Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Hellblazer187 posted:

"I bet OP opposes teaching CRT" is a helllllll of a leap from "we were discussing student loans."

The woman in the story could have just heard the word "student" or "school" and butted in with a blistering take. Have you never had a busybody jump in on a conversation they know nothing about?

Apparently the one ranting is that busybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you'd think when you're aiming at the market of people spending hundreds of dollars for a haunted mansion toy you could stand to charge a couple bucks more and make it out of something other than the shittiest looking plastic possible

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Reminds me of the one where a guy got a once in a lifetime cash windfall and spent the whole thing on a secret passage, completely alienating his wife/fiance.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lot 49 posted:

I know a guy irl who is sort of the opposite of Mike the Chess prodigy from a few pages ago.

He was a very talented chess player as a kid and his parents were supportive and encouraging. With their help he became a grand master but he just wasn't quite good enough to be one of the top players who win the big tournaments etc. Now he is middle aged dude with zero skills apart from chess and he is barely scraping by on the money he gets for coaching kids. He resents his parents for letting him go all in on this game and he doesn't even like chess anymore lol.

Sounds like a personal problem of "building a personality around one single aspect of your life". Not saying his parents aren't partly at fault but resenting them for him putting 100% focus into chess & nothing else is pretty dumb.

Hughlander posted:

Two-Years before the post:
My [46M] daughter's [23F] fiancé left her for a girl she used to bully

Kinda-sorta found it I'm at work & it's blocked...if anyone wants to try to removeddit/ceddit/rareddit this bad boy here's the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4y3z6v/my_46m_daughters_23f_fianc%C3%A9_left_her_for_a_girl/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Sounds like a personal problem of "building a personality around one single aspect of your life". Not saying his parents aren't partly at fault but resenting them for him putting 100% focus into chess & nothing else is pretty dumb.

Kinda-sorta found it I'm at work & it's blocked...if anyone wants to try to removeddit/ceddit/rareddit this bad boy here's the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4y3z6v/my_46m_daughters_23f_fianc%C3%A9_left_her_for_a_girl/

Yah it’s fully gone. I read all the comments for quotes from it and put some in what I originally posted.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Have you never had a busybody jump in on a conversation they know nothing about?

ive been on the internet, yes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Reminds me of the one where a guy got a once in a lifetime cash windfall and spent the whole thing on a secret passage, completely alienating his wife/fiance.

this is why you only marry cool people

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bug Squash posted:

The Nazis didn't have the technology to build a big fire???

I couldn't stop laughing at that part. Humanity has dealt with a large amount of corpses sometimes for our entire existence but somehow the Nazis forgot build a big fire, dig a big hole, or like the Assyrians just make a big gently caress off pile?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Please tell me someone has this one.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

spouse posted:

Me 42M my son 17M caught my wife (his mom) 40F cheating on me with a friend of mine also 42M
"And my son has this weird growth down the middle of his back, like there's a bone in there. Does anyone know what this is?"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My [21F] Boyfriend [20] of 6 months said that he doesn't believe the 'official story' of the holocaust
OP and her nazi bf deserve each other. Imagine hearing the person you're dating is a holocaust denier after only six months and choosing not to immediately :sever: Those countries where holocaust denial is a criminal offense have got the right idea, it would mean we'd have to deal with these guys a lot less often.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

seems like it would be better to revert to gender neutral language and jaime should just be they/parent. i have a friend who is a nonbinary parent and its fine, but switching around terms and expecting a 6yo to keep track/punishing them for it is going to be a problem. 6yo kids can barely remember what day it is and expecting them to keep track of whether to call a person mommy or daddy on variable days may be setting the bar too high, especially giving the kid time out for misgendering

OP is worse for insisting jaime needs to be a he/father though. language like birth parent or non-birth parent is all you need to describe the relationship between a parent and their child. OP claiming to be tolerant but referring to jaime as he, yikes

Being genderfluid is not the same as being nonbinary. Queer people do not choose pronouns based on what is most convenient for their chud in-laws. This story is pretty obvious bait to make queer people look bad for trying to cancel their child. This is textbook "political correctness gone mad" chain emails from your racist grandma.

Content:
AITA my daughter and I are planning a party but might cancel food service because….

quote:

My daughter got her firstborn and wants to plan a party because she didn’t get too because of last year and you know what (beer virus). It’s kinda a baby shower/ adult party. We found this catering service and came to meet them. We ask for samples and the food was really good ( bbq ). We agreed and want their services at our party BUT we notice on the bill, they charged us for the samples. You might be thinking it was probably like a dollar or two but it was $25. I forgot how they word it but it was like called a sample fee or something similar. It was a tiny piece of meat and cornbread etc. if they gonna charge us that amount, they should allow me to take the rest of the rib. We changed our mind and cancel their services and found another place. Are we in the right or wrong ? I didn’t mind paying the fee if they allow me to take home the rest of the ribs.

