Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

S22 Ultra leaked IRL

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/11/05/galaxy-s22-ultra-real-world-leak-s-pen/

Looks like it's taking over for the note in every way but name. The lack of raised cameras (well, in comparison to the current) makes me think they are going to make the thing a bit thicker so they can still fit a 5000mAh cell with the S-Pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I also think A12 looks dumb and clunky but I didn't wanna get yelled at by the Preorder Gang :byodood:

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

bull3964 posted:

S22 Ultra leaked IRL

Looks like it's taking over for the note in every way but name. The lack of raised cameras (well, in comparison to the current) makes me think they are going to make the thing a bit thicker so they can still fit a 5000mAh cell with the S-Pen.

Looks like a refinement to the S21u, which should be a great phone but a little boring. Waiting for the Fold 4 or 23 series.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

S22 Ultra leaked IRL

The back looks a lot like the free A32 I got, not sure if that says more about the A series or the S22.

Also, all of the OMG PIXEL 6 PRO IS GIGANTIC chat I read online really seems to have overhyped the size of it, the one I ordered for a friend on our family plan showed up yesterday and it seemed weirdly smaller than I expected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's the same size as all the top end flagships for the past few years (and a little lighter.) So, yeah, hyperbole as usual.

I think the bigger issue is that the smaller size isn't really all that smaller and the way it's constructed shrinks that difference further. But I don't think the Pixel 6 is meant to give a smaller alternative as so much it's a cheaper alternative.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Compared to the enormous flagships it's not bigger.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just wondering what kind of obtuse being you have to be to actually use the drat pen that comes with those phones, on any sort of regular basis. To the point where it has to take up space inside the chassis that could be used for more battery or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh when is the gen 2 Pixel Stand coming out

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh when is the gen 2 Pixel Stand coming out

Probably whenever they can unload the boat that they are all sitting on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Just wondering what kind of obtuse being you have to be to actually use the drat pen that comes with those phones, on any sort of regular basis. To the point where it has to take up space inside the chassis that could be used for more battery or something.

Having owned a phone with a built-in stylus I can say that I have no idea - I constantly forgot it was there.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

bull3964 posted:

I mean, if that's the direction you want to go and are sure of what you are getting into, go for it.

It seems like accepting iOS's notification system over some UI changes is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I've had a iPhone that my company bought me lying around for a year now and I have the new iPad mini for 2 months and I still do not fundamentally understand how notifications are grouped and why dismissing them doesn't always really dismiss them.

its pretty simple dude. notifications go to the notification tray (swipe down from the top) where you can swipe individual ones away or hit the “clear all” button.

i also dont understand whats so particularly bad about the ios notification system over android. having used both for a while now i dont really see any meaningful differences

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have an iOS work phone and the notification system is completely different, and I despise it. I avoid using it as a result.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

its pretty simple dude. notifications go to the notification tray (swipe down from the top) where you can swipe individual ones away or hit the “clear all” button.

i also dont understand whats so particularly bad about the ios notification system over android. having used both for a while now i dont really see any meaningful differences

This convinced me to mess around with my iPhone SE notifications, because before I just ignored them since they weren't as nice as android. I learned you can long press them to find undiscoverable interactions, so that's one thing iOS technically has though it's easier/smoother on android since what you can do with the notification is right there. Swiping them away is a full screen thing or short swipe + tap, vs a short flick in android, which sounds small but it annoys me a lot lol. I don't like the split between newer and older notifications, but it isn't a big deal.

Overall not as different as last time I seriously tried to use them! I'll probably start actually using them on my iPad, maybe.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not sure if anyone will find this useful, but months ago I'd asked about mag-safe type USB cables, and since then have bought a bunch of these and been happy with them:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0S8-03D1-00032

The cables I've received don't have a logo or any kind of branding on them, and it looks like they are a generic that other companies slap a logo on and charge much for. The magnetic tips stick out a bit from the ports they are in, but on the devices with cases it isn't too bad, and I have phone stands that accommodate them. Each cable comes with a USB C, USB micro, and Lightning magnetic plug. They don't rotate like some of the cables I see out there, but I feel like that's another possible point of failure anyway. These cables seem to charge well for me, and do transmit data although I haven't run any tests to check the bandwidth they'll carry.

