Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat that’s crazy to me because I find HxH to be literally exhausting to watch. I’ve made it through Greed Island and stopped at Chimera Ant because I just literally cannot hang with that show’s pace. I like the characters and setting, but I feel like it just sucks all the fun out of every exciting thing that happens all the time. I couldn’t believe how long the loving game of dodgeball took, Jesus Christ. That so many people regard it as a pinnacle of the genre is a huge bummer.

By contrast, JJK will allow cool things to happen for minutes, even entire scenes, without nerdishly explaining the dork rules to the audience. People say Attack on Titan has the worst pacing in anime, but that’s a per episode kind of glacial slow burn. HxH has the worst pacing on an episode by episode basis, because every single action scene is cut up into power point lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I personally like Jujutsu Kaisen because;

- It's well animated, like seriously, it's great and stylish

- It's paced well. Few if any scenes feel drawn out or out of place

- It has fun and interesting characters with some depth to them

- The main protagonist has already basically lost and been "killed" by a monster so he doesn't feel overpowered or invincible and his journey towards greater power so far feels "earned"

- Interesting and creative powers that sets up interesting and creative fights

- The most powerful character in the setting is actually on the good guys team so the bad guys are starting from the position of underdogs which is cool

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Stylistically, HxH breaks a lot of dumb shounen tropes for the better, but from an overall narrative PoV, the author is also madly in love with breaking the cardinal 'show, don't tell' rule of storytelling, yeah. If you find that deeply off-putting, I can understand why the show might fall flat. The author obviously has a massive didactic bent and loves to meta-comment on everything that is happening.

Honestly, sometimes it's irritating and sometimes it's charming. It doesn't really detract from everything that makes the show great for me though. It is a show with a lot of whizz-bang explosions, so I can see how constantly stepping outside of that to comment on what is happening might feel like pace-killing bullshit, but in general the fights and such in the show are often intentionally highlighted as psychological/intellectual/strategic, not strictly eye candy. Many of the key fight-y bits of the show would make little to no sense without explanations, and are not simple enough to be comprehensible purely visually. It would be a different and ultimately probably a shallower show without it, imo, but each to their own.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its because its the only show with nobara

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Its because its the only show with nobara

This but also Maki

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like that the women in the cast can just be characters without having to also be vehicles for fanservice

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Everything Burrito posted:

I really like that the women in the cast can just be characters without having to also be vehicles for fanservice

Apparently Gege knows his mother is reading the series, so does not really feel comfortable putting female fanservice in it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There's plenty of fanservice in the show, it's just mostly muscled male bodies

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Collapsing Farts posted:

That's why I said Female Fanservice.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently Gege knows his mother is reading the series, so does not really feel comfortable putting female fanservice in it.

And it's a better series for it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Collapsing Farts posted:

Chaotic Flame posted:

And it's a better series for it

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
The tone of the series was set early on by the death of his grandfather. The show treats his death in the serious way it should and takes the time to show the impact of the death but not dwell on it.

In a show where the characters are powered by misery not ever forgetting that fact is important. Also the fact the setsuna(the demon) could spring out at any moment and ruin everything is never far from the surface.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nobara is really great, I can't think of the last time a female character in a shonen battle manga was this combo of

1. Cool

2. Funny

3. Non-sexualized

4. Competent and strong in fights

5. Not evil

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For me its because the chemistry between the 3 goofballs was entertaining.The characterization is simple, but strong and theres an immediate sense of rapport in any dialogue.

As for the rest of it, the world of JJK feels like a world. People are doing their own thing, things progress regardless of the protagonists, and they chase the plot. The Plot isnt something that comes to them but something they actively seek. Itadori is Sukuna's vessel, but he isnt the center of the universe.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nobara really captures the energy of having a very hot, platonic female friend or coworker who is too mean and annoying for you to find sexy, and that’s not a character archetype I see in anime a lot, typically they go for the lower hanging fruit. As a bisexual I think the big sweaty hunky dudes taking up such a huge chunk of the show is great! My friends got me to start watching JoJo and I didn’t realize how much I wanted more beefcake and less T&A. My best friend and I basically only refer to each other as “Bruzzah” now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobara really captures the energy of having a very hot, platonic female friend or coworker who is too mean and annoying for you to find sexy, and that’s not a character archetype I see in anime a lot, typically they go for the lower hanging fruit. As a bisexual I think the big sweaty hunky dudes taking up such a huge chunk of the show is great! My friends got me to start watching JoJo and I didn’t realize how much I wanted more beefcake and less T&A. My best friend and I basically only refer to each other as “Bruzzah” now.

