Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I def. see it being plausible that some notable idiots are gonna start throwing this around on Fox News and what not, but a lot of companies are already looking at it from a "Wait, we can save how much?!?" by not having to maintain an office space for every single employee.

Current employer has all but said it's going to be a permanent fixture once our merger goes through, and a rather large financial org I just interviewed with was hiring specifically for people to WFH.

It's gonna be a thing the usual suspects whine about, but it's too late to cram the toothpaste back into the tube with this one. The only places forcing everyone to come in 9-5 for pure office work with no real client facing roles are going to end up having retention and recruiting issues. Yahoo got away with it in 2013 because it was the exception, not the norm. Not anymore.

It's definitely impossible at this point to turn back the clock on remote working but there's still going to be a drawn out rear guard action from the lobbies and interest groups that lose out from the move, notably office real estate landlords and the small business owner class that's dependent on office traffic. At the senior GOP levels they'll go along with whatever makes big business happy, but at the state and local level I could see push back to try and prop up the middle tier investors & business owners who are financially tied-to or otherwise impacted by keeping in-person work. Downtowns in particular are going to have to radically change if they're going to survive not having office workers return.

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1455984994845872131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm all for everyone having the opportunity to work from home as needed, but seeing all the enthusiasm for permanent remote work is like watching folks sprint jubilantly toward a cliff.

counter-point for the US: If our collective asses where replaceable by some dude in south east asia who can be paid pennies on the dollar to make crud apps they would have done so far before covid existed, butts in seats be damned. 100% Telework in tech has been possible and doable for 90% of positions for at least the last decade, the remaining 10% being break fix and datacenter stuff.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can't wait until they realize that they could realistically get people abroad to deliver good enough results for a fraction of the cost, leading to what remains of the middle class in high cost of living countries being replaced by equally adequate foreign equivalents.

This was already happening at my company not long before Covid as a management campaign to reduce the cost of labor for what I'll call "intellectual" jobs ... roles that require some autonomy and sense of propriety about the work being done. That is in contrast to earlier models where a bunch of MBAs and industrial engineers take their plans to someplace with low-cost hands. This newer offshoring extends not only to any kind of work that scales-up with the market-share, but also product development and some commercial operations. Naturally, management doesn't get exported.

I think my company was well-suited to be an early adopter because they have a global presence as a conglomerate, and I don't doubt the c-suite often horse trades with the State Department along the lines of "help out their economy by creating some jobs and we'll provide some loan guarantees to buy your brand." So when Covid came, we were already used to having a least a partially remote team. And yeah, in the last year we moved out of our leased office space into something much smaller that cannot have a desk for everyone local.

The only thing we haven't embraced is time zones. Absolutely gently caress trying to be a cohesive team simultaneously in the US, Western Europe, the Levant, and China/Oceania. Let the loving bosses get up for a 6AM meeting with folks near the Black Sea and then stick around to 9PM to talk with Beijing while being available all day for the US.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm all for everyone having the opportunity to work from home as needed, but seeing all the enthusiasm for permanent remote work is like watching folks sprint jubilantly toward a cliff.

Yup. I think the net effect will have to be that compensation for many in the US is going to become competitive with countries with a much lower cost of living. Plenty of smart engineers, higher-tier support, and finance types in those places cost half or less than a US (or godforbid Canadian or British)-equivalent. Except the bosses of course, there will just be a greater salary divide there ... at least until all the data-driven metrics get stuffed into some machine learning and one person will be expected to do the job of three and be available 24 hrs/day for 2x the salary.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Lake of Methane posted:

... for 1/2 the salary.

Caught your typo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can't wait until they realize that they could realistically get people abroad to deliver good enough results for a fraction of the cost, leading to what remains of the middle class in high cost of living countries being replaced by equally adequate foreign equivalents.

Yeah like others have said, replacing office drones with oversea workers has been a thing long before WFH and COVID. I don't disagree with you that it's certainly going to accelerate now (and that doesn't even include things like automation), but I think the bigger ramifications are still ahead of us. Personally I think it's a beneficial change but like any major shift in work culture, there are going to be downsides that people didn't really think of.

That substack article is right about the next time the GOP takes control of the house though. You are def. going to see legislation aimed at forcing Federal workers returning to office getting passed. Though I wonder how the unions will deal with it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah like others have said, replacing office drones with oversea workers has been a thing long before WFH and COVID. I don't disagree with you that it's certainly going to accelerate now (and that doesn't even include things like automation), but I think the bigger ramifications are still ahead of us. Personally I think it's a beneficial change but like any major shift in work culture, there are going to be downsides that people didn't really think of.

That substack article is right about the next time the GOP takes control of the house though. You are def. going to see legislation aimed at forcing Federal workers returning to office getting passed. Though I wonder how the unions will deal with it.

