Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Re_whatevering/status/1456687885738991625?s=20

Why is it me at the top of the page again? I have no imagination for a page snipe today.

A .22 is some sort of gun.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

if there was a competition for dumbest country in the olympics we'd need 200 gold medals every 4 years

(britiane would get platinum tho)

PawParole fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 6, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That's like not even how the Olympics works

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Like it would just be one event? so we'd just get the one gold medal for it. Ignore the platinum nonsense.

Like even how would it be judged by one individual or a team put forward? In the 100m relay theres 4 of them and it still only counts as one. So we'd be putting forward a team of 60 whatever million so we'd either need a 60 whatever million gold medals, which makes no sense, or still just one.

Go away and rethink this.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
You could have the 100m Corruption Dash(say a £500 bung to advocate for the local shop to put in a gaming machine), the marathon corruption with longer term carefully planned scam (land development for example), the putting the shot (lobbing some sort of metaphorical lump into someone's plans to wreck them), the decathlon - mixed bag of 10 different corruptions etc.

With enough time I'm sure we could come up with 200 different corruptions to get gold medals for.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That's like not even how the Olympics works

We'd need so many because the team would keep losing them to random people on the street claiming to be Gold Medal Inspectors who were just asking questions in good faith about our gold medal and could be trusted because they could speak Latin. After 200 times the IOC would get tired of charging us 20 times the production cost for replacements and just say we now had a Platinum medal but we couldn't take it away because it was radioactive or something because we were a very good team that had done so well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol the government is now officially worse than the regime from V for Vendetta:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1456770862766559240

It was like 120,000 in the Cameron years from austerity alone. At this point they're just doing victory laps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

For sure you can't really do it if you just want to put a fire on the ground, but it seems like something you could probably do fairly easily with some bricks and a grate.

The metal ones also go really manky IME and take up a lot of space when you don't want to use them, bricks you can take apart and stack up when not in use, and they don't rust.

Well without a fan to provide a blast of excess oxygen you will most likely need a chimney and an enclosure to produce secondary combustion or the smoke will dissipate before that has a chance to happen. You could definitely build it from bricks, you have to trap the smoke in a chamber right above the fire before it exits to the chimney, thanks to the draft you have fresh air that is sucked in from under the fire grate, but you also need to direct some of that air around the existing fire deliver it fresh and unburned above the flames, then it can wix with the hot smoke and combust again. That is exactly how my masonry* heater works in my house. With a fan you can just shove the air in from the bottom through the fire with brute force but with self-draft that won't work.

But realistically speaking for a fire pit you dont need to achieve complete combustion and smokelessness. Putting the firewood on a raise up grate is good enough then you get increased airflow and it will be a good enough combustion not to smoke like heck, but not smokefree. Just a nice looking fire that hopefully won't bother the neighbors too much.

------

This is my fire pit anyway, still looks the same, paint on the outside is still good despite speanding years outside before it got cut up. I do have space and have moved it behind my new shed.

I also welded this rocket stove last spring from some trash, it was an experiment in combustion. The end result because of the material I used was suboptimal. A rectangular shape but a square or round is better. It smoked a lot like this.

I added an intake on the side to let in air around where I thought the air was gonna need to come in, and sure enough it produced a much cleaner burn:

I'd like to experiment some more with this later. I think a small camping stove based on something like this would be cool to build.

Sorry I like to sperg on this kind of stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/derelict_london/status/1456907602529509376

You know I sort of hope this becomes a thing to at least take the edge off the poppy weirdos - it's still ridiculously twee but at least doesn't make you think the postbox is about to march into machinegun fire.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well without a fan to provide a blast of excess oxygen you will most likely need a chimney and an enclosure to produce secondary combustion or the smoke will dissipate before that has a chance to happen. You could definitely build it from bricks, you have to trap the smoke in a chamber right above the fire before it exits to the chimney, thanks to the draft you have fresh air that is sucked in from under the fire grate, but you also need to direct some of that air around the existing fire deliver it fresh and unburned above the flames, then it can wix with the hot smoke and combust again. That is exactly how my masonry* heater works in my house. With a fan you can just shove the air in from the bottom through the fire with brute force but with self-draft that won't work.

