Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
technically, LE still has more mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

I guess I should get SE while I can get it at 50% off then as I assume they will pull it on the 11th but I'll be irritated if AE is sold at a reasonable price. Bethesda has already increased the standard retail price of SE since the announcement apparently though and I can't imagine they'll pass up the opportunity to milk it one last time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

zhar posted:

I guess I should get SE while I can get it at 50% off then as I assume they will pull it on the 11th but I'll be irritated if AE is sold at a reasonable price. Bethesda has already increased the standard retail price of SE since the announcement apparently though and I can't imagine they'll pass up the opportunity to milk it one last time.

i kept putting it off cause it felt wrong to buy the same game twice, but i wasn't disappointed in the end.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

technically, LE still has more mods

But they're generally pretty easy to convert, if LE has something SE doesn't.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

But they're generally pretty easy to convert, if LE has something SE doesn't.

Most of the simpler LE mods will drop right into SE without much trouble. There's a minor complication in file structure which is alleviated by opening the plugin in the SE CK and then saving it (literally that's all that you need to do, open it, save it in the SE CK, and exit), and even that's not 100% mandatory if the mod is simple enough. Some of the more complex mods either have better alternatives in SE, or have straight ports.

SE, meanwhile, is native 64-bit, meaning you can toss just about as much memory-hoarding bullshit in there as you like (which was a real concern in LE, because it's 32-bit native and can thus easily hit that 4GB memory address limit), plus it's generally just much more stable and reliable as a baseline. On top of THAT, it includes support for things like ESL plugins, which are a loving godsend for things like patches and smaller mods, because they don't technically count towards your plugin limit.

Generally SE is the preferred option today, both for stability and the extra features that it adds. LE is more for anyone who can't run SE for some reason, or just doesn't want to out of personal choice.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

zhar posted:

Where are you seeing it at 50% off? The UK Steam store is not discounted, is it in the US?

I’m tempted to do the same myself - what I’m thinking I might do is pick it up nearer release date and not play it, so I can return it within the window (assuming they have the “less than 2 hours playtime” rule for this) if there is a good price for AE.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

isthereanydeal is reporting a ~50% discount on GamesPlanet right now.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Red Oktober posted:

Where are you seeing it at 50% off? The UK Steam store is not discounted, is it in the US?

I’m tempted to do the same myself - what I’m thinking I might do is pick it up nearer release date and not play it, so I can return it within the window (assuming they have the “less than 2 hours playtime” rule for this) if there is a good price for AE.

I was looking at the gamesplanet one as mentioned above (only 1 day left on the flash sale). Obviously steam wouldn't refund it but they do seem to have a return policy. Hopefully finding someone to send the old exe and slotting in place would work when all the mods break but I don't know if that's how it works.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know much but, if Anniversary Edition modifies visual studio, affecting SKSE mods but not simple ones... does that mean that the console versions of skyrim should just update with the existing mods just fine? I only have a few QoL changes (like sprint stamina comsumption, rich merchants and so) on PS4.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Most of the simpler LE mods will drop right into SE without much trouble. There's a minor complication in file structure which is alleviated by opening the plugin in the SE CK and then saving it (literally that's all that you need to do, open it, save it in the SE CK, and exit)

Almost correct. You need to change something, anything in the mod, and then change it back, then save it. Otherwise the SE CK won't resave the mod in the new format.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Almost correct. You need to change something, anything in the mod, and then change it back, then save it. Otherwise the SE CK won't resave the mod in the new format.

This is not true. You launch the CK, set the mod you want to convert to active, let it load, save, done. I've never had to change anything just to get the CK to save and overwrite Form 43 with 44.

Edit: Yes, I know that most guides/posts about Oldrim to SSE conversions mention that you should change and undo something before it gets saved to the new format but if that ever was a thing it's no longer required as the CK will save no matter what.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 31, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I always just change charus "egg sacs" into "egg sax" :shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I don't know much but, if Anniversary Edition modifies visual studio, affecting SKSE mods but not simple ones... does that mean that the console versions of skyrim should just update with the existing mods just fine? I only have a few QoL changes (like sprint stamina comsumption, rich merchants and so) on PS4.
It's possible the upcoming patch, or the lovely Creation Club stuff, introduces some changes that conflicts with your mods. But that's the kind of stuff that can be relatively easily and quickly be fixed.

Most likely you'll be fine.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sensenmann posted:

This is not true. You launch the CK, set the mod you want to convert to active, let it load, save, done. I've never had to change anything just to get the CK to save and overwrite Form 43 with 44.

Edit: Yes, I know that most guides/posts about Oldrim to SSE conversions mention that you should change and undo something before it gets saved to the new format but if that ever was a thing it's no longer required as the CK will save no matter what.

Anyone who uses the CK to resave plugins should install CreationKit Fixes and disable some things in the skyrim64_test.ini like autoexport facegen meshes and textures
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20061

it also adds a text field to search plugins when loading

otherwise xEdit is the way to go for any kind of plugin editing because the CK is ancient and sucks

CAO is better for catch all texture/mesh optimizing
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23316

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 31, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
what's the best place for a burner email? You now have to sign in to vector plexus to use wabbajack and I dumbly clicked the "sign in with google" button and the built in browser in wabbajack isn't secure enough for google sign in.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

what's the best place for a burner email? You now have to sign in to vector plexus to use wabbajack and I dumbly clicked the "sign in with google" button and the built in browser in wabbajack isn't secure enough for google sign in.

