Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Yeah, once you have good amounts of aluminum cooking your first priority should really be getting Pulsating Polymer Clay automated and stored in bulk to begin feeding DML. Get ender pearls and diamonds up and running to feed numismatic dynamos. After that start churning out and caching nonstop iron, copper, silver, gold, and tin. Once you’ve got that going, enjoy never having to mine again!

Then you have two choices - progress, stopping to batch craft when needed, or creep forward at a glacial pace like I am doing in my current run by automating production of anything even remotely needed in bulk. I’ve spent the last several days automating production of wires, rods, alloys, circuit components, and basic chemicals. I’m finally getting my petrochem going, but having done all that prep, I can just set 6 stacks of circuits in motion, fast craft a stack of motors and pumps and whatnot and start rocketing through HV.

That’s the idea anyway, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I think what I need to do is sit down and figure out what automation looks like in this because I'm trying to think in the same way as in other modpacks I play (I play on a server with some friends running a curated 1.16 pack, and reading this thread was what got me on the idea of Omni) and it's clearly not working. Thanks for the vibe check, y'all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I think what I need to do is sit down and figure out what automation looks like in this because I'm trying to think in the same way as in other modpacks I play (I play on a server with some friends running a curated 1.16 pack, and reading this thread was what got me on the idea of Omni) and it's clearly not working. Thanks for the vibe check, y'all.

https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/OmnifactoryGuides/blob/latest/guides/PolymerClayAutomation.md this is a good shortcut (and that github repo has other guides on it as well)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do you manage a variety of tiny dusts into compacting/packaging machines? Can the robotic arms be configured to only take 9 of a common type from an adjacent inventory?

Also, the purified galena and sphalerite pass right through that ore processing like prunes. Are they being specifically set aside for indium concentrate? It's the only thing I see outside the normal path for those outputs.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Yup! Robot arms with an OreDict filter set to dustSmall* and dustTiny* with Supply Exact 4 and 9 does the trick for dust packaging.

And what you said about sphalerite and galena is exactly right.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay I may have missed something in the book or other reading but... how the heck do I control where a machine gets inputs and outputs? I'm so used to Mekanism where there's a whole drat UI for configuring I/O that all these Gregtech machines just have me confused. :(

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That threw me aswell. For Gregtech you need to right click the side you want to output with a Gregtech wrench specifically (not a crescent wench or yeeta wrench). Make sure you also click the button to enable auto-output.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 4, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Jesus, I'm never using Colossal Chests again. I was getting 2-10 seconds of lag every time my Simple Storage system did ANYTHING in my RAD world. I added Refined Storage and made the swap and god drat it's like night and day. Shame to lose the interdimensional access (the 1.12.2 version doesn't have it in), but oh well.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

colossal chests is really cool but the absolute lack of QoL on it is miserable

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Felt the Minecraft Itch for the first time in 4-5 years so I picked up Omnifactory yesterday and made it to some basic machinery. I was just about fed up with handcrafting all these plates and wires when I got my wiremill and compressor online, what a relief that was.

So far the quest book has been really good at guiding me along, but I've been out of the loop for so long that I bet I'm missing a thing or two. The only thing "automated" so far is the ol' hoppers-into-furnaces. Are there any useful/cool gadgets or setups you can make early on that the quest book doesn't point you at? The latest metal I have access to is steel.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Can't really think of much the questbook doesn't point you to with the exception that when it says to build one machine you should really build at least 4. The mechanical crafters may not also be mentioned and they're a cheap, easy autocrafter for automation. And crates. Crates are very good storage. The crafting table you can put all the GT crafting tools into accepts chests, crates, and most importantly controllers placed next to it to access their inventories for your early crafting needs before you set up AE.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ixjuvin posted:

Felt the Minecraft Itch for the first time in 4-5 years so I picked up Omnifactory yesterday and made it to some basic machinery. I was just about fed up with handcrafting all these plates and wires when I got my wiremill and compressor online, what a relief that was.

