Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Updated the OP, mostly switching out company names though.

You forgot the barbecue sauce! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SCheeseman posted:

https://twitter.com/scattermoon/status/1456559932069789715

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I really thought adding "for me" would pre-empt these kinda comments but whatever

sorry, I didn't mean anything beyond Gorn's weapon physics cracks me up. ive probably spent as much time waggling weapons for fun as actual combat in the game

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

Are there any good quality VR stocks that aren’t prohibitively expensive?

There ought to be some STL files on thingverse

Edit: there are 80 of them, at least

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Whew, now that Facebook's out of the picture, it's really easy to follow the thread title's directions! Meta Quests for everyone!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Might be worth mentioning AirLink in the OP. It's certainly got me playing some PCVR titles that I had left on the shelf that I didn't want to dick with USB tethers or configuring other programs for.

I wish there were a way in Onward to reposition your sidearm holster (besides just the binary chest rig/waist rig). Sits weirdly low on my natural waist: not quite a waist rig, not quite a drop holster. Realizing that I could toggle it to 1.7 and play with not N64 graphics got me back into that one, though the PC community seems dead. One lobby with a bunch of team killing Krauts lol.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 5, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tales of Soda Island ep 5 has been released. It's good as always. Also, a pair of weeks ago a new short called _HELLO was also released. Both can be watched in the VR Animation Player (Quest) or in Quill (Oculus pc).

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
The doom VR game is on sale, is it worth the 3 or 4 bucks?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

3 yes, 4 no

Edit: USD?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Reek posted:

The doom VR game is on sale, is it worth the 3 or 4 bucks?

once they finally fixed the persistent juddering on oculus headsets I found it to be pretty enjoyable

there's something special about getting up close and personal with a cacodemon and realizing they're like the size of a vw bug

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Can you use the sticks to move on an oculus controller?

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Hadlock posted:

3 yes, 4 no

Edit: USD?

$3.75 on Steam and I have about that much om my account but I don't want to waste it, I am very broke

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh yeah forcetube is 399.99 or some poo poo.

I have a few mamut ones. I've used them all of twice. I don't play games that have me shooting beyond mid range and I'm "as accurate" mid range and closer with no stock since I dont run long range rifles.

Games like sniper elite, the game compensates enough so I never set it up.

Then, I know people who refuse to VR without it if guns are involved.

They DO help me comp side for long range in things like onward. If I know I'm going to run long range optics anyways. So it has its place, I just rarely break it out.

I'm considering getting one so that I can operate bolt-action rifles properly, eg in H3VR or Into The Radius.

Usually I don't use my left hand to grip the rifle in VR - since that of course doesn't even remotely help to keep it steady - I use it to steady my right (shooting) hand. The thing is, you're meant to operate the bolt with your right hand, with your left hand still gripping the rifle. And if I try roll the rifle over in my right hand to grab the bolt with my left, the frames of the controllers bang into each other and I can't reach.

Makes sense in real life, doesn't make sense in VR.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I just bought a Quest 2 but I'm still waiting for my link cable to arrive in the mail.

Bit confused about wireless streaming my steam games. I managed to get Air Link working and it has a native desktop function which seems to work pretty well.

Every guide I have seen mentions the paid Virtual Desktop app, is it a must have or just a recommendation?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nowher posted:

I just bought a Quest 2 but I'm still waiting for my link cable to arrive in the mail.

Bit confused about wireless streaming my steam games. I managed to get Air Link working and it has a native desktop function which seems to work pretty well.

Every guide I have seen mentions the paid Virtual Desktop app, is it a must have or just a recommendation?

Virtual Desktop is how you used to have to do it before they came out with Air Link. It's a separate app with a separate server app that runs on your PC. f you're using Air Link that should be all you need.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Some games are 5fps higher in one or the other in my experience. It's good to have a backup in virtual desktop, but you don't need it.

VD and airlink keep trying to one up each other with features and performance which is good for the community.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Reek posted:

$3.75 on Steam and I have about that much om my account but I don't want to waste it, I am very broke

What's more worth it, if you have a Quest, is the drbeef doom 3 port, doom3quest.

Doom 3 is somewhere around 5 bux usually.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm considering getting one so that I can operate bolt-action rifles properly, eg in H3VR or Into The Radius.

Usually I don't use my left hand to grip the rifle in VR - since that of course doesn't even remotely help to keep it steady - I use it to steady my right (shooting) hand. The thing is, you're meant to operate the bolt with your right hand, with your left hand still gripping the rifle. And if I try roll the rifle over in my right hand to grab the bolt with my left, the frames of the controllers bang into each other and I can't reach.

Makes sense in real life, doesn't make sense in VR.

I mean, do whatever you feel is worth it but I've never had a problem using my left hand to grab the foregrip in H3VR. Or if I decide to fire a bolt action without stabilizing it, whenever I reload I just reach over and grab the foregrip with my left and work the bolt with my right.

It's a pain to have to constantly re-orient my hands whenever I grab a different rifle but I can usually keep my hands stable :shrug:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, do whatever you feel is worth it but I've never had a problem using my left hand to grab the foregrip in H3VR. Or if I decide to fire a bolt action without stabilizing it, whenever I reload I just reach over and grab the foregrip with my left and work the bolt with my right.

