Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Random question- what's a good number of puzzles for a puzzle game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

haveblue posted:

a lot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
alternatively, be Riven and have two puzzles total which span the entire breadth of the game

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They're 2 very good puzzles though

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

https://i.imgur.com/btHVvSG.mp4

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what's the best way to play Riven now? my girlfriend and I played the recent Myst remake together and had a great time, I'd love to have more of that to share with her

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what's the best way to play Riven now? my girlfriend and I played the recent Myst remake together and had a great time, I'd love to have more of that to share with her

it's $6 on Steam

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

it's $6 on Steam

sure, but is it a cumbersome early '90s release or like a newer version

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.gog.com/game/riven_the_sequel_to_myst

Riven on GOG says that their release uses ScummVM, so I guess that means even if the Steam release is just the original files with no compatibility patches, you can always use ScummVM to make it compatible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

giogadi posted:

Oooooooo that makes sense. Especially if the Japanese series is actually named that. It’s funny that they chose to keep that for the English versions

In the actual text of the games within the cases they use the more realistic sounding phrase "turn things about" as a throughline of the whole series where Phoenix needs to look at things from a different angle to finally understand the truth. They just kept Turnabout as a nod to the original title and to give the cases all cute little names.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Am I the only person in this thread who knows the phrase turnabout is fair play? Turnabout is an english word

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

Am I the only person in this thread who knows the phrase turnabout is fair play? Turnabout is an english word

no and iv e been havign an out of body experience reading these posts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's surprising they never used that for a case name.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

somewhere between 10 and 1/10th as many as are in the witness, a game with too many puzzles

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of turnabouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpfBnMmpQsE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

speaking of turnabouts but good instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYN6ZWws4M

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Barudak posted:

Really sad we never got a county fair-based case with that as the name

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shinjobi posted:

Really sad we never got a county fair-based case with that as the name

I would have used it for a golf-based murder case

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

so which team is everyone rooting for, in the hololive sports festival today that everyone itt is definitely watching. I'm all in on white team, even though their showing in the first round was, poor

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

so which team is everyone rooting for, in the hololive sports festival today that everyone itt is definitely watching. I'm all in on white team, even though their showing in the first round was, poor

uhh... the one on the left

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

The new York millennials, they're playing right

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

welcome, fellow white team supporter. i'm sure you're just as excited as i am, that they won the ball game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

welcome, fellow white team supporter. i'm sure you're just as excited as i am, that they won the ball game

:toot:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
red team 4 life

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqeErGMoHII

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

homeless snail posted:

Pfft they're no blue team

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the red light/green light round has been extremely controversial and revealed deep corruption within the hololive sportsfes authority. that said, lets go white team

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Horrifying

https://i.imgur.com/MJG3HOx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ebXgZrC.mp4

:stare:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Made more progress in FFVII last night and learned a TON more things that are slowly bringing things into focus. Got some more theories too!

OK Last night went to Corel and saw Barret get punched in the face and learned about what happened to Corel. Also beat the Turks, focused on Reno and luckily got a cool Aerith weapon (someone told me you only get it if you beat Reno first - I just remembered the church fight from the remake and wanted to take him down) then grabbed a summon materia from the broken reactor. I also got asked about Zach and Aerith confirmed that Zach was her first boyfriend and a level one SOLDIER. (I made Cloud a little jealous hehe). Cloud did not know Zach though, which is weird because at the end of FFVIIremake there is a cutscene where Zach is helping Cloud (who is half dead) get back to Midgar and promising they would be OK. I wonder if the same thing that happened to him back when he was fighting Sephiroth in Nibelheim wiped the Zach part of his memory too. Though why something would wipe out an entire person and a whole event that should lead to yours and Tifa's death is weird. Maybe there are more patches in the memory I have yet to come across. I do wonder what that all means.

Then in Gold Saucer I met Dyne and discovered that Barret is SO protective of Marlene and the Best Dad because he feels guilt at what happened in Corel all those years ago and he is trying to be the best surrogate ever. (And succeeding, he is the Best Dad.) Dyne and he had a tough battle but thanks to FFVIIRemake and being able to get to grips with turn based stuff I feel way more confident about when to heal and when to attack and whatnot.

Then I went over to Cosmo Canyon (which has some of the all time best music in the game ever) and discovered the secret of Nanaki and Seto and man that hit hard. Was not expecting to get so emotional over it. :smith:

Now I am back in fake Nibelheim with all the dude in robes and the fake townspeople - about to try going to the mansion (Sunday!)

And it turns out fake Nibelheim is a front for Hojo's clone facilities! And this is where I think that every robed dude with tattoos are Sephiroth clones that do not properly work and this is why (in the remake) he can bounce between them and posess them and be in so many places at once. I think they were created in the Nibelheim pods that were laid out in front of the reactor.

Also what Gast said (according to Bugenhagen) that Jenova is NOT an ancient and the promised land is not technically a place you can go but a place ancients go upon death. There is STILL so much intrigue and mystery.

I am having a whale of a time. Just adoring this. It 100% holds up (as someone with no nostagia at all for it) and keeps making me yearn for Remake Part II. Some of these moments undertaken by the team who did the first remake are going to be astonishing. :D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cosmo Canyon theme is a bop :hai:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

289 to 280 going into the final event, you love to see it sports fans

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it was a 300-300 tie btw. the whole sports festival was a work

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

homeless snail posted:

it was a 300-300 tie btw. the whole sports festival was a work

Been saying vtubers are wrestlers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wrestling can be entertaining tho

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dead Space:

I made it back to the crew deck and there's loads of dead bodies and candles like a cult sacrifice and I can hear whispers and a little girl singing and ugh it's too creepy :gonk:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Very generous of the XIV crew to delay Endwalker for two weeks to give me more time with SMTV

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm afraid of playing my capitalism game because I think a recession is coming. Truly, this is what the riche feel when they've gouged us all for a decade.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Help Im Alive posted:

Very generous of the XIV crew to delay Endwalker for two weeks to give me more time with SMTV

lol, my wife and I were just thinking this. She wanted more time with Pokemon Diamond/Pearl when it came out and I wanted more time with SMT V before we went diving into Endwalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it gives me time to play SMTV and also finish up this playthrough of FFXII I'm doing with the Struggle for Freedom mod. The delay works out perfectly for me.

I feel bad for all the people who booked PTO and can't get it rescheduled, though. I sometimes rant about how booking PTO for game releases is risky but thinking about it more I can't blame people for being excited and trusting the launch will be on time and stable, since FFXIV has a pretty good track record for that.