Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

who even asked for pioneer besides wotc

People who liked extended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The only good format is kitchen table. Players are required to print proxies of all cards with latest oracle text, and any player who prints a card over $20 must put 15% of the current market price of that card into the pot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kalel posted:

Ma and Pa Ingalls

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

The MTG stories for Crimson Vow state that Emrakul getting shoved into the moon was the catalyst for this particular occurrence, but the day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia is just one of those things that happens on Innistrad because that's just how spooky town works apparently.

This set seems to have lot more weird mutated Horror creatures than you would expect.....

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've not had as much fun with Magic in years as I do playing the precons. I do quick drafts on Arena, those are good enough for me, and to grind gold I'll play the precon that gets me my daily quest rewards. Does anyone know the algorithm for pairing? I remember when Arena came out people were guessing things like X number of rates/mythics or even cards in common with top decks. If I could make jank decks and play against people with jank decks I'd waste even more time.

Playing the precons seems to get me paired against people also playing precons, though. But sometimes I'll get paired up against a tier 1-ish Standard deck and blow them out because they didn't expect the UG Snow "Avalanche" deck to tap down their board, and that's a good feeling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, there are literally no W/B 1 or 2 CMC spells that create a creature token immediately for Kaya to curve off of (at least that I see looking at the spoiler maybe I missed something). Honestly what the hell Wizards? There's got to be some kind of a Development fuckup there for sure.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Arivia posted:

Okay, there are literally no W/B 1 or 2 CMC spells that create a creature token immediately for Kaya to curve off of (at least that I see looking at the spoiler maybe I missed something). Honestly what the hell Wizards? There's got to be some kind of a Development fuckup there for sure.

Hunt for Specimens.

Unless you mean in draft? I don't think it's a development fuckup to spend design space supporting a mythic.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Arivia posted:

here's the search you want: https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Avow+o%3Atoken+color%3C%3Dorzhov&unique=cards&as=grid&order=cmc

i think you're overstating it
- her +1 does put a counter on a creature token, but it still gives deathtouch to your creatures, token or not
- kaya's -2 doubles all tokens, not just creature tokens (meaning it works with blood tokens)
- that -2 is something you'll want to play the turn after you put kaya down anyway, with more mana open; waiting for t4/5 to cast kaya and a 1 or 2 cmc spell on the same turn you -2 her is probably not worth it even if those spells were there

either way it's probably okay in limited (i could see splashing her if you're in a blood token deck) but i think the design is more for token strategies in general

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Hunt for Specimens.

Unless you mean in draft? I don't think it's a development fuckup to spend design space supporting a mythic.

Yes, I meant Crimson Vow limited formats.

@flatluigi: I GUESS *flails arms around*

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 6, 2021

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

As someone who played a LOT of Anointed Procession, Kaya seems extremely underwhelming to me. Maybe you can do something cool with non-creature tokens, but I don't think I'd ever play her to double creature tokens.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Abzan landfall deck focused on getting one big turn of doubled Scute Swarm triggers feels like the most fun application of Kaya that comes to mind

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Abzan many trees coming to a pro tour near you.

Edit: kaya wrenn chariot is a powerful win more strategy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Pioneer has fabled passage or prismatic vista as a fetch. I always get the two mixed up

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
the main fuckup for pioneer for me is not following the modern method of starting the fuckin new format with the new card frame

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Pioneer has fabled passage or prismatic vista as a fetch. I always get the two mixed up

Fables is the stuff off Eldraine
A Vista looks over the horizon

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jabor posted:

"Playable" and "So good you don't play fetches" aren't the same thing.

Fetchlands+typed duals enable reliable 3- and 4-colour manabases, which makes them better than even painless 100% untapped duals alone.

The decks playing fastlands are not running a full complement of fetches, so they are choosing to play them over some number of fetches.

"So good you don't play fetches" is really a question of how few slots for fetches+fetchables you need to make fetches good. Like if you have a perfect land but it's only an enemy or allied cycle so you only get 1 or 2 playsets then you probably still fill out your manabase with fetches. When you get to 3 playsets then maybe you do stop playing fetches but I don't know.

But untapped duals with scry 1 are probably so good that you would play half-on-colour ones in a 2 colour deck

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I had a lot of fun with Pioneer after it came out, but I stopped playing right before Inverter hosed everything up. I'm less interested in playing it now because Historic exists and is pretty good and is close enough to the same kind of Standard+ experience.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

I had a lot of fun with Pioneer after it came out, but I stopped playing right before Inverter hosed everything up. I'm less interested in playing it now because Historic exists and is pretty good and is close enough to the same kind of Standard+ experience.

Historic is cool especially after Jumpstart Historic Horizons added a bunch of cool poo poo from MH1 and 2

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Historic is cool especially after Jumpstart Historic Horizons added a bunch of cool poo poo from MH1 and 2

I really like historic too, but these sets are both really good at what they aimed to do, which is vacuum wildcards up for pet decks like enchantress. I’ve always loved the deck, but it’s pretty drat obvious what the plan is when sythis, sterling grove, presence and destiny spinner are all requirements for the deck.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 6, 2021

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just want to crack open a cold Tireless Tracker with the boys =(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

meanolmrcloud posted:

I really like historic too, but these sets are both really good at what they aimed to do, which is vacuum wildcards up for pet decks like enchantress. I’ve always loved the deck, but it’s pretty drat obvious what the plan is when sythis, sterling grove, presence and destiny spinner are all requirements for the deck.

That’s fair but they added my favorite girl dragons rage channeler so I forgive their greediness.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A kid at FNM last night opened up a foil extended art meathook massacre from one of his price packs fuuuuuuuu

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A kid at FNM last night opened up a foil extended art meathook massacre from one of his price packs fuuuuuuuu

How’d the draft go?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

How’d the draft go?

I drafted a pretty good Dimir deck with champion of the perished and suspicious stowaway, ended up going 1-2 because I got mana flooded a bunch. But the one round I won was when the deck really popped off. Even when I don’t do well I still have fun lol

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Flooding out with a suspicious stowaway in your deck is a bummer. I keep looking at that card and wondering if it had constructed implications, it seems... so good to me, on its face

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Historic Horizons is good if for no other reason than Esper Sentinel

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Have the police checked the dumpster behind your FLG yet

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

Flooding out with a suspicious stowaway in your deck is a bummer. I keep looking at that card and wondering if it had constructed implications, it seems... so good to me, on its face

I think it might see some play with VOW, tempo looks like one of the things that potentially got a good bit better.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I drafted a pretty good Dimir deck with champion of the perished and suspicious stowaway, ended up going 1-2 because I got mana flooded a bunch. But the one round I won was when the deck really popped off. Even when I don’t do well I still have fun lol

Paper Magic owns, wb

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's a deck pvddr made a video about with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqmG7cy6Uwc

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

It's a super good card that doesn't quite have a home, though there are some delver-style decks that are using it a bit. But if the surrounding cards were there I think that thing would see tons of play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kalel posted:

Pioneer is a good format that no one is interested in playing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Pioneer is a good format that no one is interested in playing.

One of these two things is true

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Why would I play pioneer when instead I could have pie ‘n’ beer

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Why would I play pioneer when instead I could have pie ‘n’ beer

maybe you should "pioneer" some better posts!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

maybe you should "pioneer" some better posts!!!

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i would play pioneer if it had fetches and brainstorm in it

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
maybe i should "brainstorm" up some better posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It would be nice if there was another constructed formats to play in person other than Modern. Pioneer was a good way to provide that, even more now that Standard is becoming Arena only.