Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1456588823287275528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Butterwagon posted:

Does the NFT even have to be a url or can I make an NFT of pi or something and sell it for a bazillion dollars?

a NFT can be anything. it's just a snippet of text in the blockchain

the reason they're mostly images is because half the crypto scammers want to draw in artists with the promise of big paychecks and use the artists' mainstream appeal to lure in more marks, while the other half want to reinvent trading cards and sell them to marks for big profits

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Butterwagon posted:

So if I have an image on my hard drive, the only way for me to be sure it isn't someone else's "property" is to compare it to every NFT in existence, right? Because they don't index the content or the hash so there's no way to look up an image in the blockchain?

This seems like a problem

A problem for who? My scams still have tons of patsys

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

There's so many reasons why this is a terrible idea I don't even know where to begin. The crypto part may actually be the least stupid thing about it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A thing I don't understand about "proof of stake" is how is it not a "rich get richer" type deal? Your ability to mine is based on the number of coins you already own or something?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Can’t wait until one of those NFT repository sites gets owned via basic sql-injection and someone replaces all the links to that .gif of the dude doing a flip while taking a poo poo. The world may be burning but I’ll have a hearty laugh.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MechaCrash posted:

A thing I don't understand about "proof of stake" is how is it not a "rich get richer" type deal? Your ability to mine is based on the number of coins you already own or something?

It's exactly that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

funeral home DJ posted:

Can’t wait until one of those NFT repository sites gets owned via basic sql-injection and someone replaces all the links to that .gif of the dude doing a flip while taking a poo poo. The world may be burning but I’ll have a hearty laugh.

Yeah but since NFTs are just people scamming or laundering, would anyone even notice if their expensive purchase turns into a gif of a making GBS threads flip guy?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Why this whole cryptocurrency malarky is nothing more than a scam.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

the image is not encoded, just a url linking to a site hosting it

there have been attempts at storing NFT art on the blockchain itself (so called on-chain NFTs) but the astronomical cost of storing each byte on the blockchain means the art is even cruder than the linked JPEG ones

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ryde posted:

There's so many reasons why this is a terrible idea I don't even know where to begin. The crypto part may actually be the least stupid thing about it.

Yeah I don’t even know where to start with this….

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So it's like China's social credit system but on the blockchain, therefore good?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Butterwagon posted:

Does the NFT even have to be a url or can I make an NFT of pi or something and sell it for a bazillion dollars?

Ok so fundamentally an NFT is just a unique entry on the blockchain. It can be "of" literally anything and all it does is say "Wallet X owns : [whatever]" The current NFT scam is to put URLS to images there, so if you wanted to yes you could put pi there and sell an NFT of it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

funeral home DJ posted:

I think they aren’t slapping it down because most of the people in said regulatory agencies have people older than dirt as their bosses, and the bosses aren’t prioritizing something they literally lack the knowledge to understand.

It’s hard to get an old fart in Congress to care or understand that poor people are getting fleeced while he has a few Goldman Sachs lobbyists pouring money down his pants.

It’s not just one-sided either. Congressional members in both Houses and parties lose touch with their modest to poor roots the first day they learn about how their office furniture budget (all perfectly legal) is more than their mortgage back home. That’s before they ever even meet a lobbyist with access to the real money! I honestly believe the only thing that could make a dent in this is term-limiting how many times a single person can represent constituents. Mitch McConall (sp?) has more money personally than his district, and Bernie’s not quite living in “affordable housing,” either. At any of his homes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DerekSmartymans posted:

It’s not just one-sided either. Congressional members in both Houses and parties lose touch with their modest to poor roots the first day they learn about how their office furniture budget (all perfectly legal) is more than their mortgage back home. That’s before they ever even meet a lobbyist with access to the real money! I honestly believe the only thing that could make a dent in this is term-limiting how many times a single person can represent constituents. Mitch McConall (sp?) has more money personally than his district, and Bernie’s not quite living in “affordable housing,” either. At any of his homes.
What if we put the term limits on the blockchain?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1456590282124840963?t=Ii-3SdZUqLSCgim56UkPQA&s=19

Amazing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why bother waiting for an interviewer to google your twitter history? Just give it to them directly!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I would create a link to goatse and see what jobs it qualified me for.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nessus posted:

What if we put the term limits on the blockchain?

Goddammit, Beavis!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

No worries, in a couple months when bull market ends people can find out what happens when price re- correlates with value.

