Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ante posted:

Sorry, no, it'll make it look amber.

You can pick up blue blocker screens for monitors that you might be able to cut down. This is moving away from topics I'm comfortable with, so I don't know how well it'll work.

I saw a video of someone doing that, though I don't know how they'd stick, especially in a fridge or freezer

hopefully they will just have some alternative LED they can use :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xzzy posted:

Another fun one is moonlight. The color temperature is the same as sunlight (moonlight is reflected sunlight and due to being grey the moon doesn't add much of a cast so no surprise there) but we see moonlit things here on earth with a blue cast because our ability to process color at low light gets really bad.

Also every society throughout history depicts the sun as yellow, but it's white.

Also pink doesn't exist.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're really concerned about color temperature...given that this is the learning electronics thread...I think it's time you got a screwdriver and opened up the panel and showed us what LEDs are inside. Buy some neutral colored replacements and solder them in!

Shame Boy posted:

Also every society throughout history depicts the sun as yellow, but it's white.

tbf it's yellow/orange most of the time that you can actually look at it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

tbf it's yellow/orange most of the time that you can actually look at it

That's one of the theories as to why this is the case, yes :v:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

The other thing I was thinking you could try would be lighting gels, they're used in photography specifically to change color temperature so their colors are a lot more controlled. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Transparent-Correction-Photography-Flashlight/dp/B07V37D4DN/

Note how there's a bunch of different amber ones so you can pick the one that filters the light exactly enough to not look weird. The only problem is they're not sticky, so you'd need to figure out a way to attach them...

I have a box of old gels, they didn't work either for the blue light. I think maybe some old-fashioned diffuser material, possibly multiple layers, is in order. One of you lot pointed me to the diffuser material they use inside flatscreen TVs and monitors, that stuff may be helpful, in addition to maybe a layer of filter? LEDs are difficult to filter because the light is so pure compared to incandescents. So a layer of color filter with a couple layers of diffuser on top of that, the light will be somewhat diminished, diffuse and slightly less blue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

If you're really concerned about color temperature...given that this is the learning electronics thread...I think it's time you got a screwdriver and opened up the panel and showed us what LEDs are inside. Buy some neutral colored replacements and solder them in!

I don't have any knowledge in this area, I just thought it would be the best place to ask my question

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I don't have any knowledge in this area, I just thought it would be the best place to ask my question

Sorry we kinda went off in like 10 different directions, I hope you were able to at least get some kinda useful information or ideas out of all this :v:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
gently caress the electronics, I just loving love colour theory

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

poll plane variant posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: I need some bright overhead lighting for a workbench, I don't want to hack into the ceiling too much because I'm probably moving next year, but my wife says that anything linear (fluorescents, LEDs, anything in a line or strip) looks "too cheap". I was going to do the conventional "LED strip/fluorescent on poles coming off the back of the bench" like everyone does, but that's out now and I didn't know if any of you had seen super bright non-cheap-looking lights

Just buy a new refrigerator and mount that over your workbench. I've heard the lights in those are bright as hell.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
It's all the electromagnetic field anyway. What's one of those green laser pointer fun crystals but a distortion pedal for your IR laser diode?

Also that reminds me. I got this "blue" laser pointer as some sort of promotion with my last glasses order. It's very violet, nearly UV:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

All my experience in this is just trying to make my alarm clock less bright. YMMV. BTW, have you looked at the documentation for your fridge to see if there are any ways of adjusting that?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

petit choux posted:

All my experience in this is just trying to make my alarm clock less bright. YMMV. BTW, have you looked at the documentation for your fridge to see if there are any ways of adjusting that?

I haven't seen anything in the manual

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stack Machine posted:

It's all the electromagnetic field anyway. What's one of those green laser pointer fun crystals but a distortion pedal for your IR laser diode?

Also that reminds me. I got this "blue" laser pointer as some sort of promotion with my last glasses order. It's very violet, nearly UV:

Woooo I didn't know you could do that. Of course, magnets are lots of fun also. You can use them when the monitor is on too.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
A neat trick is using a camera flash to freeze a shadow on a CRT for a few minutes. Seems to only really work well on monochrome screens. Coming full circle, the color filters on color CRTs absorb quite a bit of thr light that would otherwise excite the phosphor.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dunno if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if you can make a dimmer switch for El wire?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stack Machine posted:

Reminds me of another random fun thing: the screens in old oscilloscopes are phosphorescent from visible light, just very faintly. I noticed this when I had a scope in my bedroom and shut off the lights and went to bed, and like half an hour later noticed a faint glow still coming from the screen. It was only bright enough to just see the square outline of the screen, but it continued as long as I was awake. neato

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if you can make a dimmer switch for El wire?

