Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got lucky. Kid is moving to Alaska or something. Not even a speck of rust on it.

The front tires aren’t in dire condition but they’re the wrong size. 205/55/16 instead of 205/50/16 and I’d like to change them back down. I ordered front and rear pad and rotor sets tonight for $185 shipped, which is a pretty nice win.

The entire rear interior is disassembled but all came with the car. The only thing it’s actually missing is the headliner but meh. They all suck anyway.

New parts including clutch, motor mounts, ignition coil, plugs, new battery, etc. Alta 15% pulley, some sort of exhaust. It’s “softer” than our other R53 due to not having all poly bushings and stuff suspension, but it still feels very solid and fun.

get it painted British racing green at MAACO, finish stripping the interior, and turn it into a race car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mk4 styling is fine, but it’s basically just Mk3 + early 2000s Millenium-era roundness and curves

also the Mk4 Cabrio is literally just the Mk3 Cabrio with Mk4 exterior bits stuck on and zero mechanical updates. Even the interior is like 90% the same except for a smattering of Mk4 poo poo like the steering wheel shape

Lol

Lmao

Most ive heard is mk1/2 are the best for feel and are basically the same under and esp for cabrio for that era

Mk3 is when poo poo got bloated and heavy and ugly lmao. Also saying mk4 got more round than mk3 like what? For some reason I feel like you have your generations all shifted, mk4 was boxier and harder lines compared to the mk3 and esp mk5 after.

Also whoever said the mk4 was 90s kia…what? Mk4 was actually introduction of leathers and some other nice touch points. They rust to hell for sure but man I feel like I am living in different universe or some poo poo.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Veloster could be a contender but it’s weird and uncomfortable with 3 doors and it’s also fugly as heck. I parked next to a Veloster N the other day and I was flabbergasted by how much better looking I thought my FiST was. Also the DCT has a somewhat recent history of unreliability vs Honda’s rep for relative unflappability.

I disagree. The Veloster N is unique and cool as a cucumber. While I do not know the Civic's interior (never driven one), I can, however, say with confidence that in some places the interior of the Veloster N does feel a bit cheaper than even the Golf TSI. The GTI is probably that much nicer inside. The plastic on the dash is not top notch on the Veloster. With that being said, the Veloster N has its strong points:
- It's better looking, without question. The FiST is just plain, come on.
- It's more powerful, that's a given
- The engine sounds ... you have to experience it to believe it.
- The seats are waaaay better. And they light up. But they give up the power-adjustment features.
- The transmission is more to my liking (I got used with the Golf's but the clutch bite point always felt way too high)
- It has more driving modes than the GTI and the FiST has trims. And you can customize the hell out of it. And you can instantly feel the difference between those driving modes, in suspension, steering, engine sounds, etc.
- It has 3 doors. The correct number of doors. 2 are too few and 4 would have been absurd.
- The infotainment system is way better than the Golf's (I had 2018 one, no idea if it improved in the meantime) and the Android Auto support is top notch.
- Well, and finally, unlike the FiST, they still make them (for now).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a dude in my neighborhood has a white Veloster N and it looks pretty dope with the red accents. i find the noise annoying though because :corsair:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a dude in my neighborhood has a white Veloster N and it looks pretty dope with the red accents. i find the noise annoying though because :corsair:
As somebody who loves loud cars in the right context but also hates being woken up early, valved exhausts are my favorite thing. The "quiet start" mode on modern Mustangs should be copied by everyone who makes one.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I was interested in the Veloster N DCT until I realized the 3rd door is on the passenger side, and saw the interior. They are pretty cool though and I like the way they look. I don't get why the Veloster gets a fast dual clutch but a G70 with the Stinger 3.3T engine has a lovely slow transmission.

wolrah posted:

As somebody who loves loud cars in the right context but also hates being woken up early, valved exhausts are my favorite thing. The "quiet start" mode on modern Mustangs should be copied by everyone who makes one.

This, absolutely. If I replace my GTI with a new one a variable exhaust will be one of the first upgrades.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

I love this feature, especially since we have some fuckwits in the neighborhood with straight exhausts with no cats or anything. I don't want to be lumped in with them.

