Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mordiceius posted:

I know that reading a Wikipedia plot synopsis can have this kind of effect but goddamn does Eternals sound like a series of plot points with no actual story.

I don’t know how they fit all that into the runtime. I bet nothing feels like it has room to breathe.

IMO it works better in the execution than how it sounds on paper, but not that much better. still should have been a Disney+ series instead if the budget had allowed for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Simulation883 posted:

I was hoping they could start to try and work with the Deviants considering. Upon further consideration it would have been cool if they could combine their powers and achieve the Unimind through the sentient Deviant as he already absorbed two of them. Just have him figure out a way to use his whips to channel them all without killing them.

yeah this would have been good. but nope Disney/MCU requires absolutely Bad Guys who it's okay to exterminate like bugs
e: I wonder if this recurring theme is driven by Disney or Favreau or what

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 5, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It happens across the genre, so it's not just a Marvel thing. Stormtroopers, Parademons, Chitauri - they all fill the Faceless Mook role that allows the Superheroes to have cool fights without worrying too much about the morality of the violence they're dishing out.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah there's a reason basically every MCU movie, including all of the headliner Avengers ones, ends with the goodies running at a wall of cgi not-orcs going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Robot Style posted:

It happens across the genre, so it's not just a Marvel thing. Stormtroopers, Parademons, Chitauri - they all fill the Faceless Mook role that allows the Superheroes to have cool fights without worrying too much about the morality of the violence they're dishing out.

this is true but given what the actual primary conflict of Eternals turns out to be, it's particularly strange and thematically confused that the takeaway ends up being "yeah, the Celestials want to commit planetary genocide and lied to us about everything, but they were still right about about the Deviants being evil and we still need to kill them anyway"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
According to imdb,Andy serkis (director of the newest Venom movie) wanted to call it Venom: love will tear us apart which would have been a god tier title.

If the next movie does use Toxin they should definitely go with Venom: i’m addicted to you

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Barry Convex posted:

this is true but given what the actual primary conflict of Eternals turns out to be, it's particularly strange and thematically confused that the takeaway ends up being "yeah, the Celestials want to commit planetary genocide and lied to us about everything, but they were still right about about the Deviants being evil and we still need to kill them anyway"

I don't see anything wrong with it. In the end, the Celestials still lied about the Deviants. They're out-of-control predators, but they're not random pieces of evil that fell from the stars. They're a failed experiment that needs to be swept under the rug and by fudging the story, the Celestials make themselves look infallible to the Eternals. And in the end, the Eternals are also failed experiments, but in the opposite way.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Movie bad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah there's a reason basically every MCU movie, including all of the headliner Avengers ones, ends with the goodies running at a wall of cgi not-orcs going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

I don't mean this, I mean the thing where the story goes out of its way to show the bad guy races as very sympathetic in a lot of ways (Killmonger, the Flag Smashers, and now these guys) are specifically NOT the brainless not-orcs screaming AAAAAAAAAAAA, they're morally equivalent to the supposed heroes, who just exterminate them anyway.

Gavok posted:

I don't see anything wrong with it. In the end, the Celestials still lied about the Deviants. They're out-of-control predators, but they're not random pieces of evil that fell from the stars. They're a failed experiment that needs to be swept under the rug and by fudging the story, the Celestials make themselves look infallible to the Eternals. And in the end, the Eternals are also failed experiments, but in the opposite way.

Okay but Ajak is in on it and always has been, she's a willing participant.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 5, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gavok posted:

if that was meant to be the takeaway, they should have just stuck with the Deviants as mindless CG monsters and not made a plot point of one of them becoming sapient and getting a voice and personality. as is, Kro just complicates the plot a bit without meaningfully informing the primary conflict and themes of the third act

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't mean this, I mean the thing where the story goes out of its way to show the bad guy races as very sympathetic in a lot of ways (Killmonger, the Flag Smashers, and now these guys) are specifically NOT the brainless not-orcs screaming AAAAAAAAAAAA, they're morally equivalent to the supposed heroes, who just exterminate them anyway.