We've been saying that about Bitcoin for about 10 years now. Idiocy and the desire to scam idiots seems to combine into something that breaks normal economics.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Butterwagon posted:

So if I have an image on my hard drive, the only way for me to be sure it isn't someone else's "property" is to compare it to every NFT in existence, right? Because they don't index the content or the hash so there's no way to look up an image in the blockchain?

This seems like a problem

An NFT isn't an image, it's a digital certificate. So you can mint as many NFTs from the same image as you like. NFT enthusiasts would consider the oldest one on the blockchain to be the most desirable but you can re-sell the same jizz monkey as many times as the market will allow.

[e] Apparently it's not even a certificate. I was over-estimating the amount of effort made in setting up this scam.

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 6, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I believe that guy can fit all his social skills on the blockchain.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

"Good news honey! I got a job creating a website for some company!"
"Excellent! So whats the pay?"
"On completion I'll get a red elephant with one eye open, playing a bone guitar, while wearing a blue grass shirt and yellow sneakers.
If work is ahead of time and is bug free then there is a side reward of an astronaut nun hula hooping on Saturn's rings while she's giving the peace sign."
"Oh great! Does this mean we can eat this week?"
"gently caress knows!"

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Hillary 2024 posted:

We've been saying that about Bitcoin for about 10 years now. Idiocy and the desire to scam idiots seems to combine into something that breaks normal economics.

"The US stock market is on its longest bull-run in history. It began on 9 March 2009 and, so far, has lasted nine years, five months and 13 days."
e: source

It's gonna be hilarious watching bitcoin when we actually go back into a bear market (who knows when that will happen, but it will happen.)

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 6, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 6, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what determines stonks being bull VS bear?

like does it have to be weeks or months VS a few bad days/a bad one week?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

PhazonLink posted:

what determines stonks being bull VS bear?

like does it have to be weeks or months VS a few bad days/a bad one week?

Wikipedia posted:

A bear market is a general decline in the stock market over a period of time. It includes a transition from high investor optimism to widespread investor fear and pessimism. One generally accepted measure of a bear market is a price decline of 20% or more over at least a two-month period.

A smaller decline of 10 to 20% is considered a correction.

Wifi Toilet posted:

"The US stock market is on its longest bull-run in history. It began on 9 March 2009 and, so far, has lasted nine years, five months and 13 days."

It's gonna be hilarious watching bitcoin when we actually go back into a bear market (who knows when that will happen, but it will happen.)

Investors discovered if we all agree that number goes up then the market loses it's normal self limiting method. After that you're just waiting for Elon to have a coronary because nothing else is going to dent the idiot confidence

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Wifi Toilet posted:

I'd be cool with the bull market lasting until I retire. Been getting 20% returns on my index funds since I started buying in 3 years ago.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/NovaFunBun/status/1456663717962125318?s=20

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Has Greg Isenberg ever… held a job?

Does he have any idea how complex onboarding can be with Human Resources involved? So stupid

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

tehinternet posted:

Has Greg Isenberg ever… held a job?

Does he have any idea how complex onboarding can be with Human Resources involved? So stupid

I'm glad you asked

quote:

Previously, I was the Head of Product Strategy at WeWork

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vesi posted:

I'm glad you asked

quote:

Previously, I was the Head of Product Strategy at WeWork

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

it's exactly a rich-get-richer deal. you mine by putting up coins as collateral, and the more coins you put up, the higher your mining power is

crypto nerds think that's a good thing. proof of stake is mostly used on new cryptocurrencies, where they think they can jump in right at the start and buy up a bunch before the wealth accumulation really starts getting going. only to be left broke when the coin creator runs away with the cash a day or two later

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proof of steak.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Main Paineframe posted:

it's exactly a rich-get-richer deal. you mine by putting up coins as collateral, and the more coins you put up, the higher your mining power is

crypto nerds think that's a good thing. proof of stake is mostly used on new cryptocurrencies, where they think they can jump in right at the start and buy up a bunch before the wealth accumulation really starts getting going. only to be left broke when the coin creator runs away with the cash a day or two later

Is there a crypto system that doesn't rely on burning insane amounts of energy and also doesn't have this rich get richer design? Are those the only top options?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Talorat posted:

Is there a crypto system that doesn't rely on burning insane amounts of energy and also doesn't have this rich get richer design? Are those the only top options?

That's just capitalism tbh

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Talorat posted:

Not really, the entire cryptocurrency ecosystem was founded on ancap nonsense so anything that stinks of unregulated capitalism is baked in from the start.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

It's unbelievable how much this thread is a signal that it's still very early

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

this is some Bingo Bazonga Theory level writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1456946753547096067?s=20