My agency is explicitly declining to renew our leases on the grounds that WFH and remote positions are more cost effective than DC office rents. We literally can't move people back to the office because we don't have the office to put them in.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It will depend on the industry. Tech is staying remote, there's no going back now. Any company that tries to go back on that will see an exodus of employees and they won't have any trouble finding another job that is remote.

Other white collar industries where workers don't have the same leverage, we'll have to wait and see. If some executives decide they want to see asses in seats, a lot of people aren't really going to have any choice but to get their asses in seats.

Yeah my MegaCorp is a slow moving dinosaur, we only got sent home after coworkers began dropping dead. Our management would want everyone back as that’s the culture, but they got pushback from IT management as we already weren’t paying talent competitively and had been plugging the gaps with expensive contractors, and so many people were leaving it reached the point where many depts would have stopped functioning if they rushed people back in. Now there’s talk of permanent WFH for IT, which is alright with me.

On a larger level it’s annoying to have the back to the office/WFH argument framed as being a generational thing, as others have pointed out many rich people rent out office space and need a captive crowd to buy things while commuting and getting lunch. It’s like a few years back in my state when there was a ballot measure to privatize liquor sales and only watching the ads you’d think it was a debate between serious looking fire fighters concerned about drunk driving and the other side wanting more freedom, when a quick glance at who donated 99% of the money shows it was a fight between grocery stores and beer companies.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1456603976468684802?t=Q-IhRhwl0n_puj4sOwZg5g&s=19

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1456579233933938691?t=3rgBxibrGrdcOUdyqPkvcg&s=19

Lotta good news this morning - it's not just Merck that figured out how to make an anti-COVID pill (that isn't ivermectin :v: ). Very possible that we get one more lovely winter of COVID then it goes endemic for 2022.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/donnermaps/status/1455928984315707392?s=21

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1456603976468684802?t=Q-IhRhwl0n_puj4sOwZg5g&s=19

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1456579233933938691?t=3rgBxibrGrdcOUdyqPkvcg&s=19

Lotta good news this morning - it's not just Merck that figured out how to make an anti-COVID pill (that isn't ivermectin :v: ). Very possible that we get one more lovely winter of COVID then it goes endemic for 2022.

What do you mean by "goes endemic," exactly? It sure seems like it lives here now

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
From pandemic to endemic. So like the flu…bro :v:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm actually worried combined flu-covid booster shots will mean fewer people get the flu shot.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Covid vaccine already has much higher uptake rate than the average flu shot. Anyone who was going to even consider getting a flu shot will have gotten a covid one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

US Berder Patrol posted:

What do you mean by "goes endemic," exactly? It sure seems like it lives here now

It means practically everyone in a given place has immunity either from infection or immunization.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm actually worried combined flu-covid booster shots will mean fewer people get the flu shot.

I see only upsides.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Midjack posted:

It means practically everyone in a given place has immunity either from infection or immunization.

Which is an interesting definition, since infection doesn’t confer lasting immunity and none of the current vaccines are sterilizing, they just make infection less likely and reduce the severity of breakthrough cases.

Endemic just means “We’re tired of dealing with this. Get back to work and school and consuming products.” It’s a policy decision, not an actual change in the status of the deadly virus responsible for millions of deaths.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kyletrainemoji/status/1456383140163817472?s=21

Wehraboos vs “citation needed”

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Loucks posted:

Which is an interesting definition, since infection doesn’t confer lasting immunity and none of the current vaccines are sterilizing, they just make infection less likely and reduce the severity of breakthrough cases.

Endemic just means “We’re tired of dealing with this. Get back to work and school and consuming products.” It’s a policy decision, not an actual change in the status of the deadly virus responsible for millions of deaths.

Well if it's responsible for a lot fewer deaths bc everyone has several mild breakthrough infections under their belt it's no longer gonna be responsible for as many deaths

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I tried doing this on German wiki for a tank ace dude after reading the article about that lady but my edits just disappeared into need to be approved limbo

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Endemic means a disease has reached a steady-state equilibrium, where it doesn't spike in infections out of nowhere but it also never ever goes away. Plenty of scientists expected COVID19 to eventually become endemic in the end. The four coronaviruses that make up 20% of common colds had to have come from somewhere. The hope is that with these new treatments and the much less severe infections among vaccinated folks, we can start treating COVID19 as no worse than a somewhat bad cold.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah others have basically said most of it, but turning COVID into a seasonal/hotspot problem instead of year-round domination. We'll never get to zero COVID, but we'll get to a point where it doesn't dominate our lives anymore. Get vaccine boosters/reformulations for variants, pills when you get sick, hospital treatments if things are real bad, and society carries on without the massive death toll we're still taking.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

golden bubble posted:

Endemic means a disease has reached a steady-state equilibrium, where it doesn't spike in infections out of nowhere but it also never ever goes away. Plenty of scientists expected COVID19 to eventually become endemic in the end. The four coronaviruses that make up 20% of common colds had to have come from somewhere. The hope is that with these new treatments and the much less severe infections among vaccinated folks, we can start treating COVID19 as no worse than a somewhat bad cold.

