Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Huh. I was dipping into the dlc quests with an endgame save. Didn’t realize Anna on the Run is just Radiant Dawn’s 2-E. Very silly.

Oh. Huh. It changes? That’s a little annoying.

Never mind! I am a fool. Vanguard Dawn is 2-E, AotR is some dumb gimmick map.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Vanguard Dawn rules, but it's much harder than Radiant Dawn.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Anna on the Run is Paralogue 4 from Awakening yeah. Anna herself is actually hilariously broken because you can recruit her immediately and then give her the free Witch's Mark for a 20 Mag level 10 unit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Walla posted:

Vanguard Dawn rules, but it's much harder than Radiant Dawn.

Rip Canto and singing for multiple units. Gone but not forgotten.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Okay I guess I'm forging a Steel Bow today. This one only has a single point of might over the double forged Iron Bow, but it's still an improvement!

All this time I believed the shopping discount was like 50% or at least 30% or so, but I looked it up and it's actually a whopping... 5%. I have no idea how I never noticed that before. So all I would save from buying this Brave Axe when it's on sale is a measly 400 gold. Now I regret some of the impulse purchases I made on discount goods...

Sophie meets her family, Xander gets the final A support with Laslow, and Leo gets a C support with Azura.

Now I can finally do this! The decrease in his already low res is very unfortunate, but otherwise this is a big improvement for Xander. The speed boost will make it a lot easier for him to double with support, and the skill boost should come in handy when he unlocks Sol. This'll most likely be Xander's final class.

I must do this while I remember, I forgot to last chapter. The mages in Takumi's chapter aren't very threatening, but there are a lot of mixed attackers mixed in with powerful physical attacks so you do want your physical tanks to have good resistance too.

It's true Mozu, you have not! I'm not entirely sure who "fans of Nohrian food" applies to, but I assume it's like 95% of my army. Maybe I'll check?

Nina... isn't a fan? Weird. Maybe she doesn't count because she's a second gen unit, even if she is the child of a Nohrian. I guess her mum is from Hoshido and she grew up in a deeprealm...

...and yet Shigure is one. Azura was originally a Nohrian princess and his father is a Nohrian, so it makes sense...?

Okay Silas isn't one? Maybe it's because he's available on all three routes. Maybe it's Nohr exclusive units... and also Shigure.

Okay nope I have no idea. Maybe it's just random. Maybe Shura moved to Nohr for the cuisine and Niles goes down to the local Hoshidan takeaway every night for dinner.

Here is everyone. I've decided I'll bite the bullet and do Takumi's chapter next... It's probably one of the most brutal chapters in all of Conquest. But it also doesn't have any staff users or ninjas so who's to say really?

Sophie
Cavalier (HS: Nohr Princess (Corrin), Mercenary (Silas))
A+ Support Partners: Velouria (Fighter), Soleil (Mercenary)
Personal Skill: Michievous (When unit initiates attack and successfully hits enemy, inflict defense -3 and remove enemy's clothing (really))
Growths (With Default Class) [Base]:
HP: 40% (50) [35]
STR: 40% (55) [35]
MAG: 27.5% (27.5) [10]
SKL: 47.5% (57.5) [55]
SPD: 47.5% (57.5) [50]
LCK: 40% (55) [35]
DEF: 30% (40) [25]
RES: 27.5% (32.5) [35]

Sophie is one of the many "basically their dad but faster and less bulky" type units. The "standard" Sophie is arguably worse than Silas, but an optimised one can be quite a bit better. This Sophie is not very optimised but at the same time is still pretty decent.

That's about it! Not much else to say. Her personal skill is pretty good, although in my case it's made completely redundant by Draconic Hex. I feel like mine would turn out well enough if I raised her but there's really not much room on my team. I don't know what her best class would be, but I imagine she works well enough in all the classes she inherits by default. Great Knight might make up for her poor defense if she's a bit too frail for your liking, Hero can inherit axe rank from GK if you Offspring Seal into one, Bow Knights are always good and worth having, and Paladin is a safe choice.

Sophie's one of the first children you can unlock in Conquest and her paralogue is rewarding in terms of items and captures even if you don't care about her, so it's worth doing. Effie's a great mother for her, she joins at the same time Silas does and is not a bad support partner for him. You'll get a very strong and fast Sophie with just about good enough mixed bulk (she can inherit defense + 2 from her mother) who joins very early, and can potentially replace an early promoted Silas if you want. Otherwise I guess you could pair Silas up with either Selena or Azura to make her a Sky Knight? Azura would give her better combat stats but Selena would help her physical bulk a bit.

I really wish there was more discussion online on what to do with Fates's second gen, there's like none. The people who tend to write massive screeds about which units are good and how to best use them tend not to do the optional child paralogues, so I don't have much to go off of.

My Rating: The Avel obsession is really offputting

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Confirming pretty much everything you said about Sophie from my own Conquest run. I had Effie!Sophie, and she was a monster from beginning to end, highest STR in the entire army at the end of the game. Joined early and consistently great.

I ended up marrying her to Forrest because stats that good deserve to be in the royal family.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sophie works out well on both routes, Birthright lacks Cavaliers (your options are Silas and a reclassed Jakob), so Sophie's nice for a mobility option there that isn't weak to arrows. That said, Birthright is easy so people focus more on her use in Conquest. There she faces competition because you get so many horses as is, but her growths are decent for a physical unit and she has a lot of physical routes she can go depending on her mom; heck, even if her mom doesn't give her anything good, Cavalier/Mercenary is a decent class set. Tack on that she has an actually good offensive Personal skill and she's probably one of the better kid units especially considering her dad's early join time and easy deployment.