I do think maybe they were trying to go for the Killmonger-esque "has a legitimate grievance but his methods are bad" type of villain with Kro, which is a problematic trope but would still be an improvement in this case, but as is, he's too underdeveloped to work even on that level.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 5, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Honestly I saw the mention of stormtroopers/faceless mooks and went the wrong direction, mb

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Barry Convex posted:

if that was meant to be the takeaway, they should have just stuck with the Deviants as mindless CG monsters and not made a plot point of one of them becoming sapient and getting a voice and personality. as is, Kro just complicates the plot a bit without meaningfully informing the primary conflict and themes of the third act

I agree with this. Honestly, by the third act when everyone's fighting Ikaris and Kro shows up, it felt like that baby sheep gag from the Simpsons. Nobody cares about Kro anymore other than giving Thena some closure and trying to up the stakes compared to how throwaway the other Deviant enemies come off.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Robot Style posted:

Barry Convex posted:

I still haven't seen the movie, and don't care about MCU spoilers anymore because they're not going to surprise me, but given that "Deviant" is already a loaded term I was assuming they're not actually "the bad guys." Characterizing deviance as inherently evil feels super far-right regardless of the context. But I guess the movie doesn't even commit to that, which is even lamer than I was guessing. What is a punchman without another man to punch? Robb Stark gotta punch something.

Say what you will about Captain Marvel, but at least it commits to the "skrulls are Space Jews" thing, lets the Kree be the Space Fascists we always assumed they were.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
https://twitter.com/EsPyramid/status/1456728606110015495?t=jbKDKx-D4mOMl3OKGbBlfw&s=19

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

setting aside spoiler discussion, does anyone remember those tweets from supposed Marvel Studios insiders earlier this year that went something like "Zhao has knocked it out of the park, everyone is in awe of what she produced, Marvel Studios has another Best Picture nominee on its hands?"

obviously, that didn't end up being the critical consensus, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if that were what Feige et al. believed and were saying internally about the dailies and rough cuts

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Convex posted:

setting aside spoiler discussion, does anyone remember those tweets from supposed Marvel Studios insiders earlier this year that went something like "Zhao has knocked it out of the park, everyone is in awe of what she produced, Marvel Studios has another Best Picture nominee on its hands?"

obviously, that didn't end up being the critical consensus, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if that were what Feige et al. believed and were saying internally about the dailies and rough cuts

I mean when all you make is MCU fodder, that's the basis on which you judge everything

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Barry Convex posted:

I'm sure they were very impressed by the on location shooting and natural lighting cuz they are used to seeing actors in mokap\on wires Infront of a green screen which you have no idea if that's actually gonna look good

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Is moebius guaranteed MCU? I really don’t care for Jared Leto

Maybe if there's a Silver Surfer movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Savage.

josh04 posted:

Hm, wonder if there's a good experience to be had watching them in that sequence.

When you put it like that, they kind of set up things nicely for a movie, inter-quel or whatever, about the fall of the Kree empire. We know how the Kree tick after Captain Marvel, and we know that Ronan is an extremist the Kree don't care to take responsibility for by the first Guardians movie, possibly because they lost a war but are happy one of theirs keeps fighting while giving them plausible deniability. And between those two movies, Djimon Hounsou's character goes from Space Navy Seal to Space Fundamentalist Army and that's definitely interesting.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

not good enough for a full five though lol

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Barry Convex posted:

IMO it works better in the execution than how it sounds on paper, but not that much better. still should have been a Disney+ series instead if the budget had allowed for it

Maybe? But I think we’d then be hearing complaints that it was too thin a story stretched over a season of episodes.

I enjoyed the movie over all. Didn’t see the two heel turns coming but they made sense. I kind of wish it was even more weird? Maybe there was just not enough Kirby crackle. I thought Gemma Chan did a good job as Sersi, she really had to carry most of the movie.

