Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If they accept a statement for their vote then its not a great look or bargain

Yeah, I don't know how you can look back at the past 20+ years and think "Yeah, this verbal agreement will totally hold."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

As has been pointed out elsewhere, those things can also be crimes.txt for certain folks.

"pics or it didn't happen" of others' activism is a really childish attempt at a power move.

"Admit before the court of somethingawful that you advocate violence and terrorism" is even dumber.

Constantly edging up to the line of advocating violence and then acting like you don't know what anyone is talking about when called out is even dumber yet.

"I can't admit to activism on somethingawful or I'll be arrested!" is just altogether melodramatically self-important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PeykaclVaA

I don't really hold anyone to any standard of "did they walk the walk or not" because we all have our private concerns and that's not really the litmus test for whether you win at debate club in the holy USNews thread, center of the great political thinkers of our time.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The progressive caucus is forming a national assembly to stop the Jeffersonian planters

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Even if there's a cave by the Progressives, maybe it's as far as it can go. The Dems aren't going to arm twist the moderates/centrists.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember when New York seemed to be on the cusp of passing some voting reform that would lock in absentee ballots, same-day registration, gerrymandering protection, and a few other things? Turns out it didn't happen because Republicans campaigned hard against it, but only upstate, so the Democratic strategists and leaders in NYC didn't notice.

quote:

A report from Ad Impact, a data analytics firm that tracks political spending, which captures only the media ad buys, shows the NYS Conservative party spent more than $2 million in markets outside New York City, where ad time is also cheaper, compared to just half a million dollars in the city and its vicinity.

The direct result was rallying voters upstate where the ballot measures lost by greater numbers while at the same time flying more under the radar in the city where the opposition could have energized supporters of the initiatives. All three initiatives passed in the city, but by smaller margins than they were defeated in other parts of the state where the campaign was active, based on the unofficial results posted by the New York State Board of Elections.

NY is still safely blue since nothing changed, but there's a lot of egg on a lot of faces here. Thanks to procedural bullshit the next shot at this is in 2023.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 6, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CNN says they're voting on the infrastructure bill in the house in 30-60 minutes? Did the progressive caucus cave?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't understand what Pelosi is doing. She's essentially allowing 6 lovely moderates to foul everything up and siding with them rather than the much larger contingent of Progressives who have been the ones supporting Biden's agenda the whole time. Now the WH is trying to pressure the Progressives to cave, which is ludicrous.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand what Pelosi is doing. She's essentially allowing 6 lovely moderates to foul everything up and siding with them rather than the much larger contingent of Progressives who have been the ones supporting Biden's agenda the whole time. Now the WH is trying to pressure the Progressives to cave, which is ludicrous.

Why would people who preach regularly on how much they love Republicans side with progressives?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't get the sudden turn either. But I'm pretty pessimistic about it; I don't think that she would be putting it to a vote by itself if she didn't have good reason to think it's going to pass. Maybe the heightened pressure got some of the progressives to cave and she believes she can count on enough Republican votes to make up for the rest?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not even American, yet even I understand at this point that the Democratic party doesn't give a gently caress about progressives. It's simply a matter of tolerating them being part of it, to a degree.

It is so loving self-evident.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It makes perfect sense once you realize Pelosi fully agrees with and supports the moderates.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Damnit

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1456791933951647745

https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1456785622123827201

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 6, 2021

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Atahualpa posted:

I don't get the sudden turn either. But I'm pretty pessimistic about it; I don't think that she would be putting it to a vote by itself if she didn't have good reason to think it's going to pass. Maybe the heightened pressure got some of the progressives to cave and she believes she can count on enough Republican votes to make up for the rest?

It could be that, or it could be that the whole "Pelosi talking to Senate holdouts" story from earlier in the week basically was her saying "look, we need you to pass the reconciliation bill or no one gets anything" and the vote now is just her showing the body so they hurry up and get a move on

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

It makes perfect sense once you realize Pelosi fully agrees with and supports the moderates.
I don't disagree, but on a pure numbers basis, trying to pressure the larger group is dumber

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I mean, if Gottheimer and Jayapal are talking face to face, this is it. You don't go one-on-one until its the final hour. She has not hosed around on this even once, so she's not just going to take a handshake and My Word Is My Bond. If he has anything that she can believe, he'll offer it, and then it'll be down to if she thinks she can trust him or not. Either she'll decide she believes him, or she'll decide she can't and we'll get to see just how much she has her caucus united.

Politics doesn't get more high stakes than this. These are the moments when you find out what the people you elected are made of, one way or the other.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Here's a take nobody is going to like but I ain't wrong. Manchin and Sinema and the moderates are just poo poo enough to not care if they gently caress both bills. They'll stall till the midterms and frame it as the progressives fault and not give a solitary gently caress. this the progressives and the president getting a potato in the hopes of getting SOMETHING as a win because those motherfuckers just do not care if it all burns down.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

MSNBC is literally playing out the entirety of Colin Powells funeral lol what a demon evil country

After the humiliating electoral showing the Democrats had this week and the source for the Steele Dossier being arrested for lying to the FBI about it, the pathetic hacks at MSNBC are surely desperate to cover something, anything else, and Powell was mildly critical of Trump once, so he’s perfect for that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Luv 2 give up my only leverage for a contingent non binding promise nominally based on a budget analysis of a bill that never would have become law because it hasn't been through the senate yet. Luckily the people making the promise don't actually care how the report comes out it's just a cynical maneuver to get their way, it makes it seem less absurd that way.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 6, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Going to lol if the progressives go for it. Going to lmao at what is then done to BBB.

