Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Caconym posted:

Does anyone know how LTN handles different provider stations providing the same item?
Does it form an array of the possible providers in some sort of order, so it'll always try to use the same provider as long as it's threshold is met, or does it rotate them or is it random or is it based on path distance from provider to requestor or what?
I've started a new AngelBob run and it would be nice to know if there's a point to setting up providers for byproducts at smaller stations, or if I should just trash them if I don't expect to need every single one and have one huge master provider for each item when possible.

You could mess with the priorities to use your byproducs first. No idea what it does if everything is the same priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Caconym posted:

Does anyone know how LTN handles different provider stations providing the same item?
Does it form an array of the possible providers in some sort of order, so it'll always try to use the same provider as long as it's threshold is met, or does it rotate them or is it random or is it based on path distance from provider to requestor or what?
I've started a new AngelBob run and it would be nice to know if there's a point to setting up providers for byproducts at smaller stations, or if I should just trash them if I don't expect to need every single one and have one huge master provider for each item when possible.

In my experience, it pulled from one supplier until that supplier was no longer at the threshold. Which one it chooses from may have to do with distance, but I have memories of one supply depot being full and the other constantly running dry...

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Tamba posted:

You could mess with the priorities to use your byproducs first. No idea what it does if everything is the same priority

Ooh, thanks, I forgot priorities were a thing.
But then I also spent way too long making a rather simple AND-latch to stop flaring any excess gases if all storage tanks are above 80% full. Turns out a single arithmetic combinator feeding into single decider was all I needed (combined with overflow valves). It's obviously been way too long since my formal logic classes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Also another thing that I notice a lot of people miss, you can have one provider station provide both an item and a liquid, and you can request as many things as you have room for at a requester station.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Caconym posted:

Ooh, thanks, I forgot priorities were a thing.
But then I also spent way too long making a rather simple AND-latch to stop flaring any excess gases if all storage tanks are above 80% full. Turns out a single arithmetic combinator feeding into single decider was all I needed (combined with overflow valves). It's obviously been way too long since my formal logic classes.

I think I was a bit tired yesterday...
All I needed was of course the single decider, input everything, greater than 280k (80% of the 350k Jax tanks) output 1, and then set the (invisible here) pumps on the flare stacks to only work if output != 1.
So they'll flare if the pipe system has more than 80% of their specific product (through the blue overflow valves) AND at least one of the three tanks have less than 280k of their product.
So in essence "keep refining gas by flaring off excess until all three tanks are at 80% then stop flaring".

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Close, but for two things.
1. You have overflow valves already in place on each of the three pipelines, which only open if there is more than 80% fluid in the adjacent pipe segment. Compounded with..
2. Pumps act as one-way valves.

So your pumps at the flare stacks will turn on when your tanks are >80% capacity, but they will not receive any fluid until the tanks are at capacity and the pipes leading to them start filling up.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Close, but for two things.
1. You have overflow valves already in place on each of the three pipelines, which only open if there is more than 80% fluid in the adjacent pipe segment. Compounded with..
2. Pumps act as one-way valves.

So your pumps at the flare stacks will turn on when your tanks are >80% capacity, but they will not receive any fluid until the tanks are at capacity and the pipes leading to them start filling up.

Yes, but not quite, the pumps turn on when at least one tank is at _less_ than 80%, but will still only flare those products that get through the valves, that is, the products that would otherwise back up and stop the system.
So this means I burn off excess only from the full tanks, and only until all three products are at 80%, but then flaring will stop and the upstream refineries will back up and stop until a tank falls below 80% again.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

it is pretty amazing just how annoying blue science gets in krastorio/space exploration just with the minor change of sulfur>sulfuric acid in terms of making stuff compact. Couldn't find a way to fit 4 lanes in the tier 1 factorissimo building while still having room for beacons.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Caconym posted:

Yes, but not quite, the pumps turn on when at least one tank is at _less_ than 80%, but will still only flare those products that get through the valves, that is, the products that would otherwise back up and stop the system.
So this means I burn off excess only from the full tanks, and only until all three products are at 80%, but then flaring will stop and the upstream refineries will back up and stop until a tank falls below 80% again.

Neat and well-thought out; my apologies for misunderstanding then. The pumps and valves things were something that felt like a "gotcha" while I stumbled through Bob's and wanted to raise awareness.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Am I missing something obvious in regards to radiation damage in krastorio? it has a personal reactor that uses nuclear fuel, but carrying nuclear fuel will absolutely kill you.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Am I missing something obvious in regards to radiation damage in krastorio? it has a personal reactor that uses nuclear fuel, but carrying nuclear fuel will absolutely kill you.

