Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Now do it with Antiquity cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's pretty much the reverse of the dice tower component drop.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They should have left one token conspicuously left behind & ignored on the table, and ultimately packed the game up without it.

(I thought the little piece on the right was that, but it's hard to tell)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

SettingSun posted:

I can't lie, I find it zen to organize a mess like that so giving me that box would be like giving a child an iPad and I would instantly be occupied.

You're not alone, I know a lot of people who almost insist on throwing a game back in a box so they can get all zen repacking it.

Conversely, any time anyone on BGG asserts that [complicated game] can be set up in minutes, I always think that they've just shifted the setup time to the end of the previous game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nonathlon posted:

it.

Conversely, any time anyone on BGG asserts that [complicated game] can be set up in minutes, I always think that they've just shifted the setup time to the end of the previous game.

Cole designed a whole game around that concept :v:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
He should have dumped it all in the lid, then “realized” after and just wiggled the bottom on and flipped it, for extra psychic damage

E: I do think over-organizing pieces is silly for some games, dumping out a bag of stuff and telling the other players to sort it gives me 3 min to review the rules. If you need everything out to play, just dump it in the same bag

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkxtbkT_pk

For real I'll also throw it all back in the box, it's too stressful after I'm mentally exhausted from playing something. I also like organizing. The zen-like card sorting after I've finished an Arkham Horror campaign and organize all the cards I've gathered is relaxing.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 4, 2021

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Furnace reboxing mentioned in the tweet (and on bgg front page) is a sight to behold too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU__BXSHt5Q

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I really need to do this with Airships.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

LifeLynx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkxtbkT_pk

For real I'll also throw it all back in the box, it's too stressful after I'm mentally exhausted from playing something. I also like organizing. The zen-like card sorting after I've finished an Arkham Horror campaign and organize all the cards I've gathered is relaxing.

I don't believe it's even possible to just dump Arkham in the box and still be able to close it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

I don't believe it's even possible to just dump Arkham in the box and still be able to close it.

Oh it's in a card box, usually in one of those long white cardboard boxes, but it's an unorganized mess. Core set encounter cards mixed in to the campaign's cards, my investigator decks that I need to take apart, some of which contain encounter cards, etc.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm an insane man when it comes to organizing and storing both Arkham and Marvel. For Arkham, I have two investigators built per class at a time, each with an "upgrade pool" of cards that they could build into over the course of a campaign. When we get done with a campaign, I tear down the old deck and build a new one with a modified upgrade pool. Each pair of decks are then put into a nice deck box colored by class along with a bunch of fancy tokens from Team Covenant and Etsy, a token bowl, and a 3d printed and painted mini-card stand.

It takes multiple evenings to reset everything after a campaign, but I'll do it with a cup of tea and relaxing music. It helps wind down before bed.

Marvel Champions is a similar ordeal where I have every hero and most villains built at any given time. So I need to maintain my pool of decks every time a new pack gets released or I want to switch things up. Just changing one deck usually requires pulling cards from multiple other decks, which in turn need to be fixed to be made 'whole' again. It's nutty but I have a good time with it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LifeLynx posted:

Oh it's in a card box, usually in one of those long white cardboard boxes, but it's an unorganized mess. Core set encounter cards mixed in to the campaign's cards, my investigator decks that I need to take apart, some of which contain encounter cards, etc.

:getout:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm an insane man when it comes to organizing and storing both Arkham and Marvel. For Arkham, I have two investigators built per class at a time, each with an "upgrade pool" of cards that they could build into over the course of a campaign. When we get done with a campaign, I tear down the old deck and build a new one with a modified upgrade pool. Each pair of decks are then put into a nice deck box colored by class along with a bunch of fancy tokens from Team Covenant and Etsy, a token bowl, and a 3d printed and painted mini-card stand.

It takes multiple evenings to reset everything after a campaign, but I'll do it with a cup of tea and relaxing music. It helps wind down before bed.

Marvel Champions is a similar ordeal where I have every hero and most villains built at any given time. So I need to maintain my pool of decks every time a new pack gets released or I want to switch things up. Just changing one deck usually requires pulling cards from multiple other decks, which in turn need to be fixed to be made 'whole' again. It's nutty but I have a good time with it.

I don't go quite so heavy, but I appreciate that: at any given time I have the next scenario and its cards in a deck box ready to go, sleeved, and two investigators and their decks in another deckbox that me and my gf are currently playing, also sleeved in their respective collrs. No pool of available upgrades ready, that gets done before each session, but that's not a bad idea. After each session I unsleeve the current scenario cards, sleeve the next ones, put those away.

