Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I think people aren't talking necessarily about the accuracy or effectiveness of the keyboards, but more on how responsive the keyboards are with iPhones. They've always had the right amount of response and feel to them going all the way back to like the iPhone 4. Even if you've found an Android phone or software keyboard you like it can be good, especially in its own ways, but it just has never been up to snuff against iPhones.

imo of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

For sure, Gboard on iPhone is essential

The iOS keyboard sucks but Gboard on iPhone sucks just as hard. It's the same layout and doesn't even try to be different.

If I'm not mistaken, they CAN'T be different and the keyboard is forced to be like Apple's.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I flat out do not like the touch response on the iphone full stop. I can't type accurately no matter the keyboard, I'm always pulling poo poo sideways when I want to just go up and down, and edge rejection is so drat aggressive that it takes me about 5 attempts to have it register when I press the 3 dots on a fullscreen YouTube video to access the playback menu.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've never had touch response issues on the iPhone 12 Pro Max or the 13 Pro Max but the keyboard situation is so bad, I went back to Pixel.

The Pixel 6 Pro is so nice, curved screen and all, I can't stop picking it up and just...using it. Also the battery life is approaching 12 Pro Max for me, I charged it to 100% yesterday at about 5PM. It's currently 9PM the next day and it's at 29% with heavy use and AdGuard running. Though I might switch to NextDNS because I don't need the app running like I do with AdGuard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It might just be I'm weird about keyboards :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've never had touch response issues on the iPhone 12 Pro Max or the 13 Pro Max but the keyboard situation is so bad, I went back to Pixel.

The Pixel 6 Pro is so nice, curved screen and all, I can't stop picking it up and just...using it. Also the battery life is approaching 12 Pro Max for me, I charged it to 100% yesterday at about 5PM. It's currently 9PM the next day and it's at 29% with heavy use and AdGuard running. Though I might switch to NextDNS because I don't need the app running like I do with AdGuard.

Same. The 6 Pro is genuinely a joy to use. I haven't enjoyed a phone this much since maybe the first pixel? And yeah the adaptive batter has really kicked in for me. Massive difference.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

bull3964 posted:

I flat out do not like the touch response on the iphone full stop. I can't type accurately no matter the keyboard, I'm always pulling poo poo sideways when I want to just go up and down, and edge rejection is so drat aggressive that it takes me about 5 attempts to have it register when I press the 3 dots on a fullscreen YouTube video to access the playback menu.
I dunno, it’s weird, I can’t type for poo poo on gboard on my Motorola, but I can type perfectly fine on the stock iPhone keyboard. :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

The iOS keyboard sucks but Gboard on iPhone sucks just as hard. It's the same layout and doesn't even try to be different.

If I'm not mistaken, they CAN'T be different and the keyboard is forced to be like Apple's.

Gboard has haptic feedback

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I have been fighting adaptive brightness on my Pixel 6 all week and I finally just turned it off. It refuses to learn not to blind me at night, and it annoyingly will keep going back to high brightness even when I'm sitting in one spot after manually turning it down. This is the first phone where I've had any kind of problem with a auto-brightness feature.

Love the phone otherwise, and I honestly kinda like most of the UI changes in 12.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hey why does the Twitter app scroll like absolutely dogshit on the P6 Pro

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Are you on a crap network because it sends dozens of requests with every few pixel heights you scroll to track how much you are scrolling and for analytics purposes to make you want to scroll more later

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

I wanna say people were complaining it scrolled like poo poo on the iPhone 13 pros too, probably just an extremely lovely app

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

It's a lovely app. Doesn't handle the faster refresh rate at all, properly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pretty happy with the 20x zoom. On the fold 3 this would be two tiny green dots

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's been fine on the numerous other 120hz phones I've had. Something odd about it on pixel 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's been fine on the numerous other 120hz phones I've had. Something odd about it on pixel 6.

A lot of people on other phones report issues with the app as well. It's not a Pixel 6 problem. It's just a lovely app.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Someone else posted about this before but my pixel 6 is also experiencing regular reboots 2-3 times a day. So you're not alone whoever you are.
I thought it was weird that it required my pin login 3 times a day until I actually witnessed the phone reboot in while in use. Then it clicked together that the phone was rebooting rather than requiring pin login. It also explains why some notifications were so late.