The better armors and/or shields protect you from radiation

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
And once the fuel is in the reactor it doesn’t damage you.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Ugh why do I have this urge to start over my SE game with K2 24 hours in.

edit: doin it

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 3, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nalesh posted:

There’s supposed to be an option which turns off rad damage, not sure if it’s in the game or you have to edit a text file for it.

Even going near a green ore patch can kill you dead in seconds, before you get decent armor, it’s pretty silly, so I encourage turning it off.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

There’s supposed to be an option which turns off rad damage, not sure if it’s in the game or you have to edit a text file for it.

Even going near a green ore patch can kill you dead in seconds, before you get decent armor, it’s pretty silly, so I encourage turning it off.

The option to disable is a map option for the mod, can’t be changed on an existing map as far as I know.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

/kr-disable-radioactivity

This will disable achievements, but it will also disable radioactivity.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

what's ya'lls fuel of choice for stuff btw, just found out supersonic trains can't use the aai fuel things for some reason.

Also speaking of supersonic trains, anyone know of a mod that gives it a vehicle grid that works with krastorio?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 3, 2021

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nalesh posted:

what's ya'lls fuel of choice for stuff btw, just found out supersonic trains can't use the aai fuel things for some reason.
Vanilla, but I use the best fuel available because +5/10/15% top speed is real nice, until they get stuck in congested intersections because my rail grid is trash.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Start with coal, switch to solid fuel when I can. Then slowly switch over to using electric furnaces.

For trains, I stop at solid fuel, unless my oil or nuclear industry get big enough to support rocket/nuclear fuel.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Solumin posted:

Start with coal, switch to solid fuel when I can. Then slowly switch over to using electric furnaces.

For trains, I stop at solid fuel, unless my oil or nuclear industry get big enough to support rocket/nuclear fuel.

Does coal liquidation effectively increase the energy per unit of coal when cracking surplus heavy to light and light to solid fuel?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Interesting question! No idea. I usually end up needing to feed all my coal into industrial applications (plastic, grenades, etc.) so switching to solid fuel is a solution to a resource problem, not an energy production one.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Breetai posted:

Does coal liquidation effectively increase the energy per unit of coal when cracking surplus heavy to light and light to solid fuel?

The wiki says yes - it produces 8.7 MJ of solid fuel per unit of coal, so it slightly more than doubles the energy per unit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have regrets.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Really wish there was stock small tanks that held like 5000 units of fluid so you could use pumps as overflow and one way valves without needing to wait for 15k of fluid to build up in a 25k tank.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Really wish there was stock small tanks that held like 5000 units of fluid so you could use pumps as overflow and one way valves without needing to wait for 15k of fluid to build up in a 25k tank.

You unlock circuits at pretty much the same time as oil so just connect a wire from the tank to the pump?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Drone_Fragger posted:

A tank outputs its contents to the circuit network, so you can wire a pump to a tank directly and the pump turn on when "Oil < 5000".

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Still trying to remember how to do signals properly, and been having quite the trouble with this specific T intersection getting deadlocked, hopefully fixed it now but if anyone got any suggestions on how to make it simpler, do say so.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Still trying to remember how to do signals properly, and been having quite the trouble with this specific T intersection getting deadlocked, hopefully fixed it now but if anyone got any suggestions on how to make it simpler, do say so.

Why are you only using regular signals? Use chain signals at the entrances and regular signals at the exits (but only if a full train can fit between the regular signal and the next signal.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Nalesh posted:

Put the regular signals at the exits, and chain signals at the entrances.

You can open up the signal tutorial by clicking Tips and Tricks (Graduation cap) at the top right, then scroll down to Trains, and then watch and play Train Signals Basic and Train Signals Advanced.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 5, 2021

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

A tank outputs its contents to the circuit network, so you can wire a pump to a tank directly and the pump turn on when "Oil < 5000".

