Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Think we're going to get an episode or two without Travis at the table? I think he'll be absent this next session and be introduced midway through or at the end of the following. Mechanically maybe Travis has a character concept that doesn't quite work until Level 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Just got to the end of the episode. Goodness. Excited for what this means for the next episodes though (and I saw Matt’s tweet; I figured he and Travis put their heads together planning something out).

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Pussy Quipped posted:

I forgot about blood hunter. Maybe Travis will make the werewolf character of his dreams

Travis loves werewolves so much he went to see the rest of the twilight movies in the theater by himself after Laura bailed on the series.

I think the only reason we see lycanthropy so rarely in Exandria is that Matt knows Travis would jump out of character to get his PC bitten at the first opportunity.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xarph posted:

Travis loves werewolves so much he went to see the rest of the twilight movies in the theater by himself after Laura bailed on the series.

lmao travis is the best

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pleads posted:

Yeah Laudna is the warlock/sorc, Imogen is just sorc. So some empathic thing, not patron thing.

Still weird, I'm looking forward to more of what's happening there. I had to watch it twice because I thought I missed something, but there's not much explanation. Just a crazy thing that happened.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Matt “Dream Visions” Mercer

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Selfishly I'm hoping for either either an Armorer or Artillerist Artificer, just because I've always wanted to see those in action.

Realistically, I think the name The Anger came up? Which is a ppprrreeetttyyy good werewolf name...

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005
Travis seemed really excited about the Claret Orders when they came up last campaign. I don't think anyone would be surprised if he showed up as an Order of the Lycan Blood Hunter/Cleric.

"Order of the Lycan: Members of this order are afflicted with lycanthropy, and undergo a ritual known as The Taming in order to control the curse and combine it with their abilities of hemocraft"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A blast you say?

Travis comes back as a Level 3 character who carries nothing but Fluffernutters

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Crazy Ted posted:

A blast you say?

Travis comes back as a Level 3 character who carries nothing but Fluffernutters

A gunslinger who does nothing but talk trash and hate his weapons just to prod at Taliesin

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
So is Robbie sticking around for the long haul or is he eventually leaving?

I'm totally for new permanent cast member Robbie. At the very least, he needs to stick around for awhile longer. He fits in perfectly with the rest of the crew.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DaiJiaTeng posted:

So is Robbie sticking around for the long haul or is he eventually leaving?

I'm totally for new permanent cast member Robbie. At the very least, he needs to stick around for awhile longer. He fits in perfectly with the rest of the crew.

i don't think anyone's confirmed anything, but seems like all signs point to yes

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

I can see “special guests” sticking around for longer amounts of time for this campaign. Something like 15-20 episodes. So they could do that with Robbie.

But I’ll be honest, I’d love for Robbie to join permanently, I think he’s delightful.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Robbie's got a fantastic table presence and seems really into it, and they've been incorporating him into the bits more.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Just finished watching the episode - I didn't really like Bertrand for the first two episodes so I was surprised that he managed to endear himself to me right before he got shanked in an alleyway. I'm still not that sorry to see him go though because his "gimmick" of being useless in fights didn't really entertain me and I'm very excited to see his real character.

Also put me down as another person who'd really like to see Robbie as a permanent cast member. He works really well with the rest of the cast and frankly, the party needs a backup healer because I think Fearne likes murder more than she likes healing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If I didn't know better, you could probably tell me Robbie had been here the whole time and I'd believe it

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i am caught up. would take too long to say everything i want to say but main takeaways so far:

-love pretty much the entire cast. i kept my expectations reserved because i knew i'd have a hard time letting go of c2 characters after 3 years, but i'm already a fan of each character. there isn't one i don't like. even if orym is a bit 'dull' i think he's a great straight man. i didn't watch ExU but thinking maybe i should if only to see more ferne. and since i didn't watch that this is my first time seeing robbie and i already think he's great. imogen is probably the character i'm least invested in so far but i have no worries she'll be great. i mean i started off c2 even less interested in molly but when his death happened i fuckin cried and i don't do that at movies or shows. while a lot of is thanks to the genuine emotional reactions of the players and characters, i really had come around on molly.

-it's a bit amusing to me that robbie's character is named dorian and robbie himself kinda resembles dorian gray as he was portrayed in league of extraordinary gentlemen.

-am i the only one distracted by the mentions of 'dream theater' as a fan of the prog metal band of the same name?

-ep 3 is the hardest i've laughed at a CR episode in a long time. i absolutely love when the group has a plan that keeps going more and more wrong and ferne deciding to inadvertently torment orym by knocking and scratching on the door was killing me. gonna miss bertrand because i love when travis' characters get playfully bullied.