MagusofStars posted:

Please tell me someone has this one.

Got you covered:

AITA for taking my bonus and creating a "secret" room in my house (complete with a bookshelf door)?

quote:

Hello AITA. Thank you for taking the time to weigh in on what was supposed to be a fun project but has turned into a major issue between my fiancé and I. I am a moderator on several other subs so I am using a throwaway so as to not cross the streams so to speak.

Last year, after several years of being out of steady work, I was able to land a really good job. My new company had an unreasonably good year and in late February I got a five figure bonus. I have always wanted a "secret" room in my house, I honestly don't know why but it's just always seemed so cool to have a room where I pull a lever, a bookcase opens to my private space. I figured with the bonus the time was right so I hired a good contractor, they tore down some walls and started digging up the foundation to our spare bedroom since the secret room will have a circular staircase to a new basement. The house was my grandma's and was given to me paid off when she died so I own the house outright and have full legal authority to do this.

Fiance is so furious at me she's thinking about calling off the wedding. She says that taking my bonus was wildly irresponsible and that we could have used the money to pay off debt, pay for some of the wedding to take pressure of her parents or even save. I counter with this bonus was essentially "found" money that may never happen again so we might as well have fun with it while we have it. She says that we are getting married, this has to be a discussion and me digging up the foundation and tearing out several walls in the house has made it impossible for her to live in the house. I counter again that its my house. The argument has gotten so intense that she has moved in with her sister and we may be looking at the end of our 2 year relationship.

Am I the rear end in a top hat in this situation?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 5, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Cd8iOsspQ

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at that part. Humanity has dealt with a large amount of corpses sometimes for our entire existence but somehow the Nazis forgot build a big fire, dig a big hole, or like the Assyrians just make a big gently caress off pile?

yeah but the aliens helped all those guys do it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

Got you covered:

AITA for taking my bonus and creating a "secret" room in my house (complete with a bookshelf door)?

quote:

we could have used the money to pay off debt

And just like that we've found the rear end in a top hat in the situation. If the family was doing fine there's an argument for spending $10-99k on some dumb poo poo (though not without discussing it with your intended life partner), but that should be enough for the OP's fiance to get out asap before he burns their retirement on a restaurant where dogs in heelies perform magic tricks.

limp_cheese posted:

There's an interesting bit of human psychology around the holocaust, individual Nazis being told to kill Jews or other undesirables often couldn't handle it. For whatever reason a pre-modern Assyrian, Roman, Mongol, or whatever soldier could be told they had to kill captive civilians or soldiers and they did it with swords or blunt objects without much historical record of issues around that. But 20th century Nazis often displayed serious PTSD symptoms when asked to do the same, even with guns, to the point where new less personal methods of killing people had to be developed.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 5, 2021

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

No no, the restaurant is for magicians

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

wonder how much extra she had to pay the wedding planner to pull that poo poo for her

My [21F] Boyfriend [20] of 6 months said that he doesn't believe the 'official story' of the holocaust

hrmmmmm

I'd love to see this shithead explain the Einsatzgruppen period of policy that preceded heavy use of the camps.

"They were just herding them into the woods from the nearby village at gunpoint, to uh, uh, huddle there until the end of the war?? But they kept getting attacked by bears and having other unfortunate mishaps one gets into out in the woods, so the Nazis had to bury them together when this happened. With gunshot wounds, from the bears and stuff."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, "you don't get a say because it's my money" is bad enough, but it feels weird to emphasize that when "you're just gonna have to deal with the construction workers tearing down the walls and foundation of the house you live in; you don't get a say because it's my house" is right next to it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for refusing to go to my Brothers wedding if my Girlfriend cannot come?

quote:

I (31F) have a girlfriend of 3 years, (32F), we don't yet live together but have begun to look for a place to get together as both our flats are too small to have two people so things are very serious.

My brother (34M) is planning his wedding to his Fiance (29F), I of course assumed my Girlfriend would be welcome to come as my plus one after all she's basically one of the family now and we will be living together soon but no, my Brother told me that he doesn't think it's a good idea for her to come as the wedding will be in a church and that his Fiance's family are "traditional".

He tried to tell me that she could come to the reception etc but he'd rather she just wasn't at the ceremony. My Girlfriend is willing to accept this but I feel as though my brother is being unfair considering our younger sisters boyfriend of six months is invited, it's clear this is just because I am dating a woman, so I told my brother if my girlfriend wasn't welcome at the ceremony I wouldn't come either and i'd just go to the reception after too, this caused a lot of drama from my family and my parents and siblings are all insisting i'm "Overreacting" and how it's "Not personal" and that as it's not my day I should just accept this, honestly at this point I want to just skip the reception too...so..aita?

