Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As somebody who's only watched the English versions, is there a particular foreign language version you'd recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pinwiz11 posted:

That's the second week in a row where I was absolutely destroyed by Victoria's prize entry... :allears:

Sadly, Greg is slightly less appreciative of her prizes :arghfist:

oh jay posted:

It would, however, make an amazing drunk party game, so Imma add that to my repertoire when organizing events.

:hmmyes:

Heavy_D posted:

I think the studio task itself was absolutely fine, just the attempts let it down. I guessed Victoria's was a spider too, because she worked out how to abstract her subject into the simplest possible drawing + instructions. It helped that spider is fairly easy do do that with, but I think some of the others were possible too so long as you didn't fixate on recreating the given drawing. Like castle needs to be much simpler - one large square, then a line from top left going up-right-down-right-up-right etc to make the crenellations. Or Morgana's attempt, if she'd started with a square/circle container before launching into her line ASMR, she'd have had a shot at a guessable drawing.

The castle was needlessly complicated, yeah. They didn't really try to be clever with it. Except Morgana. She tried to indicate the length of the lines by the way she said it (but nobody got that). She probably should have tried singing her "line line line" in scales. That would've given them a big hint... which would've resulted probably in guitar or xylophone drawings. That's why I think they should've had another round so they could get used to the idea of conveying ideas with a limited vocabulary.

Rochallor posted:

As somebody who's only watched the English versions, is there a particular foreign language version you'd recommend?

The New Zealand version :v:

itry fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 5, 2021

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Rochallor posted:

I'd go with Kongen Befaler - the only thing it lacks from the UK/NZ format is team tasks. It's got a good mix of original tasks and UK tasks done with power tools, and the solves are as entertaining as that sounds. The taskmaster is suitably authoritative, although the assistant isn't quite as much a personality as Alex.

Stormester drops teams tasks and the prize task (like in the US version, one contestant stakes a valuable item each week), and you'll have seen more of the house tasks before. One thing the show does more often is tasks where the contestants have months to prepare something for the studio show. Taskmaster and assistant both work really well here.

Bäst i Test takes way more liberties with the format than any other adaption I've seen. Takes a while to warm to it, but it does have a long run with a number of interesting and original tasks. Suurmestari feels like it's based as much on this version as the original, and it's still a bit fledgling in terms of tasks.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

For anyone who is enamoured with Morgana, watch the Milan episode of Travel Man. It's pretty good.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love this season because I often feel like an idiot after Only Connect, and now it is VCM who feels like an idiot.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is really amazing how much she doesn't get about simple things. No bike riding, doesn't know how a slide whistle works, doesn't know how to fold a paper airplane...

My gf asked what's wrong with her, and I responded "she probably grew up in one of those families where playing anagram games where the height of excitement." I've enjoyed her appearances on QI and other panel shows to the point that she was my favorite going into the season, but boy oh boy her lack of general knowledge is quite surprising.

E: seriously, when she started spinning the slide, I teared up laughing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Catching up on old seasons. Joe Thomas has quite the extraordinary array of facial expressions.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I think VCM puts on a lot of the stuff about her not knowing things, especially culturally (through media osmosis).

Just a feeling I get.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Catching up on old seasons. Joe Thomas has quite the extraordinary array of facial expressions.

His and Sian's greeting in the first team task is iconic.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

oh jay posted:

His and Sian's greeting in the first team task is iconic.

That season isn't close to my favourite, but it had some great moments. Joe and Sian were a hilarious team, the train yard hide and seek was fantastic (Sian: "Can we keep playing?"), and I absolutely love how mortified Ian was in the studio when he saw how he was treating Lou during their team task.

Fake Edit: gently caress, Ian's attempt at a volcano lmao

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

That season isn't close to my favourite, but it had some great moments. Joe and Sian were a hilarious team, the train yard hide and seek was fantastic (Sian: "Can we keep playing?"), and I absolutely love how mortified Ian was in the studio when he saw how he was treating Lou during their team task.

"Welcome to your new life" is another great moment from that season

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My gf asked what's wrong with her, and I responded "she probably grew up in one of those families where playing anagram games where the height of excitement."

Given what a shower of cunts she had/has for a family it's amazing that she's turned out vaguely well adjusted (or at least keeps her worst thoughts to herself). But yeah, i can't imagine that was a fun household to grow up in.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

An Ounce of Gold posted:

It is really amazing how much she doesn't get about simple things. No bike riding, doesn't know how a slide whistle works, doesn't know how to fold a paper airplane...

My gf asked what's wrong with her, and I responded "she probably grew up in one of those families where playing anagram games where the height of excitement." I've enjoyed her appearances on QI and other panel shows to the point that she was my favorite going into the season, but boy oh boy her lack of general knowledge is quite surprising.

E: seriously, when she started spinning the slide, I teared up laughing.

Book smart people like Victoria/Paul sinha are really good at a particular thing and thick as poo poo clueless about literally anything else

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I absolutely love Guz and his fondness for Alex shines through in everything he does on the show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A huge part of how enjoyable VCM is on this show is guessing if this is going to be a 'totally lost' or 'completely amazing'.

