Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

itry posted:

That's pretty good then. Not sure that's a hot take. Prey is pretty good.

Edit: certainly not as hot as FF13-3 being the best FF game

I didn't feel compelled to keep playing it but it gave me a spooky moment or two in the first outside the station moments.

I feel like I will replay it but I look at my steam log times and I'm like dang, that was not just a time in my life I wanted to play a lot of Prey.

And I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sometimes I just don't feel like playing anything at all. Yet I'll still look through my games list for a bit. Like browsing Netflix without actually watching anything. Or opening and closing the fridge.

John Murdoch posted:

as I ruminate it on more it might slide down to like a 6.

How dare you :mad:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I didn't feel compelled to keep playing it but it gave me a spooky moment or two in the first outside the station moments.

I feel like I will replay it but I look at my steam log times and I'm like dang, that was not just a time in my life I wanted to play a lot of Prey.

And I have nothing but good things to say about it.

The funny thing is, the first time I played it I stopped at that exact spot because I was originally only supposed to be testing it to make sure it worked on my machine at the time and then oops suddenly I'd put 3 hours in. But ultimately just like you it wasn't the right time to stick with it so I only came back to it this week.

But then the rest of the game was a lot more bland and meandering. There's a few neat things sprinkled in here and there, but it never quite built towards anything as compelling as the first hour~. I still enjoyed the part 2/3rds of the way through where you finally get free reign to do what you want and break the power curve and clean up all the side quests, but it was on a purely mechanical and ultimately ephemeral power accumulation rush rather than being deeply invested in the story.

I'm curious to see how I take to Mooncrash. I've heard a lot of people say they liked it way more than the base game and given the base game had really limp storytelling a more mechanics-first roguelite mode might click better for me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

FFXIII is probably my favorite FF game but fukken laffo if you think I'm not slamming skip cutscene cause its not just bad, its actively detrimental to good story telling.

Oh hey, the end of the game works because the heroes just hoped it would work out and a god who exists only in the datalogs showed up so it would.

Nora is also his mother's name

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The funny thing is, the first time I played it I stopped at that exact spot because I was originally only supposed to be testing it to make sure it worked on my machine at the time and then oops suddenly I'd put 3 hours in. But ultimately just like you it wasn't the right time to stick with it so I only came back to it this week.

But then the rest of the game was a lot more bland and meandering. There's a few neat things sprinkled in here and there, but it never quite built towards anything as compelling as the first hour~. I still enjoyed the part 2/3rds of the way through where you finally get free reign to do what you want and break the power curve and clean up all the side quests, but it was on a purely mechanical and ultimately ephemeral power accumulation rush rather than being deeply invested in the story.

I'm curious to see how I take to Mooncrash. I've heard a lot of people say they liked it way more than the base game and given the base game had really limp storytelling a more mechanics-first roguelite mode might click better for me.

I liked mooncrash quite a bit, the mechanics are so one of a kind that it's hard to succinctly describe what I like about them.

I also liked Prey a lot, I love power sliding into a room ejecting lightning from my fingertips and then taking a cool sip of water from the drinking fountain. Oh this door is locked, guess I'll transform into a coffee mug and roll through the barred window next to it.

On one of my playthroughs of Prey I committed to just throwing furniture and industrial machinery at enemies and it was a fun and effective strategy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Every time people start talking about prey I think about the older game and how disappointed I was when I flipped the box over and found out it was about demons and not sentient swarms of man eating nanobots.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Every time people start talking about prey I think about the older game and how disappointed I was when I flipped the box over and found out it was about demons and not sentient swarms of man eating nanobots.

The 2006 Prey is also about swarms of man eating technology?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

OK to be more specific it was a monster shooty game and not something based off the Crichton novel.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Secret of Evermore is somehow simultaneously good and bad consistently the entire way through.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ghosts of Tsushima looks like the most average looking videogame I've ever seen. Its the VG equivalent of a plain cheese sandwhich or a glass of water. Desperate for some pickle or flavored squash to impart some flavour

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It was fun but also somehow I found it kinda boring. Like it didn't hold my full attention. It is definitely a good game though. Its not as good as Days Gone though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Still not sure if people are serious when they say Days Gone is good.

Seriously, is it good? I can't tell. Looks like a boring paint by numbers zombie open world as a genre sort of game.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

itry posted:

Still not sure if people are serious when they say Days Gone is good.

Seriously, is it good? I can't tell. Looks like a boring paint by numbers zombie open world as a genre sort of game.

Killing zombies with your parkour is fun for a bit, then some dumb arena giant armored zombie thing happens and all the fun stops.

edit: actually i think that was dying light, the hell is days gone?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

X JAKK posted:

Killing zombies with your parkour is fun for a bit, then some dumb arena giant armored zombie thing happens and all the fun stops.