So far the quest book has been really good at guiding me along, but I've been out of the loop for so long that I bet I'm missing a thing or two. The only thing "automated" so far is the ol' hoppers-into-furnaces. Are there any useful/cool gadgets or setups you can make early on that the quest book doesn't point you at? The latest metal I have access to is steel.
Early on you'll have very little actual automation, so you're mostly just going to be trying to batch craft items as you need them, but the crafting stations or workbenches or whatever they're called now can help with that. With early machines you can chain them together side by side, but probably won't do that very often. Actual automation picks up around the time you start getting into Applied Energistics, and it really picks up from there. That first hurdle's a bitch.
I've had to restart a few times in the past over various versions (though I haven't played the current one) and my first huge milestone is getting basic plastic processing up and running so I can upgrade to the better early processors. I end up a little starved for materials early on as a result but you save a lot every time you make it to the next best processor on the same tier, so it's hard for me not to beeline it.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

When it says "instead of making one, make a stack" it means it. Also don't care terribly much about saving things for later, such as ores you don't want to process yet because you want the byproducts. Just mulch it, you'll get more later and it's not worth not using it now. And make stacks and stacks of SMD components when you get there, you're gonna need a ton of circuits, that's another high priority automation target.

You really do want to set up closed loop DML ASAP, and get crankin out the basic stuff: diamonds, ender pearls, iron, copper, tin, gold, silver. It's not too terrible to get that runnin. That lets you never have to worry about the most basic building blocks of poo poo. And then you can also start automating LV poo poo for the bounty board if you feel like you need to burn omnicoins. I didn't really worry about bounty board and really churnin coins until IV.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are there any omni factory type modpacks but for magic? Like with a quest book to provide some goals.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Althalin posted:

I've been getting some good mileage out of Brass, which is a progression pack based on Create and Industrial Engineering, working in Mekanism and RFTools later on.

For my personal consumption, I threw in Iron Chests and Tetra, both of which play nicely with the pack itself (I mostly added Tetra because I hadn't really used it before, and was interested in seeing what their TiCon alternative was like)

It's scratching a similar itch to Age of Engineering, which remains my favorite 1.10 pack, though it's not nearly as hardcore (or as focused on parallel production)

Highly recommend.

I tried this out and enjoyed it quite a bit, although I'm going to toss RefinedStorage in there as well because I refuse to play a pack without RS or AE2.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Are there any omni factory type modpacks but for magic? Like with a quest book to provide some goals.

I'd say anything with Thaumcraft and Thaumic Augmentation is already halfwey there. That book is boss. I just did the whole thing in Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons and I was quite impressed the whole way through with everything except the annoying Warp effects.

Sky Bees is very reliant on Botania, Blood Magic, and Astral Sorcery with modified recipes, if that's more your speed, too. I quite liked it, but I got bored around the "use bees to make singularities to use in Extreme Crafting" stage because gently caress that entire enterprise.

Heavens of Sorcery is theoretically what you're after, but the grind is miserable. It leans really heavily on Wizardry, too, which is just ugghhh. If you think Thaumcraft focuses are ineffectual, Wizardry can make you change your mind.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 5, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ixjuvin posted:

Side note: There's a goon server that could use more activity than just me screaming into the void.

I don't think you'll make any big automations until you have a level of technology where you can produce AE2 stuff regularly anyways. I think that polyethylene can be put through a pipeline pretty early on, but you still need a continually running DML setup for it. For an ongoing DML setup, you will need polymer clay. I don't remember tier and specific things you need for that, but I think you'll be comfortably in MV tier by that point and starting to poop out AE2.

You can focus on getting the various DML mobs to the level of self-aware so they produce more. At least having some on standby will give you some alternate sources for iron, copper, and tin. Heck, even alumininimnimium.

I waited a little too long to automate everything; I was well through MV tier and starting to look at the microminer and the beginning of HV before I did. At that point, I could have been automating everything. I think when you get the refined circuits (the 1.4 circuits) that a switch should flip in your head and you should be able to automate everything you have at that point.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I have some decent automation pre AE2. Got full ore processing, mostly full chain plastic board, the only thing not automated in that chain is the chlorine, titanium, DML. I will probably do a few more things before I spin up AE2 automation/crafting, in the process of upgrading some of the automation to HV, and adding some more stuff, like SMD and epoxy boards, to get T1, T2, and T3 circuits fully automated.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

The thing I'm realising about Create is that the more incompetently you over-engineer something, the cooler it looks. So it's a win-win situaion. This makes clay.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Modrasone posted:

The thing I'm realising about Create is that the more incompetently you over-engineer something, the cooler it looks. So it's a win-win situaion. This makes clay.

