Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My favorite common is Parish-Blade Trainee because its text is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

evilweasel posted:

sealed is always better than buying packs because you're guaranteed nine packs for the price of six, but because there's no drafting your results are far more dictated by luck of the draw w/r/t your packs having bombs and enough good cards to make a two-color deck (in the colors of your bombs) than anything else

Unless you're consistently going 0 or 1 wins sealed is probably still the better deal over buying packs outright, but the math is a little more complicated than "9 packs for the price of 6" because the sealed packs don't have duplicate protection and they don't give you wildcard progress. Since MTGA only does sealed events for the first couple weeks of set release the latter isn't a huge issue, but if they offered it all the time I'd be really hesitant to play if I already had full playsets of most of my desired rares.

I do like that the preorder bundle comes with a sealed token, though -- even if it's not the best EV event it's a fun excuse to turn your brain off a little and make the best out of the pile you're given, plus it makes me nostalgic for when I was 18 years old and could go to midnight prereleases and play sealed until 2 in the morning.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My favorite common is Parish-Blade Trainee because its text is wrong.

What am I missing? An "another"? A "you may"?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Some interesting commons

That is some great art on Gift of Fangs. Also that's like the 3rd removal with possible upside card in as many sets now, right? Lash of Malice, Immolation, and now this.

The more Blood token generation stuff I see on the cards the more it feels like Blood tokens should've been ""{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life." or something like that.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

I'm generally pro anything that dunks on people spending $1000+ on a deck. I don't care how fun and interesting a format is, there's no way its THAT fun. Might as well milk them for all they can, and use that to fund more commander stuff and interesting standard decks

seems like strange logic here

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I don't entirely understand what you're saying. Modern certainly could exist without supplemental sets, but as much as people grouse about them they sell well and people like to play with the cards that are printed for them, so they keep making them.

If you're saying that they could print an MH set and make it so that only 1 or 2 cards in the set actually sees Modern play, I don't think that's a good idea for a lot of reasons lol.

Other than Standard/Commander I suspect Modern is probably the most popular constructed format, and I think the people that want cool new poo poo to play with in their format every so often probably outnumber the people that want the format to change sparingly. I'm not entirely unsympathetic to people who want a stable format and had their deck become obsolete or changed on them, I just personally don't care and like brewing/playing with new cards more than I like stability. When the Pendulum swings back and nothing changes for a while I'll be the one in here complaining.
What I'm saying is that you can still find new toys to play with that don't just blank everything currently in the format, and that a bi-yesrly rotation dominated by the strongest set since rotation is exactly what happened in standard. Further I'm saying that you can still find new toys to play with in a set without making them mandatory.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BioThermo posted:

the sealed entry fee is 2k gems, and going 0-3 in sealed (getting 200 gems, 3 packs, opening 6 draft packs) means you're trading 6 pack openings (one guaranteed rare/mythic wildcard from the rewards track) for the 6 extra uncommons and 30 extra commons from the draft packs. I'd wager most people would value the wildcard over the gems payout you get for fewer than 3 wins.

I kinda want to see the math on how much a single wildcard is worth, if you set the gem price at $99 for 20,000, which I think is the most value. I think someone worked it out that rares are worth like $8 apiece but I can't look it up right now since I'm at work

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

I'm generally pro anything that dunks on people spending $1000+ on a deck. I don't care how fun and interesting a format is, there's no way its THAT fun. Might as well milk them for all they can, and use that to fund more commander stuff and interesting standard decks

Speak on that.

HootTheOwl posted:

What I'm saying is that you can still find new toys to play with that don't just blank everything currently in the format, and that a bi-yesrly rotation dominated by the strongest set since rotation is exactly what happened in standard. Further I'm saying that you can still find new toys to play with in a set without making them mandatory.

I'm not sure that's the case based on how slowly poo poo was added to Modern pre MH.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 5, 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

goferchan posted:

What am I missing? An "another"? A "you may"?

As with the Ozolith, the ability puts an identical set of counters on the target, using last-known information. By the time the ability triggers, Parish-Blade Trainee has no counters on it as it has changed zones.