But I brought you here for the edit:

quote:

Edit: A little update as i'm just off the phone with brothers Fiancee, she had no idea about any of this and was horrified and told me no her family is not traditional in that sense, in fact her gay cousin is going to be her maid of honour. My brother told her that my girlfriend had work that day...

Edit 2: so after talking with my girlfriend I found out that before she and I were officially dating my Brother had drunkenly made a pass at her, she of course turned him down and as we weren't dating then and she figured he wouldn't remember she never brought it up, it's the only reason beyond the fact we're Lesbian couple she can think of for why he may have a grudge against her.

Edit 3: I first of all want to thank everyone for all your kind words and support, my girlfriend and I have decided we will not be attending the Wedding or Reception if it goes ahead, instead i've booked us a weekend trip at a cute airbnb on the beach at the same time and leftover money will be going to the deposit of our future home. Secondly, i've been in touch with my brother about this apparently his Fiancee has ripped him a new one for saying this about her family and based on how bad the argument was the entire wedding may be out the window (but that is just my speculation) of course he blames me and tells me how my "Phase" has caused him so much trouble in his relationship and possibly his wedding, i'm bisexual and he seems convinced i'll end up with a man eventually so this is just a phase. I'm going zero contact for a while until he makes amends with me and even then it will depend, meanwhile i've invited my potential SIL to come visit for a bit if she needs to get away from him and get her head together.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for reverse trick or treating with my wife?

quote:

Good evening.

This happened a few nights ago, but I just heard it was causing drama today.

My wife and I moved into our neighborhood a few weeks ago, and we live somewhat rural. We're in a small town, under 5,000 people, but have about 4 dozen homes within a 20 minute walk.

We know there aren't any kids in the neighborhood, and were told to expect no trick or treaters.

So, my wife and I dressed up in costumes we had easy access to, nothing controversial or inappropriate, and stocked up on candy. We made little baggies for each house in our neighborhood with about a dozen fun sized pieces of candy in each.

On Halloween night we went from house ot house, and about half the people opened for us. We'd give them candy, introduce ourselves, and move on. We started around 6:30 PM and finished around 8:30 PM. (We started far out, and moved back in towards home, towards a few people we had casually met.)

Today while getting the mail, my wife overheard a group of people talking about the new, weird, neighbors, who decided to take up a chunk of everyone's evening on a Saturday night.

That mixed with two of the houses on our route telling us that people don't do that kind of thing in our neighborhood, and one telling us we're going to burn in hell for celebrating a satanic holiday, has me thinking that A. We have at least one loony neighbor, but B. maybe we may have crossed a line in going out in the evening?

I'm dismissing the satanic panic right away, but with multiple people telling us we weren't welcome, and the stuff my wife overheard, I'm wondering, were we out of line?

Are we the assholes?

Thank you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for refusing to go to my Brothers wedding if my Girlfriend cannot come?

But I brought you here for the edit:

meanwhile i've invited my potential SIL to come visit for a bit if she needs to get away from him and get her head together.

I want the most hilarious thing to happen.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pomme de Terror posted:

You moved to a lame neighborhood of lame-os.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And just like that we've found the rear end in a top hat in the situation. If the family was doing fine there's an argument for spending $10-99k on some dumb poo poo (though not without discussing it with your intended life partner), but that should be enough for the OP's fiance to get out asap before he burns their retirement on a restaurant where dogs in heelies perform magic tricks.

There's an interesting bit of human psychology around the holocaust, individual Nazis being told to kill Jews or other undesirables often couldn't handle it. For whatever reason a pre-modern Assyrian, Roman, Mongol, or whatever soldier could be told they had to kill captive civilians or soldiers and they did it with swords or blunt objects without much historical record of issues around that. But 20th century Nazis often displayed serious PTSD symptoms when asked to do the same, even with guns, to the point where new less personal methods of killing people had to be developed.

I think a lot of those big ancient civilian killing marathons were in or after the heat of battle (which of course still accounts for lots of civilian deaths even today). Whereas the Nazis were doing that stuff not just in active warzones but well and stable behind the lines territories where they had absolute military supremacy. With those Einsatzgruppen squads I mentioned being literal squads whose entire job was finding Jews, rounding them up, and killing them. Rather than active troops who were called over to take care of the job right after the capture of like Warsaw or something.

It's the industrialization aspect people often mention when it comes to the holocaust. So this also misses even the hellish mob violence mentality that pogroms would feature.
They were asking people to be monsters outside of situations that normally turn people into monsters.