Because Sophie's such a general physical unit, it's hard to decide her optimal options. Effie/Charlotte give her the best growths, and people tend to go Effie because you also get her early, she works well as a backpack for Silas, and she kinda fades midgame so it's easier just to use her as a mom early on and never touch her after that. She doesn't get anything good class wise, but that's fine. Charlotte is similar, since Sophie already has Hero, so the main things she can grab from it are the Fighter skills and Berserker if you really want an axe Sophie (and she can get axe rank from Great Knight).

Beruka or Camilla give her Wyvern, and she makes just as good a use of that class as you'd expect any physical unit would. Azura gives her Sky Knight and strong offensive growths and she makes solid use of that class... if you can suffer through getting Azura to S Rank a guy on a horse who's probably far ahead of her in any given battle. Selena also gives her Sky Knight and a more balanced stat spread; she'll be fast at least.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Sophie's one of the few kids I grab pretty much every playthrough, easy to unlock, easy map, and almost every Silas I've had ends up developing an allergy to spd gains so she tends to take over his slot around the mid-game when he falls off from that. Nthing Effie as a really good mom for her, I stick her and Silas together on most of my CQ runs to give her mobility/him some extra tankiness, and if Silas falls off stapling Effie to their daughter instead works out just as well.

I wonder if some of the lack of optimization talk for the second gen might be the lack of an end goal too. I know I initially spent a bunch of time spreadsheeting up pairing plans for this game and then lost my interest in incrementally refining those setups like I did in Awakening once it was apparent that we were definitely never going to get an equivalent to Awakening's assorted postgame challenge DLC/Apotheosis to pit such optimized kids against. Take away the need to care about squeezing as much postgame power out of every kid as possible and suddenly it's a lot easier to just shrug and settle for putting in the minimum effort of making sure physical/magical kids have matching moms.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think it’s really the mechanics working against the kids here. First off, unlike Awakening their base stats aren’t getting juiced nearly as much from the parents. So they’re not at a particular advantage. Having inheritance of skills is kind of neat I guess, but the advantage there is less pronounced due to the parents having time to play around with Heart Seals beforehand as well as the A+ or S rank class mixing if inclined.

Others have mentioned the lack of post game challenges to use kids on. Which means that the kids barely have any time to be used. And are usually restricted to the weapons of whatever classes they have on promotion unless you want to just force feed them Arms Scrolls. All to get more units that are just stat-par with your current units, but with basically no supports built. It feels like a lot of effort for nebulous gain honestly.

Even the early kids suffer from this. Like you can get a really good Sophie early on due to the very natural pairing of Effie or Mozu since the mothers are both low move units that work well with Silas. But any other mother and you start crippling her join time or stats. So there’s very little space for discussion of optimization, so it’s resultingly not very interesting to talk or think about in the slightest. It kind of shows in the children analyses here where it’s like, “this is good for them, I guess…”

Also the Deeprealms loving suck. How they suck has already been mentioned a lot. But them sucking this hard may also contribute to a lot of people just disengaging with them in all their aspects.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hoe does Xander losing a horse make him go faster

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Deeprealms are such a miserable concept since they make every parent an absolute piece of poo poo who ignores their kids. Azura somehow doesn't even take her own goddamn kid to Valla to explain what's going on with her, and with him. Azura sucks.

Kid mechanics have the most utility in Conquest since you've got such XP and item crunch, but it's difficult to make them ideal perfect like you might want without losing out on short-term benefit. IE, I've got Elise and Odin. I can pass down Vantage to Ophelia, no problem, he only needs level 10 in Samurai. But the best skill I could pass Ophelia as Elise, Trample, is from Malig Knight 15. I want to do her paralogue ASAP for Lightning, Horse Spirit, and Calamity Gate access, they're really powerful, so do I get those early, or do I make a shitwrecker Ophelia only for the lategame?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 5, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Most games make horses slower by default since horses are so broken. Cavs are at their weakest on the DS games because no canto and they're all still really good.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The horse was holding Xander back

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BrightWing posted:

The horse was holding Xander back

So you’re saying he was just horsing around?

:v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the later kids suffer a lot in Conquest because the very time crunch that could make them useful also makes them only useful for a handful of maps. Offspring Seals help offset this a lot, but that just makes them into a customizable late game pre-promote (ish); pretty good unit if someone's been lacking in growths, but you probably have a few units that pulled you through to that point already.

I think Ignatius suffers the worse out of the Conquest kids, actually. Siegbert will at least have his dad see more than enough fighting to recruit him. To see Ignatius you have to actively deploy Benny in multiple maps and have him see enough combat to get his support ranks up, and the result is another Knight when Benny and Keaton already do everything he already does and customization doesn't help him improve that much. You could just staple Benny to a high movement female unit like Camilla/Beruka/Peri I guess, but I don't think the reward really pays off much, in fact getting Benny Wyvern Rider is probably the cooler return.

Soleil also suffers from this to a small degree considering how late Laslow joins and how he has difficulty finding a niche to be deployed, but he has a fast support with Peri and Soleil is an alright enough offensive unit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ignatius also suffers from having one of the worst personal skills in the game. "When Ignatius is the lead unit in attack or guard stance, -2 damage taken. If unsupported, +2 damage taken." Sure, it's better to have a stance partner than not, but for a tank -- or if he sidepromotes to a flyer -- sometimes he might have to be on his own for a hot sec. Inviting extra free damage for not stapling a partner onto him is brutal.

My Soleil's doing real well as a Bow Knight with Nohrian Curse and Sol from her parents. She dealt with that horrible hallway in the upcoming Ryouma map without too much issue.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It's my (incredibly limited) understanding that the most min maxing thing you can do with the kids is try to jack up a stat cap of theirs hilariously high.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Walla posted:

Dwyer annoys Jakob and that rocks.
Yeah, you get it. I love Dwyer even if he's a bit lame. I'm also 100% going to replace Jakob with him, or at least use him alongside his dad.

