Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Free Beta Key:

G4CZ2-85J5G-LAKLL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Scoss posted:

-I feel people must be deliberately underplaying how crummy the leveling content is. There is some real "collect 8 bear asses" and "click this doodad then talk to this guy" quest design going on here. The first few zones are incredibly linear and are essentially just long corridors. The game has successfully trained me that there is no point in exploring or doing anything at all that the main quest didn't lead me to by the nose. I really hope the later zones and endgame content open up a bit more into something slightly more sandboxy.
Leveling is unbelievably bad. You around pressing the same two buttons & it doesn't highlight the game's combat all. I think I complained about it in this thread before. The upside is you only spend like 12 hours leveling.

I didn't play the Amazon version yet but I played RU. Waiting for actual release to play.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Khorne posted:

Leveling is unbelievably bad. You around pressing the same two buttons & it doesn't highlight the game's combat all. I think I complained about it in this thread before. The upside is you only spend like 12 hours leveling.

I didn't play the Amazon version yet but I played RU. Waiting for actual release to play.

Really? I feel like it took me about an hour to go from 10 to 11 and I play these games pretty fast.

Does it rapidly ramp up, or was I doing something wrong?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Aerox posted:

Really? I feel like it took me about an hour to go from 10 to 11 and I play these games pretty fast.

I had the exact same feeling. going 10->11 took forever, but getting 11->13 was much much faster.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aerox posted:

It might be closer to 20 hours on the first character especially if you chill and explore the game a bit.

My main complaint was they designed cool classes and cool combat and you don't really get to do it while leveling. Instead you have to do a generic MMO leveling experience which is a bizarre choice for a game that could have had a more diablo-like leveling experience.

After leveling I liked the game a lot. And it's not like leveling is bad or anything. I just have no patience for that specific kind of mmo leveling anymore.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

What is max level?

Also I really don't understand the point of auto attacks they may as well be disabled for how useless they are.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Also I really don't understand the point of auto attacks they may as well be disabled for how useless they are.

counterpoint: as gunslinger, for the 3-4 hours I've played, through the first dungeon, I've never once had to use a single skill.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

I had the exact same feeling. going 10->11 took forever, but getting 11->13 was much much faster.

The prologue grants zero experience so it makes 10 feel really long.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

counterpoint: as gunslinger, for the 3-4 hours I've played, through the first dungeon, I've never once had to use a single skill.

I also played a gunslinger to 14 so far and I have to say you can wipe entire packs in about 3 seconds using just 2 skills. The auto attack seems so pitiful, takes forever in comparison. I am using pistols though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I definitely havent found the levelling any worse than say Path of Exile, and having a little dungeon so early on is neat

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
The leveling did feel bad and seems like a chore, the dungeon was way too easy and the whole rapport thing seems to be a hassle.

But endgame does look cool, I just don't know if I am willing to level up enough to actually get there.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Maybe my long exposure to WoW has totally broken my brain but I don’t find leveling that bad. It’s an MMO so I expect a fair amount of rote questing but it’s nicely broken up by dungeons. Also, while the story is really generic it’s broken up by some decent set pieces.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Ochowie posted:

Maybe my long exposure to WoW has totally broken my brain but I don’t find leveling that bad. It’s an MMO so I expect a fair amount of rote questing but it’s nicely broken up by dungeons. Also, while the story is really generic it’s broken up by some decent set pieces.

Why leveling must always be a chore? Well nvm.
Morai Ruins (lv19 dungeon) on hard mode was actually hard and the set pieces were cool. Is it like the first FF14 trial? Where you get spoonfed the first drops of real gameplay?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Around lvl 20 or so I feel like I can start seeing how the combat and pvp can be good, but yeah good god is the lvling bad.