Hell even in the camps there would be so much dehumanization going on, prisoners given numbers, prison clothes, families broken down, generally just degrading bodily into pathetic shells. Whereas the organized village massacre squads would be grabbing people straight up from their homes, families and all.

Anyway how is your friday night going?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kntfkr posted:

This is what I'm aiming for. Going to try to get them into surfing and climbing while they're little until they express an interest in team sports or music and hope that sticks. If we move to China, I reckon it'll be a non issue. WeChat's not as bad.

I think the cons of social media far outweigh the positive. Destroys relationships, the inequality on full blast that you're supposed to embrace, enabling of harassment, the direct increase on young suicides. And it's a total time sink. I mean so is SA but at least we have fun.

WeChat just reminds me of that John Oliver special that showed that those culture-specific social media platforms are just as bad as far as insane misinformation, except in someplace like China, you also have fewer ways to do research to see if whatever you see on it has any validity. So people just believe the Facebook-style misinformation posts they get on it because they don't have anything to compare it to.

seriously, just teach your kid how to handle social media. It's like sex. Teach them how to handle it safely.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

I am a moderator on several other subs so I am using a throwaway so as to not cross the streams so to speak.

YTA without even reading the rest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beachcomber posted:

You moved to a lame neighborhood of lame-os.

Seriously, that's just a cute thematic way of introducing you to your new neighbors. I'm amazed the HOA didn't come threaten to kick them out, given this response. What a bunch of sourpusses.

oh jay posted:

YTA without even reading the rest.

I could see accidentally ending up as one on a sub you're particularly fond of after a big shake-up, but voluntarily modding several subs? That's scary.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pomme de Terror posted:

They live in a rural area, so presumably the mailboxes are quite far apart and yet somehow the wife overheard a 'group of people' talking about them within earshot while getting the mail. What?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe they were trying to get a posse together to kill the new Satan worshippers

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Rescue Toaster posted:

They live in a rural area, so presumably the mailboxes are quite far apart and yet somehow the wife overheard a 'group of people' talking about them within earshot while getting the mail. What?

some rural areas have all the mailboxes together in a clump at the end of the road so the postie can be lazy

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
who the gently caress introduces themselves on a saturday evening

obviously the assholes

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grape posted:

I'd love to see this shithead explain the Einsatzgruppen period of policy that preceded heavy use of the camps.

"They were just herding them into the woods from the nearby village at gunpoint, to uh, uh, huddle there until the end of the war?? But they kept getting attacked by bears and having other unfortunate mishaps one gets into out in the woods, so the Nazis had to bury them together when this happened. With gunshot wounds, from the bears and stuff."

Speaking of, there's a really good French documentary on the Einsatzgruppen - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6953928/ - that's available on Netflix and Amazon Prime. It being translated from French isn't such a big deal since most of the interviews in the show aren't in French or English to begin with. Highly recommended if you want to ruin your weekend.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 5, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Teen Witch, I wanted you to see this image from the Vantasm: Post Pictures from Trashy Old Magazines thread.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

some rural areas have all the mailboxes together in a clump at the end of the road so the postie can be lazy

Some even just have mailboxes at the post office and no where else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pyrofreak421 posted:

Some even just have mailboxes at the post office and no where else.

That's me! I had been prepared to put a mailbox in our new house, which had never had one, and the postmistress pointed that we're right off a major state highway and maaaaybe having the mail/packages right within easy grab range was a bad idea.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I seem to remember that as part of their Republican mandated cost cutting, houses were no longer getting individual boxes and it would all be big metal blocks going forward.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bug Squash posted:

The Nazis didn't have the technology to build a big fire???

They did, but ironically, their only written record was in the books they were burning :(

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

wonder how much extra she had to pay the wedding planner to pull that poo poo for her

"
He also claimed that the Nazis didn’t have the technology to burn millions of bodies"

hrmmmmm

Literally shouted at my phone "the technology is fire?!?!"
Break up with your idiot boyfriend, we don't have the technology to fix him

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
gently caress nazis

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rescue Toaster posted:

a town of several thousand people can probably be described as "rural" if it's not contiguous with a bigger city, but it will still have plenty of little houses on regular sized lots

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Reddit comments agree that the sister told the wedding planner to say this, in hopes that the wedding planner would be the bad cop for her.

The OP putting the wedding planner on blast on social media with that direct quote "I hope someone starts white to your wedding," especially without context, could seriously jeopardize her business. Whether she did it on her own or not, seems like a major lack of judgment.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Pomme de Terror posted:

They are probably upset because Halloween was on Sunday, not Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Bargearse posted:

gently caress nazis

No, don't gently caress nazis.