Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

As a parent of two kids who had to sit through a ton of poo poo I enjoyed it when kids TV did stuff like this (7:50) to make life a tiny bit more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

(actual) Octonauts doesn't have the same sort of winky adulty jokes that Bluey or Ben & Holly do, just good kids tv. My son was informing and delighting people at 3 with manic-dinosaur-fan level facts about deep sea life.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Chubby Henparty posted:

(actual) Octonauts doesn't have the same sort of winky adulty jokes that Bluey or Ben & Holly do, just good kids tv. My son was informing and delighting people at 3 with manic-dinosaur-fan level facts about deep sea life.
It totally does, I remember an episode where they met a type of sea animal that lived off "grass" and they all talked like stoners.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
God has anyone been watching Made in Chelsea? I started hate watching that show during covid and now I'm invested like an idiot.

I absolutely hate Maeva, moreso than I hate anyone else.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I tuned into the new Worzil Gummidge and was very surprised at how much i enjoyed it. Maybe I just have a high appetite for folk film, but i imagine that a lot of people who enjoyed The Detectorists would also dig it. It has Toby Jones in 6 different silly wigs bullying Steven Pemberton, and exposition shots of mushrooms and falling leaves.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It was also directed by mackenzie crook, so that makes a lot of sense.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Squishy posted:

exposition shots of mushrooms and falling leaves.
is that the word you meant

because I want to know what plot needs exposing about mushrooms and leaves, that seems quite remarkable

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Akuma posted:

is that the word you meant

because I want to know what plot needs exposing about mushrooms and leaves, that seems quite remarkable

what are you talking about?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The phrase is “establishing shots”.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Olobob Top is just the Island of Dr Moreau but for kids, a different tale of body horror each episode.

Also, I am convinced that Duggee is a nonce. Something about him seems off.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Escobarbarian posted:

The phrase is “establishing shots”.

Thank you. I'm actually pretty happy with how close i got.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdhin573vJo

GamesMaster is back! Quite a good choice for the casting of the GamesMaster himself but I worry this will be a bit too "E4" if you know what I mean. Apparently they're doing YouTube episodes first, before showing on digital (is E4 still a channel?)

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Bogmonster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdhin573vJo

GamesMaster is back! Quite a good choice for the casting of the GamesMaster himself but I worry this will be a bit too "E4" if you know what I mean. Apparently they're doing YouTube episodes first, before showing on digital (is E4 still a channel?)

Robert Florence from Burnistoun, Consolevania, Rock Paper Shotgun, and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my2NVhUjekA is the new host so I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WonkyBob posted:

Robert Florence from Burnistoun, Consolevania, Rock Paper Shotgun, and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my2NVhUjekA is the new host so I'm pretty optimistic about it.

You know I've only ever heard him called Rab and until now it never occured to me it was short for Robert.
I feel like it's an okay idea but on the other hand do we really even still NEED gamesmaster? When gaming was mega niche it was useful but now I'm not so sure.

I'm near the end of my bake off rewatch (I skipped season 1) and I definitely miss the Mel/Sue dynamic. I'm honestly not sure who they could bring in to do it but it's 100% not Matt and Noel. Matt talking to the camera when he's speaking to contestants and BOTH of them doing weird jokes just rub me the wrong way.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I dunno if I'll watch it but I just like to hear that Rab is still going strong, I've fond memories of sitting up late watching videogaiden when I should've been studying for my highers.

And like everyone else, it goes without saying that gamesmaster is an integral and no doubt formative part of my childhood.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In fact I remember quite clearly being surprised when I learned that Patrick Moore was an astronomer and started watching the Sky at Night because of that.

Finding out when I was a fair bit older what a godawful Tory he was was a strange feeling. Kind of like watching your granddad who you remember as once being a huge, erudite, larger than life figure who everyone admired wandering around demented in Kwik save and pissing all over the floor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

In fact I remember quite clearly being surprised when I learned that Patrick Moore was an astronomer and started watching the Sky at Night because of that.

Finding out when I was a fair bit older what a godawful Tory he was was a strange feeling. Kind of like watching your granddad who you remember as once being a huge, erudite, larger than life figure who everyone admired wandering around demented in Kwik save and pissing all over the floor.

He's forever associated in my head with UKIP and loving Yardstick, the 'keep imperial measurements' magazine he edited.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ah yes because all science is famously done in imperial

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Taear posted:

You know I've only ever heard him called Rab and until now it never occured to me it was short for Robert.
I feel like it's an okay idea but on the other hand do we really even still NEED gamesmaster? When gaming was mega niche it was useful but now I'm not so sure.

I'm near the end of my bake off rewatch (I skipped season 1) and I definitely miss the Mel/Sue dynamic. I'm honestly not sure who they could bring in to do it but it's 100% not Matt and Noel. Matt talking to the camera when he's speaking to contestants and BOTH of them doing weird jokes just rub me the wrong way.

Should have got Julian Barratt in with Noel.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

This feels like a remix of Dara O'Briain's Go 8 Bit, but I'll still watch it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Should have got Julian Barratt in with Noel.

I don't really think he would have worked either.

It's like if they'd had Vic and Bob as presenters. I love Vic and Bob but they're not mainstream enough for a lot of these random contestants to click with, if that makes sense.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not So Fast posted:

This feels like a remix of Dara O'Briain's Go 8 Bit, but I'll still watch it.

