Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Stickman posted:

Yeah, that makes zero sense. "The Delta Variant" isn't a singular entity - if someone's Delta mutates to be less able to reproduce that doesn't magically make anyone else's Delta less able to reproduce, it just means that particular variation is going to be outcompeted by OG Delta. If it was the only form of Delta in a population then it's slower spread might be noticable, but only until some OG Delta came along and took off. Emergence of a non-competitive variant alongside a competitive variant isn't going to affect the epidemic curve because it's a non-competitive variant.

Yeah, what we want[1] is a variant that reproduces more than Delta so it outcompetes Delta, but which causes less damage to the body. Unfortunately I don't even think this is possible because the damage, as far as I know, is purely a factor of the reproduction. It's not like the 1918 pandemic flu where (at least some of) the deaths are caused by the body's (over)reaction to the infection, covid kills you because it's ripping apart your respiratory system for parts to make more copies of itself. Any variant that can outcompete Delta is going to kill more people.

[1] Well "want" is a bit strong, but the best case scenario of a new variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I am now posting with my 10g wireless connection. The powers of moderna and pfizer course through my veins.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A’Aron, no!

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1456680185286234118?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, what we want[1] is a variant that reproduces more than Delta so it outcompetes Delta, but which causes less damage to the body. Unfortunately I don't even think this is possible because the damage, as far as I know, is purely a factor of the reproduction. It's not like the 1918 pandemic flu where (at least some of) the deaths are caused by the body's (over)reaction to the infection, covid kills you because it's ripping apart your respiratory system for parts to make more copies of itself. Any variant that can outcompete Delta is going to kill more people.

It could be more transmissible, and yet less aggressively replicative within the body, that's totally possible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't see this posted in the thread but

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/health/pfizer-covid-pill.html

Pretty cool new drug from pfizer that will hopefully lead to less deaths.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Was it this thread where someone was posting some things from anti-vaxxers on facebook trying to exactly this with like needle practice arms or whatever?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes and no, competition here is a lot more than just making copies the fastest. Delta managed to out compete og covid by being twice as transmissable, but it isn't twice as deadly. It's more efficient at binding to host cells and evading immune response, so exposure is more likely to lead to infection, but it's not necessarily much better at producing copies of itself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just got my Pfizer booster; Walgreens was great and didn't give me any poo poo, even though it's technically 5 months and 3 weeks since my last covid shot. They could have broken my balls if they wanted to and they didn't.

The only thing was I didn't have my vaccine proof card; I am pretty sure I threw it out like a moron once I got my state's vaccine pass app. The lady who gave me the shot agreed with me that I'm a moron because she said she went to Europe this past summer and everywhere she went she had to show her card, and she doubted that a bistro in Italy is going to accept my state's covid app as proof.

Is there any way to get a "new" card? Seems really stupid I have to do this but I don't wanna get hosed if I decided to go somewhere this summer.

Also how do I add that I got a booster to the app? The Walgreens lady had no clue.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hollismason posted:

I didn't see this posted in the thread but

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/health/pfizer-covid-pill.html

Pretty cool new drug from pfizer that will hopefully lead to less deaths.

Will chuds take this or will they be sticking with ivermectin?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I just got my Pfizer booster; Walgreens was great and didn't give me any poo poo, even though it's technically 5 months and 3 weeks since my last covid shot. They could have broken my balls if they wanted to and they didn't.

The only thing was I didn't have my vaccine proof card; I am pretty sure I threw it out like a moron once I got my state's vaccine pass app. The lady who gave me the shot agreed with me that I'm a moron because she said she went to Europe this past summer and everywhere she went she had to show her card, and she doubted that a bistro in Italy is going to accept my state's covid app as proof.

Is there any way to get a "new" card? Seems really stupid I have to do this but I don't wanna get hosed if I decided to go somewhere this summer.

Also how do I add that I got a booster to the app? The Walgreens lady had no clue.

My local grocery store just filled out a new card for me, with the booster as a third entry. They used my info from the picture I had saved on my phone. Maybe you could ask them if they can fill out a new one for you?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Yossarian posted:

My local grocery store just filled out a new card for me, with the booster as a third entry. They used my info from the picture I had saved on my phone. Maybe you could ask them if they can fill out a new one for you?

Thanks, unfortunately I already left and they're like twenty miles from me. She gave me some sort of receipt though? I didn't know if I was supposed to somehow use that to get it added to my file or something.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Got my triple Modena today. Been a few hours and my arm is a little sore but if it's anything like the second dose, tomorrow will be the killer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I saw a tweet somewhere recently where they shared a story of a woman who turned up to a vaxx clinic but refused to roll up her sleeve, when they insisted they found that she had a raw chicken thigh taped to her arm. :v:

Almost definitely stdh but then again anti-vaxxers have been doing some super stupid stuff so :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I saw a tweet somewhere recently where they shared a story of a woman who turned up to a vaxx clinic but refused to roll up her sleeve, when they insisted they found that she had a raw chicken thigh taped to her arm. :v:

Somewhere there's the big chart tracking all known side effects associated with the vaccine, and someone has had to add a column for "salmonella infection".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is strange to see some acquaintance post a photo on fb and realize that since getting vaccinated back in June they’ve basically been living their life as if covid was over. I guess to a lot of people that was the off ramp. No longer pay attention to the news, no longer bother with a mask, etc.

