Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i left the door open while going to the bathroom this morning and Mayo lands on my head while I'm sittin' on the toilet ol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Come on thread!

https://i.imgur.com/UuHWtUm.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/PuHoQD6.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 6, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If I grew up to be a hyacinth macaw, I would be ok with it

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I was out on my balcony eating almonds the other day and a cockatoo came by. I held out an almond, and he very much on purpose went for my finger that was right next to the almond.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This thread has been too quiet lately. Y'all need to come out from the discord once in a blue moon!

Serra might finally be getting into the concept that if she can stay on top of her (NEW!) cage, she gets a lot more time outside.

This was taken after fifteen minutes of spreading her wings and squeaking at the cage, asserting her majestic dominance.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Today I visited the pet shop to get some more insectivore mix for my magpie friends. The shop is on the second floor of a multi-storey shopping centre, and the little blue boy is in this cage because he learned how to squeeze out of his previous one and flew up to the fourth floor of the atrium
https://i.imgur.com/Vj4tBCb.mp4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I want blue houdini.

Pesto was able to do that when he was an ever so slightly smaller bird. Erm, well, we all already know about Pesto and his penchant for escape.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

If I grew up to be a hyacinth macaw, I would be ok with it

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Patrovsky posted:

I was out on my balcony eating almonds the other day and a cockatoo came by. I held out an almond, and he very much on purpose went for my finger that was right next to the almond.

Obviously, your finger has more protein.

https://i.imgur.com/N991kCh.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/AEqMtYF.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 8, 2021

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I engraved/scribed some aluminum, then put artist ink over it to make a rendition of Peanut and Pinto for Ms Cookies's birthday this week. Pretty happy with how it came out so far

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rotten Cookies posted:

I engraved/scribed some aluminum, then put artist ink over it to make a rendition of Peanut and Pinto for Ms Cookies's birthday this week. Pretty happy with how it came out so far

Aww, those are some adorable AlumiBirbs!

Question - Due to some condo owning fuckery, it looks like we are going to be transitioning away from using our central heat and air. This will only be an issue in the bedrooms, one of which were Serra sleeps.

I've done a bunch of reading about best bird safe space heaters. But not a single specific model or brand has been mentioned.

What are y'alls thoughts on it? Bonus points for links to a product! :derptiel:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you need electric heating, an oil filled electric heater (radiator) should be quite safe. The electric heating element heats oil enclosed in a metal radiator, the warm oil heats the metal, and the metal radiates heat into the air. This may be overall slower than a fan heater, but it won't have burning hot exposed parts, won't be blowing air around, and won't have any Teflon coatings or similar.

Another option, if you can get it, might be a heat pump, effectively an AC unit that can also move heat into the room instead of only out of it. Heat pumps should be the most energy efficient way of electric heating, but the unit can be rather expensive, and installation requires an external heat exchanger, which might be a problem depending on your local rules.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you're going to be going away from using the central AC, are you going to be getting a window/standalone unit for the bedrooms? If you are, almost every one of them will have a heat mode, because a window AC is basically just a heat pump and they can run either way.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Oh, I love it!

Captain Log posted:

Aww, those are some adorable AlumiBirbs!

Question - Due to some condo owning fuckery, it looks like we are going to be transitioning away from using our central heat and air. This will only be an issue in the bedrooms, one of which were Serra sleeps.

I've done a bunch of reading about best bird safe space heaters. But not a single specific model or brand has been mentioned.

What are y'alls thoughts on it? Bonus points for links to a product! :derptiel:

I can definitely say that those portable oil radiators are pretty great.

I know nothing of AC because that's technically still a luxury in this part of the world, while heat is a necessity, though last summer made a very strong argument against that continuing to be true. I had never experienced temperatures above 40 C in my life!!! I might need to look at getting a portable AC myself.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The one thing I worry about is something hot to the touch. Serra isn't the best flyer in the universe, so I worry about her managing to bumble into something.

Also, when I read "oil" I think about a fire hazard. Are they riskier than electric alternatives?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

The one thing I worry about is something hot to the touch. Serra isn't the best flyer in the universe, so I worry about her managing to bumble into something.

Also, when I read "oil" I think about a fire hazard. Are they riskier than electric alternatives?

Not really. It's not like crude oil, it's mineral oil or something like that. It's completely sealed in metal and convection carries heat from an element through the liquid oil and to the metal. In many ways it's safer because the hot stuff can't possibly contact anything flammable or heat to ignition, unlike electric elements

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, you definitely won't get a burn touching one. It'll be warm, and uncomfortable to touch for more than 10 seconds or so. I'd imagine a bird landing on it would quickly decide it's best to get away again, but won't get any burns.

