Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Also, am I bad at video games or is the gap between difficulty levels enormous?

The gap between the first and second difficulty is huge. My brothers and I played through the first and after 2 levels decided it was way too easy and we should restart at veteran. We moved back to the easier mode pretty quickly.

I watched someone try nightmare and they stepped outside to a bunch of zombies with acid blood in the starter hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I feel like a lot of the difficulty on higher levels stems from being able to actually kill your teammates.
RIP to whatever poor bastard steps in front of me when I'm using a barrett, because I will NOT learn trigger control.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

RIP to whatever poor bastard steps in front of me when I'm using a barrett, because I will NOT learn trigger control.

Are you me?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Are you me?

If you also routinely got booted from Hardcore COD matches because you would always shoot a teammate in the back of the head because they always stepped in front of you the moment you shot at an enemy, then yes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We've been stuck for three nights on the checkpoint in Ch 3 that starts at the cabins by the lake. With 3 or 4 players the game is just relentless with special spawns. the second, sometimes even the first levels can be insanely tough and often really cheap. We haven't made it to the last part with a full team. With two bots getting to the last level before the checkpoint isn't too bad, but I'm convinced the last part where you have to load the supplies into the truck is drat near impossible with bots. They are utterly useless.

I am at the point where I despise the part where you take the little tram over the lake. It's not even that it's very hard it just reminds me of how many times I have done that stupid level and also it semi frequently bugs out and just knocks me off the tram into the lake out of nowhere. It's just such an unfun, badly designed section.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I feel like a lot of the difficulty on higher levels stems from being able to actually kill your teammates.

the perk that negates friendly fire while you crouch is a godsend for those of us that are friendly fire inclined.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Scruffpuff posted:

I find it hard to explain exactly what I don't like about the new specials without wading into the waters of "Oh I just want L4D again." I want to enjoy the game for what it is, but ultimately some comparisons are unavoidable.

For example, there were only a handful of specials in the first game. Each showed up in the background first, with a musical cue unique to each one. No matter what you were doing, the minute you heard that cue, your brain immediately started to make adjustments based on the situation on the ground. If you were standing in a higher spot than your team, and you heard the smoker music, you knew you had to get down with the rest of the group. If you so much as turned a corner out of line of sight and you heard a hunter, you knew you were in danger. There were also unique sounds they made, even if you missed the music, that would immediately instantiate a responsive reaction from the player that forced you to make a very quick tactical evaluation.

I kinda love this game and this is actually my biggest issue with it. The sound design is so lacking compared to other games of the genre. Less people would give a gently caress if it had proper musical stingers to direct them in what they should do. Currently its a lot of confusion and unless your group has put in time to learn, it'll poo poo on you.

The Door Frame posted:

Also, am I bad at video games or is the gap between difficulty levels enormous?

Absolutely gigantic. They should have had a recruit, soldier, veteran, nightmare I think.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'd like one extra difficulty with no friendly fire

Also I'd like a slightly different hitmarker when it's a teammate shooting me

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Friendly fire is almost just a "Card tax" because half of my team just takes the Down in Front card on veteran.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

We've been stuck for three nights on the checkpoint in Ch 3 that starts at the cabins by the lake. With 3 or 4 players the game is just relentless with special spawns. the second, sometimes even the first levels can be insanely tough and often really cheap. We haven't made it to the last part with a full team. With two bots getting to the last level before the checkpoint isn't too bad, but I'm convinced the last part where you have to load the supplies into the truck is drat near impossible with bots. They are utterly useless.

I am at the point where I despise the part where you take the little tram over the lake. It's not even that it's very hard it just reminds me of how many times I have done that stupid level and also it semi frequently bugs out and just knocks me off the tram into the lake out of nowhere. It's just such an unfun, badly designed section.

In case you don't know: you can just run/jump through the lake without triggering tram. It's quicker and seems to spawn way less enemies than the tram ride.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Schnitzler posted:

In case you don't know: you can just run/jump through the lake without triggering tram. It's quicker and seems to spawn way less enemies than the tram ride.

LMAO why didn't this occur to me, I've seen people fall off and run alongside plenty of times!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat I always figured that would spawn more, that's crazy

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Friendly fire is almost just a "Card tax" because half of my team just takes the Down in Front card on veteran.

This is a good point, I've noticed a few cards like this. It reminds me of the backwards design in some F2P games, where they design the game, then put in a problem, then sell the item that removes that problem.

So far the card system seems to have a 50/50 design. Half of the cards let you make a cool build, the other half help you cope with the poo poo the higher difficulties throw at you.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

drat I always figured that would spawn more, that's crazy
It's like a topic that you'd hear in one of those commentary bubbles in L4D. "We created this cool ferry event [editor's note: it was not cool] but the players eventually figured out that they didn't need to take the ferry at all. It was easier for them to ford it since the encounter spawns were tied to the ferry."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SettingSun posted:

It's like a topic that you'd hear in one of those commentary bubbles in L4D. "We created this cool ferry event [editor's note: it was not cool] but the players eventually figured out that they didn't need to take the ferry at all. It was easier for them to ford it since the encounter spawns were tied to the ferry."