I'm sharing partly because I keep seeing ads for this company which appear to be the identical cable to what I've been buying but at a huge mark-up, like from $6.59 to $27.99 (on sale) before adding in shipping:

https://keutek.com/collections/fast-charging-cables

Edit: fixed missing link to company that looks like they are scalping the same cables

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 5, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Casual Encountess posted:

They group weird though.

Like, I just looked at the iPhone which has aggregated notifications over the past whenever it was that I looked at it. The lock screen has a notification for Google Home cameras and Google photos. Ok.

I unlock the phone and pull down the shade and now there are 4 entries, two for Google home, two for photos, each with different notifications, with the lock screen ones on top, the text "Notification Center" in the middle, and then two more different ones under it.

Now, after I put the phone down again and picked it up, the photo one disappeared from the lock screen and has moved under "Notification Center" to be grouped the other photo notification, but the Home notification is still on the lock screen and when pulling down the shade there are still two different Home notifications, one that was on the lock screen and one below the break that has other notifications.

This is all without me actually interacting with them. Why did notifications disappear off my lock screen and get grouped with something else even though I didn't interact with them. What determines that. Why are lock screen notifications different from notification center notifications.

And why is there no visual indication that you have notifications when you are just using the phone? Just put a dot or something up there.

Beyond that, just other weirdness. I get a notification from the PSN app. I swipe it away because I addressed it on my PlayStation. But the badge is still there. I open the app. That's not enough to clear the badge. I have to drill down into the app where the button l notification lives to clear it. Great, you forced me to seek out and take a look at the notification that a friend invited me to play 12 hours ago.

It's all scatter shot and weird. But that's how I feel about iOS in general. There's a bunch of glued together bits that have a very clear lineage back to web apps overlayed on a phone, but nothing quite fits together just right.

Like, it's hilarious that I can't just set a wallpaper from an app. I have to download it. Then if I don't want it to go to my iCloud account, I have to hide it, then I have to look at it and set it as wallpaper. It's all janky and unintuitive and takes 5 more steps than necessary.

Buuuuut this is the Android thread so I'll close with just how pleased I am with the Pixel 6 Pro. Easily the best Android phone I've used.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 5, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Did past Pixels get hotfix updates when something was significantly broken and outside of that occasional small feature updates between big new versions? If Google for example decides the big quick settings buttons aren't the way to go after all for example, would that come to the Pixel with Android 13 or earlier?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

I also think A12 looks dumb and clunky but I didn't wanna get yelled at by the Preorder Gang :byodood:

https://material.io/blog/announcing-material-you posted:

Personal for every style

Users customize their desktops in the physical and digital worlds with images that are personal and provide comfort and joy. We built upon this insight to generate unique Material palettes for everyone, derived from a personal signal—wallpaper—that can be applied to their entire experience.

We mix color science with years of investment in the disciplines of interaction design and engineering to make it possible to tailor any app—not just Google’s—to the user’s unique Material palette in real time. Material You includes users as co-creators, delivering a mode for every mood.

Now choose from blue, green, purple, brown, or 'whatever the phone thinks is nicest'. If you want to co-create your own UI colour, well, take your 'comfort and joy' and gently caress off.

Incessant Excess posted:

Did past Pixels get hotfix updates when something was significantly broken and outside of that occasional small feature updates between big new versions? If Google for example decides the big quick settings buttons aren't the way to go after all for example, would that come to the Pixel with Android 13 or earlier?

I do recall them loving up something server-side a few years ago that told everyone's Battery Saver mode to engage at something stupid like 95%, which was silently fixed. Still, I don't think they'd have the guts to walk back anything from the new UI

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any <$500 android tablets that would be good for drawing/low latency with stylus, like a ipad pro equivalent? The xiaomi pro 5 and lenovo xiaoxin don't seem to be sold in US at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There could be a point release to android for sure to tweak some stuff, but I don't expect any major UI changes to come until 13 at the earliest.