The point of the oil sealed inside the radiator is to separate the heating element from the outside, while also carrying and spreading the heat well over the entire unit. It's not something you'll be refilling or replacing at all.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

They're warm to the touch and should be kept away from curtains and stuff, but generally they won't burn you if you bump into them. Like maybe touching the outside of an oven that's on. I've definitely touched them as a kid. LThe oil is enclosed and it's not really a particular fire hazard. Safety shut offs are standard. They don't burn oil, just use it to conduct heat.

They look like this though I'll admit I have no idea if that one is particularly great.

I will say they can be rather heavy, but that's why they have wheels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Our HVAC is broken, and because of the Cursed Supply Chain we may have no heat until Christmas or after. I've been keeping the living room warm with an electric heater I bought from Tractor Supply. Fortunately we have a wood stove, too, so we've been burning a lot of firewood (and I replaced the fire/carbon monoxide alarms).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Halloween Jack posted:

Our HVAC is broken, and because of the Cursed Supply Chain we may have no heat until Christmas or after. I've been keeping the living room warm with an electric heater I bought from Tractor Supply. Fortunately we have a wood stove, too, so we've been burning a lot of firewood (and I replaced the fire/carbon monoxide alarms).

Oof. I admit the house is missing our pellet stove right now with gas prices spiking up yet again, yeah. :negative: Hopefully you can get a lucky break with the stuff to fix it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That does sound like too hot a spot to perch.

Mayo likes to perch on the shower pipe in the morning. It gets toasty but not too-toasty, just enough to warm her bird toes up.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

That does sound like too hot a spot to perch.

Mayo likes to perch on the shower pipe in the morning. It gets toasty but not too-toasty, just enough to warm her bird toes up.

I had to move the modem because the birds kept sitting on it on cold mornings.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Here I was, literally thinking the oil was something that had to be maintained like a loving lamp.

God, I'm thick.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Not as thick as your bird! :orb:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I buy boxes of seed for the sparrows and doves (and lately the pigeons) that come to my back yard and the last box had a free sample honey-and-seed treat in it, which I fished out and left on the table. An hour or so later I see it off the table and dragged off to the edge of the bushes (presumably by a dove) but now claimed by one sparrow who is fighting off all the other sparrows even though the treat weighs more than she does :3:

I love sparrows.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have learned just now that Sera and Ozzy really like clay cracking asmr videos.

What on earth.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad's obnoxious if I wash dishes in the morning but only until my SO comes out to the living room for the first time. Then I can make all the clatter I want and he'll just sit and preen. "Roll call! ROLL CALL! How can you be so CALM while a flock member IS MISSING?!?!?! ...ah there she is. Carry on."

Not like this doesn't happen every single day bird bro...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hi birb thread. We have a lot of dry dog food and no dogs in our apartment. There are a lot of local crows though. Is it cool to smash up the dog food in a plastic baggie or something into crow-throat-sized morsels and feed them? I want to befriend them but don’t want to hurt them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm no expert, but we fed a local crow family with wet dog for for years and they thrived on it. Can't see how dry dog food in small pieces could hurt?
(I'm talking about corvids just in case you're talking about aussie crows)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Crows seem to like dog food in my experience, either freely given or stolen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I believe they prefer stolen because then they get fed AND piss off some dumb dogs, which can only be a win for crows. Unless they are friends with the dogs, then its bad. In my experience, crows are very loyal and have extremely good memories.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Australian crows and ravens are corvids, it's just Australian magpies (and related birds like currawongs) that aren't

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
hello fren have you heard the good news?

news is gib me seeb

gib it

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can still see her feet - needs more seed

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hi birb thread. We have a lot of dry dog food and no dogs in our apartment. There are a lot of local crows though. Is it cool to smash up the dog food in a plastic baggie or something into crow-throat-sized morsels and feed them? I want to befriend them but don’t want to hurt them.

Make you some Crow friends.

They are the best.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

that's right thread, you just got MAYO'D

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I prefer miracle whip myself

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Oooh, Miracle Whip (Whippy or Whippit as a nickname) is definitely on my list of names for any future white budgerigars in my life.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So, against his better judgement, my brother patted Pookie a little after she bit him years ago. She was very very happy about the interaction, but its impossible to tell whether she's happy about extra chances to bite him or happy he wants to be friends.
I love her dearly, as does she me, but she can be an absolute arse when it comes to being mean and manipulative.
She's a sweet girl to those she loves, but she adores biting The Enemy. And she's very flexible about who The Enemy is/are.
And she always looks so sweet, its terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I mean did she bite him this time?