Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/823778159055994950/905879279269707826/The_Three_Heroes.mp4.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

:yeah:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Art.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
no

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:five:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's stupid as hell but whenever I see the prophecy stuff, I keep being reminded of the John Carpenter apocalypse trilogy (The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, and Prince of Darkness).

It makes me want to see a game that tries to tackle and explore the different themes of a world coming to an inevitable end and how the characters handle it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Amazing.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's stupid as hell but whenever I see the prophecy stuff, I keep being reminded of the John Carpenter apocalypse trilogy (The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, and Prince of Darkness).

It makes me want to see a game that tries to tackle and explore the different themes of a world coming to an inevitable end and how the characters handle it.

Honestly, I keep getting werid vibes from Ralsei talking over and over about how the Darkners' purpose is to help and support the Lightners. It's really bad if you consider how Darkners are basically personified hobbies and distractions (i.e. board games and internet poo poo posting), but some Darkner is gonna resent it in a future chapter and not be relegated to a mere supporting character by destroying their Well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That pretty well describes the King from ch 1

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can tell it's a slow day because my brain just keeps thinking about Prince of Darkness and imagining this scene redone by Toby Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PJpyLycno

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Capfalcon posted:

Amazing.

Honestly, I keep getting werid vibes from Ralsei talking over and over about how the Darkners' purpose is to help and support the Lightners. It's really bad if you consider how Darkners are basically personified hobbies and distractions (i.e. board games and internet poo poo posting), but some Darkner is gonna resent it in a future chapter and not be relegated to a mere supporting character by destroying their Well.

it's neat that the darkner-lightner "purpose" is probably tied to the same reason why monsters are buried with specific items

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That pretty well describes the King from ch 1

Yeah if you take the themes about escapism in retrospect, he might have been resenting how their roles are ultimately temporary and they'll be sealed away when they're no longer needed.

It was also said on the anniversary stream that the Dark Fountain in chapter 1 made the King even more aggressive than he normally is, and it was mentioned in chapter 2 that the Queen got even more out of control once the fountain appeared. Definitely seems like the fountains themselves are pretty dangerous and there's already an aspect of "too much of a good thing" there even without taking The Roaring into question.

Course this does bring into question what the central fountain is doing to Ralsei and if he's doing anything to keep its influence at bay.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 6, 2021

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Araxxor posted:

Course this does bring into question what the central fountain is doing to Ralsei and if he's doing anything to keep its influence at bay.

In Chapter 1 Ralsei is super subservient and passive to the point of excessive wimpery.

In Chapter 2 he is still subservient and helpful but he has more of a bite to him as we can see from him brutally shutting down any plans to open another fountain.

His fountain is amplifying his helpfulness to an absurd degree, and the farther away we get from it the more of the true Ralsei we will see.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One thing I just learned is that if you go back and look at the Ferris Wheel poster after the scene, Ralsei comments that Susie is probably thinking about her time with Noelle.

how does he know

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

life_source posted:

In Chapter 1 Ralsei is super subservient and passive to the point of excessive wimpery.

In Chapter 2 he is still subservient and helpful but he has more of a bite to him as we can see from him brutally shutting down any plans to open another fountain.

His fountain is amplifying his helpfulness to an absurd degree, and the farther away we get from it the more of the true Ralsei we will see.

Honestly, I don't think there's a big shift in his personality. He's got kid gloves for Suzy in the first one, since he's supposed to help Lightners. Even still, they're basically doing what they need to do. When she's a "bad guy," everyone is going in the right direction and not doing silly things like suggesting "Open more fountains that will destroy the world." In two, he's a bit more frustrated, because another world ending portal was opened literally one day later, and people are saying crazy things like, "Maybe doing the thing that ends the world is... Good???" He's still a fluffy pushover that gets steamrolled for anything that isn't literally world ending.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Chapter 2 Ralsei is basically an entirely different person. Chapter 1 Ralsei would never engage in acts of sarcasm.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Chapter 2 Ralsei is basically an entirely different person. Chapter 1 Ralsei would never engage in acts of sarcasm.