The next focus seems to be foldables and tablets, so that's where we are going to see UI work in the near future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Biowarfare posted:

Are there any <$500 android tablets that would be good for drawing/low latency with stylus, like a ipad pro equivalent? The xiaomi pro 5 and lenovo xiaoxin don't seem to be sold in US at all.

Samsung basically is the only option here. The S7FE has spen support and comes with one under that price.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Samsung basically is the only option here. The S7FE has spen support and comes with one under that price.

disappointing, the one brand i refuse to touch..

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
well it supports the pen so you dont have to

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After a week and a half I finally took my first phone call on the P6P. Holy gently caress is that a loud earpiece. This isn't just comparing it to the Pixel 5 either, I came directly from the Z Flip 3 to this.

Biowarfare posted:

disappointing, the one brand i refuse to touch..

Then iPad, that's basically it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

TheScott2K posted:

I hate how when something UI or UX related in Android works well you know it's just a matter of time until it gets hosed with.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Pixel 6, but Android 12 has me looking at iPhones instead. Who the gently caress thought this was good.

I've been a lifelong Android user who once scoffed at the idea of using some pissbaby iPhone, but following iPadOS 14 and all the positive buzz about iOS 14 I got an iPhone this year to give it an honest try next to the Pixel experience and, uh... Yea just do it.

There's specific use cases that iOS won't satisfy, like if you're tied to using open source YouTube alternatives you can technically sideload poo poo onto an iPhone but that involves loving around with syncing it to desktop developer tools and controlling all your PC torrents from your phone or whatever, but if you don't have specific needs that only Android can meet then the differences are just a matter of adjusting to a new user experience.

It's the small things that don't show up on spec sheets or get major focus in mainstream reviews where you'll notice all the subtle differences, like the much better haptics and smoother, more cohesive UI, which add up to me swapping back to my Pixel less and less as time goes on.

The hardware quality difference is drastic as well, unless you're the kind of person who keeps your TV on vivid picture mode you'll find the screens on iPhones seductively lovely.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don't rule out ChromeOS tablets, but I don't know anything about pens or drawing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wheeee posted:

I've been a lifelong Android user who once scoffed at the idea of using some pissbaby iPhone, but following iPadOS 14 and all the positive buzz about iOS 14 I got an iPhone this year to give it an honest try next to the Pixel experience and, uh... Yea just do it.

There's specific use cases that iOS won't satisfy, like if you're tied to using open source YouTube alternatives you can technically sideload poo poo onto an iPhone but that involves loving around with syncing it to desktop developer tools and controlling all your PC torrents from your phone or whatever, but if you don't have specific needs that only Android can meet then the differences are just a matter of adjusting to a new user experience.

It's the small things that don't show up on spec sheets or get major focus in mainstream reviews where you'll notice all the subtle differences, like the much better haptics and smoother, more cohesive UI, which add up to me swapping back to my Pixel less and less as time goes on.

The hardware quality difference is drastic as well, unless you're the kind of person who keeps your TV on vivid picture mode you'll find the screens on iPhones seductively lovely.

I’m really strongly considering an iPhone as my next phone. I do a lot of self hosting of open source applications to replace web apps that would otherwise scrape my data and Android has a much better time installing that, I guess because because the iPhone App Store polices aren’t compatible with some open source licenses. Other than that issue and the lack of USB type C for their connection I’d probably go with an iPhone. Their SOC is just so much better than the competition. Like literally twice as fast with half the power draw.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

I got a Play Store update and I'm seeing this as the first pull down now instead of the larger 4 buttons. A second pull gives you the same 8 as before.

Well I can't defend that

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Count me in as someone who jumped ship. After getting spooked about battery life woes on the 6 Pro, however true/untrue they may be, and the weird minor bugs that occur on Android 12 on my Pixel 5 even after a reset I started looking at iPhones again. Decided to just go for one and have an actual no-compromise flagship phone. I really wanted to stick with Pixel, but such is the way things go. I'll probably be back here in 4 or 5 years anyways

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wheeee posted:

I have to use an iPhone for work, and the one thing I would say is generally better than Android is the keyboard. It's surprisingly good at predictive text and the input is a bit more accurate and (I hate to say it) intuitive than any Android keyboard I've used.