-this will be a hot take given what i've seen in the thread thus far but as creative and amusing as the gimmick is, i don't think i will be able to take an entire campaign of people vocally assisting laudna's whispers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

If I didn't know better, you could probably tell me Robbie had been here the whole time and I'd believe it

yeah i think he's fitting in so well because everyone is treating it exactly like he has been there the entire time, there's pretty much zero "let's focus on the new player" stuff

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Robbie already feels like a permanent member to me and I think if he only sticks around for an arc or something and then is suddenly replaced by someone else, it's going to be really jarring and whoever replaces him will have their work cut out for them. Especially since having watched ExU, this was Robbie's 11th quasi-consecutive episode.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Adus posted:

i didn't watch ExU but thinking maybe i should if only to see more ferne. and since i didn't watch that this is my first time seeing robbie and i already think he's great.

For what it's worth, I love Robbie and he was probably the least entertaining of the new cast and the exu characters to me. Not at all that he was bad, but Fearne is pure delight, Matt played Dariax with such amazing glee, I'm an Opal stan, and I thought Anjali was the exact addition the cast needed. That's not knocking Robbie---but if you like him and Fearne, I think exu be right up your alley.

Which is why I do hope that they continue rotating his chair among the ashholes. Though I'm assuming insurance told them they can't have Aimee, Laura, and Sam at the same table.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

For what it's worth, I love Robbie and he was probably the least entertaining of the new cast and the exu characters to me. Not at all that he was bad, but Fearne is pure delight, Matt played Dariax with such amazing glee, I'm an Opal stan, and I thought Anjali was the exact addition the cast needed. That's not knocking Robbie---but if you like him and Fearne, I think exu be right up your alley.

yeah robbie's character is also pretty clearly running from his past (even more clearly in ExU) and left nearly everything about his background a complete mystery, seemingly repeatedly lying about it or being very evasive and not really answering questions -- so we didn't exactly learn a ton about him in that setting

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Adus posted:

-am i the only one distracted by the mentions of 'dream theater' as a fan of the prog metal band of the same name?

You are not. I assume it's a deliberate reference.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Well, that was pretty good. It's like every cast member decided to be part of the Chaos Crew. I can see this table cracking up a lot more already.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Anyone else finding it a bit off-putting how they've been more and more avoiding anything copyrighted by WotC or am I just being a dumb, nitpicky nerd? Vecna is only being referred to as the Whispered One, deities are also referred to by title and not name, loxodon are pachydan, aarakocra are eisfuura, leonin are katari, even goliath are simply half-giants now.

I completely understand the business sense in doing so but it stands out to me as one of the biggest examples of how they've "gone corporate", which isn't to say that I can fault them for it.
Sure, it doesn't really matter, except for killing my dream of them visiting Sigil one day, but still it makes me miss the simpler times of the early years.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 7, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
How is avoiding getting into licensing deals with Wizards the more corporate path?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Considering they're releasing Exandria books through WotC and Matt does the pronunciation of monster audio on dndbeyond, it's likely nothing to do with avoiding lawsuits and more to do with reskinning existing creatures so their campaign setting books can use them for content like alternative races and stuff, instead of just referencing "the goliath stat block" or the like and cutting the ultimate page count of the volume.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Volte posted:

How is avoiding getting into licensing deals with Wizards the more corporate path?

They're protecting their business interests first and foremost, which again I want to emphasize that I don't blame them for this.
They know there's going to be comics, animated adaptions, maybe even video games so they're avoiding using anything they'll have to pay someone else to use.
They used to not care.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It also means they’re not married to WOTC in the future if the relationship sours. Hell, it’s already a bit of a hodgepodge, right? Saranrae is from pathfinder.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Volte posted:

Robbie already feels like a permanent member to me and I think if he only sticks around for an arc or something and then is suddenly replaced by someone else, it's going to be really jarring and whoever replaces him will have their work cut out for them. Especially since having watched ExU, this was Robbie's 11th quasi-consecutive episode.

Robbie is much better here than in ExU, but I still want to switch him out for Aimee for a bit. I just want maximum chaos.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Nemo2342 posted:

Robbie is much better here than in ExU, but I still want to switch him out for Aimee for a bit. I just want maximum chaos.

I love Aimee but she’s too “hear me out can I do x, y, and Z” and then the DM says “1, you’re restrained you can’t, also 2, you can’t see those things happening” and she didn’t get any better at that during the course of the game. It was frustrating to watch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AJA posted:

Marisha is just doing amazing this with this character.

I mean, Travis and Ashley are killing it with vocal characterization (is that the right term?), and Sam is always great, but the expressions and physical animation that Marisha's putting in are just next level. So much fun to watch.