Hmm... You don't find that awkward to do quickly while in a firefight?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I dipped into PCVR VR Chat, and wen't into the movie watching room, and holy poo poo, the video quality was great. High rez, smooth, with no lag or pauses.

I wish Bigscreen on the Q2 was like that. Watching movies is cool, but too many anime kids spoil it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChocNitty posted:

I dipped into PCVR VR Chat, and wen't into the movie watching room, and holy poo poo, the video quality was great. High rez, smooth, with no lag or pauses.

I wish Bigscreen on the Q2 was like that. Watching movies is cool, but too many anime kids spoil it.

iirc, the rooftop cinema world has a few 3D movies. They look amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

too many anime kids spoil it.

Ironic because that’s normally what happens in VRchat

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
And that's why you don't attempt to watch movies outside of a friends+ world

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Anyone else get the oculus windows app seemingly restarting at random? Makes air link unusable for anything time sensitive, eg sim racing. I’ve been using virtual desktop as a work around but poo poo is irritating.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Rented movies stream direct from Bigscreen and look great. Bigscreen is getting an update in the next few weeks that shifts their streaming away from peer-to-peer to dedicated servers even for user rooms.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

mutata posted:

Rented movies stream direct from Bigscreen and look great. Bigscreen is getting an update in the next few weeks that shifts their streaming away from peer-to-peer to dedicated servers even for user rooms.

Not a fan. I already don’t like that I can’t just watch something streamed from bigscreen privately.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You can. You can watch rented movies alone just fine :confused:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I legitimately did not know rentals still existed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s a huge thing on Google Play and iTunes still because people will still happily pay Ł2 for a movie night instead of paying Ł14 for Netflix every month and being subject to their constantly shifting library.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

BrainDance posted:

What's more worth it, if you have a Quest, is the drbeef doom 3 port, doom3quest.

Doom 3 is somewhere around 5 bux usually.

Doom 3 is on sale on steam right now for a dollar twenty five

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I already own Doom 3 so I will just sidequest the drbeef port and save my duckets

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you’ve already got a VR capable PC the doom 3 vr mod for PC is a lot better than the quest one in terms of performance.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Origami Dali posted:

Waiting to happen? Dude was funneling money into the magasphere in 2016 and got axed from Facebook, where he was basically in a perfunctory advisory position anyway. He hasn't had anything to do with oculus for years.

Hey this is from pages back but I just finished History of the Future. I work at a place that is doing some extensive AR/VR work and someone recommended it.

It was interesting until the last quarter where the author basically just held water for Trump, luckey, Milo and Thiel.

Is there a good resource for the unbiased version of this whole drama?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah definitely worth getting the PC version, I've gotten a couple of hours into both and definitely prefer the beefier dr. beef option

also, speaking of VR modding doctors, DrBibop, responsible for the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod, has been constantly updating his mod.

A solid gold person, I messaged him with a request and he had a bespoke mod file packaged for me in 5 minutes!

And the Samus mod has been updated as well for more VR support, now when playing you have the Metroid Prime visor HUD to peer through.

risk of rain 2 is on sale now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Hey this is from pages back but I just finished History of the Future. I work at a place that is doing some extensive AR/VR work and someone recommended it.

It was interesting until the last quarter where the author basically just held water for Trump, luckey, Milo and Thiel.

Is there a good resource for the unbiased version of this whole drama?

Any eventual book based on the last decade of VR would really be more of an expose. There's been a lot of backstabbing and resentment, it might take some time and distance before people are willing to talk.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SCheeseman posted:

Any eventual book based on the last decade of VR would really be more of an expose. There's been a lot of backstabbing and resentment, it might take some time and distance before people are willing to talk.

True but I was talking more specifically about Palmers politics and his demise at the hand of them. Is there an unbiased look at that anywhere? The book was very much whitewashing over everything that was happening and I kept thinking "this cannot be the whole story"...

It just seemed very pro-Luckey/pro-Trump instead of an objective look like I thought it'd be.

I'm guessing all of the Reddit stuff from that time is still around so I didn't know if someone aggregated that info somewhere where I could get an unbiased look at it. If that makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

forest spirit posted:

Yeah definitely worth getting the PC version, I've gotten a couple of hours into both and definitely prefer the beefier dr. beef option

also, speaking of VR modding doctors, DrBibop, responsible for the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod, has been constantly updating his mod.

A solid gold person, I messaged him with a request and he had a bespoke mod file packaged for me in 5 minutes!

And the Samus mod has been updated as well for more VR support, now when playing you have the Metroid Prime visor HUD to peer through.

risk of rain 2 is on sale now.

Man, imagine if Metroid Prime was playable in VR.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

I initially thought that's what they were talking about and was bummed to see it's just a ROR2 mod :smith:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jack Trades posted:

lmao yeah the relentless jump puzzles would have a whole new level of difficulty

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao yeah the relentless jump puzzles would have a whole new level of difficulty

:barf:

I love that poo poo. I seriously need more VR games that let you jump around and move at high speeds.