If this did not have hype and youtube to show pvp/endgame content being good i would have uninstalled after about an hour. Otoh the dungeons are enjoyable mainly because the combat is crisp and honestly thats about 90% of whats important.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

I definitely havent found the levelling any worse than say Path of Exile, and having a little dungeon so early on is neat

The best way to go into Lost ARK Online is to think of it as more of a traditional action MMORPG, than something like Diablo or Path of Exile. They for sure have their similarities in how they play, but I think Lost ARK puts the MMORPG part first.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Aerox posted:

Only do orange quests. Ignore yellows

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I am level 27 and all the overworld stuff has been pretty braindead but also pretty fast if you just skip all the lore and don't read anything. Any time I have gotten to group up with people for a hard dungeon its been a lot of fun. The Morai Dungeon was way cooler than any of the previous dungeons and you do it around level 19 or 20 I think.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Argh, I was really hoping for just wall-to-wall sweet combat, but I gotta agree with most that it's a bummer to go through this braindead tedious leveling and story minituia before getting some proper action. Same ol' story I suppose: Vindictus, Tera, Blade & Soul and all the other games I've played, despite having interesting stylish combat, seem hellbent on hiding it away for so long instead of making it the focus. Why don't they learn? Why hide the best part away? I think DFO is the only game that got it somewhat right by just letting you go wild in dungeons for the vast majority. At least I did appreciate the little demo room in this where you can experiment with classes in their final version, and I'm glad to see the advice on how to get to the good stuff fast.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm terribly inefficient even with only doing main quests and emergency quests but also turbogrinded since getting out of work for the weekend and am at the border of level 41/42 at 15 hours clocked, expecting to take 20ish or so to hit 50. I think 14-15 hours to max is probably too fast unless you know exactly what you're doing, but it's definitely not THAT far off as a goalpost.

EDIT: Made a guild since Una people were debating that and for added alliterative appeal assigned Awful Arkesia as appropriate. Let me know if anybody wants an invite for like the 2 days of endgame content we'll see.

DOUBLE EDIT: Apparently I can't make anybody else able to invite people for 2 days, but I can set up an automatic password system - type in goons for automatic entry when you apply.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 7, 2021

Elroy Jetson
Sep 25, 2021

Don't ping me.

This game is rad and I can't wait for release. I appreciate how much they have made account bound so you aren't punished for using alts, I definitely see myself going full completionist.

Also maybe I'm weird but I don't really mind the leveling? I think it's fine and a good way for me to get used to my class.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Pretty bummed with the lack of Oceanic servers with this one, especially after playing a dozen or so hours in this beta. The game is loving great and 200 ish ping is still playable, but it still hurts to dodge out of and then be pulled back into a boss aoe in 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing the crap out of this. We've gotten a chance to do all the content up to the 460 caps. The current take away is that the encounters tend to be some flavor of excellent resting on a strong foundation of class that is pretty fun and interesting, with some super fun presentation. This would be a winning formula if not for literally every thing else being some flavor of 'bad'.

I can get over how terrible the leveling is, and I can get over how tedious some of the rituals you have to do once are, but the real problems I see are how gear works, how rewards work (and how that intersects with the need for alts), and then the real stinker that pollutes the entire experience: How easy it is to convert USD into player power.

Very briefly, alts are required to farm effectively over time. USD can be used to buy highly sought after jewelry, and more crafting mats. Money smoothes out the rough edges so much.

I'm aware that the shop as it is today will not be what it launches wuth, and I'm not counting the monthly premium services against it. It's still very concerning.

Whether or not I play retail is tbd, but it's non encounter /class systems are doing this game a huge disservice.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I hit 35ish and got anxiety with the 300 types of currency in the game. Why can't everything just be gold? Why does it need to be gold and gems and silver and pirate coins? Oh and the 4 flavors of medals that can be swapped into other medals and here's some hearts that can be converted to other things etc etc. This feels like a mobile game way more than anything else.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is there a way to let left click both move and auto attack? I'm too used to Diablo and when I smashed all my abilities I find myself just running into mobs instead of doing anything. :v:

Also this story is awful and the game would literally be massively improved if it was just kill 100 mobs per quest or something.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Eimi posted:

Is there a way to let left click both move and auto attack? I'm too used to Diablo and when I smashed all my abilities I find myself just running into mobs instead of doing anything. :v:

Also this story is awful and the game would literally be massively improved if it was just kill 100 mobs per quest or something.