Dane wasn’t given much to do which led to a hilarious outburst from a guy in my audience after the last post credits scene finished. “What the hell!? The tee this up through the whole movie and don’t pay it off!” Which I could take to mean he had no idea about Black Knight, or the exact opposite, that he was a huge Black Knight fan who was leaving disappointed. :lol:

Had no idea who that voice was at the end, had to read that it was Blade after coming home.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Saw the movie tonight, I thought it was ok. And I'm bigger on the MCU than most goons so that's probably not a great sign. There was a lot of stuff I liked about it but most of the stuff I liked came with just as big reservations. I don't think it's the worst MCU movie but I do think it's the worst MCU intro for a new set of characters. Only a couple of them are going to leave people coming away with a strong impression.

- What I was most hype for after the trailer was the visuals and there's a bunch of shots that are very pretty but there's also a bunch of sequences that are weirdly dark like someone's turned the contrast too far down. This is primarily during two major fight scenes so they end up falling flat
- I didn't see Ikaris being the real villain coming at all cause he's the main guy in the comics so that was a cool twist but Richard Madden is loving awful. He's like a robot for most of the movie. He comes to life a bit after the reveal so that might have been intended but yeesh
- Kro trying to fight the good guys at the end of the movie makes zero loving sense when they both want to prevent the Emergence. Like what the gently caress are you doing, dude?
- Kingo is cool but then he just nopes out of the climax of the film
- Druig/Makkari/Phaistos all felt underserved, especially in how Druig's whole 'strip humans of free will for centuries' deal
- Harry Styles as Starfox is A+ casting but he shoulda just been in the whole movie
- Salma Hayek dying so early was super weird. It made a bit more sense after the twist reveal but I still felt like she was wasted
- Thena was the best part of the movie, she kicked rear end
- Sprite's whole deal was done well but then Sersi just forgived the whole being stabbed thing at the end
- Gemma Chan was fine I guess?
- The closing sequel hook was super clunky
- I just looked it up and apparently that's Blade at the end with Dane Whitman. Er, what the gently caress? This isn't really a criticism, I just have no idea where these phase 4 links are going and I'm not sure Marvel does either

Rarity fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 6, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tankbuster posted:

it was such a bad movie that no one remembered and Mr Momoa never suffered for it. Especially when contrasted with early GOT which took over the internet.

I remember seeing it and thinking that Momoa's Conan was almost the only decent/interesting aspect of the movie.

Aside from the "Young Conan" beginning. I recall liking that sequence quite a bit.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Momoa only gets cast for being tall and having PED muscles, so it's no surprise his career was a bit dry before GOT/Snyder

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Teek posted:

Maybe? But I think we’d then be hearing complaints that it was too thin a story stretched over a season of episodes.

I enjoyed the movie over all. Didn’t see the two heel turns coming but they made sense. I kind of wish it was even more weird? Maybe there was just not enough Kirby crackle. I thought Gemma Chan did a good job as Sersi, she really had to carry most of the movie.

Dane wasn’t given much to do which led to a hilarious outburst from a guy in my audience after the last post credits scene finished. “What the hell!? The tee this up through the whole movie and don’t pay it off!” Which I could take to mean he had no idea about Black Knight, or the exact opposite, that he was a huge Black Knight fan who was leaving disappointed. :lol:

Had no idea who that voice was at the end, had to read that it was Blade after coming home.

not showing blade was kinda weak. Marvel couldnt afford to shoot with him for a hot second?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Conan was released around the same time as GoT. He wasn't good in it, the movie was even worse, and it bombed terribly. That might have had something to do with it too.

He's actually excellent as Conan. It is a fairly uneven movie, but not all that bad considering the genre. The lack of money would definitely matter to a studio exec, you're right about that part.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

He's actually excellent as Conan. It is a fairly uneven movie, but not all that bad considering the genre. The lack of money would definitely matter to a studio exec, you're right about that part.

