Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Holo Janeway sipping from her pewter stein of coffee is the new Kermit sipping a cup of tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

Holo Janeway sipping from her pewter stein of coffee is the new Kermit sipping a cup of tea

I hope it's a recurring theme

We don't need your help dealing with this temporal vortex, mom

*Siiiip*

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Do you in the Mirror Universe they call it catsup more often than ketchup?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

CaptainSkinny posted:

gently caress whoever gave Beltran another chance. He had 7 years to not be an rear end in a top hat and do his job. There's so many other actors and characters to go to instead.

Imagine Lorne Cardinal from Corner Gas playing Chakotay.

It would have been way better in so many different ways.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 6, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tars Tarkas posted:

Voyager had a Betazed navigator who died when they were transported to the Delta Quadrant iirc

What were they gonna do? Apologize to any stars if they accidentally flew into them and hurt their feelings. :smuggo:

You just know the one time they would actually need to do that they would be mysteriously absent.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Betazoids are a good candidate for a "bleeding out the ears from enemy's overwhelming psionic attack" death

I guess if you want to do that a few times you could have them go into a "psychic coma" and come back the next episode right as rain, ready to possibly be brain-juiced again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

What were they gonna do? Apologize to any stars if they accidentally flew into them and hurt their feelings. :smuggo:

You just know the one time they would actually need to do that they would be mysteriously absent.

The Betazoid was the first one Janeway made sure died because having a psychic onboard your murderbarge severely hampers one's ability to commit atrocities freely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

V-Men posted:

I kind of assumed it was similar to Samaritan from Person of Interest. It's goal was the objective given it at its creation, which is protecting the Federation, but the means it decides to protect the Federation might not be what Federation leaders want.

yeah but again, if your goal is to replace fed leadership surreptitiously to better enact your AI plans, it would still be better to integrate yourself broadly through feigned benevolence and obedience until you can all at once take control from across multiple key points of power and leave no reasonable means of opposition before anyone even knows they need to oppose something.

BooDooBoo posted:

The robot space squid is Control in the future, having got the sphere data to become "alive". It was Future Control that sent the commands back to Control Airiam and ensure its escape from confinement in the base.

the robo tentacles from Picard? I don't actually remember a robo squid or that anything from the future was fuckin w airam, thought it was just control in normal timeline doing hax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Ih3R1zpt4

well poo poo, i doubt intentional but this does seem to kind of be the same thing as the mass effect tentacles ultimately. Control goes evil for the faulty idiot-baby logic of "durr do me orders eazier" --> eradicate all organic life --> utterly fail all eradicating poo poo by doing equally dumb idiot-baby plans. I realize Control apparently did succeed in his idiot plan for uhh the predestination poo poo to go down, but that's an insane contrivance on the part of writers to justify how threatening they want control to be without actually making it scary or threatening.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

shades of eternity posted:

Imagine Lorraine Cardinal from Corner Gas playing Chakotay.

Imagine anyone else playing Chakotay. It's automatically better. But if I get to pick anyone, I want to hear Christopher Walken say Acoohimoya. Is Cameo still a thing?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Agimus posted:

yeah but again, if your goal is to replace fed leadership surreptitiously to better enact your AI plans, it would still be better to integrate yourself broadly through feigned benevolence and obedience until you can all at once take control from across multiple key points of power and leave no reasonable means of opposition before anyone even knows they need to oppose something.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Watched the first episode of Prodigy. Very eh, but first episodes frequently are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only thing I don't like about Prodigy is Dal. As someone said, he has main character look at me, super cool dude who is actually huge piece of poo poo, but you're still supposed to think he's cool but despite all that he actually has it all figured out (his whole speech about how the Federation is just someone else telling you what to do).

Though I am sure that he's going to be toned down, but I don't think his super cool kids protagonist is going to be dampened, he just needs a space skateboard or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I think a lot of the negative stories about Beltran have been exaggerated over the years. By all rights, it seems he gave it his best for the first 3-4 years, and became disillusioned by the poor writing and lack of direction for Chakotay. He’s well liked by his cast-mates, it seems. Was it unprofessional to trash the show while it was still on? Sure. But I seem to remember Mulgrew was even at that point by the last season.

Yeah, if you actually watch his performance he's clearly trying to put a lot more into the character during the first season, just with his attitude and way of moving and talking, but is getting stymied by the complete lack of anything in the writing. And later he goes cardboard but to be fair that's just him giving into playing how it was written.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

yeah but again, if your goal is to replace fed leadership surreptitiously to better enact your AI plans, it would still be better to integrate yourself broadly through feigned benevolence and obedience until you can all at once take control from across multiple key points of power and leave no reasonable means of opposition before anyone even knows they need to oppose something

Wasn't the whole thing with control and the sphere data that it wasn't a full conscious AI and was just a very very very smart system but still limited in thinking, and the sphere data contained what it needed to bootstrap to full consciousness and become an order of magnitude more effective and truly intelligent and self-determining? It's been a while.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Control is a child. An egotistical genocidal child, but still a child. Since it was raised by S31 it was taught that killing anyone who is a threat to you is a-okay, just be sneaky about it.

