Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Just call him Edgeworth Geraldine in the west. Still sounds like a nerd that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edge is the worst.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's been too long since I played 4 to remember anything about him but I always assumed Edge was a popular character since he's a ninja

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's been too long since I played 4 to remember anything about him but I always assumed Edge was a popular character since he's a ninja

He kinda makes battles interesting with his dual wielding imho; since he can equip Yang’s claws you can shuffle his inventory around even mid-combat to optimize damage with a katana + [weakness element] claw. Still a nerd tho.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing FF9 just now for the first time in probably 20 years. I didn't really like it as a kid because it's too silly and cartoonish. Now I like that about it.

There's something cool about replaying something like this where I can't remember ANY specifics about how or why things happen, just really vague stuff, and then when I discover a new area in the game there's some memory that hasn't been touched for decades in my head that gets lit up. I think this is probably as close to getting the childhood experience of playing a JRPG like this that is possible to get. There aren't any other games like this which I haven't revisited and recontextualised many times over by now.

I still think most of the character designs are ugly but I think they're all basically supposed to be ugly so it's fine.

It would be unplayable without the speed up option on the PS4 version though. The battles are atrociously slow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One of the characters is a Frankenstein's monster and everyone is cool with that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scalding Coffee posted:

One of the characters is a Frankenstein's monster and everyone is cool with that.

Wouldn’t you? Frankenstein’s monster was a cool dude

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The sheer variety of characters in FFIX is something I appreciate now when everything is just "Human" and "Human with bunny ears and a shapely rear end" Everyone is just so weird in 9, including the humans.

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 6, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the reasons I love FFIX so much is how much personality and character it has, from the world design and backgrounds to the NPCs and even their incidental dialogue. I know there's been discussion in this thread about the potential failures in worldbuilding in FFIX but I don't really care about those things because the areas we do visit feel so alive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You know what else feels alive?

A game with a tree turned into a warlock by way of sheer hatred, who is defeated by a guy named Butz and his two girlfriends and his daughter

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Butz and Galuf were open-minded as hell.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So, Zeal literally being in FF14 now makes me think that the noise that drove the Amaurotine to extinction was, literally, actually, factually just Lavos, and either the next major patches after EW or the next expansion afterward will be us going full Chrono Trigger to beat it for good.

EDIT: But then again, Azys Lla was also Zeal, so who knows. I just want to Chrono Trigger in FF14

Gologle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 6, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not every floating island is Zeal.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gologle posted:

So, Zeal literally being in FF14 now makes me think that the noise that drove the Amaurotine to extinction was, literally, actually, factually just Lavos, and either the next major patches after EW or the next expansion afterward will be us going full Chrono Trigger to beat it for good.

EDIT: But then again, Azys Lla was also Zeal, so who knows. I just want to Chrono Trigger in FF14

I mean, G'raha with his implanted future memories probably knows a thing or two about the mechanics of time travel from all that poo poo the future-people reverse engineered from Omega and Alexander and the Crystal Tower, he could certainly give us a head-start on developing the Epoch

fake edit: assuming those floating islands aren't just Literally Heaven or something

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blockhouse posted:

Not every floating island is Zeal.

I'm reminded of ages ago when I played EVO The Search for Eden, got to the Age of Mammals, saw a big floating island in the sky and was like "It's Zeal!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
me when I see any floating landmass in media

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

me when I see any floating landmass in media

1986's anime movie Castle in the Sky challenges our perception and understanding of how time works, since 1995's Chrono Trigger invented floating islands. Perhaps some imprint of Zeal was left by time travellers which then got discovered by the producers of Castle in the Sky.

Jokes aside, almost everything in Chrono Trigger has been seen long before that game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Jokes aside, almost everything in Chrono Trigger has been seen long before that game.

Like the character designs of Goku, Bulma, Arale, and Launch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gologle posted:

Azys Lla was FF6’s Floating Continent, actually, considering the Warring Triad and 6’s Ultima Weapon are bosses there.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Gologle posted:

So, Zeal literally being in FF14 now makes me think that the noise that drove the Amaurotine[s] to extinction was, literally, actually, factually just Lavos, and either the next major patches after EW or the next expansion afterward will be us going full Chrono Trigger to beat it for good.

I've been on this train for months. Heck, I was thinking "lol it's lavos" back when the concept was introduced in 5.0 in a "hyuck hyuck that'd be silly but fun" sense, but when they revealed that concept art at the digi-fanfest, I audibly said "now wait a loving second".

Harrow posted:

One of the reasons I love FFIX so much is how much personality and character it has, from the world design and backgrounds to the NPCs and even their incidental dialogue. I know there's been discussion in this thread about the potential failures in worldbuilding in FFIX but I don't really care about those things because the areas we do visit feel so alive.