I don't think she actively puts on about not knowing things but I think her tendency to get a bit flustered and covering for it makes it seem more exaggerated than it actually is. That and her more deadpan sense of humour.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 6, 2021

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Victoria's always has a cool confidence in everything else she's on, so seeing her completely flustered is endearing. Her game attempts to defend her choices to Greg are hilarious.

There's no real weak link this series, Morgana's schtick can wear a bit thin sometimes but that's the extent of it. Guz is fantastic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I feel a bit sorry for Victoria, because she is always very serious when she tries to explain her bizarre choices, and when Greg invariably calls her reasoning rubbish, she seems legitimately crestfallen. Made it so much more satisfying to see her succeed with the latest prize task.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

LesterGroans posted:

If I needed to explain to a child the definition of hubris, I would just play that clip, it's perfect. Another essential task from Series 8 is the best apology for the worst thing done to Alex - it's a great task, open-ended and operating on two axes at once, and the responses don't disappoint.

Latest Kongen Befaler tasks:

quote:

- Prize: Most unnecessary purchase
- Turn all of this single cream into whipped cream. Fastest wins.
- Create life. You have 100 days.
- Atle's drying rack has fallen into the pool. Get his laundry as dry as possible in 20 minutes.
- Live: The audience has been asked what they associate with the contestants. Take it in turns to pick a statement that you think is about you. Most statements chosen correctly wins.
Create life is an absolute dynamite task, maybe task of the year. It's got the elegance of some of the TM NZ tasks like Fly or Time-travel, while also inviting you to play god. And without spoiling it, some of the attempts really do deliver...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I feel a bit sorry for Victoria, because she is always very serious when she tries to explain her bizarre choices, and when Greg invariably calls her reasoning rubbish, she seems legitimately crestfallen. Made it so much more satisfying to see her succeed with the latest prize task.

I feel like there's a 50/50 chance that she's actually bullshitting him with a straight face and it's impossible to tell because of how good she is at it

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I absolutely love Guz and his fondness for Alex shines through in everything he does on the show.

Guz is my favourite. Did anyone else notice him handing out the prizes from last week's episode (where the prizes were for each other)? Too cute.

Guz>Morgana>Desiree>Victoria>>>Alan

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Heavy_D posted:

I think the studio task itself was absolutely fine, just the attempts let it down. I guessed Victoria's was a spider too, because she worked out how to abstract her subject into the simplest possible drawing + instructions. It helped that spider is fairly easy do do that with, but I think some of the others were possible too so long as you didn't fixate on recreating the given drawing. Like castle needs to be much simpler - one large square, then a line from top left going up-right-down-right-up-right etc to make the crenellations. Or Morgana's attempt, if she'd started with a square/circle container before launching into her line ASMR, she'd have had a shot at a guessable drawing.

The points were low, but the attempts were still entertaining, at least to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the recent episode of the norwegian Taskmaster the contestants was tasked with creating life in 100 days. One of the contestants managed to hatch a chicken from a store bought egg and another contestant got his wife pregnant.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Now that's dedication.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Ian's appearance on the podcast was quite interesting and made me like him quite a bit more, he basically said that because he wasn't that comfortable appearing on panel show type tv he tried to compensate by playing up a cocky, over-competative character, then as the studio recordings went on realised he'd totally misjudged it and was just coming off as a dick

Watching the series with that in mind you can really see the realisation dawn, and its actually quite endearing

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
"Yeah, that's good poo poo."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The combination of simplicity and effectiveness of a giant balloon popping made it my favourite studio task this series.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Seeing Hugh Dennis in the latest Bond film was a delight, even if he gets shot to death within five minutes of his introduction.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Victoria has a weakness for not being able to stop footballs it seems.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't believe Victoria invented Calvinball.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Morgana not winning that prize task is the biggest scoring mistake of the whole show

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
GUZBALL GUZBALL GUZBALL

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan visibly resigning to his fate as he realized immediately Victoria was enthusiastically heading down the wrong path :allears:

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Was it the wrong path though? I really liked their sport, and their commentary was better too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
See, this is why I'm convinced her Man U season ticket gift to Alan was genuine.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

its beside the point but surely theres no reason to stay sat down in the studio task after everyone else has sat up? Theres no benefit to cutting it really close if you've already beaten everyone else but in all three rounds the last person did it and Desiree even through away winning the round because of it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

its beside the point but surely theres no reason to stay sat down in the studio task after everyone else has sat up? Theres no benefit to cutting it really close if you've already beaten everyone else but in all three rounds the last person did it and Desiree even through away winning the round because of it

I'm reasonably sure they couldn't see each other.

E: Were they also wearing headphones? I don't think anyone tried to fake pop, which would be a good tactic, if they could hear each other.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 13, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah there were screens in between each contestant so they couldn't see each other

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWk6XKh6zE

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Oh wow guess i'm the idiot, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Taskmaster NZ series 1 did a similar studio task with just the toaster and there all the contestants wore blindfolds, but the partitions work better for the balloon because you get to see everyone getting increasingly nervous as it gets larger and larger.