Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Yup, that was quick. Thanks. Though I pretty distinctly remember the text "Goosey" in large font. Maybe that's just the goose's name.

the Star Goose (spaceship) is piloted by, I kid you not, Scousergitt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I have gone really bad with requests previously, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Arcade game I would have played sometime between 1989-1992, but game might be slightly older than that time frame.

Top down game like Ikari Warriors/Commando.

All I remember is that in the attract mode of the game it had a part where you either attack a battleship or some other type of boat or submarine, but I'm not sure if you were on foot at that point or in a little tank/sub.

I've watched over the attract modes/long plays of Ikari Warriors and Commando, but it didnt show what I had in my memory.

I know when I played it, that part of the game might have been either towards the end of level 1 or in level 2 as I managed to get to it/past it and I don't think I was that amazing at the game.

I am pretty certain it was an on foot shooter like Ikari Warriors, and not where you control a plane like 1942 etc...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maybe Guerrilla War, also from SNK? The game where you literally play as Castro and Che liberating Cuba

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

MMAgCh posted:

A modest degree of Internet sleuthing revealed that this feature was found in PC Zone's Christmas 2001 issue, for what it's worth!

Thank you! It's definitely in one of the screenshots there.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Custard Undies posted:

I have gone really bad with requests previously, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Arcade game I would have played sometime between 1989-1992, but game might be slightly older than that time frame.

All I remember is that in the attract mode of the game it had a part where you either attack a battleship or some other type of boat or submarine, but I'm not sure if you were on foot at that point or in a little tank/sub.

I've watched over the attract modes/long plays of Ikari Warriors and Commando, but it didnt show what I had in my memory.

I know when I played it, that part of the game might have been either towards the end of level 1 or in level 2 as I managed to get to it/past it and I don't think I was that amazing at the game.

I am pretty certain it was an on foot shooter like Ikari Warriors, and not where you control a plane like 1942 etc...

If it might be in a vehicle, you could be thinking of Jackal. One of the stage bosses is a missile cruiser.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Both good suggestions, but a quick glance thru the longplays on youtube and it doesn't appear to be either of those.

I've been looking for a while on this one, and gone thru most suggested games, so I really do wonder, like other questions I've had, whether I've either confused a couple of games together or completely made it up.

Edit: I watched some more of Guerrilla War and it really does seem familiar to me, so maybe that actually is it and I'm just misremembering parts of the game.

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 1, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Custard Undies posted:

MERCS the semi sequel to Commando?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

NAM-1975 maybe?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

hexwren posted:

NAM-1975 maybe?

It wasn't this, however this is another game I had forgotten about that I loved. So thanks :D

Sakurazuka posted:

MERCS the semi sequel to Commando?

It wasn't Mercs, thanks for the suggestion though, I don't think I ever played it so I might have to give it a go :)

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I've been desperately trying to remember the name of this game for about 15 years now. It was a mid/early 90s turn based strategy game. Like all great posts in this thread, I probably got a copy of it on some demo disc. I seem to remember the main conflict being robots versus humans. All movement took place on a square grid, you'd put in your actions and then all the ai units would take their turns. I remember there was a human unit based around a machine gun nest and a bipedal robot unit that looked like the one from robocop. All top down, 2d sprites. I feel like it might have had numbers in its name like 2000 or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Was it Z?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Yo, thread

Trying to recall an Arcade Game that I remember seeing probably around the earlier 90's. It stood beside a Rampage machine at a rec center.

It was a stand up cabinet, and was a shooter game played from an isometric perspective. I'm fairly certain it never got a home release, or we would have rented it or something and I'd have a more solid memory.

I remember the first level at least being very GREY. I remember the player character (a human) going up an escalator of some sort. The floor had a grid pattern on it, but I don't think the game was grid based. While my heart keeps telling me the enemies were some sort of robot, I don't really remember and I don't want this to be a red herring.

Finally I don't remember it being very good - my brother and I just wanted to play Rampage when we were there.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yo, thread

Trying to recall an Arcade Game that I remember seeing probably around the earlier 90's. It stood beside a Rampage machine at a rec center.

It was a stand up cabinet, and was a shooter game played from an isometric perspective. I'm fairly certain it never got a home release, or we would have rented it or something and I'd have a more solid memory.