Days Gone is Sony's open world zombie game that is perfectly serviceable, but because of when it came out and Sony ~Brand~ has been hyped up a lot

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

FFXIII is probably my favorite FF game but fukken laffo if you think I'm not slamming skip cutscene cause its not just bad, its actively detrimental to good story telling.

Oh hey, the end of the game works because the heroes just hoped it would work out and a god who exists only in the datalogs showed up so it would.

wait is that seriously it because i have been wondering what the gently caress happened in that last scene for the past like ten years but never quite enough to look it up or anything

also the 20-hour tutorial thing gets thrown around a ton but it’s not really accurate, yeah the game is on absurdly tight rails and continues to introduce new jobs and stuff and caps leveling but calling it a “tutorial” is pretty weird and misleading. if you check the games thread from around its release there’s a ton of goons that complain about getting totally stuck at times in the “tutorial” section before it opens up (which means they were too dumb to engage the game’s weird battle system, so ironically it might have benefitted from more tutorializing)

e: i seriously remember most of the plot and stuff including the definitions to the made up words “l’cie” and “fal’cie” but even when it was fresh in my mind and I had just binged through it in a week the end was just totally loving nonsensical

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait is that seriously it because i have been wondering what the gently caress happened in that last scene for the past like ten years but never quite enough to look it up or anything

also the 20-hour tutorial thing gets thrown around a ton but it’s not really accurate, yeah the game is on absurdly tight rails and continues to introduce new jobs and stuff and caps leveling but calling it a “tutorial” is pretty weird and misleading. if you check the games thread from around its release there’s a ton of goons that complain about getting totally stuck at times in the “tutorial” section before it opens up (which means they were too dumb to engage the game’s weird battle system, so ironically it might have benefitted from more tutorializing)

Yes. If you look in the background of the final/battle cutscene they're doing it in front of the gate of one of the gods of the datalogs. The magic that happens is that god intervening in reality on behalf of the heroes. Absolutely gently caress all of this is communicated directly to the player, and also is what causes reality to unwind across FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 so nice loving going, God.

The game gives you full party and paradigm freedom in chapter 9 which is about 10 hours in if you're slamming cutscene skip, so even in the most restrictive interpretation of "I must have access to all party mechanics" to consider the tutorial it takes less time to get there than like the opening to persona 5. Nobody read those tutorials though, thats just a fact

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Random Stranger posted:

I felt like Civ 3 and 4 added a lot of complexity that wasn't actually that interesting. Civ 5 seemed to work out a decent balance, though, by streamlining a lot of the cruft the series had built up.

But we all know the best Civ game is SMAC.

I really like how Civ V's interface was so clear and colourful, literally like a Fischer-Price toy and not in a bad way- after how confusing and opaque a lot of those games could get, it did a real good job making the game intuitive and easier to understand.

Barudak posted:

Yes. If you look in the background of the final/battle cutscene they're doing it in front of the gate of one of the gods of the datalogs. The magic that happens is that god intervening in reality on behalf of the heroes. Absolutely gently caress all of this is communicated directly to the player, and also is what causes reality to unwind across FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 so nice loving going, God.

The game gives you full party and paradigm freedom in chapter 9 which is about 10 hours in if you're slamming cutscene skip, so even in the most restrictive interpretation of "I must have access to all party mechanics" to consider the tutorial it takes less time to get there than like the opening to persona 5. Nobody read those tutorials though, thats just a fact

IIRC massive chunks of the plot are only found in text logs? Given the game's development history I'm not surprised a lot of the plot ended up forgotten on the cutting room floor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not only are massive chunks of FFXIII's plot found in the datalogs, for instance how a character you killed on screen gets to come back to life as president so he can get killed on screen again, so are a lot of very important lore bits like what happened to everyone on Pulse.

Reminder: the games ending was unknown until the script writer saw the games finished logo when they had like sub 12 months to get it out the door and went "Imma make that picture the end of the game"

This isn't a joke, if they weren't financially on the hook for promising a demo with the advent children blu-ray the game might never have been finished

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

X JAKK posted:

Secret of Evermore is somehow simultaneously good and bad consistently the entire way through.

the game had a lot of potential but the gameplay is just so unpolished

shame

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Ghosts of Tsushima looks like the most average looking videogame I've ever seen. Its the VG equivalent of a plain cheese sandwhich or a glass of water. Desperate for some pickle or flavored squash to impart some flavour

I read a review that said it was "the best average game ever made" and I actually think that's a great way to put it. It's not very innovative in any area, and hits all the "standard open world game" notes. However, it's not really deficient in any areas, either. It's legitimately gorgeous to look at and the swordfighting is really fun. Also has an old woman NPC who can kick rear end which is rare in games so there's that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ghost of Tsushima owns

Days Gone owns

Prey is arkanes best game and it's good but not great

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prey really needed better weapons

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It had lots of great weapons, most of them just didn't come in the form of guns.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think Streets of Rage 4's focus on combos did much for me and I think it's a departure from the older games that I really didn't like. The way enemies had to be reworked for this did the game no favors. I don't mind the game, but i significantly prefer SoR2. Just give the enemies i-frames if they need them, don't give out all the super armor to make them not trivial.