Tanks try to follow the same %full rules as the rest of the pipe network they’re connected to, it’s easier to pump overflows and under flows using circuit network on smaller tanks because you don’t have to fill a tank with say, 20k heavy oil before it overflows to your lubricant factory. Smaller tanks make those more responsive since they only need to contain 4000 fluid rather than 20k

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

ok I admit I've been sleeping on chain signals, holy poo poo they make things easier.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Drone_Fragger posted:

Tanks try to follow the same %full rules as the rest of the pipe network they’re connected to, it’s easier to pump overflows and under flows using circuit network on smaller tanks because you don’t have to fill a tank with say, 20k heavy oil before it overflows to your lubricant factory. Smaller tanks make those more responsive since they only need to contain 4000 fluid rather than 20k

Hmmm, I guess I'm wondering how a setup like this wouldn't work. The consumer pipe would always be almost full, while the tank would be at most 5000 fluid.,

code:
[Producer]> =====  [PUMP wired to tank (LIQUID < 5k)]> ====== [TANK outputting value to pump] ======[PUMP always on]>==================================> [Consumer]

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Charles 1998 posted:

Hmmm, I guess I'm wondering how a setup like this wouldn't work. The consumer pipe would always be almost full, while the tank would be at most 5000 fluid.,

code:
[Producer]> =====  [PUMP wired to tank (LIQUID < 5k)]> ====== [TANK outputting value to pump] ======[PUMP always on]>==================================> [Consumer]

Yeah I do this all the time and it works great.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Pipes are nearest-first (mostly). So if you have heavy oil flowing to both a buffer tank for lube, and a light oil producer, the one that comes first will fill up first. So put your buffer tank after your light oil production, then on the output of that tank put a pump to your lube production. Set the overflow value to anything at all, even as low as 1k, and its activation will never deprive your light oil production of inputs.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nalesh posted:

When placing a signal, always ask yourself: "Would it be alright, if a train went past this signal and stopped at the next signal, possibly for a long time?"
if the answer is "sure, no problem", you place a regular signal. If the answer is "hell no, that would break everything", then you place a chain signal.

That's all you need to know to design a working rail system.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Also anyone know of a mod that adds higher tier train fuels/trains a la supersonic trains, but without having to use those really ugly repainted trains? Doesn't have to be stupid fast like those, but some improvement would be nice.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 5, 2021

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Thunk so I have no loving clue how modding works in this game nor how the train mechanics work in terms of code and how they dictate being on a track.

BUT, how much work would creating tunnels do you nerds think? I am also envisioning underground tunnels. Might be too janky to be worth the effort though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeesis posted:

Thunk so I have no loving clue how modding works in this game nor how the train mechanics work in terms of code and how they dictate being on a track.

BUT, how much work would creating tunnels do you nerds think? I am also envisioning underground tunnels. Might be too janky to be worth the effort though.

Why would you want tunnels when this exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAahBoEqgHQ

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After MUCH struggling and debugging, I think I've finally worked the kinks out.

This is a cargo-agnostic train system with one kind of train and two kinds of station (named station and depot). All trains alternate between station and depot, and the circuit system handles all dispatching to make sure that empty trains always go to the right inputs and full trains always go to the right outputs. Trains won't go to an input unless there is a different station requesting that material as an output. Outputs keep track of materials incoming (including those not arrived yet) and outgoing, and only request when below a threshold set by a constant combinator. All stations can have material types, min / max material amounts and max train counts set via constant combinator, with no hard-coded logic for specific materials. Any item in the game can be used, included modded items (no lookup tables). It's not shown, but I support both solid and fluid trains with the same stations by changing one combinator output from green to blue. Depots can handle either. And of course the most important part - it's all 100% vanilla compatible.

Still needs some more testing in something bigger than a toy setup. I'll post a more detailed walkthrough when I'm sure it works without issues in my real game.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poo poo, if there are two stations both requesting the same train, the one that doesn't get picked will erroneously add that train's cargo to its expected total. I need a memory cell to hold the amount of cargo from the last train and the difference in train count between request and the next tick so I can subtract it again if it doesn't get picked. :suicide:

I also needed to rename the fluid stations something different because while the train can tell if its a fluid train or a solid train, the depo cannot and can't broadcast that when offering the train up so if both a solid and fluid station reply requesting the train, the train can choose the wrong one. That was an easy fix though and I don't plan on having mixed solid and fluid stations because that would be a nightmare anyways. The only option I can think of to have fluid stations be named the same as solid stations is to have the depo pump in a single unit of fluid and then take it back out but that would be insanely complicated for basically no benefit. The bigger issue with fluid trains is you can't measure flow rate to deduct a memory cell so I had to fall back to just measuring the contents of tanks at the station, meaning a fluid station can request additional trains even if it would otherwise be full if a train is already on its way. I don't think I can fix this.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 6, 2021