You could probably reduce your small cog usage significantly with more belts, which can also go diagonally. Though turning your machine into a clockwork monstrosity is indeed cool.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the biggest :O moment for me with Create was realizing that you can use belts to turn rods, not just the other way around.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Modrasone posted:

Assuming you're not in brass land, what's your plan to hold it long enough to be washed to clay? Do you do it manually? That's my solution at the moment.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Prokhor posted:

Assuming you're not in brass land, what's your plan to hold it long enough to be washed to clay? Do you do it manually? That's my solution at the moment.

I just set up cobble to gravel to wash into iron & flint and my solution was to slow down my belt and use two fans in a row and that seemed to work. I wonder if it would be easier to use a fan blowing the long way on the belt and drop the products down a block.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

isndl posted:

You could probably reduce your small cog usage significantly with more belts, which can also go diagonally. Though turning your machine into a clockwork monstrosity is indeed cool.

No. More Cogs.

This was made after I got my first brass.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
too bad i'm an idiot, otherwise I'd play Create. I need packs like Omnifactory and GTNH which walk me through stuff.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

too bad i'm an idiot, otherwise I'd play Create. I need packs like Omnifactory and GTNH which walk me through stuff.

FWIW the in-game docs for Create are pretty good, not perfect though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Prokhor posted:

You should be in brass land already if you have crushing wheels, but there's several variables you can mess with:

• Wash time increases by stack size, so partial stacks wash faster. A vanilla hopper feeding directly onto a belt is a low tech way of guaranteeing single item stacks.
  • Decreasing belt speed for more time in the wash zone.
  • Increasing fan speed to increase wash zone length, if your belt runs directly in it.
  • Pointing more fans at a block should linearly decrease wash time (two fans wash at double speed, etc). Last I checked, having a fan at the same y level as the belt counts too.

If your belt runs directly under the fan, the block under the fan is also in the wash zone so you get an extra second or two there as well. I figured that out a while back when designing a compact millstone setup for early game.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Falcon2001 posted:

FWIW the in-game docs for Create are pretty good, not perfect though.

the docs are pretty good for individual devices, but not particularly good for suggesting what combined contraptions can do or how to go about it if you don’t know anything. it also never explains some concepts that don’t exist in a single machine i.e. kinetic stress, though it’s not hard to figure that one out.

more importantly IMO the opening chapter of Above and Beyond at least pretty much goes “hey, automate andesite machines! also all the automation tools are locked behind two levels of complexity further in, so naturally you can just crank out vanilla redstone filtering and transport circuits using mostly vanilla tools right? i assume you just know how to do that, *everyone* does so i won’t even bother saying how” and that was far greater than my weak minebrain was capable of. idk if that’s what that person was talking about, mind

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Have you played Regrowth? :v:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

BlondRobin posted:

the docs are pretty good for individual devices, but not particularly good for suggesting what combined contraptions can do or how to go about it if you don’t know anything. it also never explains some concepts that don’t exist in a single machine i.e. kinetic stress, though it’s not hard to figure that one out.

more importantly IMO the opening chapter of Above and Beyond at least pretty much goes “hey, automate andesite machines! also all the automation tools are locked behind two levels of complexity further in, so naturally you can just crank out vanilla redstone filtering and transport circuits using mostly vanilla tools right? i assume you just know how to do that, *everyone* does so i won’t even bother saying how” and that was far greater than my weak minebrain was capable of. idk if that’s what that person was talking about, mind

Yeah Above and Beyond is not a Create beginner friendly pack. The expectation is that you’re already aware of what you can do in create itself.

