Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

edogawa rando posted:

I haven’t watched any Rooster Teeth poo poo in years, but I wonder how people who still do feel about the older videos that feature Ryan Haywood in them?

Speaking just for myself, they're pretty much unwatchable -- especially stuff produced after 2017 or so because that's AFAIK when he really started his sexmonster stuff. I can still go back and enjoy, say, Kevin Spacey movies for the most part because mentally I can separate the role he's playing and the sexmonster he is IRL, but Ryan is always just Ryan, the same dude who's going to head home after gameplay wraps and pressure minors into sending him nudes or worse. It also doesn't help that he sort of leaned into playing the villain during his time at RT, which could be funny at the time in an "agent of chaos" sort of way but now I guess that's really who he was the whole time. :sigh:

FWIW I don't have the same problem with Adam Kovic videos -- he certainly deserved to be fired for what he did but his crimes are not even in the same universe as Ryan's. He's got a lot of poo poo to work through with his friends and family, but I think with effort he can be redeemable while Ryan deserves to rot in a cell the rest of his life. Fortunately there are a few different Ryan-free playlists that you can look up if you're like me and want to forget he ever existed.

That's just my opinion though -- everyone who was a Ryan/Adam fan is gonna have to make the same decision for themselves. Same with any other actor/writer/musician/whatever -- if you can separate art from artist that's fine, and if you can't that's fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

CinemaSins is basically what you get when you get gamer wiki brain but for movies.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm having flashbacks to the Nostalgia critics Sailor Moon review and I dont like it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Man, I spent most of the 2010s in the comedy scene in Austin, and it was wild seeing how many enthusiastic early-twentysomethings were upending their lives and moving to Austin specifically in hopes of one day getting to work for Rooster Teeth. For a while it seemed like every Level 1 improv class in town had at least one.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lotus Aura posted:

New video from James Somerton too, on gay (and other queer) characters in video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNKEkrPEfI

No mention of Bastard Bonds throughout the entire video. :sad:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Overbite posted:

I had no idea people took cinema sins as actual critique. I thought it was just a comedy video series where the “joke” is that they nitpick everything to death.

It's trying to have its cake and eat it too in that regard. A sin can be anything from the mere presence if Nicholas Cage or a character not cleaning their bedroom, mixed in with attempts at critique that don't work and uncomfortable leering over women in the cast.

You could probably do a decent parody of nitpick reviews by focusing on the absurd ones, or do a Cinema Sins that dings movies for actual biblical sins, ewually damning a movie for murder and the hero eating on a Fasting Day, but it wouldn't carry a channel.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 5, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Acute Grill posted:

It's trying to have its cake and eat it too in that regard. A sin can be anything from the mere presence if Nicholas Cage or a character not cleaning their bedroom, mixed in with attempts at critique that don't work and uncomfortable leering over women in the cast.

Even the Black Widow one that was cited as much improved had as a sin just... 'nature.' It was a shot of trees. DING!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acute Grill posted:

You could probably do a decent parody of nitpick reviews by focusing on the absurd ones, or do a Cinema Sins that dings movies for actual biblical sins, ewually damning a movie for murder and the hero eating on a Fasting Day, but it wouldn't carry a channel.
Might do if you pitch it as parental information for Good Christian Parents(TM). Probably not the kind of demographic you want to get too involved with though.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Arquinsiel posted:

Might do if you pitch it as parental information for Good Christian Parents(TM). Probably not the kind of demographic you want to get too involved with though.

Nah if I wanted to appeal to them I'd just repeat the Attack Helicopter joke for 10 minutes or whatever the current YouTube video length meta is at.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

An snappy film critic channel with an actual focus on ethics would own if it’s hot take don’t blow it up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yv4IJ1iCuQ

Ross's Freeman is the only sane man in a world of idiots.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

How do you watch any movie or tv show or play any games if you're this principled about the people who make them being good

As hosed as it is to say, I'm only really worried about here, because I don't want to share something from someone that's Anti-semitic or into QAnon or a terf or homophobic or sex pest like Louis CK or Vic Mignogna. And that's just in general. No amount of quality to the production or research will have anyone in here watching an Abby Shapiro video on speedrunning or whatever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

abby shapiro would speedrun games with her feet and that would at least have some carnival side show quality to it

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Man that Shaun video introduced me of a level below antivaxxers
Antivax-parasites

Dawgstar posted:

Even the Black Widow one that was cited as much improved had as a sin just... 'nature.' It was a shot of trees. DING!