Shiny777 posted:

Sophie's one of the few kids I grab pretty much every playthrough, easy to unlock, easy map, and almost every Silas I've had ends up developing an allergy to spd gains so she tends to take over his slot around the mid-game when he falls off from that. Nthing Effie as a really good mom for her, I stick her and Silas together on most of my CQ runs to give her mobility/him some extra tankiness, and if Silas falls off stapling Effie to their daughter instead works out just as well.

I wonder if some of the lack of optimization talk for the second gen might be the lack of an end goal too. I know I initially spent a bunch of time spreadsheeting up pairing plans for this game and then lost my interest in incrementally refining those setups like I did in Awakening once it was apparent that we were definitely never going to get an equivalent to Awakening's assorted postgame challenge DLC/Apotheosis to pit such optimized kids against. Take away the need to care about squeezing as much postgame power out of every kid as possible and suddenly it's a lot easier to just shrug and settle for putting in the minimum effort of making sure physical/magical kids have matching moms.
That's probably it. It's understandable, but tbh I never really found endgame optimisation all that interesting and I never saw any real point in using the Awakening kids in the main campaign either which is why I never really liked them and preferred Fates's way of handling things. I'd love to see the team behind Conquest make an Apotheosis style map but at the same time I really, really would not.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah the later kids suffer a lot in Conquest because the very time crunch that could make them useful also makes them only useful for a handful of maps. Offspring Seals help offset this a lot, but that just makes them into a customizable late game pre-promote (ish); pretty good unit if someone's been lacking in growths, but you probably have a few units that pulled you through to that point already.

I think Ignatius suffers the worse out of the Conquest kids, actually. Siegbert will at least have his dad see more than enough fighting to recruit him. To see Ignatius you have to actively deploy Benny in multiple maps and have him see enough combat to get his support ranks up, and the result is another Knight when Benny and Keaton already do everything he already does and customization doesn't help him improve that much. You could just staple Benny to a high movement female unit like Camilla/Beruka/Peri I guess, but I don't think the reward really pays off much, in fact getting Benny Wyvern Rider is probably the cooler return.

Soleil also suffers from this to a small degree considering how late Laslow joins and how he has difficulty finding a niche to be deployed, but he has a fast support with Peri and Soleil is an alright enough offensive unit.
I will forever be biased towards Ignatius since I married Benny on my first ever playthrough, but I do sadly agree he's not particularly good. He's a slightly watered down version of his dad with worse bulk and higher speed, but Benny is super minmaxed to do what he needs to while Ignatius still isn't likely to double anything.

Soleil's got a niche in her stupidly high strength base, she is at least a lot different from Laslow in being both stronger and faster while also less bulky. I don't have much experience with her but I figure she makes a great Bow Knight?

BrightWing posted:

It's my (incredibly limited) understanding that the most min maxing thing you can do with the kids is try to jack up a stat cap of theirs hilariously high.
That or make them incredibly low. Did you know it's possible to make a Kana who as an Oni Savage will have a skill cap of 9?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to actually do what we're supposed to be doing. The chapter before this one was "Sakura", the one after is "Hinoka", and then after that there's "Ryoma". Incidentally, every time you fight Takumi instead of hearing the Hoshidan royal battle theme, you hear the purple invader theme. What could it mean???

This all sounds really obvious when I type it out and yet it did totally go over my head when I first played this game.

Confirmation that nobody with a face died last chapter. Or at least, nobody with a unique face. I do really like the generic portraits in this game, I wouldn't mind having some people who look like them in my army.

Some Nohrians support Garon, some support us. I don't really know if this goes anywhere or not, besides providing a reason for why you have enemies to fight when you turn on Iago and Hans and why the country doesn't turn on you for killing Garon in the end.

It's a shame you don't ever get to see what non-royal Nohrians really think of the war. Garon and his lackies are cartoon villains who don't exactly contradict the whole "Nohrians are evil" thing the Hoshidans are constantly telling you, but you never see what the average Nohrian is like iirc. Or maybe you do in Birthright, it's been a while since I last saw the story...

Here it is, Takumi's Wall. It has a name but I forgot what it was. This is a gruelling seize chapter where you must cross a canyon and climb up a heavily defended fortress to reach Takumi and end the chapter. It is one of the most infamous chapters in the game...

It also has 0 time pressure and is significantly easier if you play it super safe. I'm not super keen on this chapter, it simultaneously feels too easy to turtle and too hard to allow much in the way of strategy. I can imagine this chapter being super fun to play if you're trying to get the lowest turn count possible, but if your objective is just "not die" then it's very long and very boring. Slip ups towards the end can lose you an hour of progress so fun and potentially risky strategies just don't seem worth it, although they are definitely possible.

It's "Possessed", the guy from the chapter title! Takumi is here and he sucks. I genuinely think he's one of if not the worst designed boss in the entire game. The combination of Vengeance, Rend Heaven, and a high crit rate mean he has a not insignificant chance of straight up deleting a unit from full HP. You have to defeat him to beat the chapter and as far as I'm aware he'll never attack you on his turn, instead choosing to fire his ballista, meaning you'll always be at risk of Vengeance.

There are ways around him at least. One time I used Duelist's Blow Swordmaster Corrin to reduce his hit to 0%, that was fun.

If you thought Oboro was bad the last time she showed up... Counter and Warding Blow don't even factor into her scariness here, the problem is that she has high stats, Luna, and a good crit rate. She is also surrounded by many strong allies to soften you up. The way you defeat Oboro is to dismantle the group around her with turtling or staves and then smack her on player phase without giving her a chance to hit you. She and Takumi are both the type of bosses you really want Divine Pulse for, except that is not a thing that exists.

Alternatively you can use pro stratz to rush past her, beat Takumi, and then seize on the same turn. I do not have pro strats.

Hinata himself isn't that bad. His stats are straight up worse than Oboro's in every way but HP and luck, and her pair-up partner boosts her luck above his anyway. Sol and Armoured Blow make him a bit hard to take out, and Countermagic is annoying, but it's not a big deal.