Also, SMAC is a mediocre take on civ2 that mostly gets by on the unimportant :words: rather than anything good in the mechanics.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

OK to be more specific it was a monster shooty game and not something based off the Crichton novel.

His worst book?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

fridge corn posted:

Ghost of Tsushima owns

Days Gone owns

Prey is arkanes best game and it's good but not great

But does it own?

SCheeseman posted:

It had lots of great weapons, most of them just didn't come in the form of guns.

:hmmyes:

Edit:

X JAKK posted:

Yeah that's Dying Light. Days Gone is biker dude zombie crowd surfing game.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 6, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

itry posted:

But does it own?

It does not own

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Clowner posted:

I read a review that said it was "the best average game ever made" and I actually think that's a great way to put it. It's not very innovative in any area, and hits all the "standard open world game" notes. However, it's not really deficient in any areas, either. It's legitimately gorgeous to look at and the swordfighting is really fun. Also has an old woman NPC who can kick rear end which is rare in games so there's that.

I'm feeling something similar about Mad Max (developed by the Just Cause guys), there's nothing particularly unique about it, but all the subsystems mesh together quite nicely and are executed quite well.
It feels a bit light on narrative though, like they had run out of time to expand it with more main quests and side quests and so you have to make your own goals to work through the open world content.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Barudak posted:

I couldn't believe the 20 number myself, but it actually took me 25 hours (as recorded on my save file) to reach that point on my first real playthrough, although I did start watching the cutscenes in the later chapters once they were all miserable.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me exactly 20 hours and until then I thought it was actual hyperbole.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

His worst book?

Hey, it was at the very least better than the one were climate change was an eco terrorist hoax

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It took me about 14ish hours to get there my last run but thats knowing what to do and cutscene skip so 20 hours blind to reach pulse is probably right

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I couldn't believe the 20 number myself, but it actually took me 25 hours (as recorded on my save file) to reach that point on my first real playthrough, although I did start watching the cutscenes in the later chapters once they were all miserable.

if you're slamming cutscene skip why are you even playing games in the bad-gameplay-but-people-like-the-stories-i-guess genre

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kagero: Deception 2 is the best game ever made.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you're slamming cutscene skip why are you even playing games in the bad-gameplay-but-people-like-the-stories-i-guess genre

I will never understand this belief. Their stories are nothing special and weren't even any more detailed than other games in their heyday.

And the gameplay is fun if simple.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It is weird how muscle memory works.

At one point I could slaughter someone at Marvel SNK vs. Capcom with my toes.

One of the best gaming experiences of my life was getting good at Capcom vs SNK 2 with a friend of mine Lee, over a weekend. There was a party on Saturday, we both got there (mutual friends' house) early Friday, and were just kicking it playing CvS2 most of the day, learning the ropes, completing arcade mode, etc. Mutual friend was happy watching. By the end of the day we'd kind of found our preferred characters and playstyles. Then Saturday, the party, was awesome, and at around 5am it dried up, but because me and Lee both fell asleep in the front room, we got woken up pretty early with people leaving, and were too monged out to really get up and do anything, so we just fired up the console again, and just did random characters against each other.

It got to 100-100 wins each, and we decided the next was the decider. I got Sagat, who was one of my obviously top 3, and he got Geese, who he'd been kicking my rear end with all day, and then we both had two jobbers who we weren't great with. The game came down to fresh Geese vs fresh Sagat, and I can't remember the specifics now, but it was right down to the wire, and Lee tried a bad bait, but in the split second he made it he was going 'awww' before he'd even thrown the move. Because we both knew I'd seen it coming, that my counter attack had priority, and we both knew I'd land it and combo to victory, and it was just such a, like, full flow moment where we both knew what the other was thinking, both knew what was playing out before it played out.

Today, I'd honestly be hard pressed to throw a tiger knee.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

FFXIII's combat is really good and its pacing for character level growth versus boss complexity is really good; its just bolted to a game with gently caress awful story and hideously bad weapon upgrade system

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Kagero: Deception 2 is the best game ever made.

That reminds me of this I think SNES game that was like river city ransom with better proportioned characters and you could rip ladies purses away and beat them to death with with it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Elentor posted:

This owns.

I think I've seen at least one store still carrying the old-style Mega Drives from TecToy downtown. It was years ago, though.