Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

If they got the colors right that would be difficult to pass on.

Neon hot pink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

The_Doctor posted:

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2021TRANSFORMERS THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again! I'm launching it a bit earlier this year because postal systems are already announcing they're going to be incredibly overloaded, so here's some extra time to beat the rush!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of Transformers goodies, toys, candy, maybe something off the wall, and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: https://forms.gle/rBs2Y7vyitWXGYBB7

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
and in the subject line, please include the tag [TFSS]

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINES: The deadline for sign-ups is Monday November 8TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

Try to have your gift mailed out by Friday December 10th

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£20-25) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) WORK ADDRESSES: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you can agree to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: https://www.royalmail.com/christmas/last-posting-dates

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-shipping-dates.htm/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you!

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 10th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

From pages ago but just wanted to post that I signed up and a big thanks for hosting this year.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fantastic! I was going to repost that at some point today or tomorrow anyway, so good on you for doing it! :toot:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Looks like Big Lots in the US got the latest Studio Series wave in, the one with Gnaw, Jazz, & Jolt for $23

And also some real naff looking GI Joe knock-off legos.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MP Cliffjumper's rocking some bellbottoms.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Anyone got any tips for getting Waspinator back into robot mode? Mine's crotch is stuck in his bug rear end.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good Listener posted:

Anyone got any tips for getting Waspinator back into robot mode? Mine's crotch is stuck in his bug rear end.

Why universe always kinkshame Waspinator

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Good Listener posted:

I had this problem too. Nothing really helped except putting it in and out several times till it loosened a bit.

Basically...

Phy posted:

Why universe always kinkshame Waspinator

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I spose I will have to figure out a way to poke it out of there then haha glad to hear atleast it's not just me.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I got hosed over by moving, ugh. I don't suppose anyone knows where I could get a Shattered Glass Megatron at this point :(

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Rewatched The Rebirth last night thanks to all the original TF episodes being up on Hasbro's youtube channel, first time saw it since saw it as a child much like the last episodes I spoke of before.

Wow Spike turns out to be a freaking genius, he ends up creating the head master process. Is able to re engineer the target master process from the Decepticons AND he builds Fortress Maximus in a day or two via using the Hives own machines and old city. He puts even wheeljack and Perceptor to shame.

You'd think it would be Brainstorm or one of the Nebulans but nope it's Spike. Granted Brainstorm did have the thought of Transformers and organic beings could be powerful together but it was still Spike who came up with the what and how.

The Lithone designs from the animated movie gets reused again for Hive members. One showed up in season three with Wreck Gar, the female junkion. Lithones were the robots eaten by Unicron in the movies opening.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 5, 2021

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Didn't we have a resident Diaclone person? If so are you around and did you get the Gridman stuff? Kinda perusing that and was interested in impressions.

Sorry, I am awful at remembering usernames. You're all robot pictures and avatars to me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that's Droyer

E: yup, paging Droyer

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Phy posted:

I think that's Droyer

E: yup, paging Droyer

Thanks! I'll check their post history. I could of course skim other boards for impressions but I feel like I get a clearer picture of stuff from folks here.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Rewatched The Rebirth last night thanks to all the original TF episodes being up on Hasbro's youtube channel, first time saw it since saw it as a child much like the last episodes I spoke of before.

Wow Spike turns out to be a freaking genius, he ends up creating the head master process. Is able to re engineer the target master process from the Decepticons AND he builds Fortress Maximus in a day or two via using the Hives own machines and old city. He puts even wheeljack and Perceptor to shame.

You'd think it would be Brainstorm or one of the Nebulans but nope it's Spike. Granted Brainstorm did have the thought of Transformers and organic beings could be powerful together but it was still Spike who came up with the what and how.

The Lithone designs from the animated movie gets reused again for Hive members. One showed up in season three with Wreck Gar, the female junkion. Lithones were the robots eaten by Unicron in the movies opening.

It's amazing that "The Rebirth" is even watchable since it introduces literally dozens of new characters, most of them in the first episode. Originally it was supposed to be five episodes but it got compressed into three, so the squeezing in of new characters was even more noticeable. Too bad it was the end of the cartoon's original run in America, unless you count those weird reruns with the kid and the giant Optimus puppet:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DisposableHero posted:

Didn't we have a resident Diaclone person? If so are you around and did you get the Gridman stuff? Kinda perusing that and was interested in impressions.

Sorry, I am awful at remembering usernames. You're all robot pictures and avatars to me.