But realistically speaking for a fire pit you dont need to achieve complete combustion and smokelessness. Putting the firewood on a raise up grate is good enough then you get increased airflow and it will be a good enough combustion not to smoke like heck, but not smokefree. Just a nice looking fire that hopefully won't bother the neighbors too much.

------

This is my fire pit anyway, still looks the same, paint on the outside is still good despite speanding years outside before it got cut up. I do have space and have moved it behind my new shed.

I also welded this rocket stove last spring from some trash, it was an experiment in combustion. The end result because of the material I used was suboptimal. A rectangular shape but a square or round is better. It smoked a lot like this.

I added an intake on the side to let in air around where I thought the air was gonna need to come in, and sure enough it produced a much cleaner burn:

I'd like to experiment some more with this later. I think a small camping stove based on something like this would be cool to build.

Sorry I like to sperg on this kind of stuff.

I tried to make one of those rocket stoves a couple of years ago, but could never get it to draw properly.

My current favourite is a woodburning garden stove/heater I made out of an empty propane cylinder. I welded a 6mm mild steel plate onto the top that works well as a cooking plate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
when did we start knitting postbox cosies

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've been doing knitted decorations for a bunch of stuff, postboxes seem like a natural evolution.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Its a thing called yarn bombing and its cute.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Its a thing called yarn bombing and its cute.

yeah i dig this, its pretty cool imo. more importantly, it is quaint

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the only way to stop the flag nonces from owning it is to do it for everything, therefore spreading out its gross cultural impact.

Quaintitive easing.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i for one think the quaint should be reclaimed from the flag fornicating sort and redistributed amongst the proletariat

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i don't have an opinion about them really

was just curious

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
on the falls road they have the postboxes painted green because they are not fond of the queen and that, up them paaarts

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they prefer all the irish stuff: green and big harps and that one curly font and that

murals of lads with big hair who died of state killings and eating disorders

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Trump_ton/status/1456590405999415297

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

on the falls road they have the postboxes painted green because they are not fond of the queen and that, up them paaarts

Reminds me of the extremely weird protoScotNat campaign of trying to erase the "II" from the cypher on postboxes put up after Liz took the crown - "She's not the second Elizabeth up here!". Like they were okay with the concept of a monarch - and that monarch's symbol being on their post boxes - but they were *extremely* annoyed about the Anglocentric numbering system. I get it, but it's a really, really narrow window of outrage.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

they prefer all the irish stuff: green and big harps and that one curly font and that

murals of lads with big hair who died of state killings and eating disorders

Coleraine has lads who died for strange reasons as well and Union Jacks and Israeli flags and UVF flags.... Scottish flags have gone out of favour for some reason (i wonder why j/k). :rolleyes:

Let them stay on their poles and let the wind and time do their job on them... it's surely no concern of mine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when a chippy in Leicester gave themselves a colourful redecoration, nearly every comment on it was shaven headed ham people fighting imaginary enemies on facebook by shouting "we are not RACIST just because we want to celebrate ARE CULTURE and the cities 80% migrant now and they all HATE it!! Countrys hosed."

The two Indian brothers who actually ran the place commented to say that they had no particular sentiments about flags or unionism and just thought it looked good on a chip shop, but they'd be repainting it in a couple of weeks because of a certain amount of negative attention, but the negative attention was entirely from people who were convinced that some secret migrant somewhere hated it.

I don't think they changed the postbox though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Huh, same reason why British Sea Power are now Sea Power

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I remember when a chippy in Leicester gave themselves a colourful redecoration, nearly every comment on it was shaven headed ham people fighting imaginary enemies on facebook by shouting "we are not RACIST just because we want to celebrate ARE CULTURE and the cities 80% migrant now and they all HATE it!! Countrys hosed."

