Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LvK posted:

I slam "Volk Han" down onto the table and let the rabble fight amongst themselves for the remaining four slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LvK posted:

I slam "Volk Han" down onto the table and let the rabble fight amongst themselves for the remaining four slots.
Volk Han counters your pathetic slam attempt into a cross heel hold.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Who are the five greatest wrestlers of all time? Think about it.

1. Jinder
2. Jinder
3. Jinder, 4. Jinder and 5. Jinder

Because he spit hot fire.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I respect the WON HOF discussions and all that (and I enjoy reading them!) but I came to the decision some time back that you yourself should just like who you like first and foremost. Especially if you're like me and you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of world wrestling through the ages. The whole thing is more fun that way.

But then how will you know you're winning at liking wrestlers?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What is the best wrestler’s nickname and why is it Budge?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Gooch

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

"The Wrestler" Katsuyori Shibata

and a special bonus from my local indie

"The Real Wrestler" Gavin McGavin

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I don't watch WWE, so when I saw people saying Karrion Kross had a disastrous run, I can't seem to find any information as to why it was so bad. Can someone explain?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't watch WWE, so when I saw people saying Karrion Kross had a disastrous run, I can't seem to find any information as to why it was so bad. Can someone explain?
When Kross hit the main roster, they stripped away everything that made him stand out in NXT, so he became just another guy. Also he jobbed to Jeff Hardy quickly in his RAW debut, and what made that worse was that he was still NXT Champion when it happened.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 5, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

imagine you took a guy who is mediocre at best and whose whole appeal is being booked strong and having a really hot valet and then you split them up, beat him like a drum, and dressed him up in this

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

When Kross hit the main roster, they stripped away everything that made him stand out in NXT, so he became just another guy. Also he jobbed to Jeff Hardy quickly in his RAW debut, and what made that worse was that he was still NXT Champion when it happened.

He was also undefeated at the time.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Forgot about that part. Double woof

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Volk Han counters your pathetic slam attempt into a cross heel hold.

I can't believe I got Wishmaster'd into death by Volk

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Silly Burrito posted:

I once saw someone on an indie nicknamed "Wrestling's Best Kept Secret" and it only took about a minute to understand why because he sucked out loud.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Silly Burrito posted:

THE Andrew "King" Takuma amazes me every time I see the name on a card because I can't even begin to reason out the process that led to a wrestler being called that.

what the gently caress he's the former dinosaur takuma? now I have even more questions

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How would a union actually work in North American pro wrestling?

I pro-union and know the benefits of being unionized, but with the indies / smaller-tier national feds / WWE + AEW and the way wrestlers move between them, how would it go about benefiting its members? Would be like the Actor's / Screenwriter's Guild?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CobiWann posted:

I pro-union and know the benefits of being unionized, but with the indies / smaller-tier national feds / WWE + AEW and the way wrestlers move between them, how would it go about benefiting its members? Would be like the Actor's / Screenwriter's Guild?

I think the main crux would be protecting guys from not having to do things they were concerned about safety wise, making sure guys can't be fired while injured if they got injured wrestling, and making sure they had all the relevant types of insurance, and making drat sure they had mental health coverage.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Would Regal be in the running for top five/ten best British wrestlers ever? Because I love Regal and the competition outside of like Dynamite Kid is probably not that great lol.

ZSJ and PAC are like, right there, and much as I dislike him, Ospreay.

And thats just current guys in major promotion s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spuckuk posted:

Haha, I totally forgot Pac when I was thinking of guys and he's one of the best!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the main crux would be protecting guys from not having to do things they were concerned about safety wise, making sure guys can't be fired while injured if they got injured wrestling, and making sure they had all the relevant types of insurance, and making drat sure they had mental health coverage.

I'd imagine they'd make sure the roster's travel and hotel costs were covered too.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I asked the wrong question - I meant to ask how would it (probably) work in terms of membership? Would it be like getting a SAG card? "You wrestled for this federation on this weekend, here's your card, it's good for one year?"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Dunne had the potential to be up there but NXT UK lamo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is zicky dice that guy from tough enough who was from louisiana?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nah, that guy wrestles as ZZ Loupe and he's only had like 4 matches ever.