What is annoying is the group he hangs out with. He and the enemies surrounding him won't move until Takumi's in range to shoot you from afar, at which point they'll all rush you at once. There are multiple rally users mixed in and combined they put out an insane amount of damage. Thankfully you can go straight past them using your fliers if you so desire, they won't chase you if you fly over the canyon right past them.

Getting up on the wall is how you reach the boss (and treasure!) but there's some guys up there who don't want you to do that. Every single enemy will aggro as soon as you scale the stairs, but they'll un-aggro when you go back down... making them very easy to turtle.

Lunatic mode makes things trickier by blocking two of the stairs with Basaras. You can spend a use of the Entrap staff to move one of them away, or you can just play around them. My Xander's bulky enough that I won't need to do that.

Many ballistae are scattered around the map to annoy you slightly. They can't kill you and they don't deal much damage, but they will limit the usefulness of your fliers. The enemies are carefully positioned so you can't take them for yourself to fire at the enemy army.

It's him... It's Rallyman! Sir Walter Rally himself. He has a bunch of rallies. If you aggro him and his squad then a whole load of reinforcements will spawn, so be careful about doing that.

From here, and also Hinata's gate. Lots and lots of paired up Masters of Arms, all of which are holding multiple Hoshidan weapons that are effective against swords lances & axes. If you can spare the units you really should have people blocking these forts before approaching Rallyman.

And lastly there's these two groups right next to where you start. Aggroing them will also spawn reinforcments from the forts, so try to take out as many of them as possible on the turn you aggro them to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed.

We get to bring everyone!!! Everyone but Kaze and Laslow, who could be useful for pair-up bonses I guess.

There really is no time pressure here, so you can spend multiple turns organising your army and figuring out how to do things before aggroing each group of enemies. You can just deploy everyone wherever and then spend like 10 turns arranging them before engaging a single enemy.

I'm no coward, Takumi! Now to slowly lure out your army one by one over the course of like 50 turns.

I want to wipe out both groups of enemies on the turn they aggro, which means I need two 1-2 ranged units to take the top and the bottom. The red range marks the ballista which will be slightly annoying but otherwise inconsequential, at least to my tanky frontliners.

There's like 5 enemies with rally in this chapter that you'll have to watch rally at the end of every single turn. You could capture a whole army of rallymen here.

I want Ophelia to take the bottom path, but this guy's got to die if she's going to survive it. There's a single spot she can take him out from a distance without being in range of the Snipers...

There's going to be a lot of Azura levels while I shuffle my team around to optimise rallies and positioning...

Here we go. Ophelia's under the influence of Azura's Inspiring Song and every rally I have, she'll just about be able to tank this squad.

Xander takes the top. He deliberately did not get his defense rallied because otherwise he'd be too bulky to be targetted. Incidentally, every single one of these Snipers has Counter...

One jerk has a Dual Yumi to mess with things, but otherwise Xander tanks everything fine. These Snipers all have Lunge but the only one to survive couldn't lunge him anywhere dangerous.

These guys are a bit more dangerous. The one guy with Rally Strength chose to attack Ophelia instead of rallying, making all the others a little weaker. I went with Calamity Gate over the Horse Spirit since in this case WTA trumps the extra defense in terms of damage reduction.

These four reinforcements are way less dangerous thanks to most of the enemies I aggroed now being dead. I'll just let them come to me so I can pick them off with units who want the EXP.

Ophelia is near unstoppable now. 30 is her "standard" speed cap, but Nyx as her mum pushes it a little higher.

There's no big danger in attacking a guy with Counter if the damage won't kill you, but somehow it just feels wrong to me, like I'm going to somehow mess up my calculations and take 5 times more damage than I'm supposed to. I think I'm too used to this stupid skill killing me in Awakening.

Seems like Shigure's one good level might have been a fluke. It's okay, all he needs to do is rally!

Basaras are mixed attackers but the magic of these enemy ones isn't particularly threatning. Enough to frighten Xander maybe, but low enough that Ophelia is capable of taking no damage from them at all with the right weapon.

First group taken care of! Now for Hinata and his buddies. This one guy has a Swordcatcher, but in my expeirence they don't threaten Xander much. Nobody in this group has any magical attacks so you can muscle through them with sheer physical defense.

Jakob
a
k
o
b

...some people put all their stat growths at the bottom of each update. I prefer showing them all off as they happen, but Jakob and Azura's really don't matter at all anymore.

Hinata's on a gate that improves his defenses, but he'll gladly walk off of it to fight you so there's no need to worry about it. As you can see he does not threaten Xander much.

Neither does this guy, but he seems like a good target to build dual guard gauge against. Although in retrospect I should have focused on taking out someone who could potentially be dangerous instead of this literally harmless unit.

Ohhhh I may have forgotten that these things hurt when they're not being used by generic Villagers. That's a decent amount of damage, and Xander's going to be slapped with sealed defense at the end of combat...

Thankfully he's learned the number one lesson of Conquest: they can't seal your stats if they're dead. It's pretty lucky that he hit both of these hits, I could have been in trouble otherwise!

Yeah this is my bad for not paying attention. I don't think using Xander was the wrong choice, I just should have put more thought into who I had him attack when he rushed in to aggro the squad. At least he survived!

Now to fall back and watch them all reset their positions. They'd be more threatening if they all came straight at me instead, but I'm not complaining.

Aw yeah. I almost wish I had some Talismans saved for him.

Then I just threw Xander at them until they were softened up enough to clean up with the rest of my squad. Hinata hasn't "retreated" here, he's straight up dead. Oops?

These Snipers are all midly infuriating. Counter means I can't attack them up close, but they have a nonzero crit rate against most units who attack them at range. I don't need to feed more EXP to Ophelia but it's usually the safest thing to do!

Ow. Takumi totally saw what I did to his friend from up there and now he's mad.