The ability works, but it doesn't do what it says.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BioThermo posted:

the sealed entry fee is 2k gems, and going 0-3 in sealed (getting 200 gems, 3 packs, opening 6 draft packs) means you're trading 6 pack openings (one guaranteed rare/mythic wildcard from the rewards track) for the 6 extra uncommons and 30 extra commons from the draft packs. I'd wager most people would value the wildcard over the gems payout you get for fewer than 3 wins.

oh right i forgot, the cost includes all nine packs not only six. that does change the math and makes sealed only mildly better than cracking packs

you're paying 1,800 gems, you get 6 draft packs (as you say: extra uncommons and commons, half a rare wildcard less), and 3 real packs (wash). the key element though is that as sealed is highly luck-based, even assuming you're not a very good player you will tend to go 2-3 (i am not going to bother doing the distribution and just assume every time you get exactly 2 wins before getting 3 losses) which gives you an additional 400 gems (600 total)

so you will tend to be doing better than buying packs (as long as, as goferchan noted, you are doing it early enough you don't need dupe protection). but you might as well do it a few times if you plan to spend gems cracking packs, because you get a bit of a discount and some free limited games out of it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Who do I have to suck off at WOTC to get an MTGA sealed event? :mad:

Why are you holding those lips back to begin with. Why do people have to give you something first?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They reprinted a card from Midnight Hunt already?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They did the same thing in Ixalan block with a few cards, to make drafting more consistent

Also, gonna make mardu Dungeons with Kaya, Extus and Acererak

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They reprinted a card from Midnight Hunt already?

Didn't they do that with Ixalan and it's second set? Reprint some commons from the directly subsequent set because that way it's still in theme and doesn't force-make a similar common just to take it's spot.

I don't know if they've been doing it since Ixalan though.

Edit: Beaten and confirmed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

A Moose posted:

Expand on that

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

DangerDongs posted:

Why are you holding those lips back to begin with. Why do people have to give you something first?

This is SWERFism somehow

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Having a pet deck to play with and master for many years comes with the caveat that it will be a bad deck.

Good decks get metagamed by other decks until they lose, and then you gotta metagame them back and thats how top teir decks have ways worked.

By the time you master a good deck, it'll be a different deck than when you started.

If your deck isn't changing, it won't win. And if you're okay with that, then new powerful cards wont matter unless they could slot into your pet deck, and that's not something to complain about, that's a good feeling.

Now im off to search for new cards to go into my stupid rear end pet deck, and when there arent any from this set, ill watch people draft it instead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

As with the Ozolith, the ability puts an identical set of counters on the target, using last-known information. By the time the ability triggers, Parish-Blade Trainee has no counters on it as it has changed zones.

The ability works, but it doesn't do what it says.

So what should it be, something like "When ~ dies, if it had counters on it, put those counters on target creature you control"?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Thinking about selling a bunch of cards at a modern event this month (assuming I Scrub out of the event)

Which means it might finally be time to sell out of legacy infect (because the deck is just loving stone unplayable, and my tropical islands that I got for $100 CDN each are now like ten times that much lmao)

Maybe I'll try to move stuff on here or some facebook pages first.

Probably the right call seeing as the partner and I are trying to buy a house in the next 6 months

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Thinking about selling a bunch of cards at a modern event this month (assuming I Scrub out of the event)

Which means it might finally be time to sell out of legacy infect (because the deck is just loving stone unplayable, and my tropical islands that I got for $100 CDN each are now like ten times that much lmao)

Maybe I'll try to move stuff on here or some facebook pages first.

Probably the right call seeing as the partner and I are trying to buy a house in the next 6 months

There's a very good MTG buy/sell thread in SA-Mart :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Expand on that

I mean it's pretty self explanatory. I don't play modern or legacy or vintage because it might be fun, but it's nowhere near fun enough to justify the price tag. Standard frequently blows, but at least you can play it with cards you get from drafting. They need to shake up the modern metagame more often, so that people have to replace entire decks every year and the price to get into eternal formats comes down to standard levels. They could make a modern horizons set every year! They could put in cards that specifically poo poo all over the cards they printed last year! They could add another rarity above mythic that is just reserved for Karns or Urzas and also Squire or whatever so that it only LOOKS like they're increasing the supply of in-demand cards and draws more people in!

Or, the prices don't come down, they make billions and can finally hire some game developers for their online poo poo and more designers to actually playtest poo poo.

Or, I could just wait until fakes get more realistic and try it out then. Modern used to be fun when random budget bullshit could occasionally win, like Ad Nauseum combo or Living End. Then it just gradually got more powerful and more expensive. I had a splinter twin deck, but then that got banned and I wasn't able to sell enough of it to get another deck, so I just quit playing. Pioneer looked like it would be fun and cheap, but then they banned EVERYONE's combo decks and EVERYONE quit playing, which was kinda funny to watch.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
living end is still pretty good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MTGGoldfish has Living End just hitting the top 10 modern meta

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-blue-living-end

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jabor posted:

Nothing wrong with some new toys, the problem is an entire set of overpowered shite blowing up the entire format.

The pace at which Modern evolved before Modern Horizons was legitimately great. After MH1 and MH2 it's like, Standard but all the cards come from more expensive packs. What's the loving point?

