Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

LOL that you think it's remotely in the realm of possibility that you can form and pour an 'above-ground concrete safe room' by buying sakrete at Home Depot. Please get an engineer to draw up plans and a professional crew to properly rebar/pour/vibrate your forms. Or, at least post stories/pics so we can have a grover-safe-house thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I am still identifying which requirements could drive the design in a direction that limits practicality.

Looks like the answer to "what easily available concrete is densest?" is "do a test".

Motronic posted:

Also, already solved problems. Here's a starting point: https://www.fema.gov/pdf/plan/prevent/rms/453/fema453.pdf

There is even a discussion on why radiation threads are not particularly addressed. Because, really.....what's your plan if you benefit from radioactive shielding of a safe room? What do you do next?

I've read some of the other relevant guidance from FEMA though, as far as that link, "terrorist attacks" are not part of this use case. For the reason above, I'll pass on debating whether I should make something for only tornadoes and not tornadoes + other stuff, or whether it's a DIY project or not, or what my plans are in the case of various scenarios.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I am still identifying which requirements could drive the design in a direction that limits practicality.

Looks like the answer to "what easily available concrete is densest?" is "do a test".

I've read some of the other relevant guidance from FEMA though, as far as that link, "terrorist attacks" are not part of this use case. For the reason above, I'll pass on debating whether I should make something for only tornadoes and not tornadoes + other stuff, or whether it's a DIY project or not, or what my plans are in the case of various scenarios.

Lmao.

This thread really delivers every couple of weeks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

LOL that you think it's remotely in the realm of possibility that you can form and pour an 'above-ground concrete safe room' by buying sakrete at Home Depot.

This is my favorite part.

Do NOT discourage this. We might get pictures and wonderful thread content.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're dead set on having a made in the US toolbox I can't give you any suggestions off the top of my head, but you'll probably have the best chances if you do some research into who manufactures toolboxes for the US military. Maybe some federal agencies. There are a good few companies who exist solely to fulfill mandates that the government purchase "made in America" goods. The ubiquitous Skilcraft pens and other office supplies you'll find in government offices exist largely for that reason.*

But, you're going to pay more than you would for a similar quality toolbox made by pretty much anybody else.

If you're really, REALLY dead set on it you might look into surplus auctions, or at least business that liquidate surplus auctions. I know someone who just picked up a very large, locking fireproof filing cabinet for cheap from a military base that way.

Alternatively, do like my grandpa did and make your own toolbox.

*well, kind of. Way back when they started as a way to get work for blind people, but at this point it has more to do with made-in-USA legislation than employing people with visual disabilities

Thank you. This is likely the best course of action for what I'm looking for. I didn't consider checking out manufacturers for military toolboxes. That's a great tip.

I appreciate the responses everyone's given me so far.

Source4Leko posted:

Not for that price. You'll maybe get a heavy duty canvas bag or something.

I'm flexible with my budget. I put $100 to start. I'm not absolutely deadset on it.

please knock Mom! posted:

Why does it need to be made in the usa this badly

Easy: I want to buy an American-made product.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

This is my favorite part.

Do NOT discourage this. We might get pictures and wonderful thread content.

How my second floor panic room ended up in the basement, overnight!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

LOL that you think it's remotely in the realm of possibility that you can form and pour an 'above-ground concrete safe room' by buying sakrete at Home Depot. Please get an engineer to draw up plans and a professional crew to properly rebar/pour/vibrate your forms. Or, at least post stories/pics so we can have a grover-safe-house thread.

Let this guy get 'r done man.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Armauk posted:

why? like if you said "union made" or "gently caress sweatshops and maquiladoras" we would all shut up. fukken jingoistic boxes only plz.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Armauk posted:

Come on, there has to be more to it than that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.kctool.com/hazet-190l-metal-tool-box-empty-245-x-575-x-210mm/

Shame it's made in Poland.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Since you won’t tell us any more I’m allowed to call this project dumb. Anyway here’s a website with material property data for loving everything, searched for concrete. Have fun. http://www.matweb.com/Search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx?GroupID=296

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

also SURELY you mean ASSEMBLED in america because lol if you think those rivets and screws and whatever were made in pittsburg

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My toolbox must be made of only the most patriotic iron ores from the depths of Mount Rushmore.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

also you suck Motronic now i want that pretty toolbox. all these years being content with the big plastic tackle box i stole from dane the rear end in a top hat hawaiian down the drain.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:swoon: WOW THAT'S AMAZING IT'S EXACTLY -

Motronic posted:

Shame it's made in Poland.

- UHHHH NOT WHAT I WANT. MURCA! :911:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CarForumPoster posted:

Do you have experience testing concrete?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Saucer Hovers posted:

like if you said "union made" or "gently caress sweatshops and maquiladoras" we would all shut up.

That's a big reason for the search.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
'merican box for my 'merican tools to build my 'merican dream.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Tremors posted:

'merican box for my 'merican tools to build my 'merican dream.

a DIY concrete panic tomb to protect against MS-13 antifa caravans

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Insurrectum posted:

a DIY concrete panic tomb to protect against MS-13 antifa caravans

Oh hey my girlfriend's old house has one of these. They buried an old box truck, poured concrete around it and then built the house on top of it. The sides of the "basement" were bowed inwards from all the ground pressure.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just make sure your panic room goes all the way down below the frost line like a nice fireplace. Don't listen to the doubters. Put in a dumb waiter so when they are jack hammering up on the second floor you can escape through your basement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

House Ownership Thread: building your antifa panic room with $300 american made tools to own the libs

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Gonna make my own buried underground bunker to hide from the vaccine mandates

(and save money on a casket)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This same basic design is sold, in wood, as a sewing box. It doesn't work all that well. If you look at it, you'll notice that about half of each level, including the bottom box, is hidden/unreachable.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Source4Leko posted:

Do you have experience testing concrete?

