Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How long until the GOP has enough majority for a constitutional convention that makes the democratic party illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

How long until the GOP has enough majority for a constitutional convention that makes the democratic party illegal?

lol why would they do this and risk a competent opponent arising in its place?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Horseshoe theory posted:

Hard to be a blunder when it's intentional.

If it was intentional, they'd have cocked it up and given us literally everything we wanted, they're such a bunch of fuckups lol.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

I pray for this.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The progressive caucus is much larger than those 6. Like 80 progressives folded on this.

yeah but the definition of "progressive" had already shifted to mean "massive succ lord" after :abuela: started calling herself one

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

lol why would they do this and risk a competent opponent arising in its place?

If it came to this, do you really think it would just be the democrats who get outlawed out of existence bud?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

indigi posted:

Bernard should filibuster everything going forward or he’s a punk bitch forever

ftfy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MLSM posted:

If it came to this, do you really think it would just be the democrats who get outlawed out of existence bud?

even a one-party state could have a more competent opposition than the democrats

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
it’s 2/3 of state legislatures to call a convention and 3/4 to approve the changes, right? So 34 to call it and 38 to ratify?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lord of Pie posted:

yeah but the definition of "progressive" had already shifted to mean "massive succ lord" after :abuela: started calling herself one

Maybe a few of them. I don't know much about the membership, but they elected Jayapal their leader, so there's a large chunk of them selling out

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

chilled back better :cool::slick::snoop:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

American Progressives are progressive in the same way the Progressive Conservative Party was.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

etalian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhI_ugygPQI

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe a few of them. I don't know much about the membership, but they elected Jayapal their leader, so there's a large chunk of them selling out
Is electing Jayapal meant to be evidence of them not being succ lords?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

etalian posted:

The dems are an essential part of the ruling class's strangle hold, why would they ever get rid of them? The democrats exist to codify and validate every rightward lurch. Republicans cut taxes 10%, democrats increase them 5%, and we get told thats the most anyone can ever hope for. The republicans builds an anti-immigrant task force so loathsome the cops don't even want to deal with them and the democrats make cooperation mandatory. The republicans propagate culture war bullshit as cover for dismantling rights and protections and the democrats obligingly weakly mewl without ever passing any legislation to actually protect those rights. Abortion rights rested on Supreme Court ruling for almost 50 years without a positive legal right being established through legislation.

The real question is how long until they can enshrine right to work and the abolition of capital gains taxes in the constitution

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oh hey it's time for this thread again :woop: :woop: :hellyeah:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Victory Position posted:

oh hey it's time for this thread again :woop: :woop: :hellyeah:

I tell ya, the 2005 version of the "the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022" thread was a wild time

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Kazzah posted:

I tell ya, the 2005 version of the "the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022" thread was a wild time

Oh. No, this is an easy mistake to make, but George W Bush was a Republican.

No, I don't know what the difference is either.

Edit: I actually don't know what I was getting at here, but given neither party actually does much to step on each other's toes I don't think either has really 'lost'.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Nov 7, 2021

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Horseshoe theory posted:

American Progressives are progressive in the same way the Progressive Conservative Party was.

American progressives are the progressive rock of rock.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The 2006 blue wave was a fun time and exactly what the GOP deserved for threatening to gently caress with social security.

Nothing much came out of it besides that one goon made Mallard Fillmore parody comic and owning Bush.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The 2006 blue wave was a fun time and exactly what the GOP deserved for threatening to gently caress with social security.

Nothing much came out of it besides that one goon made Mallard Fillmore parody comic and owning Bush.