Edit: seriously, don't just look at her face here, look at her hands. That's serious investment/commitment to the bit

https://twitter.com/Myrondrawsstuff/status/1456999235568615432?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

unrelated but this came up in some suggested tweets when i clicked on that, fan artists are ridiculously good

https://twitter.com/lappuncheung/status/1456998023050014723/photo/1

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Senjuro posted:

They're protecting their business interests first and foremost, which again I want to emphasize that I don't blame them for this.
They know there's going to be comics, animated adaptions, maybe even video games so they're avoiding using anything they'll have to pay someone else to use.
They used to not care.
I don't think it's about business interests as much as it is that Matt wants Exandria's world and lore to be his own thing as much as possible creatively speaking and not intentionally tied into some external stuff that he happened to incorporate in the early days. He majorly altered and attached his own lore to the pantheon all along (e.g., the Betrayer Gods/Calamity storyline) and he gave them his own titles back in campaign one when he wrote the first Tal'dorei campaign guide. After that was published, he started always referring to the pantheon with his own titles attached, like "Ioun, The Knowing Mistress" and "Pelor, The Dawnfather". Once they started campaign 2, they pretty much phased out the old names entirely. How many times did they say Melora in campaign two instead of Wildmother?

As far as Loxodon goes, they were never mentioned before until Aabria introduced one in ExU. From what I can tell they are from Magic the Gathering originally? Just from a creative point of view I definitely understand not wanting to keep that canon to my own world.

Volte fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 7, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

eke out posted:

unrelated but this came up in some suggested tweets when i clicked on that, fan artists are ridiculously good

https://twitter.com/lappuncheung/status/1456998023050014723/photo/1

This is the guy who has done a ton of CR stuff in this exact style. His working philosophy is basically to make it look like a still from a real CR animated film/series. And he nails it, check out the other stuff he’s done, it’s incredible.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I love looking up the fanart people make for this show.

https://twitter.com/MakenziePolkas/status/1453380201396805633

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It was funny how often Travis was trying to isolate Bertrand from the group.

Volte posted:

I don't think it's about business interests as much as it is that Matt wants Exandria's world and lore to be his own thing as much as possible creatively speaking and not intentionally tied into some external stuff that he happened to incorporate in the early days.
When the idea for an animated series for came up they undoubtedly talked to a lawyer. And that lawyer would have yelled at them to not use Hasbro's IP over and over until they feinted. If the animated series becomes a big hit, it can lead to Hasbro realizing there's a market there. At that point Hasbro's lawyers will shift gears into "protect the IP" and CR will have a huge headache on their hands. And very likely loose the business that's putting food on people's tables.
It might not be 100% about business, but avoiding the specific copyrighted stuff is nothing more then avoiding potential trouble.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 7, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Raygereio posted:

When the idea for an animated series for came up they undoubtedly talked to a lawyer. And that lawyer would have yelled at them to not use Hasbro's IP over and over until they feinted. If the animated series becomes a big hit, it can lead to Hasbro realizing there's a market there. At that point Hasbro's lawyers will shift gears into "protect the IP" and CR will have a huge headache on their hands. And very likely loose the business that's putting food on people's tables.
It might not be 100% about business, but avoiding the specific copyrighted stuff is nothing more then avoiding potential trouble.
I don't really see what the animated series has to do with anything. They obviously won't be using anything related to D&D in the series, but why would they? It's got nothing to do with D&D. It just seems pretty cynical to assume that a creator who has put almost ten years into building their own world would have no reason for wanting to eliminate the lingering tendrils tying it to a non-original world other than making money. I'm just failing to see how Exandria being its own unique world with no direct ties to existing games or properties is the corporate sell-out path, while partnering with a toy conglomerate to create officially licensed content for their toy brand is the honourable indie path.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The original Tal'Dorei campaign setting referred to all the deities with titles rather than names because CR wasn't so closely partnered up with WotC at the time and they just straight up didn't have the rights to publish a book where "the All Hammer" was correctly known as Moradin. Since then, WotC has smartly realized that CR is the best thing that's ever happened to the D&D brand and CR has all the permissions from them they could want - but CR is also very smart to be careful about how much they use borrowed content and maintaining a certain level of distance seems to be more a matter of caution than anything.

As for renaming the races, I don't mind it. It's just another way of being safe where they can. WotC doesn't own the concept of elves or dwarves or orcs, but they do own Loxodons and Aarakocra and Leonin. Might as well just call them something else. And Loxodon is a stupid name anyway.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So I'm assuming the "Shade Creepers" the party fought in the last episode were renamed, slightly modified Darklings, right?

The default lore for Darklings in 5E is that they are fey that were cursed by Titania, the Summer Queen. Given that Fearne was shown to have somehow angered an archfey called Lady Elmenore in Exandria Unlmited I wonder if there will be fey-related events happening fairly soon (seeing as most fey in 5E are on the lower-end of the CR spectrum).

I'm most interested in what Fearne's deal is because I'd love to learn more about the Feywild of Exandria and its archfey. Plus, Fearne is a Wildfire Druid and Lady Elmenore is referred to in the Tal'dorei Campaign Setting as the "High Warqueen of the Burning Vale", so I guess there's a section of the Feywild that's just constantly in flames or something.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005
I wonder if Travis comes back this episode or sits out a bit to keep the crew guessing? You can never ever top Sam showing up as Taryon the same episode he dropped the "What's my mother's name?" on the crew, but I love when Matt starts describing an character and goes "XXX, do you want to introduce yourself" and everyone else goes "OHHH!"