Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Wow, I hadn't known about this until I got the email today. And that was pretty poor by itself (it's a bit steep calling it a Reminder when it's the first time you're telling me about it!) At least my current subscription goes through to March so things will have settled down one way or the other by then, but I did turn off auto-renew just to be safe and send a tiny message.

I know I looked at a few alternatives before resubscribing last March and found them all wanting, and if I can't save more than $10 a month using YNAB then I probably shouldn't bother using it anyway, but yeah, this stinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Mad Wack posted:

you can see the rest of the answers that got zapped by the automod here: https://www.reddit.com/user/YNAB_youneedabudget

all you have to do is take a look at their careers page and it's so obvious that all of the money is going into huge amounts of marketing and classes

it kind of makes sense because the founder really loves crossfit, i think he's just trying to re-create the model for finances

i hope they add tiered pricing but they never will lmao

Hey pal, those company retreats to Costa Rica ain’t free. So much of their brand identity has been built on their user base going out and evangelizing on their behalf it’s kind of hilarious to see them piss it all away.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

So much of their brand identity has been built on their user base going out and evangelizing on their behalf it’s kind of hilarious to see them piss it all away.
I can't tell you how many times or how many people I've told that YNAB needs to be in their life but I can tell you now I'll never say it again after this bullshit lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The two biggest ROI in my life have probably been YNAB and SA and lol that the owners of both became hilarious villains in their own dumb ways.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah....I'd be okay, but irritated at paying an extra :10bux:, but I really am sick of their owner and how he's running the business.

I'm gonna try out Buckets + Simplefin and see if it's needs suiting. I really hope it is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently the owner's not in direct control anymore since five months. He gave up his CEO role for free time.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The more I think about it the more I really wish YNAB had a...beginner's tier. Limited number of syncing accounts or no syncing accounts (because that's an actual cost for them--a checking, a savings, a credit card could probably do, other accounts can be manual entry which is cheap for them), can only do X amount of on-budget income per year (which they could know!!! because tracking that is the entire point of the software) and if it exceeds it it doesn't let you categorize anything I guess until you upgrade. Something I could hand out like candy to my, say, just getting started $12 an hour nephew. Maybe $5 a month, $30/40 a year? I don't think it would cannibalize their market of well-to-do DINKS because we have too much income to qualify and trying to cheat the system would become very annoying and come to the same cost quickly.

Also punch me in the head until my programmer's disease goes away, because I spent yesterday evening sketching out specifications for a, well, not exactly a clone but a descendant. If you paid me my salary for that time it would, of course, pay for a couple years of YNAB at the new price. I'm also aware it won't amount to anything because I don't have the stamina to complete it and I'm also dogshit at dynamic modern UIs. But noooo my brain was all "well, YNAB doesn't work well for multi-user situations and Monarch has weird and clumsy categories that you can't delete but have to shuffle around weirdly, what would a budgeting system look like if you're budgeting together with somebody and want ways to reflect that in the system. Maybe you could import new stuff using that Tiller thing. What if the accounts and transactions were separated from the budget so you could do simultaneous running budgets to test out new theories without disrupting the main budget. What if it kept a historical record of the different goals so you could see how your goals changed over time and a ledger of income/outcome for each envelope ledger. Double entry accounting, how does that work, because naturally as a dipshit computer toucher I think all fields of knowledge are easy to learn. API first development yeah! Oh, that's a cute name for it!" It's like my attention span is a dog that saw a squirrel and I just have to wait for the squirrel to climb up out of sight into a tree before I can relax.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Even Dave Ramsey's software has a free and paid option, I think. You only pay if you want to sync with your bank.

Just give a sync and non sync tier. Easy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fezziwig posted:

Even Dave Ramsey's software has a free and paid option, I think. You only pay if you want to sync with your bank.

Just give a sync and non sync tier. Easy.

Is the claim that the bank syncing is costing too much money? What's kept me on nYNAB was how well it worked for my wife and I to use it simply without fear of a Dropbox sync conflict that YNAB4 had.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

TraderStav posted:

Is the claim that the bank syncing is costing too much money? What's kept me on nYNAB was how well it worked for my wife and I to use it simply without fear of a Dropbox sync conflict that YNAB4 had.