Also I've printed and laminated dividers for ewch of the scenario and card sets, makes searching for them so much easier.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Got my Cartographers Heroes Edition box in the mail yesterday! Also got Hunger, the new Richard Garfield vampirey deck builder. I'm hoping I can get these played next weekend so I can report back on Hunger. Cartographers I'm sure will be great, it's just more Cartographers after all!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Eyes Have It posted:

I played a lot of Death Valley this weekend. Like all button shy games, it packs a lot into fewer than twenty cards.

One thing that stood out was that it is probably the only game I can recall that explicitly used card-counting as a mechanism. By that I mean, if you DON'T count cards, you're pretty much guaranteed to crash and burn.

There are four "suits" and a specific number of each (six heat, five terrains, four water, and three animals) and each card prominently displays both the suit as well as the total number of cards in that suit.

The reason this all matters is this: if at any point you have three of a single suit at the end of your turn, you bust (which is bad). Therefore, how many of what you have showing + how many of what are left in the deck becomes an important part of deciding what to do in mid- to late-game. Seeing two waters on your side and one on your opponent's (3 out, 1 left in the deck) is critical information. And the game makes it easy to see and read.

The basic concept is typical for push your luck elements, but I can't really think of any other card game that so explicitly makes card counting a critical mechanic in the same way. Just goes to show -- like most of their games do -- that just plain old playing cards can be used in a wide variety of ways.

I wanted to thank you for mentioning this game. My wife and I recently visited Death Valley, so I decided to get a copy. It's a cute little quick filler game. Maybe not super deep, but there's a little work you have to do remembering what gets hidden in each player's scrapbook (if anything does). The only problem (and maybe it's not a real problem; just seems like it after a few plays) is that one of the cards is a little OP; it allows you to look at the top card of the deck and give it to either player, which is a great way to cause the other player to bust, requiring conservative play once your opponent gets this card. Oh well, it's still fun.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Admiralty Flag posted:

one of the cards is a little OP; it allows you to look at the top card of the deck and give it to either player, which is a great way to cause the other player to bust, requiring conservative play once your opponent gets this card. Oh well, it's still fun.

Funny you should mention this. We played this wrong at first, but the answer lies in the order of phases in a turn.

Checking for bust is explicitly the last thing done in a player's turn, which means that if on YOUR turn you use that effect to give ME a 3rd Water card (for example) I don't bust until the END of MY turn.

Which means I start my turn as usual: choosing whether to add a card to my Journey, or Rest (and move a card + optionally hide others) in my Scrapbook.

So on my turn I could let the bust happen, use a card effect to change something, or (more likely) do a rest action to move a card to my scrapbook + choose to hide the offending water card under it so I no longer have three waters. In other words, by the end of my turn, I no longer meet the bust conditions.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Eyes Have It posted:

Funny you should mention this. We played this wrong at first, but the answer lies in the order of phases in a turn.

Checking for bust is explicitly the last thing done in a player's turn, which means that if on YOUR turn you use that effect to give ME a 3rd Water card (for example) I don't bust until the END of MY turn.

Which means I start my turn as usual: choosing whether to add a card to my Journey, or Rest (and move a card + optionally hide others) in my Scrapbook.

So on my turn I could let the bust happen, use a card effect to change something, or (more likely) do a rest action to move a card to my scrapbook + choose to hide the offending water card under it so I no longer have three waters. In other words, by the end of my turn, I no longer meet the bust conditions.

Ahh, I should have caught that. Makes it a lot less deadly. Thanks

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hey I just saw that kemet is being republished with another expansion. Has anyone tried it out? I missed out on buying the original one and I want to see if the new edition is worth getting.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
If you want a good game and don't care about errata or newest edition, the old version is fine. The new version streamlines a few things, adds a few minor things, and is annoyingly large. The new expansion feels like it would be incompatible, but I don't think you are missing anything big.

Get the new version if everything else is equal, old version if you find it at a steep discount

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

nordichammer posted:

If you want a good game and don't care about errata or newest edition, the old version is fine. The new version streamlines a few things, adds a few minor things, and is annoyingly large. The new expansion feels like it would be incompatible, but I don't think you are missing anything big.

Get the new version if everything else is equal, old version if you find it at a steep discount

Thank you so much! Yeah I noticed the box seemed larger in the photos, but I wasn't sure. Seems like I will go with the new edition then.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Finally got Eclipse Second Dawn to the table. I originally got it just before the 'rona, and was looking forward to it. But... I kinda hated it?

My layer 1 sector draw had ancients, and before I could draw my layer 2, the player next to me (who went before me) drew it and it also had ancients. My 3s all were mediocre compared to the other options (and I had to throw away another ancient guarded sector in there, wasting more time), and the one Discovery Tile I drew was... A warp portal. So everyone else had extra resources, income, and more from their sectors and tiles and I was stuck with only starting income for three rounds. And when I finally scraped up enough to fight the ancients and break out, the player next to me moved in too, and beat me due to a very good set of rolls on his end. I spent the next two hours passing after 1 action, waiting for everyone else to play. I eventually got four ships in the last round to do some amount of combat.