I'd take lame jokes like that over their inaccurate ones or sexual ones. (Good god I forgot the Hermione one)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

abby shapiro would speedrun games with her feet and that would at least have some carnival side show quality to it

I think there's already a niche for content like that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I truly struggled to think of something that people would want to watch as an example.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Technology Connections is explaining black and white film development today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgsITqoDXQ.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBU848nH5-k

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

2015 Jimmy Dore would spit on 2017-onward Jimmy Dore. Never seen someone fall off a cliff so fast.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

2015 Jimmy Dore would spit on 2017-onward Jimmy Dore. Never seen someone fall off a cliff so fast.

According to Ana Kasparian and others who worked directly with him at the time, post-2017 Jimmy Dore was in fact the real Jimmy Dore all along, he was THAT big of a coreless mercenary, he just found someone willing to pay him enough to get him to drop the mask and show the world where the hole was.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Jimbot posted:

I feel like so many people who worked on The Young Turks ended up going goose poo poo insane. Jimmy Dore, Dave Rubin, that one guy whos name escapes me who said that old congresswoman assaulted him. (Tracy something?) I guess Cenk Uygur just has that effect on people lol. That or they were all just attention seeking grifters from the start.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jimbot posted:

I used to think Jimmy Dore had somewhat decent politics and even had the right idea about policing since he came from a family of cops (unfortunately the same case for me), but dude just loving went...strange after Trump got elected. I think Trump made the dude Dennis Miller himself hard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I feel like so many people who worked on The Young Turks ended up going goose poo poo insane. Jimmy Dore, Dave Rubin, that one guy whos name escapes me who said that old congresswoman assaulted him. (Tracy something?) I guess Cenk Uygur just has that effect on people lol. That or they were all just attention seeking grifters from the start.

I used to watch/listen to a lot of TYT in university. I can safely say if I had to interact with Cenk Uygur on a daily basis for an extended period, I would ALSO go completely off my tits insane.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Jimbot posted:

Seriously, he went from his peak relevance to the broad left with force the vote to a third Joe Rogan in less than a year. Arguably Bad Faith has had similar fall from grace but that was do to force the vote melting Briahna's brain so she could only talk about FTV for six month and the scandal with Virgil grooming a seventeen year old; Dore's fall is entirely self inflicted.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 5, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

I used to watch/listen to a lot of TYT in university. I can safely say if I had to interact with Cenk Uygur on a daily basis for an extended period, I would ALSO go completely off my tits insane.

Same. I used to watch TYT back in like 2014-15? But I fell off it because I realized Cenk is just an insufferable idiot. Time has only vindicated me.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Jamie Faith posted:

I seem to recall TYT brought Shaun King on board in 2017, which leans me strongly towards "TYT attracted a hell of a lot of grifters".

Honestly Dore is what turned me off TYT in general after watching it pretty heavily in 2016 (I spent a few months unemployed, and y'know what not like anyone ELSE regularly reported on Standing Rock). His whole vibe shifted from "comedian offering a skeptical look at liberals" to "this is all a game to him, he has nothing to lose no matter what" which is usually a big tell for grifters.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Jamie Faith posted:

that one guy whos name escapes me who said that old congresswoman assaulted him. (Tracy something?)

you're thinking of michael tracey, a guy who seemingly edges closer every day to being some kind of full-blown red/brown alliance freak

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I will give Dore credit for spitting on Alex Jones, though. Best thing he has ever done.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Was Sam Seder Ex-TYT? He seems alright.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Was Sam Seder Ex-TYT? He seems alright.

The Majority Report guy? He's been around from a long time. Like...Since Air America At least.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss Michael Brooks more and more each day.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So on the slight subject of Nostalgia Critic

Was... Doug always this... mean spirited?

Because some of these jokes in To Boldly Flee is just flat out physical jokes of the respective reviewers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I miss Michael Brooks more and more each day.

It really sucks that the best left YouTube guy died while all the lovely ones and all the reactionaries just chug along.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

MechaX posted:

Because some of these jokes in To Boldly Flee is just flat out physical jokes of the respective reviewers

Performative cruelty was just kinda the norm back then in the reviewerverse. It was somewhat common for people to joke about killing game designers' families because they made a bad game or whatever. People can still be pretty cruel now but we've certainly come a long way since then.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

MechaX posted:

Mean spirited humor was a big part of the internet at the time. Part of it was the idea that no one was actually that mean and only an rear end in a top hat would ever say those things, so you were laughing at the person being mean rather than along with them.

But, well... we've been forced to confront that 1: lots of people were and are that mean and all you were doing writing this stuff was lionizing them or them using a cover to say awful things they actually believed and 2: that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, turns out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mean spirited internet jokes never really went away, have I ever told you guys about Twitter?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also, Doug didn't give a single poo poo about basically anyone else on the site so it wasn't like he was gonna be able to pull a really sick Fat Grandma joke out of his rear end or w/e. Much easier to extrapolate jokes from the most surface level crap possible.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Mean spirited internet jokes never really went away, have I ever told you guys about Twitter?

Yeah, that's... fair, and I guess more of a reason why I've distanced myself from the idea that mean jokes are funny, cause I've watched that poo poo happen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Performative cruelty was just kinda the norm back then in the reviewerverse. It was somewhat common for people to joke about killing game designers' families because they made a bad game or whatever. People can still be pretty cruel now but we've certainly come a long way since then.

Part of it is Rolfe's legacy I think, even if it does feel like AVGN is definitely a character as opposed to Doug and the Critic who are in fact the same thing. It's not like the other CA people were allowed to object, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This Achewood feels like the spirit of the age as much as anything I’ve seen.