My less useful units will occupy these forts while I go engage Rallyman and clean up the lower level of this map. An absurd amount of tough enemies will emerge from these forts on the turn he moves.

This one Life And Death Basara makes approaching this part of the map tricky. I don't entirely know what causes the enemies surrounding the ballistae to move, but they don't tend to like moving so I'll have to come to them.

Thankfully that one guy is the only real threat so a bum rush isn't too hard to pull off.

He also has paper thin defenses so he's easy to one-shot with a little help. I'd entirely forgotten Elise learned this skill last chapter.

He's on his way! And whoops, I forgot the forts weren't the only place that reinforcements could come from... I don't think this is too bad, 4 enemies isn't too hard a thing to deal with.

I'll bust through the units approaching from the right first to stop my army from getting trapped between the two groups. Rallyman and his posse aren't so scary when they come to you.

Seems like the reinforcements are chasing after the units I left on the forts. That's not so bad, they can run away and my fliers can ferry my better units over the canyon from the top.

Oh, the Snipers are going the other way? This is perfect, if there's no bow users at the bottom then I can send my fliers over risk free.

That's her speed capped! Ophelia is absolutely popping off, drat. Even her bulk is weirdly good.

I love a clean dual strike kill. Nina's definitely going to cap something soon.

Azura gets another level and Camilla fully embraces her new class and learns Rally Defense. Her skill doesn't look nearly as bad now she's no longer a Malig Knight.

Now for this absolute nightmare. Getting through this gauntlet will be a long process of going up and down the stairs to slowly thin out their numbers. Oboro's group all the way on the left is the real danger here, Xander could tank the group on the right without too much issue.

Unofortunately these three Spear Masters have Lunge, and they will drag anyone who doesn't kill them right into Oboro's hateful embrace.

Best course of action is to pile every rally I have onto this man. These are absolutlely some Awakening endgame looking stats, but I would still feel safer if Xander had Sol.

Thankfully this guy won't even try to lunge Xander if he can't hurt him. He'll have this place cleaned up in no time, and then all my army can gang up on Oboro's squad.

Oh I guess this one jerk can hurt Xander. And he's positioned himself on the stairs for extra avoid... Why didn't I leave Xander there?

THEY CAN'T LUNGE YOU

IF THEY'RE DEAD

Yeah every jerk's going to stick themselves on the stais I left wide open now. Oops.

Peri's putting in a lot of work as Xander's support partner. Good job Peri.

That went better than it could have. Let's get out of here and wait for Oboro to retreat before I make my third stupid Xander mistake of the chapter.

The stairs are free now so I could sneak in at the back to get rid of the Snipers. Still need to wait for Oboro to retreat though.

Just a slow hit and run process of thinning out enemies and then running away. It's not the most impressive or fun strategy but it's what is safest and I don't want to replay the first half of the map again.

My other units can join in with Operation Cowardice once the enemies are thinned out a little more. I am absolutely going to give the next Speedwings I get to Corrin.

Silas skillfully dodges defense once again. I'm seriously worried about his tanking potential now... Maybe he can have the Dragon Herbs?

Okay that took many boring turns but now I am ready to fight the enemy head on. Everyone is here!

She's not so bad if you don't give her a chance to hit you. Oboro is the Cordelia of this game but unlike her she can at least marry the object of her affections if you want her to.

Elise got more skill as a Berserker than she did HP. Weird. But now she doesn't have to be one anymore!

Rallyman is dead, I have created my own to replace him. This version can fly.

Just Takumi left now. He's got a room to himself full of strong units, one of which has Lunge and Seal Defense. I don't actually think Takumi will ever choose to attack instead of shooting his ballista, but I could be wrong.

This isn't even threatening, it's just annoying!

I'll leave Xander here to soften up the enemies. If Takumi attacks, great! If he doesn't then I'll gang up on him once there's no-one else left.

Yeah I think he'd rather just shoot people from afar.

Xander has never missed a ORKO on a Spearmaster with lunge this entire map. I'm just taking it for granted at this point.

Also he's super overleveled now. Strong Riposte will help him take out lunge guys even more!

Vegeance is scary, but guess what?

You can't get revenge if you're dead.

Even managed to take him out with a Vengeance crit of my own. Byeeee!

OH GOD I almost forgot the chests!!!! Gimme gimme gimme

Give me money, give me Boots. Whoever owned these boots won't even be able to afford a replacement pair now.

Well that was long. And dumb. A couple of Xander mishaps aside, I think I played this chapter too safe to be interesting. The next chapter will be a lot harder to turtle.

If the game had Divine Pulse I'd be willing to waste a few uses on seeing if I could defeat Oboro more aggressively. She's hard to lure since Luna & high crit rate can potentially equal a OHKO that nobody could survive, but I'm sure there must be some way to do it safely. Maybe if I had sent in both Xander and Ophelia on turn 1 to take her and one other unit out on player phase at the same time?

Takumi glowed purple and then fell backwards to his death. Boy am I glad that's the last we'll see of him! Let's not look for the body, it's probably really gross.

Boots instantly go to Corrin in Conquest, no question about it. My obsessive statbooster hoarding hates using the boots most of all but I know for a fact she wants them more than anyone else, getting Corrin to the boss of Endgame as fast as possible is the only way to beat it and she may as well make use of that extra movement starting from now.

Next time: Jakob gets replaced

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

midnight lasagna posted:

Soleil's got a niche in her stupidly high strength base, she is at least a lot different from Laslow in being both stronger and faster while also less bulky. I don't have much experience with her but I figure she makes a great Bow Knight?

Yeah, Soleil is a notable kid in that her growth rate is wildly different from her dad (unlike most kids that are just I'm you, but slightly stronger/faster and less bulky or the inverse). She has a 60% growth base without any modifiers. Berserker Charlotte!Soleil has 82.5% Str growth and a not too shabby 50% Skill and 57.5% Spd growth. Has a +5 Str cap, too. The make or break for Soleil is usually giving her a mom who can patch up her Speed enough.