The worst part is my score was decent, but I didn't have *fun*. I didn't get to customize ships or do any counterplay or all the fun interactions I saw around the rest of table because the way my section of the map played out. And that sucked. The final combat came down to a 50/50 roll of who would win the game, which felt weirdly gross. In TI4 I'd be excited during that combat, but here it felt... Wrong and arbitrary.

Overall it felt like a game with worse RNG than TI4, not like the Euro version of a 4x I hear everyone raving about.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Anyone got their copy of Hero Quest?

Pre-ordered in Australia, reckon I'll be waiting a while for it to ship over here.

Lots of pics getting me all jealous on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AvalonHill/status/1456359875961839619

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How did you order Haslabs via Australia?

Me and a mate want to order the Proton Pack for Christmas.
https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostbusters-plasma-series-spengler-s-proton-pack

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ElZilcho posted:

Anyone got their copy of Hero Quest?

Pre-ordered in Australia, reckon I'll be waiting a while for it to ship over here.

Lots of pics getting me all jealous on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AvalonHill/status/1456359875961839619
Did it turn out to be a direct reprint or was there an attempt to modernise it?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Codeacious posted:

Finally got Eclipse Second Dawn to the table. I originally got it just before the 'rona, and was looking forward to it. But... I kinda hated it?

My layer 1 sector draw had ancients, and before I could draw my layer 2, the player next to me (who went before me) drew it and it also had ancients. My 3s all were mediocre compared to the other options (and I had to throw away another ancient guarded sector in there, wasting more time), and the one Discovery Tile I drew was... A warp portal. So everyone else had extra resources, income, and more from their sectors and tiles and I was stuck with only starting income for three rounds. And when I finally scraped up enough to fight the ancients and break out, the player next to me moved in too, and beat me due to a very good set of rolls on his end. I spent the next two hours passing after 1 action, waiting for everyone else to play. I eventually got four ships in the last round to do some amount of combat.

The worst part is my score was decent, but I didn't have *fun*. I didn't get to customize ships or do any counterplay or all the fun interactions I saw around the rest of table because the way my section of the map played out. And that sucked. The final combat came down to a 50/50 roll of who would win the game, which felt weirdly gross. In TI4 I'd be excited during that combat, but here it felt... Wrong and arbitrary.

Overall it felt like a game with worse RNG than TI4, not like the Euro version of a 4x I hear everyone raving about.

You ran into what is probably the the biggest problem with Eclipse. To make it have that exploratory feel, it basically needs to have randomness in sector distribution, but that can be incredibly unfair. This is slightly lessened if you play smaller games with 4 or less players because each player can expand in their own way and not get pinched in by an opponent as much, but it makes the game slightly less interactive. Beyond that, yeah, sometimes you just get hosed. Once playing 1st ed, I got blockaded from the center on turn 2 or 3 by the ship-building race as the tech-researching race before I got a decent science planet. I was stuck for like 4 turns before I could get out, and it was late enough that there were no more III tiles to expand outwards. So I could do very little during those few hours.

I still love Eclipse to bits, but it can be unfair. Despite it's reputation, it is not a pure euro where you measure your strategic might. It is a bit more of a "make hay while the sun shines" "repeated accretion of value" "opportunism" kind of game.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Codeacious posted:

Finally got Eclipse Second Dawn to the table.

We’ve played Eclipse several times, and the total early game lockout you describe has happened to a player once I think. Usually what happens is one player gets an early mover advantage due to lucky tile draws. Then everybody moans about RNG but then they proceed to tailor their ship loadouts to counter the leader and wreck them. This results in a lot of strategic play and cool shipbuilding.

All the people I play Eclipse with agree that the early game RNG is a weakness of the game. I also feel the combat RNG is a little bit too swingy. In our games people typically danced around each other until a big battle, so it does mean that single dice rolls have a big impact on the game. This tends to only happen where the ships are a fairly even match though - a more expensive army or one upgraded well to counter the opponent generally wins decisively, so it’s not like all the economic preparation doesn’t matter once the dice start rolling. With combat you can also account for the RNG in your army composition (glass cannons are fun but it’s your own drat fault when you get wiped out) and it becomes a part of the strategy. The frustrating thing with early tile draws is it seems like there is nothing to be done if you draw a bunch of duds.