I remember the first level at least being very GREY. I remember the player character (a human) going up an escalator of some sort. The floor had a grid pattern on it, but I don't think the game was grid based. While my heart keeps telling me the enemies were some sort of robot, I don't really remember and I don't want this to be a red herring.

Finally I don't remember it being very good - my brother and I just wanted to play Rampage when we were there.

That sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_the_Planet_of_the_Robot_Monsters?

e: f, b

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Dip Viscous posted:

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters

Yooooooooo THIS IS 100% CORRECT! Thank you to both of you, while this hasn't been a "haunt my every dream" level of mystery, I can now perfectly recreate this whole rec center in my memory, thank you!

edit: perfect that that screenshot has the escalator and grey grid floor in exactly the position in my memory, I wonder if I'd seen it somewhere else

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Here's one that's been nagging me for a while. Would have grabbed this from Download.com in the mid 90s. Shareware hex-based wargame with a generic theme, the most striking thing I remember is that it came with a text file of "Murphy's Laws Of Combat", which would run in a crawl along the bottom of the screen in menus.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Zombie Squared posted:

I've been desperately trying to remember the name of this game for about 15 years now. It was a mid/early 90s turn based strategy game. Like all great posts in this thread, I probably got a copy of it on some demo disc. I seem to remember the main conflict being robots versus humans. All movement took place on a square grid, you'd put in your actions and then all the ai units would take their turns. I remember there was a human unit based around a machine gun nest and a bipedal robot unit that looked like the one from robocop. All top down, 2d sprites. I feel like it might have had numbers in its name like 2000 or something.

While I'm here: Was this Space Crusade (Warhammer: 40,000)?

It had a top down or isometric view, and featured an old version of the Chaos Dreadnought, which looked kinda ED-209ish:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Gnoman posted:

Here's one that's been nagging me for a while. Would have grabbed this from Download.com in the mid 90s. Shareware hex-based wargame with a generic theme, the most striking thing I remember is that it came with a text file of "Murphy's Laws Of Combat", which would run in a crawl along the bottom of the screen in menus.

One of the Battle Isle games maybe?

Not sure if it had the Murphys Laws of Combat in it though.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I can confirm that Rampage is in fact better than Escape From The Planet of the Robot Monsters

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yooooooooo THIS IS 100% CORRECT! Thank you to both of you, while this hasn't been a "haunt my every dream" level of mystery, I can now perfectly recreate this whole rec center in my memory, thank you!

edit: perfect that that screenshot has the escalator and grey grid floor in exactly the position in my memory, I wonder if I'd seen it somewhere else

Well now that you've got it recreated in your mind it's time to set up an emulation machine and recreate those memories. :)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I've asked this one in this thread before but I'll try my luck again.

I remember a very early first person shooter, around the time of Catacomb 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, and it had the same kind of early engine. It was a DOS game and I'm pretty sure I got it from lordsoth.com back when that was a thing. It was very brown and the enemies were extremely poorly drawn. The thing I remember most though was the music - it was very depressing and oppressive, like a funeral dirge. I think there was only the one song, not sure about sound effects. The player character I think shot fireballs rather than using any guns.

Also, I know it's not Ken's Labyrinth

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I remember a very early first person shooter, around the time of Catacomb 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, and it had the same kind of early engine. It was a DOS game and I'm pretty sure I got it from lordsoth.com back when that was a thing. It was very brown and the enemies were extremely poorly drawn. The thing I remember most though was the music - it was very depressing and oppressive, like a funeral dirge. I think there was only the one song, not sure about sound effects. The player character I think shot fireballs rather than using any guns.

Could it be Depth Dwellers?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That's in the right ballpark, but I remember the enemies being way uglier. Like animated kindergarten doodles

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

From that time period we also have Escape from Monster Manor(more brown, more dirgey) and Pathways into Darkness(doodlier monsters).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Manager Hoyden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmAPbxC-iE

"Fun" fact: it's the 4th installment in the "Hugo's House Of Horrors" adventure trilogy which somehow paid for themselves strictly through shareware floppies.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Joe Man posted:

"Fun" fact: it's the 4th installment in the "Hugo's House Of Horrors" adventure trilogy which somehow paid for themselves strictly through shareware floppies.