You can actually make her a really weird Basara on Revelations by giving her Orochi as a mom and abusing Rend Heaven with either lances or scrolls thanks to her strong Skill growth inheritance. It's probably not worth it though, especially since she ends up with a very shaky 35% Spd growth and there are better mixed Basaras out there if you want to build them like Rhajat or Shiro. Heck, even the weird novelty Basara Nyx!Nina would be better for the job.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like how they’re going to have a Hoshidan do something probably scummy but the only way they’re allowed to be evil enough is to be possessed.

The oh so perfect Japan.

It still sadly makes Takumi the most interesting Royal due to actually having a character arc

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't think anyone will be allowed to out scummy Garon.

Geddit? Because he's a slime monster!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You’ll remember that in iirc chapter 9, Ryouma denies a child life saving medicine. and will later entrap Corrin in a big cube for honorable one on one combat that requires the death of his loyal retainers to break.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

By default these statues only increase the caps of the character they're named after, but with expensive upgrades they can upgrade the caps of their C or higher support partners and then finally the entire army. I don't generally bother - the upgrades are expensive unlike the initial purchase which is free. I could maybe spend some DVP upgrading important caps like speed but I'm saving it to recruit Flora and Izana just so I can show them off later.

Niles is being useful! And so's Mozu, by way of being so low leveled that the enemies she fights have barely any HP and can be one-shot by Niles. There's an accessory Mozu can wear to always be picked in the Arena that's worth investing in.

Time to make Elise a dragon again. She's capped speed now! It's possible she may also cap res but otherwise I imagine her growths are going to fall off massively now her big three stats can't go any higher.

Supports for the royal siblings! B for Azura / Elise, C for the other two. I wonder how many of these I can get.

These two get married and can now enjoy a nice honeymoon on the bench. I feel as if I have failed Leo somehow but no, it is he who has failed me.

Time to recruit another child soldier. Dwyer's paralogue might be the easiest of them all, even if you don't cheese it in such a way that you beat the boss and end the map on the first turn.

This is... kind of a defend chapter? Dwyer is at the top of the map under seige by various enemies. He has a few NPC bodyguards to protect him, but they'll get overwhelmed fairly quickly. You'll need to rush to them as quick as possible if you want to keep them all alive (or all but one alive) if you want the full reward.

The actual objective of the map is Defeat Boss though. As you might be able to tell from the minimap, said boss is very close to your starting position! An easy solution presents itself... Or at least it might, if you're not greedily squeezing out every last drop of EXP like I am.

Dwyer himself is a Troubadour and can only heal. He's got quite an arsenal here - Physic and the Sun Festal are both path-specific. Physic is buyable in CQ but always nice, the Sun Festal is a Hoshidan Mend staff equivalent that has 1-2 range in exchange for healing slightly less. Both of these staves are quite valuable and not letting Dwyer waste them before you can recruit him is a good incentive to hurry. Do this paralogue early enough and Dwyer won't have the staff rank to use Physic, which might matter if you really want all the staff uses you cna get.

His servants are bulky enough to survive the first enemy that comes for them, but they'll die shortly after without your help. They scale with the enemies and all have the same stats as each other. Incidentally they're all Generals (a Nohrian unit), while all the purple guys are Hoshidan units...

The boss is nothing special. There are two ways to kill him fast - open the door with Locktouch and rush him, or leave a unit in range of him and he'll rush to attack them over the fence. This chapter is easy even without doing this, but it is an option if you want. If you rush Jakob's S support really early in the story you might find yourself struggling against the promoted enemies so I guess it could be worth it then...

Leo and Felicia are off looking after their son, or so I'd like to pretend. They're benched for good unless I have spare deployment slots.

"Stay close" as in within one tile, please! Don't make Dwyer use his Physic staff.

Jakob he literally cannot use weapons. You raised this boy!!! (allegedly)

Camilla lets Jakob carpool on her wyvern to pick up his son from school, everyone else is going to engage the enemies nearby.

I could open this door turn 1, but I think I'll leave it closed to lure the Ninjas instead. Nina with Elise support and rallies will be fine on her own.

Or maybe she'll miss a 94% instead : /. This isn't the end of the world but it does mean only one enemy gets lured this turn.

The initial Swordmaster is just there to uselessly throw himself against the Generals, but subsequent enemies will be much deadlier. Dwyer's bodyguards won't hesitate to get themselves killed by attacking on their own turn as well...

Noooo Dwyer those staves are for named units! Not for "Other"s.

It occurs to me that Nina is my only unit capable of opening doors now. Silas doesn't have room in his skillset for Locktouch and Niles has been benched...

Doubling lategame Master Ninjas is basically impossible without stacking stats sky-high through pair-ups and various buffs. You'll have to gang up on them or use brave weapons instead.

The scary attack range of these Snipers separates my army from Dwyer. I don't know when they aggro, but when they do they'll shred his bodyguards.

Dwyer has about as much respect for his dad as his dad does for him. You don't need to recruit him here to get him but you may as well.

Dwyer's strength is naturally higher than his magic and he's very obviously meant to go Butler, but he doesn't make a bad Strategist either. I'd rather go Butler though, although to be honest I'm not convinced it's optimal.

His stats aren't spectacular but healers don't need great stats. He'll do better than Felicia and Jakob and that's what matters right now, although I might just run him alongside his father anyway.

Xander's level is too high and he earns like no EXP per kill, he's on Elise babysitting duty now. I do want to see their supports as well.

The Spear Masters are on the move and they will spell doom for the bodyguards. This guy has a capped stat! I can easily gang up on them with my army as it is now, but they are quite hard to take down if you try this paralogue early.

He's no match for a capped stats Elise with Axefaire though.