I own a scale and some buckets.

Also I did compressive testing of materials in undergrad and coauthored a material science paper on high temp ceramics…but that’s not needed to figure out which is heavier in the same size bucket.

This threads fascination with trying to discourage people researching projects is really …something awful.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

This threads fascination with trying to discourage people researching projects is really …something awful.

Yes, that's totally what we do here.

It has nothing to do at all with trying to tell someone who thinks they can sakcrete their way into an actual poured structure (that also has out of the normal specific concrete requirements) that they are researching the wrong things first.

I mean, you coauthored a materials science paper once, so this totally doesn't apply to you and you don't at all have engineer blindness.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
groverhausbunker

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Don't listen to motronic he's just the threads resident naysayer. He likes to poo poo on cool projects because he's not as cool as the project.

Look up making your own concrete and please post your adventures. There's literally no way this could end badly with someone buried under rubble.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

groverhausbunker

Every wall is made of a different density concrete!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

tomapot posted:

Which model ego snowblower do you have, I’m ready to buy but not sure which model.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-POWER-...Tool/5000199117

That little guy.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CarForumPoster posted:

I own a scale and some buckets.

Also I did compressive testing of materials in undergrad and coauthored a material science paper on high temp ceramics…but that’s not needed to figure out which is heavier in the same size bucket.

This is a great example of a job where you call a professional if you want it done right, this is a not weekend warrior poo poo no matter what you've seen on YouTube. I seriously hope you don't hurt anyone. That you have undergrad level engineering lab experience makes me more worried about this. If you said you'd spend a summer working with your plumber uncle on jobsites when you were 19 I'd feel a lot better about what you said. Engineering ability and actual ability to work materials are often inversely related, no matter how simple working the materials seems. The overconfidence here is astounding.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CarForumPoster posted:

Also I did compressive testing of materials in undergrad and coauthored a material science paper on high temp ceramics…

Lmfao

Holy poo poo this guy went to college, just let him do this specialized building project by himself

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're going to grossly overbuild something, why not just build your box out of plate steel? Density is ~2x that of the densest concrete, and north of a quarter inch, it's mostly bullet proof. Faffing around with concrete doesn't seem like you're taking this very seriously. Maybe consider something like a set of 2 x 1/8" plate steel, six feet apart, and in-between fill dirt, and then on top, 2-3 feet of steel reinforced concrete on top, followed by another two or three feet of fill dirt.

Depleted uranium tank rounds will go through 18 inches of steel, but you'd probably be ok swapping out 18 inches of steel with 6 feet of earth. You'll probably go deaf from the impact though.

For nuclear strikes, make sure you slope up a berm of earth at no greater than a 45 degree angle, so that the blast and shockwave roll over the structure, rather than through it, especially nearest to ground zero.

In case they send snakes in to your air filtration system, I recommend you keep a small scale mongoose breeding program on site.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can't have a secret sex dungeon safe room if you tell the whole internet about it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rexxed posted:

You can't have a secret sex dungeon safe room if you tell the whole internet about it.

Goddamn it, now you tell me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ooh that lawn guy is going to pay

also i cut myself on the poopy pipe loving with it, so that was a fun run inside to the disinfectant soap

nah he said hed fix it

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I want to have an interlock installed on my breaker box for generator use. Power loss due to storms is not uncommon in my area. I'm really interested in an inverter generator in the 2kw-4kw range but all the options seem to be 120v only. My understanding is that I could only power one leg if I hooked up a 120v output to the breaker box?

The only 220v appliance I'd really be interested in running is the range, and that's not mandatory. Hot water and furnace are both propane so I just need 120 to power their electronics. They're hard wired, I can't just plug them into an eu2200 or I'd just do that. So I'm mostly interested in something quiet that isn't a gas hog (or dual fuel even better), and light enough that my wife can easily move it around if I'm not home.

Should I suck it up and either buy something that puts out 240, or pay to have a sparky move around my breakers to maximize the utility of using 120? Or is there a way to have my cake and eat it too?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

An interlock + feeding only one leg + having 240v stuff that needs to be turned off while this is happening doesn't sound like a family-friendly solution to anything. Not to mention dragging the generator out, hooking it up, fueling it, starting it, making sure you HAVE fuel that hasn't gone bad, etc.

My opinion: save up and get an actual fixed generator that is properly installed, autostart, and runs your whole home or at least a subset of the circuits you require. Run it off your propane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

An interlock + feeding only one leg + having 240v stuff that needs to be turned off while this is happening doesn't sound like a family-friendly solution to anything. Not to mention dragging the generator out, hooking it up, fueling it, starting it, making sure you HAVE fuel that hasn't gone bad, etc.

My opinion: save up and get an actual fixed generator that is properly installed, autostart, and runs your whole home or at least a subset of the circuits you require. Run it off your propane.

Sigh. I know that's the right answer but was hoping to avoid the cost because odds are very good we will only live here 2-3 more years before I transfer for work. Thanks.

Edit to add: my wife is from here originally and is used to pulling out a 240 portable generator and connecting it, though it was on a transfer switch not an interlock when she was a kid. And I always have several Jerry cans of stabilized ethanol free gas.

I guess my concern on a whole house generator, other than cost, was the assumption it would run through my 325g tank pretty quick in an extended outage. What should I look at? Generac?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 6, 2021