Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thranguy posted:

What's the most cringe song Wilbur can pick to sing while staring at Estelle and the Vet? Back to Adele again? You Oughta Know? Anything worse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzkwLWK-Ps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The smart horse (03/1936)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

:gonk: Guys they RIPPED HIS NOSE OFF.

Chimps can do that; dunno about baboons (NSFL link without pictures) https://abcnews.go.com/Health/victim-chimp-attack-shows-destroyed-face-oprah/story?id=9053544

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thranguy posted:

What's the most cringe song Wilbur can pick to sing while staring at Estelle and the Vet? Back to Adele again? You Oughta Know? Anything worse?

Mr. Brightside

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I hope Wilbur does "I Will Always Love You." I hope he tries to go Full Whitney with it.

"Ha ha! What a crazy imagination women have! We should put her in an institution for a while until she recovers from her movie-induced hysteria!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

I hope Wilbur does "I Will Always Love You." I hope he tries to go Full Whitney with it.

And as he reaches for the high note, both the dog AND the cat start howling along, sending him into a fit of pique from which there is no recovery.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh boy am I looking forward to next week. :sickos:

Look! Look how she's not talking about her ex during dinner!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thranguy posted:

Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-T1pefyd9Q

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Drimble Wedge posted:

:gonk: Guys they RIPPED HIS NOSE OFF.

Chimps can do that; dunno about baboons (NSFL link without pictures) https://abcnews.go.com/Health/victim-chimp-attack-shows-destroyed-face-oprah/story?id=9053544

Gary Larson was friends with Jane Goodall and had been attacked by a chimp named "Frodo" (luckily nowhere near this severely,) I'm sure he had been made very aware of what type of damage a chimp attack can do.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

"What happened?!"

"Well I was arguing with this guy and said 'What are you gonna do, stab me?'"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "362 - Jucika In The Country"

"363 - 363. Jucika As A Photojournalist:

"díjnyertes bika = prizewinning bull"

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I hate this! The shrink ray story was so fun, and no more ridiculous than any “hypnotic gesture.”

Selachian posted:

"In Your Eyes"?

The worst song in Rent, somehow worse than the song about writing the worst song in Rent.

LvK posted:

Gary Larson was friends with Jane Goodall and had been attacked by a chimp named "Frodo" (luckily nowhere near this severely,) I'm sure he had been made very aware of what type of damage a chimp attack can do.

Fun fact: they only became friends after the uproar about the comic where a lady chimp refers to Goodall as a tramp!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Is this one a boner joke, or am I just too immature to understand it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Vargo did you know NFTs are actually good for the environment?

I'm sick of you coming in this thread with your anti-NFT agenda!
drat it, Mark Trail! Stop spreading these lies about NFTs!

NFTs aren't actually secure. :laugh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just Dan Again posted:

Is this one a boner joke, or am I just too immature to understand it?

they're huddling

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zereth posted:

drat it, Mark Trail! Stop spreading these lies about NFTs!

NFTs aren't actually secure. :laugh:

And they aren't burning down any drat forests!

They (and by extension all cryptomining tech) are just eating massive amounts of energy for little to no discernable value.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (March 3 and 5, 1934)

Peanuts (November 8-9, 1974)

Funky Creakensprain

Uninsurableshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 6-7, 1938)

Out Our Way (September 13-15, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (April 22-24, 1918)

Dok's Racially Insensitive Duck (November 7, 1913; spoilered because he's still slurring his speech.)

Little Lefty (August 8-10, 1935)

Blondie was the sacrifice to get a post up today. Thank you for your continued tolerance of my questionable work ethic in 2021.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 6, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Feb 21, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 11-12, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kavak posted:

And they aren't burning down any drat forests!

They (and by extension all cryptomining tech) are just eating massive amounts of energy for little to no discernable value.
Which has a big environmental impact. It's indirect and it's not specifically targeted at rainforests, but it's bad.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zereth posted:

Which has a big environmental impact. It's indirect and it's not specifically targeted at rainforests, but it's bad.

Yep. I want to feel like the NFT backlash is overblown since they're just one part of the crypto ecosystem, but they're so drat stupid I can't.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 6, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 13-15, 1937)

Oh no, this is relatable. This is far, far too relatable.

In today's less-personally-depressing Blueberry: Blueberry dismounts gracefully, or Bugs Bunny nods in approval, or OK, you lot BETTER appreciate the work I did for this goddamn map - it was much harder than you think (particularly since I am extremely unskilled, so it took so much longer than it needed to be)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is what Wilbur needs to sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmj5TWxxog

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

So that's where nu-Nancy gets its faces from.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 31, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 31, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 31, 1990)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! November 26, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True December 24, 1918

Gay and Her Gang December 20, 1929

Oaky Doaks May 23, 1936

Mopsy July 31, 1937

Up Front September 4, 1944

Dark Laughter August 6, 1949

Those Were the Days February 14, 1957

Wee Pals February 12, 1966

Dogbert August 10, 1966

Viennetta
Oct 12, 2016

It means nothing to meeeee
This means nothing to meeeee

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/5/01

Double Collins, oddly parallel this week.

Brenda Starr 7/17-19/47

Smokey Stover 4/23/44

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The expression on that bust :allears:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thranguy posted:

Muskrat Love from The Captain and Tennille.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley
Oof... I feel this one.

Oof.

Poil posted:

I strongly suspect several of them know full well what's going on but since they don't want war they just play along.

That would make sense. I'm thrown off by the comment that they don't find Aleta pretty, since I had noticed only the men seem to care about the whole goddess thing. Meanwhile Aleta has spent time just chatting with the women. And of course Tillicum has slept in the same room with her for months, so there's no way she could think Aleta is anything other than a normal person.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 15, 1948)

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 22, 1948)

Two strips today so I can finally close this storyline out. This also lets me start next week with the strip in which they actually leave, rather than this one where Foster casually suggests that the accomplishments of pre-Colombian civilizations were inspired by white people.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

100 Demons: The Election

Childhood is Hell

E:

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 15, 1948)

This storyline has really just ridden the edge between troubling and bigoted, landing on one side or the other day to day. I don’t want to excuse it at all, but I am kind of impressed by the attitude for 1948. Worse opinions are published every day in TYOOL 2021. I am heartened that Foster knows Cortez is the bad guy here at least, not sure how widespread that belief was at the time.

But apart from my serious opinions, I lol’d irl at Aleta riding Val’s shoulder sidesaddle and choking him in her efforts to hold on!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 6, 2021

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Zerilan posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zerilan posted:

It's a living!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

That would make sense. I'm thrown off by the comment that they don't find Aleta pretty, since I had noticed only the men seem to care about the whole goddess thing. Meanwhile Aleta has spent time just chatting with the women. And of course Tillicum has slept in the same room with her for months, so there's no way she could think Aleta is anything other than a normal person.

I think what Foster is saying in this first strip is "They don't find her "Beautiful," because that word doesn't describe how deeply they are in awe of her."

Pretty rough ending to this arc though, and a pretty rocky arc overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To be fair, Foster's own dialogue does say "you'll prosper not by our gifts but by your own deeds and merits" and "so they did for 1000 years until Cortez hosed it all up" so I feel like he had some clearly good intent there and, for 1948, didn't even pull it off very badly at all.