No, the claim is that they think they provide enough value to price it this way.

They couldn't be more vague if they tried.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

TraderStav posted:

That's what Ramsey claims anyway. I have no idea if that's actually true I but if it is it seems a good way to retain a lot of users like myself who don't auto sync anyway

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

uXs posted:

No, the claim is that they think they provide enough value to price it this way.

They couldn't be more vague if they tried.

we think we provide more value than photoshop

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nah, they just think this is amount that maximizes profit

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I didn't even get an email -- checked my subscription and they just upped the price behind my back. Good job y'all.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Tayter Swift posted:

I didn't even get an email -- checked my subscription and they just upped the price behind my back. Good job y'all.

don't worry - it was a top priority for the technical team!

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently the owner's not in direct control anymore since five months. He gave up his CEO role for free time.

I am reading the YNAB book and Jessie in the book is like "look, you can make your own drat spreed sheet on excel if you wanna, i don't care, do what you gotta do to live freely". So it surprised me that he was on board to raise the price (according to the NEW CEO Todd, it was planned to raise the price 18 months ago but pandemic hit, so they delyed it.).

Jesse was no angel but overall he seemed less evil of an CEO compared to many others in this day of age.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 7, 2021

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Goddamnit I just got interested in using this product and I am very new to this sort of budgeting. I set up Tiller, but it’s way too little structure for me. Should I just try it out and eat the price? I am sure I will save more than $15/month if I get a handle on my budget.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Morpheus voice: when your budget is setup, you won’t have to pay the fee monthly, you’ll afford the much cheaper annual cost

YNAB made a big improvement to how I handled my money. I am using the cost increase to take a look at alternatives, so far everything else seems to be in beta, or lacking the mix of features I use, or cost about the same.

The a couple of the classes/YouTube content really helped change my thinking and set me on the path to better habits.

I would say that whatever the drama about this particular price increases if you think the tool would work for you, it’s worth a shot.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

doingitwrong posted:

YNAB made a big improvement to how I handled my money. I am using the cost increase to take a look at alternatives, so far everything else seems to be in beta, or lacking the mix of features I use, or cost about the same.

This is pretty much where I’m at as well. I messed around with a couple alternatives, and the issues Plaid has with my credit union are universal across platforms that use Plaid and otherwise the learning curve of setting up a new app and losing my historical data didn’t feel like I was going to get much out of switching before YNAB renews next month.

My wife and I will have used YNAB to clear out all our debt in the next few months and have saved up down payment money on a house, so I probably will continue to get more than I’m spending out of it just from continuing to be more conscious of how we spend.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

Goddamnit I just got interested in using this product and I am very new to this sort of budgeting. I set up Tiller, but it’s way too little structure for me. Should I just try it out and eat the price? I am sure I will save more than $15/month if I get a handle on my budget.

If you're just getting started, Buckets would probably be a super good app to look at (and then follow YNAB's educational videos ;) )

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I emailed support about my credit union not having imported anything for 3 weeks now. Their literal first line was “hi, I hope you’re having a great week so far!”

No Jill, I’m definitely not on the YNAB front. My poo poo isn’t importing and y’all jacked the price up.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I tried the fancy new loan thing for my mortgage, realized midway that maybe I wanted to sync up the current balance before doing so and X'd out of the modal, and it left my budget it some sort of weird half converted state instead of just undoing it. Cool cool cool.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DominoKitten posted:

I tried the fancy new loan thing for my mortgage, realized midway that maybe I wanted to sync up the current balance before doing so and X'd out of the modal, and it left my budget it some sort of weird half converted state instead of just undoing it. Cool cool cool.

I had the same thing happen to me and my student loans, so instead of fixing it I paid my loans off this month instead of waiting till the interest starts again in January.

So in short I'm debt free due to YNAB loving up the loan feature.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Morpheus voice: when your budget is setup, you won’t have to pay the fee monthly, you’ll afford the much cheaper annual cost

The a couple of the classes/YouTube content really helped change my thinking and set me on the path to better habits.

I would say that whatever the drama about this particular price increases if you think the tool would work for you, it’s worth a shot.

