I just can't figure out if I enjoy it or not. I've made it to the second level and I dunno it just isn't grabbing me the way the first did, even if it is an objectively beautiful game.

Are there any other games in the arcade-style-shooter genre like Doom 2016, the new Wolfensteins or Shadow Warrior 2013? Just really solid arcade FPSes with great level/encounter design and enough plot to be compelling without being bogged down by too much lore or mechanics?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 5, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The good thing is these last few years have been great for retro-themed FPSes that I think fit into a lot of the same categories as Doom. I don't know any that I would compare to Doom 2016 directly but maybe look at something like Dusk or Wrath: Aeon of Ruin?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierson posted:

I've found myself bouncing off Doom Eternal due it being an entirely new evolution from Doom 2016 when I guess all I really wanted was just More Doom 2016. I can appreciate what they want to do with the combat loop and managing tools and resources to keep killing but I just can't figure out if I enjoy it or not. I've made it to the second level and I dunno it just isn't grabbing me the way the first did, even if it is an objectively beautiful game.

Are there any other games in the arcade-style-shooter genre like Doom 2016, the new Wolfensteins or Shadow Warrior 2013? Just really solid arcade FPSes with great level/encounter design and enough plot to be compelling without being bogged down by too much lore or mechanics?

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Overload

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the forgotten city makes my poor pc scream and i can't fathom why. i only have a 980ti but it's a glorified oblivion mod, it shouldn't be pushing the system this hard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

the forgotten city makes my poor pc scream and i can't fathom why. i only have a 980ti but it's a glorified oblivion mod, it shouldn't be pushing the system this hard

It Just Works

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's a UE4 game and I'm guessing it's probably just not well optimized.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It just FEELS like Gamebyro because of the awkwardness of the beginning of talking to people

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Protocol7 posted:

gently caress, now I'm regretting skipping over that in the Humble Choice. Enjoying BPM: Bullets Per Minute quite a bit though, I guess I really do like roguelike shooters and rhythm games.

I think you're thinking of House Flipper, which was in there.

I found BPM to be in the class of roguelikes that's just too difficult for me. After a few hours I could still barely get to the second level, and I'd only unlocked one character who was more difficult than the original, so it didn't feel like enough progress to keep grinding against level 1 anymore.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lakitu7 posted:

I think you're thinking of House Flipper, which was in there.

I found BPM to be in the class of roguelikes that's just too difficult for me. After a few hours I could still barely get to the second level, and I'd only unlocked one character who was more difficult than the original, so it didn't feel like enough progress to keep grinding against level 1 anymore.

I was struggling at the start and I think I really hosed up the audio/video calibration. I recalibrated it again and suddenly things are a lot easier and I almost got to the final floor (granted only on Easy difficulty but still.)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bpm seems fun enough but the art style is insanely grating and i wish i coudl turn it off

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pierson posted:

I enjoyed Necromunda: Hired Gun.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Highly recommended if you haven't played this one. Game is amazing, if short, but so fun I immediately did a second playthrough when i finished because it was just that much fun, and I almost never replay games

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You haven't even unlocked any of the cool poo poo yet.

Once you've got your grapple hook combat super shotgun it gets wild.

Doom forever!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 5, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Protocol7 posted:

gently caress, now I'm regretting skipping over that in the Humble Choice.

Humble is their publisher, so that might be why!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Games like Unpacking and The Forgotten City have made my current month of Game Pass pretty neat so far.

Squiggle posted:

I don't want to imply that it's Gilgamesh with item placement, the arrangement IS still the main point, but...there's a life story being told, and it's made me think about the things I've kept (or found, or stolen) throughout my life and what they may say about me.

This might be a light spoiler if you haven't finished the game yet, but I think there are 3 laptops and 1 desktop PC in the final "level" and it hit way too close to home. Hey, I still might have something in them I might need some day, okay?!

Why can't I stack chopping boards tho? :argh:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

tight aspirations posted:

I enjoyed Necromunda: Hired Gun.

They patched it so you can't just do chain melee kills anymore. Really sad

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pierson posted:

There are many good shooters around now but Prodeus totally plays like a retro take on Doom 2016. Like, it's to the point that in an alternative universe it could have worked as a replacement for Doom 3 as it feels like a missing link between Doom 2 and Doom 2016.

It's early access but already offers a pretty long single player and pretty much an infinite ammount of community-made levels (including remakes other FPSes on Prodeus's engine) and big updates come out regularly.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 5, 2021

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Stux posted:

bpm seems fun enough but the art style is insanely grating and i wish i coudl turn it off

just close your eyes lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oxxidation posted:

Enable vsync or some frame limiter, I guess it's running at like 1000fps

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

prodeus is the best feeling fps ive ever played bar none but PLEASE turn off the helmet ui for the cleaner one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forgotten city spoiler: just realized the significance of the name Karen and went "oh gently caress YOU" at my computer screen

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

They patched it so you can't just do chain melee kills anymore. Really sad

That's actually good, because instead of having to stare at bunch of really janky and lame melee kill animation on infinite repeat, you can now use your Heavy Bolter and explode your enemies with such force that their intestines will hang from the ceiling, as Emperor intended. :colbert:

I give another tentative rec for Necromunda with some caveats. The first six levels are incredible, constantly bombarding you with new wicked weapons, threatening enemies and cool upgrades, but then the game runs out of steam and the next 7 levels basically bring nothing new, except for different (and really impressive!) levels. Still, it will keep inertia from those first levels until the finale and will end barely before overstaying it's welcome. Outside of that, there are a few bugs, a bunch of euro-jank and story that I am still not entirely sure if it was elaborately taking the piss out of numerous action tropes under the veneer of seriousness, or was absolutely sincere, but it's a really interesting fusion between Warhammer 40k and Doom 2016 and IMHO worth playing if you like those two things and can get it cheap.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oxxidation posted:

forgotten city spoiler: just realized the significance of the name Karen and went "oh gently caress YOU" at my computer screen

Yeah

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I had a blast with Necromunda, but it is some definite Streum On jank. Way better than Space Hulk tho.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
ACAB but is Police Stories any good?
Top down shooter with local and online co-op + extra mechanics for taking prisoners, defusing bombs etc sounds fun. And it's on sale.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Hollandia posted:

ACAB but is Police Stories any good?
Top down shooter with local and online co-op + extra mechanics for taking prisoners, defusing bombs etc sounds fun. And it's on sale.

I beat it but by the end I was glad it's over. The level was becoming bigger and bigger while your character is just as fragile so there's little room for mistake for huge level. The writing is just some dumb video game writing. Your AI partner is unreliable at best so you are doing everything yourself. Pretty meh overall for me but with coop it might be better (it did not have coop on release).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks for the suggestions everyone I've made a list.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Azran posted:

Those were added some time ago, I want to say 10 years? or so, when Germany heavily restricted the game's gore so Valve added the CS weapons as compensation. Some time later they got added to the base game for everyone.

Well they also fixed an overdark glitch that made the original levels impossible to play almost. I'm talking almost pitch black even with the flashlights on in a game that was far darker anyway. It was a good fix and I didn't even have to do anything which is good because I'd fiddled with it before and had no luck.

Anyway, it's a great game and I think 2 might be close to perfect as co-op games go

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi de facto pc thread

Is HDR good in games yet? I’ve heard for the longest time that it’s been kinda subpar and looks worse than default at times depending on the game. I’m curious if any of that has changed.

Cheers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Man, I'm really charmed by Empyrion. I'm currently making an assault rifle so I can go between it and my flamethrower when I go to take out this spider tower quest for the local alien settlement. Unfortunately these adorable dinosaurs are hanging on my tent!

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Hi de facto pc thread

Is HDR good in games yet? I’ve heard for the longest time that it’s been kinda subpar and looks worse than default at times depending on the game. I’m curious if any of that has changed.

Cheers

In my experience, it’s generally good on consoles and a massive pain in the rear end to get looking decent on PCs, and also how it works on PC is different from game to game. Some require switching your whole desktop to HDR mode which makes everything else look like poo poo, and some just work automatically.

If I want to play something in HDR, I’ll generally go with a console version, even though I massively prefer PC for almost everything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I bought an ASUS 27" last Christmas and while there were definite annoyances with it automatically switching on and off, I will say that Ori 2 looked really good on it. The little guy goes from a just white critter to almost incandescent, and of course the environments looked stunning.

E: Destiny 2 was, I think, the only other game I had that really had HDR support and it looked good too.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 6, 2021

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

chglcu posted:

In my experience, it’s generally good on consoles and a massive pain in the rear end to get looking decent on PCs, and also how it works on PC is different from game to game. Some require switching your whole desktop to HDR mode which makes everything else look like poo poo, and some just work automatically.

If I want to play something in HDR, I’ll generally go with a console version, even though I massively prefer PC for almost everything else.

Yea, it's super annoying how different HDR support is from game to game and so many of them do it half assed. It's getting better over time but I still mostly agree that in regards to HDR you'll have a better experience on console.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If you have a good HDR TV it looks nice, it you're talking about HDR on a monitor I wouldn't bother.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Hi de facto pc thread

Cheers

As mentioned, Windows 10's support for it is implemented in an annoying way, but really it's going to depend on your display more than anything else. Are you outputting to a TV or using your monitor? If it's the monitor, what kind do you have?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

goferchan posted:

As mentioned, Windows 10's support for it is implemented in an annoying way, but really it's going to depend on your display more than anything else. Are you outputting to a TV or using your monitor? If it's the monitor, what kind do you have?
I currently have a Dell S2716DGR and was thinking of getting something at the same resolution/refresh rate but has HDR and hopefully better colors. I scratched the monitor slightly while moving between houses and was justifying replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I currently have a Dell S2716DGR and was thinking of getting something at the same resolution/refresh rate but has HDR and hopefully better colors. I scratched the monitor slightly while moving between houses and was justifying replacing it.

I bought a ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ when it was on sale, I believe it's considered a good HDR monitor, but I've only ever seen the televisions in stores so I might not be the most knowledgeable. It seemed good to me with those games I mentioned tho.