The two Indian brothers who actually ran the place commented to say that they had no particular sentiments about flags or unionism and just thought it looked good on a chip shop, but they'd be repainting it in a couple of weeks because of a certain amount of negative attention, but the negative attention was entirely from people who were convinced that some secret migrant somewhere hated it.

I don't think they changed the postbox though.

"The Fish And The Chip" is an extremely powerful name for a chippy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reminds me of the extremely weird protoScotNat campaign of trying to erase the "II" from the cypher on postboxes put up after Liz took the crown - "She's not the second Elizabeth up here!". Like they were okay with the concept of a monarch - and that monarch's symbol being on their post boxes - but they were *extremely* annoyed about the Anglocentric numbering system. I get it, but it's a really, really narrow window of outrage.

Meanwhile the Irish state didn't even bother replacing the postboxes, just painted them green with all the ER/GR/VR symbols still visible :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"The Fish And The Chip" is an extremely powerful name for a chippy.

Just one extremely large chip

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reminds me of Six Chip Twat

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
lmao

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1456966705872244743

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think Tory voters see the chance to establish permanent fascist rule. They don't care how corrupt the party is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it ever comes to war with the machines my almost supernatural ability to render the most robust machinery completely inert simply by looking at it will make me Humanity's saviour.

As someone who does robotics for fun, I will collaborate with our robot masters. Maybe they'll give me Australia to rule!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Someone is knocking on doors in my street saying that there have been complaints about gas and electricity. Prices will be going up by 68% next week and was I aware? I have no idea who they represent because they didn't introduce themselves except to say that they were not selling gas or electricity.

Is it too deeply cynical to suspect some kind of loan shark is doing doorstop selling?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I tried to make one of those rocket stoves a couple of years ago, but could never get it to draw properly.

My current favourite is a woodburning garden stove/heater I made out of an empty propane cylinder. I welded a 6mm mild steel plate onto the top that works well as a cooking plate.

Sounds interesting, empty propane cylinders are cheaply had, got photos?

Re: rocket stoves, I think the design with a separate bottom air intake is probably better than the one which has the air intake in the angled part.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Someone is knocking on doors in my street saying that there have been complaints about gas and electricity. Prices will be going up by 68% next week and was I aware? I have no idea who they represent because they didn't introduce themselves except to say that they were not selling gas or electricity.

Is it too deeply cynical to suspect some kind of loan shark is doing doorstop selling?

They are probably lying about not selling gas or electricity (or at least they aren't directly, themselves) and are trying to get you to switch providers in exchange for a commission from the new provider.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

It was like 120,000 in the Cameron years from austerity alone. At this point they're just doing victory laps.

Yeah, but that was (disgracefully) a relatively obscure fact. Everyone knows the government killed 100,000 people now and no one gives a poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As is invariably the case with people dying, the people in the greatest position to complain are least capable of doing so, owing to being dead.

Most people care about other people dying far less than they care about the possibility that they will die, which is why a small number of people being exploded is more effective than many, many more people dying quietly because the explosions go on the news a lot with the implication that it could be you next.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

nurmie posted:

yeah i dig this, its pretty cool imo. more importantly, it is quaint

This was a bit of a fad round here a year or two back. No real objections to it, but the wool doesn't look great after it's weathered for a few months.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

They are probably lying about not selling gas or electricity (or at least they aren't directly, themselves) and are trying to get you to switch providers in exchange for a commission from the new provider.

I thougt nobody was switching at the moment? Suppliers of last resort aren't actively touting for more customers.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Lady Demelza posted:

I thougt nobody was switching at the moment? Suppliers of last resort aren't actively touting for more customers.

Never underestimate people's ability to capitalise on a crisis, and to exploit the vulnerability of others in order to sell them stuff.

When I was looking to challenge my bailiff letter last week, ALL the top Google results when I was looking to see what I could do were for firms who wanted to 'consolidate all your debts into one easy loan!!!' blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Read the room, Keith

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1456957113381629955?s=21