I honestly find myself driving in quiet mode more often lately. But it is nice to be able to open the valves too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Styles Bitchley posted:

I don't get why the Veloster gets a fast dual clutch but a G70 with the Stinger 3.3T engine has a lovely slow transmission.

DCT probably can't handle the torque of bigger engines and they don't want to throw money at development of a bigger one.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this car is somehow powerfully ugly in a way i can't quite articulate

For me it is like a sleek wagon front half, generic hatch back half, plonked on top of a mini drive train with gigantic overhangs. As if we need confirmation that Subaru are completely and utterley dead.

edit: Actually the front end is loving gross. I agree with you, I cannot articulate how repulsive this is.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 21, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone here buy their oil from FCP Euro? Their lifetime replacement policy on it seems too good to be true, but somehow seems legit?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone here buy their oil from FCP Euro? Their lifetime replacement policy on it seems too good to be true, but somehow seems legit?

I do not, but the policy is legit. If you box up the old oil and filter and ship it back, they'll replace it. I don't know why they do this (marketing/consumer loyalty maybe?), but they do.

I think they count on 95% of people not bothering with packing up the old oil and filter and paying to ship it back.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, I'll have to do a bit of research to see how cheaply I could get that shipped back to them then.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks, I'll have to do a bit of research to see how cheaply I could get that shipped back to them then.

The cost/benefit is probably pretty low so most people probably don't bother. Being from Canada it's even worst for me as the cross border shipping is killer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat I wish the US was getting the hatch RS3. Not that I could afford it, but I'd like the opportunity to be bad with money at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJ7jgZCwK0

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 26, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I don’t know why you’d ever need a bigger car than a small hatch.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I don’t know why you’d ever need a bigger car than an Abarth

abarths tip over

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/8epyfb/fiat_500_abarth_rolls_over_during_autocross/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

so do fiesta sts, strap in

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

so do fiesta sts, strap in

yeah, they do get p tippy

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, they do get p tippy

That’s why I put extra weight in. For ballast.

Actually those wheels are going on one of the Minis. Not sure which one yet. FB marketplace score, $500 for 4 Konig Dial-In 15x8 with new 205/55/15 Yokohama S.Drives. Just a set of hub rings away from usability.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a ton more room in there than I figured, well done

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I don’t know why you’d ever need a bigger car than a small hatch.

I brought home my Ikea bookshelves in my Focus with the hatch door shut. The boxes were 75" long. I was pretty impressed. I also had all the boxes for my bedframe (Malm with 2 drawers) and a couple end tables too. I don't think I could daily a non-hatch, just for its crazy practicality.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I managed to get my 65” TV in my mazda3, had to remove the outer box and drive with my head infront of the rearview mirror but I got it home. Hatches own, but by god the lil fiat really punching above its weight

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I carried a big fancy maple pre-bonsai in my FiST the other day

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I also managed to fit a driveway basketball hoop box in my R53 Mini.

And like 17 years ago I put a home gym in the back of my MKIV GTI

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The main reason I got a GTI was because the Celica hatch was so practical. It's such a small and light car that can carry so much more than it seems likely something like that could carry.

I carried a 55" TV and 60"x30" wood desktop at the same time in my GTI.

Edit: photo for no reason

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 27, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheBacon posted:

I managed to get my 65” TV in my mazda3, had to remove the outer box and drive with my head infront of the rearview mirror but I got it home. Hatches own, but by god the lil fiat really punching above its weight

I couldn't bear to unbox my 65" before getting it home, so I had to bungee the hatch on my girlfriend's Matrix. I'm glad I didn't go with my first plan and try to go get it with my FiST, it simply would not have worked. That said there was a Home Depot with a lot full of rental trucks right next door, so it wouldn't have been the hardest problem in the world to solve.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

I couldn't bear to unbox my 65" before getting it home, so I had to bungee the hatch on my girlfriend's Matrix. I'm glad I didn't go with my first plan and try to go get it with my FiST, it simply would not have worked. That said there was a Home Depot with a lot full of rental trucks right next door, so it wouldn't have been the hardest problem in the world to solve.