Having said all this, I can’t think of a dudes-on-a-map game I would rather play since it generally delivers on the “Euro-4X” promise. I think you had an unlucky game and should try again!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also note that lack of access to good real estate due to a bad layout does kinda such, but moist factions can deal with early ancients and reap the rewards. Hexes with ancients on them are better

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Probably Eclipse's greatest strength IMO is the way the economy and resources work, and how everything from cubes to control discs/actions are pulling double duty to make that part as simple and effective as possible. Action discs are territory markers which are also the non-linear empire upkeep costs, cubes are population which are also the non-linear income curve, and so on. It's an excellent platform for the rest of the game (whose parts aren't everyone's cup of tea, admittedly.)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Probably had my best board gaming experience with Oath this weekend even though we were drunk and played slowly

The people calling it a narrative generator were right

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Had a 2p games day with my brother

We played 7 wonders duel twice (always good and quick)

Baseball highlights 2041 (first time, and it was really fun! Simpler than I expected.)

And then for the main course we played Colonial Twilight. (Difficult as you'd expect from the first play of a COIN game, but good and we want to play again)

Colonial twilight's playbook has a couple of issues we found. In the guided example, it uses 9 Algerian police cubes, when you should only have 7. And then in our opinion it left the government in a much better spot than the FLN - I won as France and it felt a bit unfair. So we're eager to play again from scratch without the guided play start.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How is Ankh: Gods of Egypt?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How is Ankh: Gods of Egypt?

The number of mainly sealed all-in pledges I see for sale on the UK Facebook groups answered that question for me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

please knock Mom! posted:

Probably had my best board gaming experience with Oath this weekend even though we were drunk and played slowly

The people calling it a narrative generator were right

You can’t just leave it at that!! What happened?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

You ran into what is probably the the biggest problem with Eclipse.

I thought 2nd Ed fixed lame tiles? My solution was to do a draw two pick one when exploring outer ring because of duds. If you race to center there are certainly less poo poo tile draws.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Triskelli posted:

You can’t just leave it at that!! What happened?

My people were forever-prohibited from ever obtaining citizenry, but I found napalm (if you win, kill all enemy forces instead of half) and a witch's cauldron (killed enemy forces turn into warbands for you), so I went on a rampage burning everything down while the other Exile captured places all around the map. I think at least 4 temporary alliances were made before I took my revenge by stabbing the Emperor in the back and stealing his scepter, which I immediately used to make myself a citizen in order to win through Succession.

Great game, impossible to play unless you've got 2 or more other people who are really into board games. This is not a game for normal people.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I thought 2nd Ed fixed lame tiles? My solution was to do a draw two pick one when exploring outer ring because of duds. If you race to center there are certainly less poo poo tile draws.

It’s pretty well-balanced normally with tiles containing enemies having better rewards etc, but there is definitely a bit of a spectrum. With, say, 5 players around the table it is fairly likely that somebody will get dealt the ideal on-ramp start with a couple of free pips of economy and a useful ancient technology, and then be ready to hoover up any nearby ancients vs. somebody else who only draws enemy-occupied tiles and has to sit on their hands for a couple of turns.

Agreed with The Eyes Have It that the design of the economy is fantastic - the way the upkeep costs work and how they connect with the action economy is just great. I also think the game length is really well-tuned to give enough of that engine-builder zero-to-hero feel but never give you breathing room to just sit back and turtle in the endgame.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Magnetic North posted:

I still love Eclipse to bits, but it can be unfair. Despite it's reputation, it is not a pure euro where you measure your strategic might. It is a bit more of a "make hay while the sun shines" "repeated accretion of value" "opportunism" kind of game.

I just don't think I can keep it if lockouts are a thing. For a game I have to plan weeks in advance, clean my house, pre plan lunch, etc, I don't want any player sitting and doing nothing for hours on end. At least in TI4 there's a phase where players can influence the overall game if they're in a bad spot by voting and convincing others to vote.

Even worse, I realized last night that the correct move for the player next to me was to come in and blow up my home sector with Neutron Bombs, which would have nearly eliminated me from the game (I had one other sector with one population due to the poor explore draws). He didn't because he saw how crappy of a time I was having and played nice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you ever play Neom?

It's a tile drafting city building game. I was wondering if anyone here had any hands-on experience with the game and what their thoughts were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok I've been out of touch with board games and board gaming for like over 6-7 years now and my wife keeps asking me for Xmas ideas so I walked to the local game store and I have no idea wtf I'm even looking at anymore. Can anybody give me a few recommendations that aren't like $200 limited edition kickstarter games or whatever?

Some games I've liked:
Dungeon Lords (Vlaada games in general I tend to really like)
Codenames
Pandemic
Flashpoint (i like coop games in general usually)
Battlestar Galactica
Chaos in the Old World
Dominion (wife loves it)
Love Letter

Games I liked in theory but hardly ever played even back then due to length and complexity. Also I have two kids now so lol at ever playing a full game of TI ever again.
Twilight Imperium (3rd edition I belive)
War of the Ring (1st)
Mage Knight
Archipelago (loved the idea and flow... hated the terrible and incomplete instructions)

Popular games at the time I hated:
Caverna
Arkham Horror
Puerto Rico