The v1.1 update makes actually automating the andesite machine process much less painful because they moved the transfer thing down to this tier. Though overall right at the beginning they expect you to know how to build a specific cobblegen, a tree farm, a washing station (for clay) and a kelp farm to start automating stuff. If you don’t know, well they’re not explaining it and it can be a bit overwhelming.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Hey so am I. Massive idiot. I've googled how to make a redstone clock so often I'm surprised its not one of my suggested browser pages. Am I going to use a creative test world? No. Am I going to download Schematics? No. I want the pain. I want the challenge. I want to be an idiot. It's really fun having to deal with physical space as a restriction, much like vanilla. Space becomes an important resource which is a great change from RF based mods.

Finished the 2nd assembly line last night after many stupid mistakes and tearing it down and rebuilding. Yes it's probably 25 square blocks bigger than it needs to be but it works and its mine.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maguoob posted:

The v1.1 update makes actually automating the andesite machine process much less painful because they moved the transfer thing down to this tier. Though overall right at the beginning they expect you to know how to build a specific cobblegen, a tree farm, a washing station (for clay) and a kelp farm to start automating stuff. If you don’t know, well they’re not explaining it and it can be a bit overwhelming.

This is the state I am in with Above and Beyond. I've seen some stuff on Create but never really tried it myself and the quest process is like "Step 1: Automate Andesite" or trees or kelp or whatever and so it's a little slow going, but in general knowing how to automate stuff modding in general plus the ponder command is really helpful in figuring out what i need to do and make in order to do those things. Still, it took a while even discounting the time I used to build some farmland for food (I really like the straw golem) and a cute house overlooking a meteor site. As it's been posted here plenty of times it's not a good pack to get started with and there are mods included that at this early stage seem kind of extraneous.

But despite that, it's been fun so far. Create is really interesting and the pack runs a lot better than I was expecting. I am definitely losing time too trying to make my machines look good with supporting structures and scaffolding.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Create looks like Better Than Wolves without animal abuse. Windmills, cogs, rods, etc? Am I about on the mark?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

D34THROW posted:

Create looks like Better Than Wolves without animal abuse. Windmills, cogs, rods, etc? Am I about on the mark?

Aesthetically it's pretty close, but it's a lot less...bizarre and more fun. Something about it is very lighthearted somehow, I dunno.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Falcon2001 posted:

Aesthetically it's pretty close, but it's a lot less...bizarre and more fun. Something about it is very lighthearted somehow, I dunno.

Yeah, like I barely have scratch the surface with it but its very freeform and there's a lot of ways to do something, it has energy reminiscent of stuff like Frames from way old mods.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

D34THROW posted:

Create is more of a complete progressive tech mod that uses kinetic energy thematically, where something like BTW is a bit more of a kitchen sink of ideas, from what I’ve seen of both mods.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So I've never touched Create before playing above and Beyond and it's going totally fine. I had to present the in game help a lot but it was easy to grasp and the hardest part was wrapping my head around the cogwheels and how to change their speeds and angles.

I'm actually glad the pack is my first experience with Create because I don't handle sandbox well. I need progression, gating, and challenges to enjoy the game. Create A&B is to create as GTNH and Omnifactory are to gregtech. I feel like if I just slapped Create into vanilla I'd be like "this is cool but what's the point?"

Not a first modpack ever but you'll be fine if you're familiar with progression packs.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been moving through Cuboid Outpost, and I just used Create to help me automate creation of netherrack (and end stone later, too). I was fortunate to have gotten an ender pearl, though, because unlike the sheep shearing example in the 'ponder' for the deployer, the block just flies out of the stone barrel the same way it does when a player does it. So ender hopper it is! I'm also just barely dipping my toes into mekanism, now that I'm able to alloy osmium in the smeltery, so I have some actual piping now too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I ran into this bug in our Omnifactory setup:

https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/Omnifactory/issues/205

All those robotics arms y'all got me to use like to reset to 1. I'm guessing there are newer Omnifactory versions, but are they otherwise disruptive?

Edit: I'm apparently using 1.2.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: I'm apparently using 1.2.2

1.2.2 is the curseforge version and very out of date. You'll want the nightlies from Here with a guide to updating Here.