This is inspired by post below but I'm just remembering that no promises made to Jayapal are enforceable on the Senate.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 6, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

Luv 2 give up my only leverage for a contingent non binding promise nominally based on a budget analysis of a bill that never would have become law because it hasn't been through the senate yet. Luckily the people making the promise don't actually care how the report comes out it's just a cynical maneuver to get their way, it makes it seem less absurd that way.
I definitely don't trust Gottheimer, and I doubt that this deal involves Sinema/Manchin, so the Senate could still gently caress this up

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wheeljack posted:

After the humiliating electoral showing the Democrats had this week and the source for the Steele Dossier being arrested for lying to the FBI about it, the pathetic hacks at MSNBC are surely desperate to cover something, anything else, and Powell was mildly critical of Trump once, so he’s perfect for that.

Mildly? Openly admitted he left the Republican Party under Trump and Republicans nowadays consider him a traitor or dismiss him as just old.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
So I unintentionally started a scuffle earlier when I was talking about the impact of student loan forgiveness by demographics and whatnot as a reaction to people complaining about non-universal policies, but to come full circle, this would be the one way that Biden could realistically deploy that EO without the issues on 2022 that I was laying out. If Jayapal gets the White House to agree to do the $10K forgiveness, paired with the childcare provisions and community college grants in the recon bill, that would be the most reasonable way to hit a big cross-section of voters at once and let everyone feel like they got their way - Manchin can pass the shittier version of the recon bill, the house progressives can let the house moderates have a "win", and then Biden can do loan forgiveness and the moderates can run away from it in the midterms if they want to since they won't have their names on it.

Will things actually come together in this ridiculous West Wing way? Probably not, but it would be the fairest compromise if any of the individuals cared about anything other than their own personal re-election

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Time to find out where the cards lay

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1456797286906974208

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

Going to lol if the progressives go for it. Going to lmao at what is then done to BBB.

This is inspired by post below but I'm just remembering that no promises made to Jayapal are enforceable on the Senate.

But it's assured! Just like how before it was assured they would only go in at the same time so this exact situation wouldn't happen lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lemming posted:

But it's assured! Just like how before it was assured they would only go in at the same time so this exact situation wouldn't happen lmao
Yeah this is why I don't think you can trust any deals that aren't binding, after you have given up your leverage

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's pretty much over at this point I think. Oh well. Things will continue to sludge on and then when the mid terms come they'll continue to blame the Progressives for their losses.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Here's a take nobody is going to like but I ain't wrong. Manchin and Sinema and the moderates are just poo poo enough to not care if they gently caress both bills. They'll stall till the midterms and frame it as the progressives fault and not give a solitary gently caress. this the progressives and the president getting a potato in the hopes of getting SOMETHING as a win because those motherfuckers just do not care if it all burns down.

Everyone's allowed their fanfic, but in a midterm wave election, moderates get slaughtered first because they're all in purple states, and they know this. It's also clear to everyone that the cause of their ills so far is nothing to campaign on.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Everyone's allowed their fanfic, but in a midterm wave election, moderates get slaughtered first because they're all in purple states, and they know this. It's also clear to everyone that the cause of their ills so far is nothing to campaign on.

I think the issue is that Manchin is likely not running for Senate again and Sinema isn't up until 2024, so they both have more rope than the house progressives who are up in 2022

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Is there a chance the moderates will vote for the BBB bill tonight without the CBO report, is that the deal Jayapal got in exchange for the Progressive vote on the BIF bill?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Build Back Better Bill is so dead

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this is why I don't think you can trust any deals that aren't binding, after you have given up your leverage

In fact it's the whole point of splitting off the highway bill in the first place! It's the whole reason there's any jockeying at all, and it's insane levels of kabuki for any of the legislators involved pretend otherwise. What good is a loving pinky swear from someone who has spent months engineering a way to gently caress you over that they won't gently caress you over if you go along with their plan lmao

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Either the progressives cave and the slow march towards fascism continues or they show backbone and Pelosi nuked the party.

In the end, it should be clear to anyone that voting for the Democratic Party isn’t harm reduction.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Either the progressives cave and the slow march towards fascism continues or they show backbone and Pelosi nuked the party.

In the end, it should be clear to anyone that voting for the Democratic Party isn’t harm reduction.

Not sure how the bill failing would nuke the party - they can bring it back up for a vote later still, and most people won't know anything about the bill failing if it ends up passing before the end of the year

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Mildly? Openly admitted he left the Republican Party under Trump and Republicans nowadays consider him a traitor or dismiss him as just old.

Mildly for MSNBC.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I'm assuming one minute = whatever, is because congress only has one official recognized watch made a few hundred years ago, and the key to wind it has been long lost, or some other such arcane bullshit (although that sounds slightly more like a British thing)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

House just went into recess subject to the call of the chair. Looks like both cars hit the brakes in this chicken game, at least for the moment.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I'm assuming one minute = whatever, is because congress only has one official recognized watch made a few hundred years ago, and the key to wind it has been long lost, or some other such arcane bullshit (although that sounds slightly more like a British thing)

I think it's that she's the timekeeper.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

House just went into recess subject to the call of the chair. Looks like both cars hit the brakes in this chicken game, at least for the moment.

What does this mean exactly?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

It's maddeningly frustrating that these "moderates" are so god damned set on keeping us from doing good things. The saga continues...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Wheeljack posted:

What's this about the Steele dossier? I must have missed that