Microsoft Outlook emails? Yahoo ones might work still.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guillermus posted:

Microsoft Outlook emails? Yahoo ones might work still.

Yahoo worked, didn't even have to tie it to an existing email and just saved it to my password manager so I don't even have to remember.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Google "temporary email" and you'll find a bunch of sites that'll instantly generate a disposable email address for you

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AE will be $50. Upgrade from SE is $20.

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/5esC91g2ABY1jQ97uq39zW/skyrim-anniversary-edition-faq

Burns
May 10, 2008

So its 20 bucks for whats basically a mod pack. Nice. I have still no knowledge of actual tangible improvements to the core game.

zhar
May 3, 2019

what is up with this currency conversion

quote:

The MSRP for the Skyrim Anniversary Edition on digital storefronts will be USD $49.99/EUR €54.99/GBP £47.99/AUD $79.95/RUB 3399 at launch.

If you already own Skyrim Special Edition, the MSRP for the Anniversary Upgrade on digital storefronts will be USD $19.99/EUR €19.99/GBP £15.99/AUD $29.95/RUB 1429 at launch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So then it isn't an automatic upgrade or what

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so what it’s just a glorified bundle of already-existing creation club content that also breaks all of your mods? lol

zhar
May 3, 2019

KakerMix posted:

So then it isn't an automatic upgrade or what

its confusing but i think there still will be an auto pc update with the new compiler that no one wants and the 4 pieces of creation club content

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Guys you can fish ok

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If it has to be purchased am I safe leaving everything in Steam alone right now or should I go in there and make sure auto-patching disabled and all that assorted stuff? I have no interest in buying AE, but also don't have a current game going and no immediate plans to start one in the near future.

e;fb: answered above.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Hold on, I'm slow/stupid and trying to figure this out and this is what I have
-On 11/11/2021, there will be an update for Skyrim SE (all versions) that adds the behind the scenes changes, as well as fishing/the farm/the Hearthfire Aquarium stuff
-It also adds Saints and Seducers for free
-If you have SE, you can upgrade it to the full AE for... whatever and that also gives you the rest of the CC stuff. Otherwise you buy it for normal retail price.
-It doesn't do anything to better incorporate the CC stuff, so if you start a new file you will get like 50+ quests added to your Journal the moment you escape Helgen

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Hold on, I'm slow/stupid and trying to figure this out and this is what I have
-On 11/11/2021, there will be an update for Skyrim SE (all versions) that adds the behind the scenes changes, as well as fishing/the farm/the Hearthfire Aquarium stuff
-It also adds Saints and Seducers for free
-If you have SE, you can upgrade it to the full AE for... whatever and that also gives you the rest of the CC stuff. Otherwise you buy it for normal retail price.
-It doesn't do anything to better incorporate the CC stuff, so if you start a new file you will get like 50+ quests added to your Journal the moment you escape Helgen

I thought I read that the last point isn't true. I think they said they will space them out.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

That would make AE slightly more attractive (not enough for me to get it lol), I was getting flashbacks to starting a new Oblivion game and suddenly being told I have inherited a Mage's Tower and a giant Castle the moment I got out of jail.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Of course now that I look for it I can't find that info. I hope it's spread out because getting all that poo poo it once is awful.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

finally, a way to play skyrim with additional content

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They have said that they won't all start automatically, but it was in a video.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

if you buy the AE upgrade, does SE download all the AE stuff as add-ons or are you buying an entirely separate game?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So I'm poking around with an attempt at a modified version of Lexy's, and I'm wondering about quest mods. I really haven't done any quest mods before, but since I'm doing LotD, it seems a good chance to actually see what's out there. Lexy's list contains:

Falskaar
Konahrik's Accountrements
Moonpath to Elseweyr
Moon and Star (I'm not going to use this one)
Teldryn Serious
Gray Cowl of Nocturnal
The Forgotten City
The Tools of Kagrenac
Wyrmstooth
Interesting NPCs (probably not using this one either)
Popular Follower Mods(tm)

So my question is if there are other quest mods that you guys would recommend. For instance, I've heard good things about Vigilant, but one glance at screenshots shows that at least visually it is very, ahem, inspired by Dark Souls. Now, I like me some Dark Souls, but Skyrim is not Dark Souls, and basically every attempt I've seen by modders to make it so has been a car crash of frustration. If Vigilant is built for that kind of thing, then I suspect I won't like it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

paying for a version that breaks all the mods that make it worth playing

todd does it again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dongicus posted:

todd does it again

It

JUST

WORKS

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dongicus posted:

todd does it again
Even better; the new version breaks all the mods even if you don't pay for it - but you don't get the new stuff unless you do. This is a masterstroke of evil.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

just remember to turn off those updates folks, and probably back up your mods or something

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

I thought I read that the last point isn't true. I think they said they will space them out.

Bethesda says a lot of things, but, if the current implementation of CC content holds, you can expect that they're gonna spam the poo poo out of you as soon as you exit the Helgen cave.

Bonus: In FO4's case, this legitimately breaks the main quest of the game, and the only way around it is to either force the game not to load those plugins until AFTER you exit the vault OR install a mod that disables auto-starting of CC content. Remember when Bethesda said that CC would allow them to bug test the content? Yep. Bethesda says a lot of things.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Commander Keene posted:

Even better; the new version breaks all the mods even if you don't pay for it - but you don't get the new stuff unless you do. This is a masterstroke of evil.

It's only going to break SKSE and SKSE dependent mods, everything else will be ok.

It's still bad, lots of good mods use SKSE but it's not a total disaster.