Yeah, that movie has some real shortcomings but Momoa isn't one of them. It's a movie that's so much better on paper than it ends up being. It's also a great example of how some people in Hollywood just fail upwards. The director, a guy called Marcus Nispel, had made Pathfinder a couple of years before, which was a dogshit movie adapted from (apparently) quite good source material. They saw him gently caress up a Conan-esque story and decided to give him Conan.

It more or less killed his career though, which is nice. It's also kind of a shame since he did the Friday the 13th reboot in 2009 which was quite good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Momoa was pretty much the perfect choice for Conan the same way The Rock is for Doc Savage. I wouldn't fault him for the movie loving up.

Also another case where it makes sense about everyone who's worked with Snyder seems to say they'd take a bullet for the guy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So does kingo actually die

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, that movie has some real shortcomings but Momoa isn't one of them. It's a movie that's so much better on paper than it ends up being. It's also a great example of how some people in Hollywood just fail upwards. The director, a guy called Marcus Nispel, had made Pathfinder a couple of years before, which was a dogshit movie adapted from (apparently) quite good source material. They saw him gently caress up a Conan-esque story and decided to give him Conan.

It more or less killed his career though, which is nice. It's also kind of a shame since he did the Friday the 13th reboot in 2009 which was quite good.

I always forget that Nispel did those three movies and it always hits me how much sense it makes because all three movies show potential but gently caress it up one way or another. I would rank Conan as the worst of the three for being borderline incoherent at times and just really dull overall, and Friday as the best for having the most magnificent douchebag of the whole Friday the 13th franchise.

Pathfinder is just sort of there, but it has the best scene of all three, the charge of the Native American warriors straight into their own spike pit trap.

Now I kinda wish Nispel made more movies, he is like the Anderson guy who makes Resident Evil movies.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The real Kingo were the friends we made along the way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Eternals might not be attracting so much mockery if the whole concept wasn't going all 'And these are the REAL super powerful important guys who've been waiting in the background the whole time'. People can get into Ant-man because it's a fun silly concept on the periphery of the 'main' Marvel stuff, much like Guardians was, and there's a charm to that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/MoreFilms04/status/1456381127409614861?t=wRynRxu6qMR85mcQz0Ufjg&s=19

https://twitter.com/cambregabriel19/status/1456715771686567939?t=4b1obI3-_HO08Akbgu_JDQ&s=19

This is basically laying bare a lot of the double standards of "entertainment media " when they trip over themselves to justify the bad score for an MCU film.

For years RT was hailed as an unassailable metric of the quality of a film and now that MCU film for the first time got a bad score, it suddenly doesn't mean a film is bad, it just means it's interesting!

McCloud fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 6, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

not sure that particular hot take really represents the whole industry
e: I mean, not like there weren't plenty of people that utterly rejected any criticism of the Zack Snyder DC movies

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sycophantic fans are always going to do their thing,

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It certainly represents a significant chunk of it. Not too long ago people were trying to paint the negative reviews as being based on racism and sexism

Also I think that's a bit unfair comparison because a lot of criticism against Zacks DC movies is utterly stupid poo poo like "it should have more color", or were mad that the film they got wasn't the film they expected/wanted (Superman is too sad, Batman shouldn't kill), or even made up things that didn't happen in the actual films (Superman killed thousands! His father told him to drown a bus full of kids!")

It's easy to reject that sort of criticism because it has nothing to do with the actual film itself, or what it's trying to do

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is a godawful take cause the action is the worst part of the movie

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Eternals got a B audience grade from CinemaScore, which is actually quite bad for a superhero movie, especially from Marvel Studios (previous Bs include Green Lantern and BvS). Oh dear.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rarity posted:

And heck, at this point do we even know the extent to which Chloe Zhao was even involved with the action scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

I actually liked parts of the opening and the climax. The Amazon sequence was just dull underlit boilerplate MCU CG poo poo, though.