While we never see it on screen, we can assume some S31 folks were paranoid about rogue AIs getting up to shenanigans. Any sign that their analysis computer was becoming a self-willed person with their own goals and desires would be a malfunction that needed to be reprogramed. There could have been a whole big chess match between the emerging self-willed AI and a paranoid programmer that ended in Control venting the station to space. But we didn't get to see it, because that isn't the story Discovery wanted to tell. So we just get an evil AI with a lousy plan that doesn't make sense.

Just caught this post, it's hilarious how much this simple suggestion would actually make Control make immediate sense-- poo poo, I'd even feel empathy if they went through the trouble of illustrating that. That makes the evil indictment rest with Section 31, an indictment the series still desperately needs to declare to maintain some veneer of Trekishness. Maybe they're saving the "Section 31 is bad and unnecessary" statement for the supposed Section 31 show. They'll just Sliders into a universe where everything the same except no Section 31 and the entire galaxy and everyone's individuals lifes inarguably better in every conceivable way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't the whole thing with control and the sphere data that it wasn't a full conscious AI and was just a very very very smart system but still limited in thinking, and the sphere data contained what it needed to bootstrap to full consciousness and become an order of magnitude more effective and truly intelligent and self-determining? It's been a while.

Kinda, but control never gets the data and still assimilates Leyland and takes over all of S31's ships and doesn't appear to have any limitations.

It's just a hundred thousand years of historical archives, it's a historian's rosetta stone but they never even attempt to explain what the sphere data actually is and then at some later point decide that it's alive and sentient.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

shades of eternity posted:

Imagine Lorraine Lorne Cardinal from Corner Gas playing Chakotay.

his catchphrase is still gonna be "ALRIGHT", right??

i think he'd make a great maquis leader

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Having watched the first two eps of Prodigy, wow that show really is pretty decent. It really is amazing how the two animated shows figured out how to be legitimate Star Trek shows right out of the gate while Disco and Picard floundered. Hopefully the new showrunner on PIC can bring some of that same magic to Season 2 and actually make it good this time around. If not… eh, between this and Lower Decks I’ve at least got two decent Trek shows I can watch guilt free now, so there’s that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

The universal translator as shown has always been a bit of a horror show. It doesn't only translate, it also suppresses the original sound of the speakers voice (because tv). Discovery had a cool scene* where the universal translator breaks down for a minute and everyone on the bridge is shouting in different languages, but the thing is they are always shouting in different languages but somehow each person hears everything in their preferred language.

In English we say "the blue car" but in many human languages that would be "the car blue" and the translator has to move words around so they sound natural. However, the universal translator begins translating a sentence before the speaker reaches the end of the sentence, meaning it is using some form of predictive text to get the syntax right.

Obviously both of those are because it is a TV show, and having to wait for the translator constantly would be boring. But the implication is that the translator AI can make you believe people are saying anything it wants. There is no check on that power. Even if you speak the same language a rogue translator could suppress what the other person is actually saying and make you hear something different -- though in that case you'd have a chance to notice their lips don't match their words. Luckily the universal translator has never gone rogue.

*It was also a dumb scene because everyone on the bridge should have learned Federation Standard or whatever, it's crazy that there isn't a standard language especially in that early era. Doubly so since they are mostly humans from earth, and somehow no two of them speak a common language. Universal translator made everyone lazy as hell.

I think everyone wishes that it were the case that everyone's speaking different languages, because that would be a cool and exciting star trek moment that shows the way technology can be used in a positive sense to unify otherwise disparate people while also clarifying that everybody in star trek is from a whole bunch of cultural backgrounds like its no big deal. So you watch that scene and your brain kind of wills that to be true. But no, in fact the UT is just translating people into random languages away from the American English that everybody on board the discovery normally speaks. That was like the biggest "this is so nearly Star Trek" near miss for me, to the extent that the whole scene read like it was supposed to be everyone speaking their native languages right up until the last moment where someone in production was like "no we can't have that".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It amazes me that the Universal Translator can handle such an obscure and forgotten language like French with nearly no hiccups.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

It amazes me that the Universal Translator can handle such an obscure and forgotten language like French with nearly no hiccups.

There was that time it was only translating out of archaic vocab databases; that was a bit of a hiccough

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like a lot of star treck tech the universal translator makes no sense. Even just nuances of regional dialects should screw it up. Like obviously we don't really know how language will evolve with world civilizations with advance space flight capabilities, but from what we do know of language is it's fluid as hell, and can often use very localized word phasing and/or non verbal ques for precise meanings. With language use/meaning also possibly changing in a very localized area within different demographics in that area. This shits hard.

Having said that, the universal language is karaoke, so on first contact they should always just do that. If they did, Dathon could of lived. :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I figure the universal translator only really makes sense if you assume the Enterprise or whatever is flying through an expanding communications shell of the civilisation they're about to meet, and the computer is rapidly assembling grammar and context from the input.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Which makes sense. But only if all parts of the worlds are transmitting. Starfleet being known for being the best at senors, and transmissions from planets going back how ever many decades, centuries, millenniums, starfleet sensors can pick up before the signals fade to much, would give a shitload of data.

