Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i dunno man i'd never spend that much on a car but do you absolutely have to buy a car right now or in 2022? if i was spending 60k on a car i'd get something used, more rare and cooler than a 3 series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
lol if someone offered me $800 to not buy a stupid $65k 3 series with phony M badges on it, I'd take them up on it. $8k seems like an even better deal here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BraveUlysses posted:

i dunno man i'd never spend that much on a car but do you absolutely have to buy a car right now or in 2022? if i was spending 60k on a car i'd get something used, more rare and cooler than a 3 series

I definitely don't NEED to, no, I have a subaru outback that goes from point A to point B, but the only point in waiting ~two years would be to pocket $8k and wait until prices hit MSRP again.

Money in the bank is cool and good but not as fun as car in the driveway (or garage, angles permitting)

I'd toss in the extra $20k for a true M3 if they hadn't mangled the design so badly. That is such a travesty

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Why not F80 M3?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

TheBacon posted:

Why not F80 M3?

Thats what I was thinking. Could probably get a deal on a CPO one and you'd have 8k as a down payment.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Get a corvette

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah if I was hard up for some dough I'd take that in a heartbeat, but right now I'm in the market for a car and will be paying far more than an $8k markup if I try to buy in 2022

I'm a big fan of the m340 but I sense some disdain for it here. What's a more fun sporty sedan in the ~$65k range?

Take the 8k and get a $72k M3 you goober. A broker can probably get you a new one for MSRP.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Audi RS3 for $60k

Also less of a middle manager's car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Comedy option - lease an Alfa Giulia

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If I were getting a paddle car absolutely would look at an Alfa QV tbh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I probably would have gone with that if I didn't really want AWD.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KillHour posted:

Take the 8k and get a $72k M3 you goober. A broker can probably get you a new one for MSRP.

M3c xDrive with any accessories at all is pushing into the mid $80s

The real problem though is that it's the ugliest car to ever exist and I do a Barf when I see one

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Remember like 5 years ago when those Gulias were crushing all the reviews? Did every single one fall into pieces?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

M3c xDrive with any accessories at all is pushing into the mid $80s

The real problem though is that it's the ugliest car to ever exist and I do a Barf when I see one

Counterpoint - a base M3 with zero options is going to be nicer inside than a fully loaded M340 and more fun to drive.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheBacon posted:

Why not F80 M3?

Exactly...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KillHour posted:

Counterpoint - a base M3 with zero options is going to be nicer inside than a fully loaded M340 and more fun to drive.

No doubt :) But I will never give BMW one single penny for anything with the new grill on it

TheBacon posted:

Why not F80 M3?

I don't do used cars

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Where’s my 8 grand!!!!))

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't do used cars

Man this is absolutely wild to me, a lot of me still can’t fathom ever buying a *new* car

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheBacon posted:

Man this is absolutely wild to me, a lot of me still can’t fathom ever buying a *new* car

His choices are def wild. You havent been following him? Lol

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fyallm posted:

There are too many M2 avis to keep it straight okay

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

I haven't really done all that much! I bought a 2019 M2C and loved it, but it wasn't my Forever Car and the pandemic used car market made it a no brainer to sell

Apart from that I've just been driving an Outback and thinking about sporty sedans!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Enjoy your mid-range rapidly depreciating asset I guess.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
There really is something to be said about having at least one of your cars be a new car - the peace of mind alone is worth the extra coin. I always was super against new cars, but I ended up leasing a new fiesta st when they came out and never looked back, I'm on my 4th new car now and I'll never have a used "main" car again.

I will always have at least a couple used cars in addition that I can mod and tinker on, but having something new with a warranty and no possibility of not having a working car or a car I have to constantly gently caress with is priceless.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KillHour posted:

Enjoy your mid-range rapidly depreciating asset I guess.

That's the plan!!

It's going to be fun, practical, and nondescript enough that people will let me change lanes on the freeway

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has anyone ever run into something like this? I got a new portable air pump because I never know when my dad has moved his air compressor somewhere else, and I don't want to pay the gas station for a resource that is literally all around me for free. I also got it because it got below 50 degrees and my front right always says it's low when that happens. Anywho, you have to have the car on while it's running so, my car was running. I filled up the front right and then decided to top op the other three and started filling up the rear right tire. But I noticed that every few seconds, it seemed like the car was applying power to the wheel. Not enough to do anything crazy, it just rotated the wheel a couple degrees and then it would go back to where it was. The car was in park and I have the DCT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21b7Duc9N0

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheBacon posted:

There are too many M2 avis to keep it straight okay

Haha, touche!

But the m2 is a super fun car , haha.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't do used cars

dumb

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Well I put down a refundable 1k deposit for a m3 with an eta of March 2022 having never driven a bmw, wish me luck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Work gives me a $600/month car allowance if I buy new and $350 if I buy used

Can't say no to that smell!

After 30 months the New allowance drops to the Used allowance and I trade in :hellyeah:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Wtf you do for work that gives you that kind of allowance and you dont care about mileage???

Is this like 70s/80s england level company?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dude it's way less generous than it sounds... It's client-facing commercial real estate so we have to put on airs like we don't need/want their business

The money for the car allowance literally comes out of our commissions and we can't use it for anything BUT car/lease payments

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Lmao well that’s a loving sham then, taken out if your commission god drat

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone have info/pics from the M track day at Laguna Seca today? Sounds like an autox M2 driver had a problem and buried the pedal through the guard shack?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Well I put down a refundable 1k deposit for a m3 with an eta of March 2022 having never driven a bmw, wish me luck

As long as you sacrifice the outermost bit of rubber on the tires with video evidence you’ll do just fine here.

It’s time for me to post a new tire life removal clip. I’ve been getting extra slidey because my tires are spent but Costco can’t seem to get Michelins in my sizes for the past three months. Maybe this winter they will finally get some and I’ll have to bring in my wheels loose.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TheBacon posted:

Lmao well that’s a loving sham then, taken out if your commission god drat

Yeah it's dumb. But our commission is only a percentage of the "Fee" we get paid, and it's untaxed, so even though it's $600 in Allowance it's only like $150 real life dollars out of my paycheck. Math!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ya'll really have some strong opinions about what other people spend their money on / what kind of cars they buy

for content I just put my AWE exhaust on MY FAKE M CAR WHICH IS AN M340i and HAS FAKE M BADGES ON IT

sounds amazing though, you'd never know it was A FAKE M CAR underneath all that noise

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Blue On Blue posted:

ya'll really have some strong opinions about what other people spend their money on / what kind of cars they buy

for content I just put my AWE exhaust on MY FAKE M CAR WHICH IS AN M340i and HAS FAKE M BADGES ON IT

sounds amazing though, you'd never know it was A FAKE M CAR underneath all that noise

My application for FAKEM3 got rejected for being a sexual reference lol

I think they thought it was a play on gently caress Me

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

There was a guy who had a drag built M240i near me with the plate IMNOTM that was pretty good.

He sold that though and now has an E92 M3 lmao

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My application for FAKEM3 got rejected for being a sexual reference lol

I think they thought it was a play on gently caress Me

weird, mine was approved

different country though

most of the time i just get people asking what does 'fakem' mean, and i explain how I'm basically a peasant in the world of BMW's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheBacon posted:

There was a guy who had a drag built M240i near me with the plate IMNOTM that was pretty good.

He sold that though and now has an E92 M3 lmao

Good guy