That’s true, and I would love for COVID-19 actually to be endemic. Problem is it is nowhere near said equilibrium and that hope for treatments that render infection no worse than a cold isn’t based on any experimental results afaik, just a vague desire to go back to how things were before. Instead we (in the US) largely abandoned non-vaccine countermeasures in May and are eagerly embracing the idea that this disease is currently endemic despite all evidence to the contrary.

Right now it’s just pure hopium combined with capital pressuring government to get the wage slaves back to work, body count be damned.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Loucks posted:

I more or less agree with this. The change from "pandemic" to "endemic" doesn't seem to be descriptive along a continuum of spread characteristics. Rather, I get the impression that this change in description is tied to an attempt to downplay the seriousness of our circumstances. Pandemic always describes diseases, present and maybe spreading across some region in spite of whatever controls we attempt to implement, which is scary. Meanwhile, endemic can describe birds or flowers or cute little frogs living in some place.

Unfortunately, endemic can also describe malaria and dengue, so saying that the horrifyingly infectious respiratory virus will hopefully become "endemic" does nothing to comfort me. It's cool that we're growing our therapeutic toolbox to deal with it, but uh things seem bad wrt to covid from my vantage. The powerful seem more intent on profiteering and propagandizing their way through this rather than doing anything to promote the common welfare (as usual, of course)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

https://www.wired.com/story/one-womans-mission-to-rewrite-nazi-history-wikipedia/

Wow, this woman is my hero.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Good for her, dang kinda nice how for something that been around forever Wikipedia still has decent quality controls. I know they have issues but clearing the hurdle of "we found something we host that enables far right extremist recruiting, when brought to our attention it was removed" is impressive.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
QAaron Rodgers

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1456677716829351936?t=N2n9ilUPXOBkQLEtyY08Lg&s=19

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1456681964442996747?t=5N9RM-GKvOVblPoZSYACdA&s=19

https://twitter.com/StevePopper/status/1456677479435972616

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 5, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

This has struck me to my core.

On one hand, Go Pack, Go!

On the other hand, gently caress that poo poo. I'm not sure if Rodgers kept it hidden all these years or if the brain worms are a recent development, but gently caress THAT.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Suffer not the Nazi to live
also
Suffer not the glorifications of Nazi to exist

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I want the slides, man.

https://twitter.com/stevepopper/status/1456677479435972616?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mlmp08 posted:

I want the slides, man.

It's pretty funny because Rodgers has always been one of those "I'm a free thinker" types, much like Kyrie Irving and his flat-earth thing where you really couldn't quite tell if he was trolling or outright believing the nonsense. Then, once given enough time, they make it obvious that they've fully inhaled their own farts to power their galaxy brains:

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1456674136563015686

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1456710385638256648

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Brb gonna start rumor FDA to ban Ivermectin and only source is horse semen

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I can't help but think one of the problems with these people is they don't know where the internet comes from or what it really is. It's not a magic library of all knowledge, it's a stage on perpetual open-mic night.

(Also they are dumb as gently caress)

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

Brb gonna start rumor FDA to ban Ivermectin and only source is horse semen

MR HANDS RIDES AGAIN

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am watching this Aaron Rodgers interview, and I gotta be totally honest here,

This mf dumb as hell.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's the intersection of "has people who tell him everything he wants to hear" and "traumatic brain injuries"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Rodgers is a product of UC Berkeley, the epicenter of Soros Woke Mob conditioning and is a deep state plant attempting to trick REAL PATRIOTS

is a thing we will see sooner than later

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Another symptom of Hellworld:
https://www.reuters.com/breakingvie..._source=twitter

Black Rifle Coffee Company, the preferred bean water of chuds and "I totally would have enlisted back in 2007 but didn't but yet my opinion on X matters more than yours" types, is going to go public and is somehow valued at $1.7 billion USD.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheWeedNumber posted:

MR HANDS RIDES AGAIN

I guess what that dude did was riding a horse, technically speaking.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ASAPI posted:

This has struck me to my core.

On one hand, Go Pack, Go!

On the other hand, gently caress that poo poo. I'm not sure if Rodgers kept it hidden all these years or if the brain worms are a recent development, but gently caress THAT.

as a Lions fan, :rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

Rodgers is a product of UC Berkeley, the epicenter of Soros Woke Mob conditioning and is a deep state plant attempting to trick REAL PATRIOTS

is a thing we will see sooner than later

You joke, but

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1456692067258839040?t=OO5WQz40V9PQB2T5heQt8Q&s=19