To be clear I removed the outer shipping box, the normal cosmetic display box is what I squeezed in, seats max forward and seat backs in an acute angle.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hi thread can I play for a few days??

Have a 19 fiesta se for a few days while my mustang gets fixed. I was quite impressed at the pickup it had, amazing what -1000 pounds does to the dynamics of a car. This thing must be a riot in ST form!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Cage posted:

Have a 19 fiesta se for a few days while my mustang gets fixed. I was quite impressed at the pickup it had, amazing what -1000 pounds does to the dynamics of a car. This thing must be a riot in ST form!

It is a god damned shame about the transmission in these cars. Part of me believes (Since the Focus and Fiesta sold so well at first, and owners loved them at first) that there would be fewer SUVs on the road and Ford wouldn't have given up all cars so quickly if the Focus/Fiesta hadn't been such a nightmare for them. They're such nice cars. I almost bought the 1.0 Fiesta, ended up buying the 1.0 Focus instead.

Semi-related: The automatic version of the 1.0 Focus was a proper 6-speed automatic, not the doomed dual clutch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They’re showing the 2023 integra prototype on the 11th.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Styles Bitchley posted:

I was interested in the Veloster N DCT until I realized the 3rd door is on the passenger side, and saw the interior. They are pretty cool though and I like the way they look. I don't get why the Veloster gets a fast dual clutch but a G70 with the Stinger 3.3T engine has a lovely slow transmission.

This, absolutely. If I replace my GTI with a new one a variable exhaust will be one of the first upgrades.

meanwhile i have the flaps on my R coded hard-open and the soundaktor coded hard-mute so i can be quiet on the inside and loud on the outside

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I know I've asked before, but I'm forgetful. I'd like to eventually start modifying my Mk7 GTI and would probably want to start with giving the clutch more feel and had been thinking of an aftermarket bleeder block and steel braided clutch lines, but I recall someone mentioning something about a spring too? I frankly don't recall what that was. My husband brought up eventually getting an intake and exhaust, but that's on the pricier end of the spectrum.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I know I've asked before, but I'm forgetful. I'd like to eventually start modifying my Mk7 GTI and would probably want to start with giving the clutch more feel and had been thinking of an aftermarket bleeder block and steel braided clutch lines, but I recall someone mentioning something about a spring too? I frankly don't recall what that was. My husband brought up eventually getting an intake and exhaust, but that's on the pricier end of the spectrum.

Drive by shitpost search youtube clutch spring removal it takes 30s and a pair of pliers, and order or make a clutch stop (later I can dig up and link one I got on Etsy for $13 that's almost perfect and just plugs in takes 30s no tools). Also check out the Boomba short shift adapter it's p cool.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

teh_Broseph posted:

Drive by shitpost search youtube clutch spring removal it takes 30s and a pair of pliers, and order or make a clutch stop (later I can dig up and link one I got on Etsy for $13 that's almost perfect and just plugs in takes 30s no tools). Also check out the Boomba short shift adapter it's p cool.

I'll take a look at the clutch spring removal, but I'm not entirely sure. The short shifter kit seems cool, but I'm weird and don't know if I'd want to get rid of the golf ball shifter.

E. I honestly don't know enough where if you'd be able to keep the original shifter with that kit.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 7, 2021

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rolo posted:

They’re showing the 2023 integra prototype on the 11th.

im extremely excited.

I have owned 4 RSXs

please dont suck

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'll take a look at the clutch spring removal, but I'm not entirely sure. The short shifter kit seems cool, but I'm weird and don't know if I'd want to get rid of the golf ball shifter.

E. I honestly don't know enough where if you'd be able to keep the original shifter with that kit.

The boomba short shifter is just a little metal plate you attach to where the shifter cable mounts under the hood. It literally takes all of 5 minutes, and you don't have to touch the shifter knob at all. I did the clutch spring removal, clutch stop and short shifter in maybe 30 minutes total, and it made a real nice difference.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there is a wagon thread? Is this the wagon thread?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Is there is a wagon thread? Is this the wagon thread?

it’s the Integra thread now, binch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m oki doki with that, really excited to see it.