The dem story is once how they win a majority, they find reasons not to do anything with their new found political power.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

The dem story is once how they win a majority, they find reasons not to do anything with their new found political power.

at least theyve now talked themselves down from "we can't get anything done because we only have 59 senators" to "we can't get anything done because we only have 50 senators"

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1457683736905011210

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
https://twitter.com/CatJova/status/1457033202728538112
imagine joe and nancy having a one on one conversation sounding like your dad's dad and your mom's mom on thanksgiving at 6PM, meds wearing off, extra glass of port kicking their rear end... discussing their roles as leaders in the democratic party.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

The dems are an essential part of the ruling class's strangle hold, why would they ever get rid of them? The democrats exist to codify and validate every rightward lurch. Republicans cut taxes 10%, democrats increase them 5%, and we get told thats the most anyone can ever hope for. The republicans builds an anti-immigrant task force so loathsome the cops don't even want to deal with them and the democrats make cooperation mandatory. The republicans propagate culture war bullshit as cover for dismantling rights and protections and the democrats obligingly weakly mewl without ever passing any legislation to actually protect those rights. Abortion rights rested on Supreme Court ruling for almost 50 years without a positive legal right being established through legislation.

The real question is how long until they can enshrine right to work and the abolition of capital gains taxes in the constitution

Because the "ruling class" isn't a united faction and the GOP establishment has been increasingly captured by the insane true believer base that thinks even their most tepid opponents are literal communists.

The whole controlled opposition thing is how the system used to work but now it's breaking down and while the Democratic side of it is still functioning as intended the Republican side of it has turned into a howling mob of death cult fascists that want autocracy.

Edit: lol we'll probably get a GOP constitutional convention at the same time as Trump's second term and any facade of the country not being a dictatorship will be swept away even if it's an obviously bad idea because the Trump administration is a perfect storm of malevolence and stupidity.

Vernii has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Nov 8, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vernii posted:

Because the "ruling class" isn't a united faction and the GOP establishment has been increasingly captured by the insane true believer base that thinks even their most tepid opponents are literal communists.

The whole controlled opposition thing is how the system used to work but now it's breaking down and while the Democratic side of it is still functioning as intended the Republican side of it has turned into a howling mob of death cult fascists that want autocracy.

Edit: lol we'll probably get a GOP constitutional convention at the same time as Trump's second term and any facade of the country not being a dictatorship will be swept away even if it's an obviously bad idea because the Trump administration is a perfect storm of malevolence and stupidity.

the dumbest possible result would be a constitutional convention convenes but it turns out the only actual amendment 38 states can agree on is getting rid of term limits so trump can be president forever, so that's what will happen

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Is electing Jayapal meant to be evidence of them not being succ lords?

The CPC is such a bizarre loving organization. Uh, yeah, the CPC resolved to vote in favor of the BIF, and most members did. You know, just not our whip. Does ilhan omar actually whip for the CPC? Does anybody? Did omar have to whip to make sure they had enough votes for BIF so that she could turn around and vote against it? What is the point of this thing? At least this term everyone on the leadership team is notionally progressive, Hakeem Jeffries used to be a deputy (he's still a member).

Hell, this guy used to be the chair:

quote:

“So many candidates have proposals right now that I don't think we've been chasing the presidential candidates proposals,” said Pocan, the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

While open to the idea of a wealth tax, he said his caucus was focusing on expanding the earned income tax credit and having it distributed monthly instead of just once a year.

“I think that’s really what captivates more of our current interest is taking a look at that,” he said.

EDIT: Not that jayapal is a meaningful force for good, just that they didn't even used to pretend.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Vernii posted:

yeah, I work with a few of these nutters who genuinely believe a lifelong capitalist ghoul like Biden (Mr. Credit Card!) wants to usher in “Red America,” as they eloquently put it. But I live in the South so that’s normal thinking in this humid shithole. The amount of dirt poor Christian lumpenproles here is nauseating.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Why do so many moderates think a braying death cult is a decent alternative to people fighting for $15 minimum wage? I hang out with people and they're in loving space. They think all the crazies are Democrats. Marjorie Taylor Greene barely means anything to folks when AOC is out there doing her thing. It's just too much, folks. The specter of ANTIFA hangs over all my arguments, yet when I advance the idea I constantly see red-faced, vulgar Trump supporters flying flags and disrupting life on my daily commute they go silent. I've yet to even see a poster demanding better wages on my drive, let alone gently caress TRUMP INTO THE GROUND signs. It's all willful, isn't it?