Definitely, it does still have a lot of value in that it helps you think about money in a completely different way, and track your spending to fit in with that. I've looked into a lot of other options in the last few years and it really is one of (if not the) best out there in terms of ease of use and variety of features. So it can be worth the cost - although the pay per month vs yearly cost leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They really want to punish the poorer folks out there by making them pay almost twice as much, all while smugly telling them to also budget for the annual fee in advance to save money.

As I've used it for a couple of years now though, I'm not about to learn anything new about zero sum budgeting. I also already do manual inputting and don't need/want auto imports (not even sure it's possible where I live) and while I like the app, my husband never uses it when he updates YNAB and I often do budgeting on my laptop as well.

I think Buckets is the best alternative for me - one of the features that bugs the hell out of me when it's missing from other budgeting software I've tried is the ability to set various types of spending/saving goals, and automate the budgeting somewhat. Buckets has that and so far I like the interface. It is missing (for now) a couple of features I'd like such as recurring transactions and the ability to filter through past transactions by category or payee, but they're not deal breakers. I think I will most miss the detailed spending reports though, which help me review my budget each year. Is that worth CAD$130 a year though? Meh.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Is YNABJ still the best app?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Oh boy, the YNAB reddit is some how getting wrose than last week.

Someome legit told me "yeah YNAB was never meant for you, it was built for middle class Americans." when I talked about the price increase is a lot more in Canada.

Then someone in India wrote a piece about how much of difference is and what one can do with that money in India. People are writing "Well if you don't want to pay American prices for an AMERICAN product, go find a Indian product." and other horrible xenophobia comments.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I think it’s been too long since I’ve exported my data… you know, just to be on the safe side with a backup…

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

DrNewton posted:

Oh boy, the YNAB reddit is some how getting wrose than last week.

Someome legit told me "yeah YNAB was never meant for you, it was built for middle class Americans." when I talked about the price increase is a lot more in Canada.

Then someone in India wrote a piece about how much of difference is and what one can do with that money in India. People are writing "Well if you don't want to pay American prices for an AMERICAN product, go find a Indian product." and other horrible xenophobia comments.

yeah i think people from the ynab official forums are bandwagoning over, the whole thing is stupid and reddit is stupid

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

YNAB pricing is ridiculous. I can get an entire Microsoft 365 subscription for significantly less.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, but does it have the same $$$ VALUE $$$?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

YNAB still haven't responded to my email giving them my student information. Starting to think someone looked up my student and saw i had a free account back in the before times under a different email.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wow looks like I just squeezed in (charged on Nov 5th for the same amount I was charged in 2020/2019/2018

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Omne posted:

Wow looks like I just squeezed in (charged on Nov 5th for the same amount I was charged in 2020/2019/2018

December 1st is when the new price goes into effect.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Shofixti posted:

As an FYI, YNAB 4 works perfectly using WINE. Been running it on Linux for years now.

Yup. Been running YNAB4 for years now using WINE on Linux Mint. It works just perfectly and keeps on keeping on.

I dont import transactions. It takes about 15 minutes every 2 weeks to review transactions and manually enter them in for my wife and I. Its a good chance to see, again, where our money is going and on what.

They can pry YNAB4 from my cold dead hands.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

DrNewton posted:

December 1st is when the new price goes into effect.

quote:

Subscription
Your annual subscription will automatically renew on December 1, 2021. On that day, at midnight UTC, the card we have on file will be charged $98.99 USD.

Good timing on my part!

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Harminoff posted:

Good timing on my part!

Going by the reddit you can by yourself a gift subscription to YNAB and add it on to your account to lock in the lower price.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think if I could add two features that I would absolutely love in YNAB it would be:

1) Linked budgets: items assigned to a specific category are automatically added as transactions in a separate budget, where I can then categorize them individually.

2) Duplicate budgets. Just so I can gently caress around and not find out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

2) Duplicate budgets. Just so I can gently caress around and not find out.

Does a fresh start not satisfy this?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Does a fresh start not satisfy this?

Fresh Start keeps your current balances, categories and some other things, but not the actual transactions. Sometimes you want to try out some new categorization/inflow/etc. options on existing transactions without risking loving up years of work ([ASK] me about losing a year's worth of budgeting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'd add joint budgeting