That's it, though. For my purposes iOS is functionally inferior to Android, and frustrates the poo poo out of me. The Bluetooth and wifi shenanigans I get up to on a daily basis are much easier to manage on my personal Android than my work iPhone, as are notifications and alerts. Texting and phone call management is also better on Android than iPhone, and much less likely to have me accidentally calling someone when I was just trying to check the time of a call or double-check the phone number.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Buuuuut this is the Android thread so I'll close with just how pleased I am with the Pixel 6 Pro. Easily the best Android phone I've used.

Yeah, this thing is awesome. So glad I got it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Their SOC is just so much better than the competition. Like literally twice as fast with half the power draw.

The latest 2021 Android powerhouse flagships running the industry leading 888 have just now caught up to the, uh, iPhone 8 released in 2017

What Apple has accomplished with their silicone is ludicrous, I just wish their software was better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Who cares though because there's only so fast you can hate scroll Twitter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

Who cares though because there's only so fast you can hate scroll Twitter.

But you can doom scroll for longer

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Yea but god drat the laptops are tempting

Nitrousoxide posted:

But you can doom scroll for longer

That too, the speed is a nice bonus from the insane efficiency.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wheeee posted:

Yea but god drat the laptops are tempting

I've been spending the past week trying to come up with a reason to buy one but I have zero use case. The power is pointless when all of my computing needs outside of gaming are taken care of fine with a 4 year old pixelbook.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have to use an iPhone for work, and the one thing I would say is generally better than Android is the keyboard. It's surprisingly good at predictive text and the input is a bit more accurate and (I hate to say it) intuitive than any Android keyboard I've used.

I've never heard anyone ever call the newer iOS keyboard acceptable much less good. Even Apple stans who'd take a bullet over an Android call it embarrassingly inadequate and judging by my wife's messages of have to agree.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I’m a sucker for good design and Apple’s touchpads are so far ahead of everyone else it’s ludicrous, but otherwise same, I have no actual need for one.

Next year maybe I’ll get a regular Macbook when they launch the new ones, I kinda fuckin hate Windows and would be happy to only engage with it on my work computer and gaming PC.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I've never heard anyone ever call the newer iOS keyboard acceptable much less good. Even Apple stans who'd take a bullet over an Android call it embarrassingly inadequate and judging by my wife's messages of have to agree.

For sure, Gboard on iPhone is essential

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's it, though. For my purposes iOS is functionally inferior to Android, and frustrates the poo poo out of me. The Bluetooth and wifi shenanigans I get up to on a daily basis are much easier to manage on my personal Android than my work iPhone, as are notifications and alerts. Texting and phone call management is also better on Android than iPhone, and much less likely to have me accidentally calling someone when I was just trying to check the time of a call or double-check the phone number.

I dislike how the keyboard on my iPad functions vs SwiftKey (notably, hitting space to enter the suggested word), but I do really like swiping down for the special characters/numbers.

I don't understand why I get Gmail notifications in two different sections of the notifications page and why swiping away one doesn't swipe away the other.

I do "love" that I once turned on Apple Messages on the iPad and suddenly people texting my phone number from their iPhones were sending messages to it instead of, well, my phone and I didn't notice them for a few days and then it took forever to delete that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheeee posted:

I’m a sucker for good design and Apple’s touchpads are so far ahead of everyone else it’s ludicrous, but otherwise same, I have no actual need for one.

Next year maybe I’ll get a regular Macbook when they launch the new ones, I kinda fuckin hate Windows and would be happy to only engage with it on my work computer and gaming PC.

I have a Pixelbook that replaced a (horrible) 2016 MBP which replaced a (beloved) 2011 MBA. I don't *need* more than a Chromebook at all but the M1 MBA is tempting as gently caress because yeah, there's simply nothing like an Apple trackpad. They're an absolute pleasure to use in every way.

sourdough posted:

For sure, Gboard on iPhone is essential

Judging by the Gboard typo in my post it's obviously not perfect lol