Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

obama i think did something similar and they pocketed all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yes. There was absolutely zero punishment for it too and I don't know of any reason it won't just happen again lmao

Yeah I remember that fondly, it was a real "whoopsie" moment.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

General Bullshit posted:

I don't even know what is in any of these bills except tax cuts and tax credits.

The infrastructure bill has a bunch of infrastructure funding that on its own is nice but ultimately will probably not be noticeable to most Americans. Maybe the most significant thing in it is funding to try repair the damage to neighborhoods that got cut in half by highway construction, which are mostly black neighborhoods cuz racism. But who knows how much the actual end result will actually help those communities and reverse any of that damage. The bottom line is its gonna increase the deficit without making noticeable improvements to most American's lives even though on its own it will help improve some things. People don't think about bridge maintenance when they're struggling to pay for daycare so both parents can make ends meet by both working, for example.

So then it will become yet more fodder for right wing arguments that government spending is bad because the deficit number go up and most people won't notice what all that money paid for.

Also that's not getting into the fact that the infrastructure bill should have been used to set up infrastructure that will help with regards to climate change and reducing emissions but that part of it was probably almost completely gutted and turned into EV tax credits that won't help the average American pay for an EV and won't change the fact that our electrical production is about as filthy as burning gas in an IC engine

Mrs. Dash has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Nov 6, 2021

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
*extremely Kimberly Guilfoyle-ishly*

https://mobile.twitter.com/PramilaJayapal/status/1456830701299552257

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lol :cripes:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i remember reading some article that even the funding for roads/electrical etc is pathetically low for whats actually needed. not to mention there's no enforcement for whether these things happen or the companies just pocket all of it or most of it.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

:aochloe:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

sad to see them cucked and plucked

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mrs. Dash posted:

The infrastructure bill has a bunch of infrastructure funding that on its own is nice but ultimately will probably not be noticeable to most Americans. Maybe the most significant thing in it is funding to try repair the damage to neighborhoods that got cut in half by highway construction, which are mostly black neighborhoods cuz racism. But who knows how much the actual end result will actually help those communities and reverse any of that damage. The bottom line is its gonna increase the deficit without making noticeable improvements to most American's lives even though on its own it will help improve some things. People don't think about bridge maintenance when they're struggling to pay for daycare so both parents can make ends meet by both working, for example.

So then it will become yet more fodder for right wing arguments that government spending is bad because the deficit number go up and most people won't notice what all that money paid for.

Unless the poo poo I read earlier about how the funds are divvied up is out of date, the amount allocated for the highway-split neighborhoods was like a billion dollars total for the whole country. I'm not a civil engineer but that seems like... not enough

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

mistermojo posted:

sad to see them cucked and plucked

It owns, actually

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ram dass in hell posted:

It owns, actually

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mrs. Dash posted:

Also that's not getting into the fact that the infrastructure bill should have been used to set up infrastructure that will help with regards to climate change and reducing emissions but that part of it was probably almost completely gutted and turned into EV tax credits that won't help the average American pay for an EV and won't change the fact that our electrical production is about as filthy as burning gas in an IC engine

the communities that see the highways removed will be ripe for gentrification. struggling neighborhoods will largely go unchanged.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

I think none of us ever fathomed how loving sadistic Manchin would get when given even a taste of power.

He's still the world's biggest pussy, it's just that no one has put any weight on him at all. If Biden or Schumer or pelosi threatened him even a little he would fold hard, but they're puffing him up instead because they want this poo poo to fail

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pramila Jayacucked

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pramila Cuckedapal

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the democrats and joe biden don't understand the assignment :o:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lmao the CPC are the biggest losers in politics just fantastic

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1456829547257683969?t=1BFjK9RIRxULT_iZqnTMZg&s=19

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

hahaHahaha

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HallelujahLee posted:

i remember reading some article that even the funding for roads/electrical etc is pathetically low for whats actually needed. not to mention there's no enforcement for whether these things happen or the companies just pocket all of it or most of it.

most of the appropriations are through existing federal grant mechanisms which do have a decent amount of oversight, so it's not just an openly corrupt handout to contractors. there's always a ton of nonsense grift with these things but most of it will end up translated into real construction and R&D

So it's not really a bad bill, the problem is that it's comically insufficient so people will not notice any effects from it, won't believe any of the effects came from the federal government, and the direct human aid all comes from the bill that was supposed to be paired with this one so that all the direct human aid wasn't eviscerated before it got to Biden's desk

OOPSIE DOODLE!!!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
ryan grimm is the dumbest motherfucker alive and i wish he would go away.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lmao
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1456837884800028672

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
big news for bipartisanship!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

most of the appropriations are through existing federal grant mechanisms which do have a decent amount of oversight, so it's not just an openly corrupt handout to contractors. there's always a ton of nonsense grift with these things but most of it will end up translated into real construction and R&D

So it's not really a bad bill, the problem is that it's comically insufficient so people will not notice any effects from it, won't believe any of the effects came from the federal government, and the direct human aid all comes from the bill that was supposed to be paired with this one so that all the direct human aid wasn't eviscerated before it got to Biden's desk

OOPSIE DOODLE!!!

i think the dems are going to get owned in 2022 and this comical bill will only accelerate it, i wasent aware of the grand mechanisms but im assuming that the broadband portion isnt included in those mechanisms.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

big news for bipartisanship!

Ol' Joe's still got it!

Pick must be so proud.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lmfao

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ghislaine's still doing work from her jail cell? :thunk:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is the kid for the celebratory adrenochrome tasting

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I want the ccp!

Mom: we have the ccp at home

The ccp at home:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ghislaine's still doing work from her jail cell? :thunk:

She's an essential worker.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
love to trade my votes for

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
pathetic

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Wow that sounds a lot like forcing a vote

Bold new strategy from pelosi

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jesus Christ

Rename the white house Neverland Ranch

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HallelujahLee posted:

i think the dems are going to get owned in 2022 and this comical bill will only accelerate it, i wasent aware of the grand mechanisms but im assuming that the broadband portion isnt included in those mechanisms.

it is, administered by the NTIA, but there aren't exactly a lot of players in the broadband game, and we all know what their general response to regulation has been, they are sufficiently powerful to take the money and tell the feds to get hosed

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Great look for the midterms when your signature bill just dies without fanfare

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

it is, administered by the NTIA, but there aren't exactly a lot of players in the broadband game, and we all know what their general response to regulation has been, they are sufficiently powerful to take the money and tell the feds to get hosed
lol amazing

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lmao

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Why do I feel like the passage of this will be forgotten in two weeks and Biden’s approvals won’t change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Raccooon posted:

Why do I feel like the passage of this will be forgotten in two weeks and Biden’s approvals won’t change.

More doomerism, enjoy your ramp btich