Now I'm on hold with tmobile trying to exchange this phone.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Google chose no-name logistics company OnTrac to ship me my Pixel 6. OnTrac appears to either have lost the package or have a lovely tracking system as their website indicates it hasn't budged from Ontario, CA for over a week now and we're zooming past "committed delivery dates" like nobody's business.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lostleaf posted:

Someone else posted about this before but my pixel 6 is also experiencing regular reboots 2-3 times a day. So you're not alone whoever you are.
I thought it was weird that it required my pin login 3 times a day until I actually witnessed the phone reboot in while in use. Then it clicked together that the phone was rebooting rather than requiring pin login. It also explains why some notifications were so late.

Unsure if it'll be the same for you, but my wife restored a backup from a Pixel 4a and was having random shutdowns a handful of times a day. When she set it up fresh, the shutdowns went away.

Of course, it was dropping network connection and had poor reception even when it was connected, so we are getting it replaced anyway :sweatdrop:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just use the mobile browser version of twitter and it's fine?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Google chose no-name logistics company OnTrac to ship me my Pixel 6. OnTrac appears to either have lost the package or have a lovely tracking system as their website indicates it hasn't budged from Ontario, CA for over a week now and we're zooming past "committed delivery dates" like nobody's business.

Many years ago their Twitter guy was on point and helped me find some packages stuck in the system. Might be an avenue to getting it moving.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

FunOne posted:

Many years ago their Twitter guy was on point and helped me find some packages stuck in the system. Might be an avenue to getting it moving.

I've had a fair number of things shipped through them, and the one time I needed to contact them customer service was fairly helpful (my delivery showed that it was unable to be delivered because of road conditions or being in a gated community, neither of which made sense - the delivery ended up arriving the next day).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Last night I noticed that my 6 Pro showed 78% charge according to the AOD but when I unplugged and unlocked it it was actually fully charged, anyone experience anything similar?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Incessant Excess posted:

Last night I noticed that my 6 Pro showed 78% charge according to the AOD but when I unplugged and unlocked it it was actually fully charged, anyone experience anything similar?

Stop eating cheese before bedtime, buddy

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
How do I stop Google snapshot from showing me the card where I parked my car? I don't have a car.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BabyFur Denny posted:

How do I stop Google snapshot from showing me the card where I parked my car? I don't have a car.

poo poo, it ruined the surprise.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Are you on a crap network because it sends dozens of requests with every few pixel heights you scroll to track how much you are scrolling and for analytics purposes to make you want to scroll more later

sourdough posted:

I wanna say people were complaining it scrolled like poo poo on the iPhone 13 pros too, probably just an extremely lovely app

CLAM DOWN posted:

It scrolls fine on a 13 Pro and mostly fine on a Fold 3, so it's something with the 6 or something with non-Samsung Android phones maybe.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Android authority posted:

Google Pixel 6 charging power tops out at 22W, not 30W.

quote:

Google's new 30W charger saves you just 10 minutes over the old 18W model. Hardly worth the money.
Uh wow. Maybe waiting to enable it later but... not a great look. The pixel stand 2 would in theory charge 1 W faster...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have the official Pixel 6 Pro case? I'm looking at the Light Frost one and wondering if they're worth it. The Spigen I got is nice but the frosted one looks better....does it protect too or just...not really?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

S22 Ultra leaked IRL

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/11/05/galaxy-s22-ultra-real-world-leak-s-pen/

Looks like it's taking over for the note in every way but name. The lack of raised cameras (well, in comparison to the current) makes me think they are going to make the thing a bit thicker so they can still fit a 5000mAh cell with the S-Pen.
Personally I think that looks terrible and I'd prefer the edge bump the S21 models have and the non-Ultra S22 are supposedly gonna get. It wouldn't need to be thicc AF in the case of the Ultra, but it'd sure look nicer visually. That however just looks like babby's first CAD project.

And since they still protrude, it won't lay flat on a table.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

lostleaf posted:

It doesn't really help you, but mine often asks for a pin to unlock despite me using fingerprint (and being in a trusted place). But I'm fairly confident it has not been restarting, at least not each or those times, because it has been on my desk next to me while I work.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I may be unconsciously hitting the power button when done with it each time, which locks it. I miss my 3xl's rear fingerprint reader that allowed me to unlock instantly almost without thinking about it.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 6, 2021

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My Pixel 6 Pro mysteriously showed up on the 4th after showing 11/12-11/18. I went to bed around midnight on the 3rd and when I woke up, I had a couple emails from T-Mobile that were sent in the middle of the night along with one from UPS stating it was on a truck for delivery.