But it makes the Lightners happy! It's not like he's saying... swears!

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Ralsei actually does act a little bit different in Chapter 2, but I chalk that up to a combination of character development (I think the King shattered his naiveté just a little bit) and hanging out with people who aren't Kris. He's a bit less nervous and a slightly more proactive, and as a side effect, tends to give away that he knows more than he's saying more often than he used to. He's still kind, subservient, and very slightly sketchy.

The boat ride comes to mind, because I think that's Ralsei at his most sincere. He doesn't feel like he knows who he actually is, and because of that, his nature is subject to change with the people and circumstances around him; he's learning and growing, still, just like any of the other kids in the story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One thing I just learned is that if you go back and look at the Ferris Wheel poster after the scene, Ralsei comments that Susie is probably thinking about her time with Noelle.

how does he know

he looked up, presumably. that garish thing can be seen anywhere in the city

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Susie's been a good influence on him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Oxxidation posted:

he looked up, presumably. that garish thing can be seen anywhere in the city

that doesn't mean he knows Susie and Noelle were on it and being gay

it's suspicious!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that doesn't mean he knows Susie and Noelle were on it and being gay

it's suspicious!

Well Susie did ignite on reentry from her dropping in and landing on him from above so I guess he could also assume that's where she was. Knowing that Noelle was in it is another thing though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in sum there is a lot of stuff ralsei knows/does that he feasibly should not be able to know/do but the ferris wheel thing is one of the more benign because it wouldn't take much extrapolation for him to figure it out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just waiting for Ralsei to reveal his fire magic.

Unless that's not actually him in the robes in the myth and actually the abandoned vessel.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Araxxor posted:

It was also said on the anniversary stream that the Dark Fountain in chapter 1 made the King even more aggressive than he normally is, and it was mentioned in chapter 2 that the Queen got even more out of control once the fountain appeared. Definitely seems like the fountains themselves are pretty dangerous and there's already an aspect of "too much of a good thing" there even without taking The Roaring into question.

Is there a good resource for all the changes on the anniversary stream? I know most of them were trolling, but it'd be cool to see a side by side.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

:five: :discourse: :five:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
They should be giving middle fingers, but yeah

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
There's more to the post than that
https://twitter.com/SquiddoSquid/status/1457030308897824768?t=FAh2BS1N65XMiwUv3u8wYw&s=19

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
(Actually thanks for that, I wasn't having luck searching the artist)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Why does Queen speak with toriel's no contractions inflection?

Does Toby just think that's how queens talk?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, she is a computer (smart), so it could be more justified by her taking on a Lt. Cmdr. Data speaking style.

If Data had emotions and said "lmao" unironically, anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Does Toby just think that's how queens talk?

Have you ever heard a queen use contractions?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wait, hold on, Queen does use contractions tho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWSmVA_RrXs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, she is a computer (smart), so it could be more justified by her taking on a Lt. Cmdr. Data speaking style.

If Data had emotions and said "lmao" unironically, anyway.

Yeah what with Her Distinct Style Of Speaking I kinda figured it was a robot voice but sassier.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
She's like the google translate voice

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tenebrais posted:

Have you ever heard a queen use contractions?

Okay, I was going off of one "is it not" I saw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Combine stereotypical robot talk with a very formal way of speaking to go with the royal mannerisms and you get not a lot of contractions. Queen actually has a sense of humour though.

Actually she might be kinda the opposite of what Noelle's mom is implied to be; Queen is basically a 'fun mom' taken to an absurd, dangerous extreme and equally overbearing with it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Queen is to Carol Holiday as Lancer is to Susie.

It's not particularly subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Xad posted:

She's like the google translate voice

Isn't she literally google, as in the algorithms tracking everything you do and catering to what it assumes you need? Maybe people already talked this to death back when the game first came out, but my assumption was that Queen represents the "new" internet with targeted ads and whatnot, and that's why she replaced the old Spamton (representing spam emails, obviously) who was just throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck.

Like there were Queen posters literally covering up the Spamton posters.