So they either skipped playtesting, or did playtesting and ignored feedback. Was Blizzard hired on as a consultant?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If anything I figured the water would slowly harm you since anything deeper than three feet kills you instantly

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is one of those cards that I kind of wish was a group card. Although the only person in my group that uses it is the melee guy, who just crouches and lets us all blast the gently caress out of him for free horde clears.

I really wish that card would disable the "STOP SHOOTING ME" soundbyte that plays when someone shoots you for no damage. Really counterintuative.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I ran a melee deck that eschewed the friendly fire card and I didn't really notice missing it. That is likely for two reasons: the deck stacked damage resistance, health, and HP on kill so I could take any hit, and/or my team carefully shot around me. The card is still probably worth a spot in the deck regardless.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Friendly fire sucks anyway, I dunno why it had to be a thing here, in the game where you shoot a lot of human silouhettes in the dark and fog, or in tiny alleyways and rooms.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm having a lot of fun quick playing into recruit and having new people freak the gently caress out as I go into unstoppable melee mode with the more advanced cards

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Schnitzler posted:

I assumed it would ramp up the spawns. I'll have to do that.

Similarly the combine part isn't that hard if you don't activate it. Most of the parts that let you use a toolkit to make it a bit easier seem like a total waste of supplies.

It's is funny cause if you use the toolkit, the tram goes much faster, but it's the exact same speed as just jumping through the water. You can keep up the whole time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I laughed at the new thread title but there was a deep pain behind it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ShootaBoy posted:

Friendly fire sucks anyway, I dunno why it had to be a thing here, in the game where you shoot a lot of human silouhettes in the dark and fog, or in tiny alleyways and rooms.

It doesn't help that a number of the mutations' attacks basically require you to shoot directly at your friends anyway.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

If anything I figured the water would slowly harm you since anything deeper than three feet kills you instantly

This is what I thought, touching that water would insta-kill you if the tram didn't reach it's scripted break zone

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It doesn't help that a number of the mutations' attacks basically require you to shoot directly at your friends anyway.

...or that once you're maybe halfway through a level, every character in the team is so covered in blood, ash, and vomit that they're hard to distinguish at a glance from a zombie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

This is what I thought, touching that water would insta-kill you if the tram didn't reach it's scripted break zone

It's not scripted. It just tends to break at the end but we've had it break 1/4th of the way in after some unlucky enemy spawns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm fine with friendly fire being on, but there should be more of a buffer after shooting at an incapped teammates. It's hard to help anyone out without damaging them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The potential for friendly fire is integral to firearm-based teamwork games IMO.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wanderer posted:

...or that once you're maybe halfway through a level, every character in the team is so covered in blood, ash, and vomit that they're hard to distinguish at a glance from a zombie.

Our resident axe-crazy Holly player wears one of the really plain outfits, so her silhouette in particular ends up being a lot like a zombie's after a few seconds with a crowd, and our group's sniper domes her probably at least once a map as a result.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Corbeau posted:

The potential for friendly fire is integral to firearm-based teamwork games IMO.

Agreed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

Our resident axe-crazy Holly player wears one of the really plain outfits, so her silhouette in particular ends up being a lot like a zombie's after a few seconds with a crowd, and our group's sniper domes her probably at least once a map as a result.

Tbh Holly kind of drives me nuts. Our main Holly player bounced off the game and it's nice actually being able to shoot zombies without having a melee person I'm trying not to shoot in the way all of the time.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think that I'm the only player in our group who never takes Down in Front, but that's because I'm sniping. It's kind of hard to play point defense if you're crouching in the back of the group and can't see anything. The card is really good on melee (just crouch in a choke point and the whole team can go nuts) or on anyone with an automatic weapon (so you can crouch and spray any teammate getting mobbed).

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Placed the minigun in the doorway of the house in the T5 collect and drop off the research in the truck mission and ... tallboys and large specials cannot get past it making that mission so much easier.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll have to try that.

Ay tips for t-5 veteran would be appreciated. we are all just so sick of playing the levels leading up to it just to get slaughtered. The endless onslaught of enemies is just outrageous.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if you're doing it already but T5 is a lot more enjoyable if you lay out a bunch of razor wire

Don't jump off the deck, just throw razor wire down into the main area and keep going back to the vendor for more razor wire

Also you can jump from the porch to a box and then onto the truck

And this is definitely not required but we like to throw all the orange boxes at the front door until we have found them all and then we start taking them to the truck

If you're in the house the whole time then the ogre seems to have trouble knowing you're there and will sometimes wander to the back of the house

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Got a new fun bug

Ok my wife's account, the copper scavenger wall hacks don't work

Same Xbox but for some reason that account can't see them through walls

I've done multiple runs and even played as host and it doesn't highlight piles

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, that's baffling.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like I need to stop marking birds because theres always some doofus that goes out of their way to shoot them

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Turning the box off and on again somehow fixed the copper wallhack issue

Either that or it hosed up because I had two profiles signed in and something happened when switching between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Where the gently caress is the exit to this goddamn library and why did the idiot shitbags making this game not put objective markers up for things like that

I found it. It's the exit door hidden in a corner and not the one that's really obvious with EXIT over it and zombies wandering outside, that one doesnt open