Part of that has to do with how large they feel, and it baffles me that a number of later FFs (and RPGs generally) don't try to mimic this. Like, we don't visit every street in Alexandria or Lindblum, because they're huge cities with hundreds of thousands of people living in them at a minimum. We instead visit key points of interest to Us The Party, and we get a bunch of vistas to show us that there's a lot more that's out there but isn't relevant to our story (that one huge vista in Lindblum has always stuck with me). Making it feel like you can see the entire town was a limitation of the 8 and 16-bit eras (and even then there were ways around it), and an approach like IX's helps give a sense that this world you're in isn't entirely player-focused.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 6, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Chrono Trigger hasn't been referenced in a game in like twenty years y'all need to learn to let go

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 6, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blockhouse posted:

Chrono Trigger hasn't been referenced in a game in like twenty years y'all need to learn to let go

That sounds like Lavos talk

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blockhouse posted:

Even Chaos disapproves on that one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got pissed off Saga Frontier when I ran back and forth Red's campaign for an hour, only to lose access to a party member only he can recruit and my oldest save was ten seconds after leaving the ship.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, all the cool kids are referencing Chrono Cross.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, all the cool kids are referencing Chrono Cross.

Hope the remake rumors are real.

Still waiting for the Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of Dragoon remake rumors to be true, so I am used to disappointment!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

As much as a lot of Chrono Cross was a bunch of plots haphazardly slapped together, goddamn did it have one of the greatest game OSTs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXGgVLbz_M

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Regalingualius posted:

As much as a lot of Chrono Cross was a bunch of plots haphazardly slapped together, goddamn did it have one of the greatest game OSTs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXGgVLbz_M

Except for, inexplicably, the battle theme

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

3 days left.

I intend to do a missable Steam Guide following on from III. I imagine the biggest headaches is stuff that's available in a short window of time (bard song in library), stuff that is timed (karnak castle) and stuff that can only, rarely can de dropped or stolen (tinkle bell)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Except for, inexplicably, the battle theme

It's not like Mitsuda has no good battle music to his name but his battle music is certainly not what has made him a living legend. His unforgettable tracks are map, dungeon, and character themes, as well as ending vocal songs. CC's boss music and final boss themes are good but they aren't "the best ever" like Dream of the Shore Near Another World could be the absolute best overworld theme ever. CT has Battle with Magus which is good but no Corridors of Time. Xenogears is kind of interesting in that I think it certainly has his highest collection of good battle music, whereas poor Xenosaga Episode 1, while both battle songs were good, I said "both" because there are only two in the entire drat game.

So yeah. Mitsuda is one of the best video game composers of all time without question. But I look to others if I want a rockin' collection of the best fighting music in JRPGs. Sakuraba, Meguro, etc..

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The CG intro to Chrono Cross was also really great for the time. Time’s Scar is a great track and it was really great at making you want to play more of the game.

Still not sure why Chrono is such an ignored franchise. I am Setsuna was supposedly a spiritual successor but it was god awful, just the worst jRPG I’ve played since Septerra Core. Why make dual techs require your characters be in specific positions if you have absolutely no ability to adjust their position?

FFXIV has a mount that looks quite a bit like the Epoch / Wings of Time and I guess some Zeal lookin islands, kind of. A few people like to say that Radiant Historia has Chrono vibes but I didn’t really get that.

Anyway I hope I get to kill chaos soon.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
related, are there any good fan-patches ala the moguri mod for Chrono cross?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

god I wish

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

The reasons for porting it to PC just keep growing and growing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The CG intro to Chrono Cross was also really great for the time. Time’s Scar is a great track and it was really great at making you want to play more of the game.

Still not sure why Chrono is such an ignored franchise. I am Setsuna was supposedly a spiritual successor but it was god awful, just the worst jRPG I’ve played since Septerra Core. Why make dual techs require your characters be in specific positions if you have absolutely no ability to adjust their position?

FFXIV has a mount that looks quite a bit like the Epoch / Wings of Time and I guess some Zeal lookin islands, kind of. A few people like to say that Radiant Historia has Chrono vibes but I didn’t really get that.

Anyway I hope I get to kill chaos soon.

With absolutely no basis I'm just going assume that CT is one of those games that is much better remembered in the west than it is in Japan, like Earthbound.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lmao

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I will always talk about Edge.

Edge can exploit the back row glitch easily to do full damage, and honestly he's not half bad if you luck into a Giant Glove. He's probably better in versions where the ATB isn't hosed sideways since speed is powerful in FF4. That's part of why he's the best character in TAY, since he's the second-fastest character in the game and has actual power and utility in that version.

Fun Fact: The localizer for FF4 also did an unreleased localization for FF2. In that one, Ricard was renamed Edward, so I think she just had a thing for the name Edward. Gilbert needed a rename anyway since his name was too long, though a shame that gets rid of the "gil" pun that the sequel got mileage out of (Edward starting out rich, his secretary having Gil Toss, his bonus dungeon revolving around getting and spending money).

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Or maybe they're just great games that stand out from other JRPGs of the era for a variety of good reasons. poo poo, many RPGs could still stand to learn some things from Chrono Trigger, that game basically nails its pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I consider Earthbound being my number 3 favorite RPG, to be almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which is also just below Final Fantasy IX. It being the best Final Fantasy.