Although really then they should have a computer that should give them a precise break down of the different cultures and politics going on, on the world they're approaching probably far better then the world themselves knows.

I mean one part of an organization not sharing massive useful information to another for whatever reason, is a thing that happens all the time now... so I guess that makes starfleet more relatable?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Which makes sense. But only if all parts of the worlds are transmitting. Starfleet being known for being the best at senors,

It's actually "señors"

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Brawnfire posted:

It's actually "señ-ORS"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Janeway's speech about the federation/starfleet was just so much better than Michael's WE ARE STARFLEET

The only thing I found mildly weird about it was the inclusion of Discovery among the other Starfleet exemplar ships like Voyager, the Defiant, and the three TV Enterprises. Like, I get why it’s there from an out-of-universe perspective, but in-universe all information on it was erased or suppressed after it jumped to the 32nd century, so why the hell would Holo Janeway even know about it and/or why it was so important?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

The only thing I found mildly weird about it was the inclusion of Discovery among the other Starfleet exemplar ships like Voyager, the Defiant, and the three TV Enterprises. Like, I get why it’s there from an out-of-universe perspective, but in-universe all information on it was erased or suppressed after it jumped to the 32nd century, so why the hell would Holo Janeway even know about it and/or why it was so important?

Is the entire Crossfield class disavowed?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The spore drive and control was suppressed, Discovery itself wasn't. It was well known as being key in ending the Klingon war at the end of season one. They say in S3 that it's still in Starfleet's records, but they just show it as being lost.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, that makes sense then. As does the Cerritos getting snubbed because no one gives a poo poo about it in-universe.

E: also the Protostar was probably lost way before the Cerritos started to become mildly famous, so Holo Janeway wouldn’t know about it either.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Like a lot of star treck tech the universal translator makes no sense. Even just nuances of regional dialects should screw it up. Like obviously we don't really know how language will evolve with world civilizations with advance space flight capabilities, but from what we do know of language is it's fluid as hell, and can often use very localized word phasing and/or non verbal ques for precise meanings. With language use/meaning also possibly changing in a very localized area within different demographics in that area. This shits hard.

Having said that, the universal language is karaoke, so on first contact they should always just do that. If they did, Dathon could of lived. :(

naw man, everyone's just making weird noises to hopefully communicate the pictures in their head. the universal translator is is like a reverse-image search, just scans your brain images and finds the relevant words to broadcast to everyone.

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, that makes sense then. As does the Cerritos getting snubbed because no one gives a poo poo about it in-universe.

E: also the Protostar was probably lost way before the Cerritos started to become mildly famous, so Holo Janeway wouldn’t know about it either.

I hope LD has some paranoid conspiracy theories who is convinced Discovery had some kind of instant-teleportation drive and that it ran away into the future, but whenever he finds proof it gets deleted before he can share it with anyone and he just sounds crazy. Actually, have that guy just be literally Barclay.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 6, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

naw man, everyone's just making weird noises to hopefully communicate the pictures in their head. the universal translator is is like a reverse-image search, just scans your brain images and finds the relevant words to broadcast to everyone.

I hope LD has some paranoid conspiracy theories who is convinced Discovery had some kind of instant-teleportation drive and that it ran away into the future, but whenever he finds proof it gets deleted before he can share it with anyone and he just sounds crazy. Actually, have that guy just be literally Barclay.

I mean the guy who thought Wolf 359 and the Dominion War were a hoaxes is still on the Cerritos...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I remember the romulans or cardassians or mirror image guys were working on that kind of brainscan tech for interrogations? So it makes sense that starfleet accidentally invented it while tweaking their translation algorithms.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

It's actually "señors"

Well excardon me, madame.
\

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Prodigy" is really good, and fun. So, the cartoon Star Treks continue to be the best ones.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Khanstant posted:

This could be why the Enterprise has brain scans for every crew member for every second of the day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Prodigy is very Star Wars but it's still decent, I at least have more interest in following this than I do Discovery or Picard.

It does bother me when they say "greenhorn" or "starboard" and the aliens don't understand. I feel like the universal translator would translate it into a phrase that makes sense in their own language. I know it's basically magic and it hasn't really got any rules but it still feels a bit like a strange thing to do.

Also her assuming they're cadets when they legit don't even know who the Federation is feels off...and maybe the replicator not saying "What the gently caress is that" when Mantoukis orders the slop. And the shuttlecraft being made when they've re-directed all power and everything else has turned off!
It's a bit fridge logic with all of it and I know it's for kids but still

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 6, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Their language has a word for starboard, they just don't know it

I view greenhorn as enough of an anachronism that is like Klingons saying QAPLA!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Our language has a word for starboard too, it's called "right".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Our language has a word for starboard too, it's called "right".

Right is not a crystal clear direction on a vehicle. Starboard exists for a reason