The deaths have still been 2k per day but now they can say “well that’s just the unvaccinated” and so whatever

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Almost definitely stdh but then again anti-vaxxers have been doing some super stupid stuff so :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Nobody working at a bistro in Italy is going to know how the card for a random US state is supposed to look so you could print off a copy of a blank card and fill it in yourself.

Just remember to doublecheck your spelling; https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/24-year-old-tourist-with-fake-maderna-covid-19-vaccine-card-arrested-in-hawaii-court-docs/

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

A quick google shows this retails for $700.

Who the gently caress is going to pay $700 to get a fake vaccine? I hate that I'm even asking this question. I'm so tired of the ARE LIBERTIES poo poo and people doing everything they can to roleplay as a child who's afraid of their shots because they're that opposed to common human decency for their fellow man. :cripes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well if you're on a budget there's a few cheaper options available, I'm sure we can find something within your price range :getin:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Do people really think that an actual nurse or pharmacy tech is going to be fooled by this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gynovore posted:

Do people really think that an actual nurse or pharmacy tech is going to be fooled by this?

Yeah everyone knows that the big-league criminals get surgery in the arm to hide the subterfuge.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Well if you're on a budget there's a few cheaper options available, I'm sure we can find something within your price range :getin:

Oh no I think they just vaccinated me in the dick

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
$700 for a fake arm?

The anti-vaccine market is rich for the plundering.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just go to the nearest grocery store, get a nylon stocking and as much nearly expired meat as you can carry lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The ducks at the park are free.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Worn under a winter jacket to disguise your good arm. :raise: So you ask the nurse to use an extra long needle and shoot right through your sleeve so you don't have to take off your jacket?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Worn under a winter jacket to disguise your good arm. :raise: So you ask the nurse to use an extra long needle and shoot right through your sleeve so you don't have to take off your jacket?

I believe the idea is that their flesh and blood arm hangs at their side, under the main part of the jacket, while the fake goes through the sleeve.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

I believe the idea is that their flesh and blood arm hangs at their side, under the main part of the jacket, while the fake goes through the sleeve.

Right. But when I got jabbed they wanted to see bare skin to put the needle in. I've never had a winter jacket where I could roll the sleeve up all the way to the shoulder. And if you're wrestling with the sleeve to get it up there, there's a pretty good chance the arm will just fall out because it's not attached to anything.

Maybe one of those puffy vests would work. No sleeves, no problems. Except you're still trying to convince a medical professional that your floppy dead arm is fine and good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right. But when I got jabbed they wanted to see bare skin to put the needle in. I've never had a winter jacket where I could roll the sleeve up all the way to the shoulder. And if you're wrestling with the sleeve to get it up there, there's a pretty good chance the arm will just fall out because it's not attached to anything.

Maybe one of those puffy vests would work. No sleeves, no problems. Except you're still trying to convince a medical professional that your floppy dead arm is fine and good.

Also cold, perfectly smooth with no hair or blemishes, and probably a different skin tone to the rest of your body.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

One of the vaccinators I worked with once told me about a woman who absolutely refused to remove her (presumably expensive) Chanel jacket to get injected and wanted them to just stick the needle through it. She eventually relented and there was no fake arm (or cartoonish "just the front of a blouse") under it, though.

This was at the Science Museum site which is in South Kensington, a *very* rich area of London, and the site that had by far the highest proportion of extremely strange events of any of the sites I pointed people at chairs at. In particular like 1 in a hundred opted to have the jab in their leg or bum, an option I only ever saw taken up once at any of the other sites (by a guy with one arm who didn't want to risk side effects).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Doctors in Greece reportedly accepted bribes of four hundred Euros to inject selfish idiots with saline but administered real vaccine anyway.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/10/10/greece-fake-vaccinations-water-real-vaccine/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Doctors in Greece reportedly accepted bribes of four hundred Euros to inject selfish idiots with saline but administered real vaccine anyway.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/10/10/greece-fake-vaccinations-water-real-vaccine/

Hero

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also cold, perfectly smooth with no hair or blemishes, and probably a different skin tone to the rest of your body.

And handled by someone who has been touching real arms all day.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Would this actually work? Like how much vaccine would actually get sucked out by that thing? Or would they leave feeling smug about extracting the "poison" but be fully vaccinated anyway?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Been vaxxed and boosted, masked, gloved, social distancing as best I can and all that.

And I find it so frustrating and exhausting that it never feels like its enough. I was so hopeful we'd get a vaccine to knock it out like we did for Polio or Smallpox. I mean yes, I understand the vaccine greatly prevents people from outright dying. But the fact that they can still get infected and spread it around regardless is frustrating. Its hard enough to persuade people to be sensible about all of this, and I feel like the limitations of the vaccine just seem to give anti vaxxers ammo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tagra posted:

Would this actually work? Like how much vaccine would actually get sucked out by that thing? Or would they leave feeling smug about extracting the "poison" but be fully vaccinated anyway?

I can hardly read the references they cite, but here’s a paper that seems to have decent methodology.

They injected volunteers with a radioactive tracer, using a way larger needle than intramuscular vaccines use, waited three minutes, and successfully extracted…

…point zero four percent of the injected fluid.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's the latter. The needle hole is too small for a snake venom extractor to do anything. And "sucking out the venom" is pretty much entirely bullshit for snake bites anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
in that case, we should tell them it works really well for removing the vaccine