Now to fly around the left hand side and take out all the other enemies. The Bolt Axe is clearly her best weapon but I want her to gain tome EXP too.

Wow, and I was worried I'd start seeing nothing but blank levels from now on. Go Elise! With Trample now in her arsenal she'll do 10 more damage than normal to unmounted enemies when using the Bolt Axe...

These Snipers refuse to aggro as a group for some reason. I want to reach the boss but this guy is in the way!!!

Even with crit avoid reducing weapons it can be really hard to get enemies down to 0 crit sometimes. I'm not a fan of how much Fates nerfed luck's ability to reduce crit.

Azura you've already passed on your stats to your kids, why are you getting these levels now?

Foreign Princess works like an anti-Inspiration, but only on enemies you fight in multiplayer castle battles. Despite the confusing description it does not work on anybody else. It's not very useful.

That's Nina's strength capped. Niles has a strength cap modifier of -2, but child units get +1 to all caps so Nina's is effectively -1. Did you know that no unit who can only use magic in their base class has a negative strength modifier in this game? And that the worst negative magic modifiers (-3 and -2) belong to Azama and Jakob, two units who can use magic? The sum of positive and negative modifiers is equal for all units in this game, so I guess they didn't want units minmaxing their modifiers by putting their worst ones in stats they don't use.

Completely unrelated to anything, this game for some reason applies gravity to your unit's hair in battle so Peri's twintails flop up and down as she rides her wyvern. It is weirdly entrancing.

I keep waiting for these enemies to aggro but they won't. I guess I'll just have to walk allll the way over there...

Camilla is a physical unit now. She gains physical stats.

Lunge is a great skill but god help me I am too dumb to use it. Now even the weapon triangle cowers before Camilla!

Can't believe I have to move my units all the way over to the boss. This is an outrage.

Aw yeah! Nina won't equip this skill right now, but I will be using it in Chapter 25 to delete some problematic enemies. Unfortunately you cannot choose when and when not to expend a gold bar to use it so if any are in your inventory when you have the skill equipped they'll disappear rapidly.

splat

There are no swords next chapter I think so Peri doesn't need this just yet. Maybe I should swap Lunge back onto Camilla too?

Could have easily been one turn if I wanted. But EXP is nice.

Dwyer backhands a Master Ninja and instantly kills it, a technique I really wish he could use in battle. This line was just a generic "take this" in the original Japanese, slappyface was flair added in the localisation. I assume people have very strong opinions on this because I probably wouldn't know it otherwise.

Oh and I got this and a Partner Seal for keeping the guys alive. Xander may have it. Normally giving defensive boosters to units with almost nothing in that stat is a bit wasteful, but Xander's HP is high enough to let him tank a few magical units and make use of it.

Stats.

Next time: Dragon Herbs

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Bogart posted:

You’ll remember that in iirc chapter 9, Ryouma denies a child life saving medicine. and will later entrap Corrin in a big cube for honorable one on one combat that requires the death of his loyal retainers to break.

Ryoma also offers to dump the entirety of Hoshido's coffers in Shura's lap for information, immediately after learning he had no idea that Nohr was suffering from Silas, but offers no solution to him.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
This Ryoma fella seems like a bit of a poo poo, to me

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So Foreign Princess can't be passed down? It's a useless skill just like Dwyer's personal, but he makes a good replacement for Jakob.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Walla posted:

So Foreign Princess can't be passed down? It's a useless skill just like Dwyer's personal, but he makes a good replacement for Jakob.

By "it does not work on anybody else" midnight lasagna meant that the skill does not work on any enemies other than those in My Castle battles; it can still be passed down as normal. The skill's description mentions "Foreign Army" units, which sounds like it might mean whichever of Hoshido or Nohr you didn't choose, and would be infinitely more useful than what it actually does.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No, I mean can Foreign Princess not be passed down? Because Dwyer should have inherited it but didn't.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ajkalan posted:

By "it does not work on anybody else" midnight lasagna meant that the skill does not work on any enemies other than those in My Castle battles; it can still be passed down as normal. The skill's description mentions "Foreign Army" units, which sounds like it might mean whichever of Hoshido or Nohr you didn't choose, and would be infinitely more useful than what it actually does.

The wording actually made me think of Valla, but a buff exclusively in the funsies online battles that don't kill anyone is even dumber than that.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Walla posted:

No, I mean can Foreign Princess not be passed down? Because Dwyer should have inherited it but didn't.

Azura seems to have learned that skill during the paralogue, and Dwyer's skills were set when the map started.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ajkalan posted:

Azura seems to have learned that skill during the paralogue, and Dwyer's skills were set when the map started.

That's not how skill inheritance works. If a parent learns a skill during a child's paralogue then the child learns that skill instead of the one intended.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Walla posted:

That's not how skill inheritance works. If a parent learns a skill during a child's paralogue then the child learns that skill instead of the one intended.

That depends on the child. Dwyer can join during the paralogue, so NPC Dwyer and Player Dwyer are the same entity. A unit like Nina or Percy who needs to be defeated will be re-generated after they join.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Does an enemy Oboro's personal skill activate against you or does her +4 damage to Nohrians only work when she's under your control?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Does an enemy Oboro's personal skill activate against you or does her +4 damage to Nohrians only work when she's under your control?

I looked it up since I wasn't sure myself. I'm still not 100% sure if it works when she's an enemy herself, but what I did find out is that apparently it only works on units with a Norhian base class. Not their current class, but their default one. So Kaze would not take extra damage because his base class is Ninja, but Silas would take extra damage even if he reclassed into a Ninja himself. What's funny about this is that Shura, a Hoshidan, would take extra damage because his base class is Adventurer. It also doesn't work against enemies you find in challenges (the optional grinding maps in BR and Rev) because they aren't considered to have a base class for some reason.