Jabor posted:

Standard but all the cards come from more expensive packs.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

MTGGoldfish has Living End just hitting the top 10 modern meta

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-blue-living-end

Goldfish is not a good representation of metagames because they use the 5-0/6-0 results WOTC publishes, which are designed to show artificial diversity.

http://mtgtop8.com/index and https://mtgmeta.io/ are better.

That said, in this case Living End is still around #10 in popularity in tournaments

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Cloud elemental is back baby!

Interesting "collect them all" card. Love the flavor text.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
New Lair featuring Brooklyn Art collective MSCHF?

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1456686159904579584

I'm laughing at the Plains.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That plains is hilarious I agree.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Not sure how much detail I'm allowed to give under NDA but I'm participating in a paid MtG survey conducted by WotC soon that honestly sounds pretty cool, and while they already have enough dudes, they told me they're looking for more female or non-binary or otherwise not-male identifying people who play MtG to participate. The application link is here.

If you sign up and get accepted, you can PM me and give me your name and I'll get a few extra bucks for referring you, but if you don't want to do that, that's cool too. There's no referral information hidden in the link itself or anything. If this isn't kosher I will happily delete it though.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Or, hear me out here, instead of antagonizing players who like a more stable format, you can get mad at wizards for not reprinting staple cards, which then causes the deck values to spiral wildly.

A Moose posted:

I mean it's pretty self explanatory. I don't play modern or legacy or vintage because it might be fun, but it's nowhere near fun enough to justify the price tag. Standard frequently blows, but at least you can play it with cards you get from drafting. They need to shake up the modern metagame more often, so that people have to replace entire decks every year and the price to get into eternal formats comes down to standard levels. They could make a modern horizons set every year! They could put in cards that specifically poo poo all over the cards they printed last year! They could add another rarity above mythic that is just reserved for Karns or Urzas and also Squire or whatever so that it only LOOKS like they're increasing the supply of in-demand cards and draws more people in!

Or, the prices don't come down, they make billions and can finally hire some game developers for their online poo poo and more designers to actually playtest poo poo.

Or, I could just wait until fakes get more realistic and try it out then. Modern used to be fun when random budget bullshit could occasionally win, like Ad Nauseum combo or Living End. Then it just gradually got more powerful and more expensive. I had a splinter twin deck, but then that got banned and I wasn't able to sell enough of it to get another deck, so I just quit playing. Pioneer looked like it would be fun and cheap, but then they banned EVERYONE's combo decks and EVERYONE quit playing, which was kinda funny to watch.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

goferchan posted:

Not sure how much detail I'm allowed to give under NDA but I'm participating in a paid MtG survey conducted by WotC soon that honestly sounds pretty cool, and while they already have enough dudes, they told me they're looking for more female or non-binary or otherwise not-male identifying people who play MtG to participate. The application link is here.

If you sign up and get accepted, you can PM me and give me your name and I'll get a few extra bucks for referring you, but if you don't want to do that, that's cool too. There's no referral information hidden in the link itself or anything. If this isn't kosher I will happily delete it though.

Signed up.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

WOTC did a thing with Pioneer where they left the meta dominated by combos for long enough that everyone who wasn't interested in that left, and then banned combos repeatedly so everyone who was interested in that also left. The experiment with letting the format evolve organically but with aggressive bans showed why having a concept of who and what formats are for is valuable.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
"There's a format I don't play, so its players deserve ridicule" is a poo poo take but also a constant one in the thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So what should it be, something like "When ~ dies, if it had counters on it, put those counters on target creature you control"?

You literally can't tell the difference in a practical situation unless Skullbriar is involved, and I think spelling out the technicalities would just be wordier and more confusing, so it's fine.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WOTC did a thing with Pioneer where they left the meta dominated by combos for long enough that everyone who wasn't interested in that left, and then banned combos repeatedly so everyone who was interested in that also left. The experiment with letting the format evolve organically but with aggressive bans showed why having a concept of who and what formats are for is valuable.
Honestly I think their experiment was a success and then they stopped running it and it wasn't until then the format got really awful.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I was one creature with haste and more than 2 power away from losing, so why did this guy quit?

Other than me having a way to wipe them out in two more turns if they didn't get something to kill my land creature thing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Something came up in the real world?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Honestly I think their experiment was a success and then they stopped running it and it wasn't until then the format got really awful.

The format went to poo poo when they paused with the aggressive bans, but they paused with the aggressive bans because they didn't have a concept of audience or purpose for the format.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The format went to poo poo when they paused with the aggressive bans, but they paused with the aggressive bans because they didn't have a concept of audience or purpose for the format.

But then how did they do the first waves of bans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

I couldn't unsee this.

Wow, WotC social media ripped off my rip off!

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1456677346132598788

Does Leonard J. Crabs work on consignment?