That is definitely it! Thanks everyone

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

The Joe Man posted:

I loved 1 & 2, I played a little bit of 3 but never gave it much time. That is a cool little fact haha.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
There was once an old Star Trek game where you could go online into a multiplayer conquest mode where many people warred over the map on various factions. Kind of like an early era RTS MMO, only with grand strategy and pseudo-procedural missions. The game had ships you'd take into actual combat by traveling on a grid like map, and you'd command one ship (and usually only started out with that one), initiating various actions and doing missions according to the nature of your faction.

I remember wasting hours of time in the MP mode and reading that insanely large manual it had. But I can't find the name of it now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 5, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

b-but that's not a trilogy....

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Archonex posted:

There was once an old Star Trek game where you could go online into a multiplayer conquest mode where many people warred over the map on various factions. Kind of like an early era RTS MMO, only with grand strategy and pseudo-procedural missions. The game had ships you'd take into actual combat by traveling on a grid like map, and you'd command one ship (and usually only started out with that one), initiating various actions and doing missions according to the nature of your faction.

I remember wasting hours of time in the MP mode and reading that insanely large manual it had. But I can't find the name of it now.

This sounds like Starfleet Command from 1999 which had a big kind of open galaxy campaign

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
that's why nitemare 3d was revolutionary don't think about it

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This sounds like Starfleet Command from 1999 which had a big kind of open galaxy campaign

Did it let you command a single ship/fleet while the rest of the players all had their own ships/fleets fighting over the galaxy? Because if so holy poo poo I hope there's still a fan community going after all this time. That game was so niche and awesome and I haven't seen anything like it since.

Dicking around in the massively multiplayer mode was fun as hell even though sometimes your faction's players were doing poo poo and you would just get rocked by a romulan warbird right out the gate.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 5, 2021

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The Joe Man posted:

I've always loved that, after three games of extremely obtuse parser-based "logic" puzzles, Hugo was just like "gently caress this, I'm just gonna run around killing everything"

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Hugo adventure games being at all successful is made even more surprising by the shareware episode being the shittiest one by a large margin. Loved not being able to finish the game without knowing that Roy Rogers had a dog named Bullet with no Internet access or in game hints.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dip Viscous posted:

The Hugo adventure games being at all successful is made even more surprising by the shareware episode being the shittiest one by a large margin. Loved not being able to finish the game without knowing that Roy Rogers had a dog named Bullet with no Internet access or in game hints.

I remember asking my dad this, and that helped out immensely. I was also very surprised when the question "Where does Aslan live?" came up because my class at school was literally reading "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" around that time. Felt super smart, might've peaked.

"Hugo 2: Who Has Done This?" was my personal favourite, but goddamn were some clues and puzzles obscure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

We got Hugo III: Jungle of Doom from a shareware CD and I had no idea what I was doing as a 9 year old kid. I'd played Monkey Island at a friend's house before but I didn't really understand text parser adventure games and I immediately got caught by a witch doctor and died every time I tried playing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Dip Viscous posted:

It's a wild game. I actually just streamed a playthrough a few weekends ago, decades after getting it on 5.25" floppy as a child and never getting past the dog. Some of the puzzles are on the level of "there is a combination lock and 333 was written on a mirror inside," but others are like "you must pre-type the extremely specific command before walking into the room or the dog will instantly kill you"

It's hilariously unconcerned with maintaining a level of threat or dread. You think you need to be scared of the mad scientist and monster assistant. Nope! There's an entire dinner party full of monsters you can walk in on, shouldn't you run away? Nope! Aww, a little doggie!! THE DOG SPRINTS ACROSS THE HOUSE AND DISMEMBERS HUGO, YOU MUST QUIT OR RESTORE

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Now I'm thinking back to Sierra adventures that could be made unwinnable in the first 15 minutes, and you won't know you did that unless you buy a hint book.

It's a good thing those games (especially Space Quest 3) were so charming, because they were BULLSHIT.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shine posted:

Now I'm thinking back to Sierra adventures that could be made unwinnable in the first 15 minutes, and you won't know you did that unless you buy a hint book.

It's a good thing those games (especially Space Quest 3) were so charming, because they were BULLSHIT.

I never got into Sierra style adventures for that reason. I was a lucasarts kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I never got into Sierra style adventures for that reason. I was a lucasarts kid

How appropriate, you type like a cow