I think the story gets better as you get into the late 20's and beyond. It's not a masterpiece but it's not awful.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zotix posted:

I think the story gets better as you get into the late 20's and beyond. It's not a masterpiece but it's not awful.

It’s one of the most Korean mmo beginnings I’ve ever seen, just full of weird powers and big titty goddesses and a double crossing evil guy with a crow. You gotta be in the mood for some weird to enjoy it fully, I think.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It’s one of the most Korean mmo beginnings I’ve ever seen, just full of weird powers and big titty goddesses and a double crossing evil guy with a crow. You gotta be in the mood for some weird to enjoy it fully, I think.

Don't forget the double crossing guy sucking demi gods up like the Ghostbusters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It could use more titty goddesses tbh

The father guy in the intro did remind me of Rezo The Red Priest, so I guess there's that..at least..

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The story so far seems to involve a lot of you dumpstering a boss without breaking a sweat, then suddenly it's a cutscene and you're struggling and Priest McGuffin shows up out of nowhere to save everybody.

I guess it's kind of expected for an MMO to have that sort of gameplay-story disconnect but seriously the exact same plot beat happens like three times in a row

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Jabor posted:

The story so far seems to involve a lot of you dumpstering a boss without breaking a sweat, then suddenly it's a cutscene and you're struggling and Priest McGuffin shows up out of nowhere to save everybody.

I guess it's kind of expected for an MMO to have that sort of gameplay-story disconnect but seriously the exact same plot beat happens like three times in a row

It changes

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The chat in Lost Ark is definitely an experience. I must have picked the wrong server or something because the chat last night was full of Spanish people doing racisms in Spanish and English. Let's just say that "remove kebab" was very much on the mild end.

Is there some kind of chat channel for less loving insane people on the EU servers?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

If you make a drinking out of counting up anime tropes, you'll be in the hospital before you hit level 20. The writing is atrocious. That's not to say other games are doing substantially better -- FFXIV is probably the standout example, and GW2 does...fine... but yeah, the story is super bad.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Made it to level 50 with my Deathblade! Got sidetracked along the way but mostly hit my original time target. Probably going to try some other classes now, just to see what they play like, but it's fun enough if kind of heavily dependent on positioning for maximum effectiveness.

I think you don't have to sidequest in Arthetine (desert tech land) to have the levels to keep going along the main story path any more, but I did it anyway for the first half to be better safe than sorry.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Are the classes in this game gender locked? No male caster or healer?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ither posted:

Are the classes in this game gender locked? No male caster or healer?
Paladin is a male healer.

They are working on coming out with two genders for each class. They have a roadmap for it and have already done it for a few classes in the korean version I think, but I'm going off memory here.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The chat in Lost Ark is definitely an experience. I must have picked the wrong server or something because the chat last night was full of Spanish people doing racisms in Spanish and English. Let's just say that "remove kebab" was very much on the mild end.

Is there some kind of chat channel for less loving insane people on the EU servers?

No, this is online gaming in 2021. Two nights ago Una was filled with Let's go Brandon bullshit.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Something about this game completely doesn't click with me. Characters and armor look ok, I don't mind the character creation, some of the class ideas sound fun, but the exact moment I get in control of my character I absolutely stop giving a poo poo.

It's weird because I don't normally bounce off games this hard.

Edit: Nevermind, looked up a video of late game boss fights. It's a flashy Diablo-like, a genre which generally doesn't click with me.

Willias fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 8, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Went and solo'd a "raid" boss (after trying out Berserker) just so I could see what level 50 nets you. Was pretty fun!

A little hard to see how the loot treadmill works, since everything I got from this guy is a sidegrade from the gear I got in Chaos Dungeons. I'm sure the upward progression would make itself more apparent if we weren't all resetting in 4 days anyway though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is progress getting wiped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is progress getting wiped

ayup