https://twitter.com/rightwingwatch/status/1457751532867358725?s=21

Somehow teaching history and giving people a little help scares people more than this? I don’t get it!!’n

turnip kid has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Nov 8, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm glad of it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

turnip kid posted:

Why do so many moderates think a braying death cult is a decent alternative to people fighting for $15 minimum wage?

I live in Chudland and if you're genuinely asking the answer is twofold. One, and this is only for those old enough to remember, but the dems have been in control in their regions for decades prior to them flipping gop and they still live in economic squalor. They don't have to be Engels to see that things are worse.

The much larger reason is that conservatives actually do have a project. That project is of course the construction of a fascist white ethnostate, but it's a long term goal with measurable milestones. That looks like "progress" because it is in fact moving toward something.

There is no neoliberal project because we live in it, it's here already. "America is already great". Even if you're in the bourgeoisie, you're well aware that your position is tenuous if and increasingly when things turn downward. Your only two political choices are those telling you things are fine when you know they aren't and conservatives willing to point to "others" whose fault things aren't better. In the absence of a political solution, blame is at least more palatable than throwing in with the people who got you here.

The tl;dr is that people throw in with the gop because the dems will straight up tell you they have nothing to offer and there is no real democratic path to any other choice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

LastInLine posted:

There is no neoliberal project because we live in it, it's here already. "America is already great". Even if you're in the bourgeoisie, you're well aware that your position is tenuous if and increasingly when things turn downward. Your only two political choices are those telling you things are fine when you know they aren't and conservatives willing to point to "others" whose fault things aren't better. In the absence of a political solution, blame is at least more palatable than throwing in with the people who got you here.

this is a pretty good insight tbh, you can't win people over by telling them that this is as good as it gets.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

even a one-party state could have a more competent opposition than the democrats

china is a one party state and has a more powerful opposition internally in the party between the maoists and dengists lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

this is a pretty good insight tbh, you can't win people over by telling them that this is as good as it gets.

Even if you tell them it isn't and it could be better, the dems have amply demonstrated that they are not in a position to deliver it. Remember that Obama won these regions handily in 2008 by saying things could be better and delivered nothing at all. The one thing that could be construed as accomplished, the ACA, was at best a wash and at worst a negative even before active sabotage by red state governments. The democrats haven't, and I think to the politically aware we would say by design, accomplished anything at all in our lifetimes.

It's not like your average citizen in Chudland isn't aware the chuds are insane, it's that they rightly don't perceive the democrats as a political alternative that can counter their narrative and political agenda. It's increasingly obvious even to the nonpolitical in these regions that there simply isn't a way to vote your way back to a functioning political system and that the momentum is firmly to the back of those with a far right agenda and project. Voting democratic is only seen as trying to impede their march, not in favor of a project of their own, and it's simply obvious that impediments or not, the right will eventually get their way despite anything you do.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Smythe posted:

Been hearing this a lot lately

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If you think about it, ontologically, the democrats have already been destroyed

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kicked Throat posted:

https://twitter.com/CatJova/status/1457033202728538112
imagine joe and nancy having a one on one conversation sounding like your dad's dad and your mom's mom on thanksgiving at 6PM, meds wearing off, extra glass of port kicking their rear end... discussing their roles as leaders in the democratic party.

That would be a great clip if it weren’t for ???? off to the side cackling like morons. Her brain is pudding, but you can’t hear it because of the loving peanut gallery.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
I'm going to go ahead and posit now that the Demonrats will not only lose in 2022, but in fact in all future elections of consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Smythe posted:

https://twitter.com/daniel_dsj2110/...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/Madonna/status/...ingawful.com%2F