The wording on the wiki seems to suggest that yes it does work on your own units when she's an enemy, but I don't have numbers to prove it and the wiki has been wrong before.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Unfortunately you didn't grab a screenshot of Oboro attacking someone or we could check the numbers.

I would imagine her personal activates as an enemy since everyone else's does. I know for a fact Hinata's works because I've been burned by it too many times in Chapter 10.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Selena is really not doing well in the Arena. I know her losses so have been partly down to bad luck, but there must be something about her base stats that generate more unfavourable opponents for her compared to what other units face. Maybe her bulk's too good compared to her attack power?

Dwyer can have some new staves and weapons now he's in the squad. I feel as if 3 staff users at one time is ideal for Conquest's lategame chapters, so until I pick up Forrest I might end up running Jakob, Felicia, and Dwyer all at the same time. I might even reclass Shigure back from Wyvern Lord.

A support for Ophelia and Seigbert, C for the other two. Nina is the only way FCorrin can become an Outlaw if she doesn't pick it as her talent or marry Niles... It's not a terrible class for her to pick up, Movement + 1 is very helpful.

Also Dwyer meets his family. It seems pointlessly cruel to have raised the two brothers apart, but I guess Azura wanted to make sure they were separated to make it more likely they'd survive an attack from Vallites? That's just me rationalising it, I don't think that's actually a stated reason. Although "pointlessly cruel" describes the entire Deeprealms shtick anyway.

I am not doing this but it is oddly appealing to see a unit with stats this balanced. Nina wouldn't make a bad Sorcerer... if I dumped all my Spirit Dusts into her and spent forever grinding her tome rank.

This is what I actually want to do. RIP some of her bulk, but now she's fast enough to double a lot more consistently. It's a shame she can't inherit Archer from Mozu to become a Kinshi Knight and retain her lance rank. I guess I could try to marry her to Shigure?

Sophie is managing the Forge today, which means a discount on swords. Time to cash in all my emeralds for sword materials and forge the large amount of swords I appear to have stockpiled for some reason.

Seems like I don't have a lot of sword users. Corrin doesn't need a forge because she's got the Yato, Silas is more of a knife guy, and Nina's only got an E rank. They'll still appreciate these forges though.

Oh yeah and I guess I should do this since I did just say there's no sword users in Chapter 24. I will be doing Midori's paralogue first but I'm not actually sure there's any in hers either, and if they are then they should be easily enough to beat regardless.

Dwyer
Troubadour (HS: Sky Knight (Azura), Cavalier (Jakob))
A+ Support Partners: Percy (Wyvern Rider)
Personal Skill: Born Steward (+20 Hit and Avoid, +2 damage dealt and -2 damage taken when fighting in My Castle)
Growths (With Default Class) [Base]:
HP: 35% (35) [45]
STR: 47.5% (47.5) [45]
MAG: 27.5% (37.5) [30]
SKL: 40% (60) [20]
SPD: 45% (55) [30]
LCK: 35% (50) [30]
DEF: 22.5% (22.5) [30]
RES: 35% (50) [35]

It's Dwyer! I'd call him Jakob's loser son but not turning out like Jakob makes him a big winner in my book. His over the top lethargic teenager voice acting is both very endearing and extremely grating.

In terms of pure stats Dwyer is superior to his dad in almost every single way, at least at base. He's got significantly less skill and luck, and slightly less speed and HP, but otherwise he's much stronger and more magical with a little extra bulk too. Having Azura as his mum has made mine stronger and faster at the cost of his physical defenses.

Unfortunately in practice Dwyer's lacking a lot of Jakob's strong points, such as his weird half-prepromote status and his amazing availability (if you're playing as a girl). As a staffbot he's likely to outstat his dad and more staffbots are always nice to have, but he's not exactly a gamechanging unit even with a good mum. His stats are better than his father's but are fairly bad as far as second gen units go. I always thought Brady from Awakening was one of the worst kids (postgame minmaxing aside), and Dwyer's kind of got the same problem, especially since you could easily slap Flora or Izana on your team if you've got DVP to spend and you want additional staff users. But even if he doesn't have Jakob's weird early promotion, he can still inherit level 15 promoted skills from his father to get them earlier than other units would.

Dwyer's meant to go Butler but he'll work fairly well as a Strategist, especially if his mum has halfway decent magic. I feel like Strategist is a more useful class in general thanks to its higher mobility, but the Flame Shuriken does hit harder than most tomes. He might work okay in some combat classes but his staff rank and the weapons of his promoted classes will make it difficult to find a class he can become that he won't be stuck with E rank weapons in.

If for some reason you want to do Fates PvP then Dwyer's personal skill is great, otherwise it's pretty awful. Invasions do exist and having better stats for them is handy, but it's unlikely that the combat stats of your staffbot will make much a difference in their difficulty. I guess it would combo very well with Foreign Princess? Assuming it is possible to inherit that skill.

I'd be very welcome to hear alternate Dwyer opinions because I've mostly been very negative, even if he is one of the few child units I'll actually be using this run!

My Rating: This isn't my job...

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I marathoned this thread the past few days and I'm greatly enjoying it. Great LP op!

I know I'm late to the Nyx talk, but I ran her as an Adventurer in my last CQ playthrough and she was definitely... alright! She helped out during ch.10, and having an extra staff user to replace Wyvern!Elise was nice, but it didn't bring anything crazy.

I will say though, I ran Nyx!Ophelia that run too, and passing down Move +1 was a fun time, even if it wasn't groundbreaking.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Xander's sword is so ridiculously big and it always makes me laugh seeing him hold it when he's not on a horse. It's especially funny if you give him Marths class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think I've ever used Azura enough to get Foreign Princess, wow.

Anyway, Dwyer is a cool unit that would be great if it wasn't for his starting class. Get him early and he's just a kinda okay Butler who'd have to rebuild weapon ranks if you swap him out, get him late and what's the point, you already have enough healers and physical units.