Yeah i have the Diaclone/Gridman stuff. Out of the 3 releases I'd say only the first one is like, particularly impressive. Cool little fairly well articulated Gridman figure with a neat plane it can combine with, though the combination does limit articulation somewhat. The second release is just a shinier Gridman without the combiner parts, but it does come with the main character of the story they wrote for the crossover, who is also the first named human character in Diaclone history. The third one is very cute and it comes with a teeny tiny Diaclone-member sized Gridman, but the robot itself doesn't transform so if you're here for transforming robots you might be disappointed. It has crossplay features with the first release though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Action Jacktion posted:

Too bad it was the end of the cartoon's original run in America, unless you count those weird reruns with the kid and the giant Optimus puppet:

This (and VHS rental) is how I remember watching Transformers as a kid, and I probably have a few VHS recordings with a few episodes with these bits somewhere

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Droyer posted:

Yeah i have the Diaclone/Gridman stuff. Out of the 3 releases I'd say only the first one is like, particularly impressive. Cool little fairly well articulated Gridman figure with a neat plane it can combine with, though the combination does limit articulation somewhat. The second release is just a shinier Gridman without the combiner parts, but it does come with the main character of the story they wrote for the crossover, who is also the first named human character in Diaclone history. The third one is very cute and it comes with a teeny tiny Diaclone-member sized Gridman, but the robot itself doesn't transform so if you're here for transforming robots you might be disappointed. It has crossplay features with the first release though.

Thanks. Yeah the first you mentioned was really the only one I was super entertaining. I'm used to low articulation combined since I have the Dyna Dragon and Gridman that combined from when I was a kid. I was reliving my obsession with that toy a bit recently and wanted a modern representation of Gridman at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This (and VHS rental) is how I remember watching Transformers as a kid, and I probably have a few VHS recordings with a few episodes with these bits somewhere
I saw you posting and I was kind of hoping you were going to say "that puppet is in the canteen in the Hasbro office" or something similar.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DisposableHero posted:

Thanks. Yeah the first you mentioned was really the only one I was super entertaining. I'm used to low articulation combined since I have the Dyna Dragon and Gridman that combined from when I was a kid. I was reliving my obsession with that toy a bit recently and wanted a modern representation of Gridman at least.

In that case it might interest you to know that while the crossover is with SSSS.Girdman and uses that deisgn, the toy has a bunch of little nods to the original Gridman.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Droyer posted:

In that case it might interest you to know that while the crossover is with SSSS.Girdman and uses that deisgn, the toy has a bunch of little nods to the original Gridman.

That definitely does! I guess there's a non zero chance this awakens some sorta Diaclone interest in me but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Arquinsiel posted:

I saw you posting and I was kind of hoping you were going to say "that puppet is in the canteen in the Hasbro office" or something similar.

If they had any class they'd give it to an orphanage

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Action Jacktion posted:

It's amazing that "The Rebirth" is even watchable since it introduces literally dozens of new characters, most of them in the first episode. Originally it was supposed to be five episodes but it got compressed into three, so the squeezing in of new characters was even more noticeable. Too bad it was the end of the cartoon's original run in America, unless you count those weird reruns with the kid and the giant Optimus puppet:

Hot Rod totally got the shaft, he goes from leader of the Autobots to barely saying three sentences in the Rebirth. As you said there are so many characters to introduce it's kinda hard to give them all a fair shake, especially with the number of episodes being cut down.

I never knew about that giant Optimus puppet thing until only a few years ago, I can't remember anyone ever mentioning it. Now the whole Generation two thing with that stupid cybertron cube thing I saw on TV, I was so disappointed to see at the time it was only the old episodes with that annoying gimmick inserted. Hated it then, hate it now.

Was there ever a reason why the cartoon in North America ended? The toy line was still going, the comic was still selling. It always seemed odd they stopped. Or did they consider that Optimus puppet and retelling cheaper so cheaped out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The weird thing is that they didn't just start dubbing Japanese Transformers

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://youtu.be/cdd3tTD1SDU

The first of the last of the Cyberverse show has landed, in the form of a special movie episode. The 2nd one and grand finale will come later this month.

This one is super fun! Mercenaries! Beatboxing face offs! Girl Swoop!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Burkion posted:

The weird thing is that they didn't just start dubbing Japanese Transformers

That's what I thought for years as well, upon reading about the Japanese stuff the more I realized how silly they often did things. And yeah I know the original stuff was silly at times but feels like over seas they made it more so.