My case was already here. I got the VRS Design wallet case. It's a little girthy, but I hate carrying a separate wallet and there's still too many places around here that still need a debit card for payment.

So far, I really like it aside from the worst fingerprint reader on a phone I've ever had.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kirk Vikernes posted:

So far, I really like it aside from the worst fingerprint reader on a phone I've ever had.

I don't understand people who post things like this. This is the most accurate fingerprint scanner I've ever used. My Pixel 5 would maybe have a 50% success rate. This one is 100% so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

minusX posted:

Uh wow. Maybe waiting to enable it later but... not a great look. The pixel stand 2 would in theory charge 1 W faster...

Google advertises that it goes 0-50% in 30 minutes. It does. Those are the only specific charging claims of the phone.

So, I'm not sure what the "not a good look" thing is about. It would be nice if it peaked out a bit higher and didn't back off as aggressively, but claims of bait and switch are dumb as poo poo because sustained 30w charging was never promised.

I also love fact that the collective internet said "it's not worth getting a different adapter to charge a bit faster" but now it's a sudden scandal that it doesn't change as fast as people were hoping.

The S21 Ultra graph should be generating more discussion because.

a) It's drawing more power than it says it should.
b) Flatline charging wattage seems to go directly against what PPS was designed to do with respect to charging speed and battery health.

The real difference in charging speeds really doesn't have anything to do with 22w vs 30 honestly. The real difference is the S21 Ultra holds 20w all the way to 90%. I would say that's probably a reason why you can turn off super fast charging in settings. I can't imagine that's good for long term health.

I'm sure there will be a collective freakout again when the pixel stand 2 doesn't change the phone a quick as people were hoping.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand people who post things like this. This is the most accurate fingerprint scanner I've ever used. My Pixel 5 would maybe have a 50% success rate. This one is 100% so far.
you seem to be taking criticism of this device personally. i'll agree i get fewer bad reads, but it takes significantly longer, especially when i'm used to putting my finger on the sensor and having my phone unlocked before i even see the screen.

now that i've had my pro for a week, i can give it my review. it's a good phone except it's too big and too heavy. the added screen size over the 5 offers no additional utility to me and its bulk stymies my usage. it's now a stretch to type with one hand and some activities are no longer possible with one hand. i hold the phone with it resting on my 5th finger and the added weight is noticeable. i can't imagine what it would be like trying to use it with a case. battery life is not as good as the 5, but it lasts me more than a day so that's all i need.
overall it feels like a downgrade from the 5 but i've already given it away so i'm stuck with this behemoth for a year

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Pixel 5 would maybe have a 50% success rate.

What

The P5 has an actual fingerprint reader, op. How was that only hitting 50% for you?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

you seem to be taking criticism of this device personally. i'll agree i get fewer bad reads, but it takes significantly longer, especially when i'm used to putting my finger on the sensor and having my phone unlocked before i even see the screen.

I'm not taking anything personally, that's a weird thing to say.

The Pixel 5 and previous pixel fingerprint readers were rear end. This one has yet to miss a single scan.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone have the official Pixel 6 Pro case? I'm looking at the Light Frost one and wondering if they're worth it. The Spigen I got is nice but the frosted one looks better....does it protect too or just...not really?

I like it a lot, but I wanted a rubbery bumper case, and it's a rubbery bumper case. It's not hard plastic.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've had a fair number of things shipped through them, and the one time I needed to contact them customer service was fairly helpful (my delivery showed that it was unable to be delivered because of road conditions or being in a gated community, neither of which made sense - the delivery ended up arriving the next day).

As someone in logistics let me tell you that there's a million reasons poo poo gets stuck. Talk to someone and the problem usually vanishes.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not taking anything personally, that's a weird thing to say.

The Pixel 5 and previous pixel fingerprint readers were rear end. This one has yet to miss a single scan.

I'm not sure my Pixel XL ever missed a fingerprint read the entire three years I owned it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BabyFur Denny posted:

Click your profile picture, scroll down to the "You" section and click it, Transportation.