"Too annoying to find sexy" is basically Aqua's main social niche in Konosuba, if you haven't seen that. It's actually part of the core of the dynamic between her and the protagonist.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m glad you understand what I was trying to say, it feels like the kind of archetype that anime would have a specific word for

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There’s only like…one beefcake in the show though?

Everyone else is either a gimmick character or some variation of brooding Sasuke bishounen.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Jujutsu Kaisen is a harem anime but instead of sex everyone wants to be Yuji's best friend

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Bust Rodd posted:

drat that’s crazy to me because I find HxH to be literally exhausting to watch. I’ve made it through Greed Island and stopped at Chimera Ant because I just literally cannot hang with that show’s pace. I like the characters and setting, but I feel like it just sucks all the fun out of every exciting thing that happens all the time. I couldn’t believe how long the loving game of dodgeball took, Jesus Christ. That so many people regard it as a pinnacle of the genre is a huge bummer.

By contrast, JJK will allow cool things to happen for minutes, even entire scenes, without nerdishly explaining the dork rules to the audience. People say Attack on Titan has the worst pacing in anime, but that’s a per episode kind of glacial slow burn. HxH has the worst pacing on an episode by episode basis, because every single action scene is cut up into power point lessons.

I tapped out on HxH after 30 some episodes cause I realized I was forcing myself to enjoy it based on all the hype. I just didn't find the characters or the fights all that interesting and it didn't help that a bunch of 10 year olds getting into death battles with adults was really silly to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

10 year olds getting into death battles with adults is what the genre is about tbh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jujutsu kaisen consistently has a really rad fight with really rad animation every episode, and the characters are fun enough and there is competent enough storytelling that the time between fights doesn't feel like a waste. i don't think there's anything particularly deep about jujutsu kaisen so much as it has a consistency in quality that's always at worst "ok enough." meanwhile almost all shounen has some part or aspect that you have to "suffer through" to get to the good stuff

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nobara is Queen Bitch of Crazy Town and I say that only in the most reverential and deferential of tones.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ibblebibble posted:

Nobara is Queen Bitch of Crazy Town and I say that only in the most reverential and deferential of tones.

Yeah it's awesome

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm pretty sure the reigning monarchy of Crazy Town comes from Chainsaw Man.

Nobara is very respectable levels of batshit, but her limited use of strategic cannibalism makes it difficult to give her the overall title.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
As an office drone I truly resonate with Nanami and his barely restrained contempt for the world

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

nanami is pretty plainly the best character and i was really glad they didn't kill him after setting up a ton of death flags for him

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I love that nanami is the character that developed this insanely huge female fanbase.

I mean Gojo did too, but he is a pretty boy. The prettiest boy even.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gege himself said that if you were to look up to someone and think they are cool, pick Nanami, not Gojo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CharlestonJew posted:

As an office drone I truly resonate with Nanami and his barely restrained contempt for the world

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bumping thread because they've finally announced a US/Canada release date for the movie, March 18th.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/jujutsu-kaisen-0-movie-english-trailer-synopsis/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this! posted:

Bumping thread because they've finally announced a US/Canada release date for the movie, March 18th.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/jujutsu-kaisen-0-movie-english-trailer-synopsis/

Looking forward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was Day 1 for Mugen Train and I’m Day 1 for this, so excited!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 2 officially announced... to air in 2023.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Not too shocked. It needs time if it's going to be great looking.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I assume they probably started working on it right after season 1 (along with the movie), so that's around 2.5 years then?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MAPPA has been incredibly busy lately.
and thats probably an understatement.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It gives me hope that the chainsawman first episode will air like the day after the final attack on titan episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that movie tickets go on sale today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anyone see the movie yet?