Will give them credit for not being afraid of killing humans. Planes, boats, poo poo was destroyed and people killed.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 6, 2021

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Having recently finished Victory and Zone, my opinion is that Victory is the best of those 80s Japanese ones. Masterforce had some fun characters but man can Headmasters gently caress off lol. The WORST Chromedome

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Brilliant, blocked in the UK. It was that kind of thinking that meant the original show was hardly viewable in the UK and led to the cartoons ending in the west while they were still trying to sell the toys.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nodosaur posted:

https://youtu.be/cdd3tTD1SDU

The first of the last of the Cyberverse show has landed, in the form of a special movie episode. The 2nd one and grand finale will come later this month.

This one is super fun! Mercenaries! Beatboxing face offs! Girl Swoop!

I love Dinobots, and I love Volcanicus
I don’t care for smart Dinobots, and I don’t care for cool Volcanicus

Volcanicus should be terrifying and uncontrollable

That said,
I do really like all of the Dinobot designs and especially Volcanicus with wings

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Good Listener posted:

Having recently finished Victory and Zone, my opinion is that Victory is the best of those 80s Japanese ones. Masterforce had some fun characters but man can Headmasters gently caress off lol. The WORST Chromedome

Headmasters was kind of odd since it tried to continue the American series and use the same characters, though it wrote out or killed off some of them to give time to the new ones. Masterforce and Victory mainly just ignored old characters and focused on the new ones. Zone was basically the Japanese cartoon's version of "The Rebirth," since it introduced lots of new characters but turned out to be the end of the series, except instead of three episodes, Zone was only one episode.

The Japanese writers seemed to like having demonic aliens leading the Decepticons, what with Devil Z in Masterforce, Violengiguar in Zone, and the comics-only Dark Nova.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
looks like Thew got name dropped in this episode if you translate the data pad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Anora posted:

looks like Thew got name dropped in this episode if you translate the data pad.

I see we've reached the correct Timeline after all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sockser posted:

I love Dinobots, and I love Volcanicus
I don’t care for smart Dinobots, and I don’t care for cool Volcanicus

Volcanicus should be terrifying and uncontrollable

That said,
I do really like all of the Dinobot designs and especially Volcanicus with wings

That doesn’t really fit this version of Grimlock, who has always been more of a gentleman adventurer than “ME GRIMLOCK BAD rear end RAAAAGH”

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

Grimlock [...] a gentleman adventurer

I've managed to pretty much completely avoid Cyberverse until now and this is the first thing I've read to make me feel like I've been missing out

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phy posted:

I've managed to pretty much completely avoid Cyberverse until now and this is the first thing I've read to make me feel like I've been missing out

He throws after victory soirées and is best friends with Arcee. They go on adventures together

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Why exactly did they bring Optimus back to life at the end of season three? Yes I know, parents and kids complained. But they only had the Rebirth after his return and that was it. No more full new seasons, so what did it really achieve?

If there had been more full proper seasons okay I get it but there wasn't. Unless you count Headmasters and they killed him again the very first episode and send off most of the season three cast nine episodes later.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Last Call posted:

Why exactly did they bring Optimus back to life at the end of season three? Yes I know, parents and kids complained. But they only had the Rebirth after his return and that was it. No more full new seasons, so what did it really achieve?

If there had been more full proper seasons okay I get it but there wasn't. Unless you count Headmasters and they killed him again the very first episode and send off most of the season three cast nine episodes later.

You're missing part of it

Remember that time they brought Optimus back as an evil zombie and then killed him even harder?

Turns out that didn't sit well with the target audience even more than killing him the first time

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Burkion posted:

You're missing part of it

Remember that time they brought Optimus back as an evil zombie and then killed him even harder?

Turns out that didn't sit well with the target audience even more than killing him the first time

I remember watching and thinking "Hey it's Optimus! Okay he's messed up, kinda a zombie. Oh crap half of him is a mess! Wow he blew up real good"

Then later:

"Hey how did his side get repaired when they found him?"

That part bothered me more than anything as a kid.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Last Call posted:

Why exactly did they bring Optimus back to life at the end of season three? Yes I know, parents and kids complained.

Probably would have went over better had Hot Rod not been part of the reason he died, or at least, been more likable once he was Rodimus.

I think it says a lot that the alternate future '86 movie comic has Hot Rod die at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hot Rod/Rodimus is the most relatable character in the whole cartoon... for young adults in the 2020s.