Zicky Dice is now in a stable of trainees in Impact led by Brian Myers, along with VSK and Manny Lemons and I think some other dudes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i thought that guy's name was ziggy or zicky. Is why I asked.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

While not North American, the All-Parliamentary Group had a significant portion about a potential professional organisation of promoters/wrestlers: https://www.alexdaviesjones.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/833/2021/04/new-appg-wres_compressed.pdf

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I imagine they'd use SAG as a model, yeah.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I imagine they'd use SAG as a model, yeah.

tbh feels like the most straightforward step would just be to extend SAG membership and create a class in their for wrestlers. But that would require SAG not being like SAG sometimes are.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I guess dumb question but did any wrestling promotions ever reach out to OJ Simpson to appear at a show? Seems like something scummy and carny enough that it might have possibly happened during the late 90's.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bartok posted:

I guess dumb question but did any wrestling promotions ever reach out to OJ Simpson to appear at a show? Seems like something scummy and carny enough that it might have possibly happened during the late 90's.

https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/oj-simpson-roddy-piper/

Bruce Prichard claims they wanted to bring OJ in to get beaten up by Roddy Piper, and instead just filmed Piper driving a white Bronco during his match with Goldust. It's Bruce Prichard so take that as you will.

Edit: Or was it that they actually used the footage of the OJ chase and claimed it was Piper?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 8, 2021

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/oj-simpson-roddy-piper/

Bruce Prichard claims they wanted to bring OJ in to get beaten up by Roddy Piper, and instead just filmed Piper driving a white Bronco during his match with Goldust. It's Bruce Prichard so take that as you will.

Edit: Or was it that they actually used the footage of the OJ chase and claimed it was Piper?

They did legitimately use the Bronco chase footage on WrestleMania XII, yes.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lamuella posted:

tbh feels like the most straightforward step would just be to extend SAG membership and create a class in their for wrestlers. But that would require SAG not being like SAG sometimes are.
Doesn't the signatory rule make that incredibly tricky, though, in a way that it wouldn't have been before that rule was part of the deal? Like yes, in the era where Tommy Wiseau could get a SAG card for shooting an unaired commercial for his weird sketchy irregular jeans outlet store, they absolutely should have just added pro wrestlers. But now?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who was Video Bob in regards to World Class? I've heard he was behind how good their TV was. Like the head producer? Editor?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Who was Video Bob in regards to World Class? I've heard he was behind how good their TV was. Like the head producer? Editor?
Bob Van Gyurcy (sp? He's in the credits of UWF shows; it's pronounced "Van Gurcy.") or something like that. Long time Dallas-area post-production guy. I don't think he was part of the original World Class crew with KXTX, but he was a big part of the UWF production team and Andrews Entertainment-era WCCW.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Where did Bilibili move the language/audio stream option? A lot of wrestling videos with both Japanese and English audio used to have an option on the bottom where you could switch between the two. It looks like they got rid of it or moved it, but I'm still seeing videos with "bilingual" or "English commentary" in the titles.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Did anyone from AEW ever talk more about the issue of unions? I only ask because I remember reading comments when it first started that hinted that they would be leaning in that direction, but I was sceptical for the obvious reasons. I understand that they've helped a number of workers privately.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did anyone from AEW ever talk more about the issue of unions? I only ask because I remember reading comments when it first started that hinted that they would be leaning in that direction, but I was sceptical for the obvious reasons. I understand that they've helped a number of workers privately.

Cody, if I recall a very distant interview/tweet right, is anti-union or believes it unnecessary at AEW

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

With that Eddie Kingston article going around, I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with his runs in ROH and TNA. That would be the closest to the "big time" that would have been around pre-AEW (of course excepting WWE). Did they underutilize him? Was he in TNA when they were in that weird space after the Spike TV deal was gone and they were barely on TV and mostly just on Twitch?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He was in TNA as part of a well received angle featuring Konnan, Homicide, Santana, Ortiz and Diamanté.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

With that Eddie Kingston article going around, I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with his runs in ROH and TNA. That would be the closest to the "big time" that would have been around pre-AEW (of course excepting WWE). Did they underutilize him? Was he in TNA when they were in that weird space after the Spike TV deal was gone and they were barely on TV and mostly just on Twitch?

He was used OK in his first off and on run with ROH. They used him briefly in the CZW feud, then more regularly a few years later with the highlight being a brutal feud with Hero. Then later on they teamed him up with Homicide it didn't work at all. His stuff in TNA with the LAX feud is very good for what it is. He wasn't used as a top guy, but I don't think Eddie was quite the performer he is right now. He's obviously been able to talk for years, and was fine in the ring, very good in certain situations but his matches have been the best consistently they've ever been. He turned a corner and that article is easy to see why.