You can dim EL wire, yeah, though it depends on what you mean by dimmer switch (like a knob? or just two settings for "high" and "low"?) and how much you wanna get into modifying the EL wire power supply.

Also note that EL stuff uses high voltages, usually limited to safe currents so you don't accidentally kill yourself if it breaks, but there's not really any guarantee of that especially in cheap power supplies, so be careful if you go taking one apart. Generally there's not any big capacitor in there that'll kill you even when it's off like there are with other things so it's one of the safer things to tinker with, but yeah be careful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ideally it'd be something I could set to have it start out dim and get brighter, then dim and loop and repeat.

Edit - Holy poo poo I did not know autocorrect hosed me that bad on the post. I'm trying to see if there's something out there that I can get that will take an el wire setup, and start a low glow, and then brighten to maximum over a few seconds, and then dim out again. Sorry for the earlier stroke post.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 6, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm so paranoid about this fridge thing. There's no way there's literally only one loving LED that can go in there right? I don't want a loving rave fridge

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I'm so paranoid about this fridge thing. There's no way there's literally only one loving LED that can go in there right? I don't want a loving rave fridge

Sorry can you rephrase the question? Are you asking if it's one type of LED or if it's one physical LED?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry can you rephrase the question? Are you asking if it's one type of LED or if it's one physical LED?

there's a little board in there with five tiny LED diodes. I just can't believe there isn't another board that they could use without the rave lights.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a couple of these, mostly in the bathrooms. They're battery powered motion activated LED things, you can stick them on the wall of your fridge etc

https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Stick-Anywhere-Bedroom-Bathroom-Efficient/dp/B071CFBXXZ/

My father in law has a mini fridge in his room for some medication that needs to be taken regularly + kept refrigerated, I put one in there, it works pretty good. Not great but pretty good

Maybe don't get that exact one, but there's like 900 variations of that device at about the $10 price point, something will probably meet you exacting goony requirements

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

actionjackson posted:

there's a little board in there with five tiny LED diodes. I just can't believe there isn't another board that they could use without the rave lights.

Any board you find in a consumer product is likely custom. The quantity is just too high, and the control over replacement parts is too valuable, to do anything else.

In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath for a substitute existing. If it did, the manufacturers would sell it to you.

Hadlock posted:

I have a couple of these, mostly in the bathrooms. They're battery powered motion activated LED things, you can stick them on the wall of your fridge etc

https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Stick-Anywhere-Bedroom-Bathroom-Efficient/dp/B071CFBXXZ/

This specific product doesn't strike me as something designed for the inside of a fridge. Be advised that there might be some undesirable consequences (low battery life due to voltage depression, e.g.) to that if you end up with this or something similar.

Edit: Apologies, Hadlock. I read "bathrooms" and apparently auto-filled the rest your post to be about a medicine cabinet. If you've already used it in a fridge, then I retract my concern.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Battery life of an LED that gets about 7 minutes of usage a month is measured in years even under the worst environmental conditions

We're at the one year mark for my FIL's fridge lighting solution no issues

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just tape em over already

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

KnifeWrench posted:

Any board you find in a consumer product is likely custom. The quantity is just too high, and the control over replacement parts is too valuable, to do anything else.

He needs to disassemble the module and post extremely close up pics so we can look at the possibilities of a mod or a custom replacement imo, it's 5 LEDs and we're all a buncha nerds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actionjackson posted:

If it were me I'd pull the board out, desolder the LEDs and swap em for better ones.

What you're gonna wanna do is get some of the Nichia ultra-high-CRI (color rendering index) diodes that have the purest white light and the best color rendering, so that your food always looks as appetizing as possible. It'll cost you a couple bucks each instead of 8 cents but why settle for anything but the best, right?

He needs to disassemble the module and post extremely close up pics so we can look at the possibilities of a mod or a custom replacement imo, it's 5 LEDs and we're all a buncha nerds

yep

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

There's an ATMEGA-328pu in there; same chip as arduino. The new sensors aren't drop-in replacements, but it should be between easy and trivial for someone with arduino experience to make the changes. Is there firmware available for this device?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

once again, I have no idea how to do any of that poo poo, I was just asking her because you guys obviously know a lot about electronic stuff

I'll see what the technician says tho

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Okay fine, I tested it with my spectrometer.