God I hope not, that was poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Taear posted:

I don't really think he would have worked either.

It's like if they'd had Vic and Bob as presenters. I love Vic and Bob but they're not mainstream enough for a lot of these random contestants to click with, if that makes sense.

I think Barratt would have worked as the straight(ish) man to Noel's weirdness. Elbow patches geography teacher mode. But then still able to knock out a themed crimp every now and then.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

EL BROMANCE posted:

God I hope not, that was poo poo.

Yeah I might be misremembering but I'm sure the old Games Master had an underlying tone of being mean or harsh.

That 8 bit thing was just people politely playing games badly against eachother.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

As long as it clears the low bar of Sky One's Gamezville, I will be happy with it. Plays great. Goog graphics. 4/5 G's.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nothing beats Bad Influence’s data blast, which required you to record the show.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Do we know how many episodes of Games Master there's gonna be?

Back when it was last on the volume of games coming out was a lot slower than it is these days. There are probably enough games coming out these days for the show to just be on constantly like the shows there are for other mediums.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's actually no representation for games on TV is there? Mind you, I can't remember the last dedicated show I saw for films or music on TV either.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Can’t believe no ones mentioned Gamezville yet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Loved Gamezville. It filled a great niche just before YouTube came along and made it redundant.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It was the poo poo. The recommendations of free flash games were great.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

Can’t believe no ones mentioned Gamezville yet

literally three posts up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kin posted:

Do we know how many episodes of Games Master there's gonna be?

I think they filmed 3, it was all done in a single day and they didn’t put out a call for an audience until a few days before.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

njsykora posted:

I think they filmed 3, it was all done in a single day and they didn’t put out a call for an audience until a few days before.

Well that's a bit disappointing.

Is this another channel 4 "revival attempt" like that TFI Friday thing a couple of years back then?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kinda yeah, they're doing this a lot lately where they'll do a "one off special" or small run to test the waters on a revival (The Crystal Maze episode with Stephen Merchant, TFI Friday, The Big Breakfast) then ending up sating everyone's desire for that revival with the special so the following series falls flat on its rear end. Or falls flat on its rear end right out the gate in the case of The Big Breakfast. I'm expecting the same of this, it'll get decent numbers for these 3 episodes, they'll commission a full series and it'll fail spectacularly. Would love to be wrong though, provided the actual episodes they've done are actually good. They've certainly got the right people to do it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

njsykora posted:

Kinda yeah, they're doing this a lot lately where they'll do a "one off special" or small run to test the waters on a revival (The Crystal Maze episode with Stephen Merchant, TFI Friday, The Big Breakfast) then ending up sating everyone's desire for that revival with the special so the following series falls flat on its rear end. Or falls flat on its rear end right out the gate in the case of The Big Breakfast. I'm expecting the same of this, it'll get decent numbers for these 3 episodes, they'll commission a full series and it'll fail spectacularly. Would love to be wrong though, provided the actual episodes they've done are actually good. They've certainly got the right people to do it.

Yeah it's an american style "pilot" system. Crystal Maze did well enough to get full series though (and the one off with Stephen merchant was super cheap as they used the permanent public version of the maze instead of building their own set)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I think it's hard to do a TV show about video games these days. Anyone who is into gaming enough to watch it probably already watches stuff on twitch or YouTube, where there are literally millions of hours of entertaining game related content.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I think it's hard to do a TV show about video games these days. Anyone who is into gaming enough to watch it probably already watches stuff on twitch or YouTube, where there are literally millions of hours of entertaining game related content.

It's tough competition, but I feel there's a big enough audience of people like me, who are maybe just too old for twitch with all its memes and v-tubers, but still have some interest in video games-related entertainment. Even on Twitch the main appeal is not gaming itself but the streamer's personality and ~community interactions~, so popular gaming streamers almost always branch out to non-gaming streams. With the right hosts and the right contestants, I don't see why a video games TV show can't succeed.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

I was on gamezville. I "reviewed" Pokemon Ruby and my brother "reviewed" that Pirates of the Caribbean game for PC. I remember having to pretend to play a WWE game in the background because they were actually mostly demos and not actual console set ups.

I was 11 at the time but everyone was really nice.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Paladinus posted:

It's tough competition, but I feel there's a big enough audience of people like me, who are maybe just too old for twitch with all its memes and v-tubers, but still have some interest in video games-related entertainment. Even on Twitch the main appeal is not gaming itself but the streamer's personality and ~community interactions~, so popular gaming streamers almost always branch out to non-gaming streams. With the right hosts and the right contestants, I don't see why a video games TV show can't succeed.

Yeah, I've never really gotten into twitch streaming or any of that poo poo. I'll happily watch folk playing a game I've never seen before in a semi-competitive environment, but the idea of watching a single personality playing loads of games never appealed to me.

Shows like Gamesmaster served as a good preview of new games for me, whereas I don't think twitch would do that.

I think that's where the new show might fall flat for me though. I'm old enough with enough disposable income and the internet at my fingertips that I'm more aware of the big games that are coming out than I was when I was a kid. There are going to be fewer "oh wow, that looks cool" moments because I'll have likely seen a lot of it online or in ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I don't think it'll find much of an audience. It'll be a million miles away from what appeals to the kids and adults don't need it because the Internet exists.

There'll be some people who just prefer watching poo poo on TV over using the Googles but I can't see it being much more than a novelty.