Here's a mid-cool spotlight, 4000K:

Filtered through Kapton:

drat, that actually works great for a blue filter.

Amber as all hell though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the vertical band covering 580 white?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

once again, I have no idea how to do any of that poo poo, I was just asking her because you guys obviously know a lot about electronic stuff

I'll see what the technician says tho

Pretty sure that post was a joke, nobody's expecting you to take your fridge apart and redesign its innards when you just want the darn light to not gently caress with you. I mean if you want to we can help, but yeah :v:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No, 580nm is yellow. White would, in theory, be an even horizontal line right across the middle. An equal mix of all wavelengths.

That doesn't exist though. The whole concept of "white" is incredibly complicated.

The first image I posted is white. The LEDs you posted are also white, albeit cooler. Daylight is white, and your old incandescent light bulbs are white.

In short, white is a land of contrasts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Contextually I think he meant 5800K white. I don't know what was meant by "vertical band."

At the bottom of those screenshots I see a Tcp value, which I assume is color temperature. The top one is 4200K (neutral) and the bottom is 2900K (noticeably orange).

The key part of those graphs, actionjackson, is that the kapton tape basically cuts out the entire range of anything we call "blue." It's very difficult to predict what exact color temperature you'll end up with after applying some random kapton to another random white LED. But you can be pretty sure that all of the blue tones will be gone.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 6, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think he was just pointing out how the yellow band looks weird because our monitors can't actually render all the colours in the wavelength. The colours shown in the graph are just "good enough" representations

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh, i meant this, it looks very whitish to me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There's an ATMEGA-328pu in there; same chip as arduino. The new sensors aren't drop-in replacements, but it should be between easy and trivial for someone with arduino experience to make the changes. Is there firmware available for this device?

Well they say there is but I'm not seeing it yet. Yeah, the site says it's open source, I think. I'm snooping around.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That's just yellow. If you took monochromatic light of that wavelength and shined it on a piece of paper, the paper will look yellow. There is no one single wavelength that will make the paper look white, 'white' is a perceptual thing, not a physical thing.

Human eyes have three kinds of cells that have wavelength-dependent responses.

S, M, and L are the different cell types. The curves are showing how much output that cell type will produce when hit by some wavelength. i.e. for 450nm light, the S cells fire a lot and M&L don't.

Your visual cortex compares the output levels from each cell type and you perceive the result as color+intensity.

Anything that makes the same excitation pattern is perceived as the same color, even if the incident light spectrum is completely different.

More pictures stolen from wikipedia:

On the left, the ball is lit up by a monochromatic yellow light. If you multiply that by the cells response curves, you get not much S, and about equal M & L, which your brain interprets as yellow. On the right, the ball is lit up by three different broader spectrum lights. If you multiply by cell response curves, you get the same (S,M,L) tuple, so you perceive it as the same color.

This is how the LCD monitor you're using to read this is working. Each pixel has three subpixel parts that light up at 549nm, 612nm, and 464nm [ish, different designs will be different but close to those reference ones]. All it ever does is vary the amounts of those three wavelengths, no other wavelength is ever generated. No 580nm photons are being emitted for the 'yellow' part of those pictures. To make 'yellow', it's emitting a mixture of 464/549/612 that is designed to excite your S, M, and L cells in the same ratio that 580nm light would and your brain can't tell the difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actionjackson posted:

oh, i meant this, it looks very whitish to me

Are you color blind?

Not being facetious. That section of the spectrum is clearly yellow-green to me and there's no way I would confuse it for white. If you have some form of color blindness, that could change all of of this calculus dramatically.

Foxfire_ posted:

:words:
Human eyes have three kinds of cells that have wavelength-dependent responses.

My favorite part of this whole phenomenon is that pink and purple light don't exist.

Look at the spectrum; there is no place where it blends from red to blue. There is no single wavelength that corresponds to what we call pink, purple, fuchsia, magenta, or anything in that range. All those colors are perceptual phenomena that happen when the blue and red receptors are responding at the same time.

:allears:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

Are you color blind?

Not being facetious. That section of the spectrum is clearly yellow-green to me and there's no way I would confuse it for white. If you have some form of color blindness, that could change all of of this calculus dramatically.

Wow