Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for not giving my employee a bonus despite all he's done for me?

quote:

Background: One of my employees, I'll call him D, is a supervisor. He's smart, dedicated, good heart, not a quitter, and a very hard worker. He is in mid 30s (a few months older than me), and the job pays around 50k/year. He was a late bloomer with social skills and doesn't have much higher education which is why he's a shift supervisor now rather than higher up.

Situation: At 6 month progress review we talked about his performance I told him he's doing awesome in terms of operations but could stand to improve his organizational skills and follow-through.

Later one of his staff missed her deadline to complete an educational requirement. I talked to D and told him he can't let this happen again. He said he emailed her telling her to do it, and I explained "that clearly wasn't enough", that he must follow up with whatever is necessary (including disciplinary action if it comes to that) to ensure his staff are compliant with our regulations. A couple months later near another deadline, the same woman wasn't done, so I reminded D to make sure she gets it done. Well deadline hits and she missed it. I talk to D and was like "wtf, we talked about this and I reminded you." He told me she'd told him she'd completed it (he could've checked her certificate) . I told him no excuses, you promised me last time you'd follow up as necessary and you failed.

Fast forward to end of year performance appraisals. I rate him "acceptable" rather than "excellent" on his organization/follow-through which means he doesn't get his 2% bonus at the end of the year. He was always borderline on organization, and the education thing tipped the scale. Now I think he deserves the maximum bonus. He sacrificed for me, shed blood sweat and tears, but that's not how the performance appraisal system works. I could've fudged it, nobody would've known, but I think he has potential to be great and move up in his career. That sloppiness won't cut if he moves up a few ranks. He feels hurt, badly. He knows he deserves it, and knows I think so too. He feels like I'm being a heartless bureaucrat, but I feel I'm doing my job and also teaching him a lesson in the long run despite feeling terrible about it.

AITA?

Edit: before this gets out of hand, I've worked with him. A lot. I spent 30 minutes a day, 2-3 times a weeks dedicated to training and development for about 6 months. I still have an open door policy and he comes to me frequently. He's commented how much I've helped him on many occasions. I have a master's in leadership (and am doing what I was taught to do) and have given him resources and books as well as any knowledge I have to offer. We have a great relationship until this bonus thing. Also I work for a huge organization, I don't own the company and I don't lose/gain money for this.

Edit 2nd: was recommended I add this: He is sloppy all over but good enough that he gets by, I'd say mediocre overall with organization. Emails are occasionally hard to understand, he needs to resubmit time cards often for corrections. I am patient because I know he works hard and has a hard time slowing down for tedious details. There was no cost from the girl who missed education, but only because we got lucky. An inspector came and did some spot checks, but didn't pick her name. I'm not allowed to give him anything due to organizational policy. I suppose I could give him a gift and just not tell anyone and hope he stays quiet. But I don't want to on gamble on that. He's improved from bad to "acceptable" but he's definitely not "excellent" with organization. There is no punishment, he's just not getting a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Funktastic posted:

professionalism poisoning strikes again

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This seemed very thread appropriate.

(edit to add a trigger warning, there's a mention of an adult having sex with a minor with no details)

https://twitter.com/ExileGrimm/status/1456730462005743624

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 6, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Funktastic posted:

This is confusing because the guy he's rating is a supervisor, but he seems to suck rear end at getting people to do basic tasks, which is what a supervisor is for. He also makes the guy sound dumb as poo poo just in general. But he ALSO says the guy totally deserves a raise 100% for sure and he withheld it because of some kind of deranged bureaucratic integrity?

:wtc:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

What in the gently caress? Outing a dude as a pedophile on national Tv and there were not immediately cops there to arrest him? And the show knew about this beforehand? Just what the gently caress....

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

According to the comments, this is about irl child abuse, pedophilia, grooming, forced marriages, cults, and CSA. Fair warning. It doesn't go into detail but like, idk. I thought we're not posting pedophilia related things here? There's trainwreck gazing and then there's abyss gazing, I feel.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for being upset about an employee making the same as me?

quote:

For context I’m the manager of a small book store, my boss and I are best friends and it’s just been the two of us working for a while until a few weeks ago. He hired someone new and didn’t ask my opinion on it at all. He also gave her a key which I JUST got a key when I became manager and that definitely upset me. I opened the store last night and texted her to come if she wanted a shift and btw this is nothing against the woman she is super sweet and she has 2 adopted daughters to take care of and she’s newly a single mom so I get why she needed another job I just wish I wouldn’t have walked in in the interview with bo heads up.

So fast forward to the shift. I’m obviously doing everything and showing her the ropes I wouldn’t expect anything more from her first shift. But what bothered me is her inviting her teenage kids to the store and going to take care of them while I take care of all the customers alone. Also her having personal conversations and leaving the store to have a 10 minute personal conversation while the store is busy. I had no intention of confronting her it’s her first day and maybe she is just trying to get the hand of it.

What really hurt me is coming to find out my boss paid us the same for the day. She got paid the same as me the manager to be trained and to walk around the store having personal conversation and not help me with anything. I feel sick thinking about it and I am going to confront him but deep down I also feel guilty about this because she has apartment rent and two kids but on the other hand I don’t understand how having obligations makes it okay for you to slack off and get paid the same as the manager.. I’m conflicted it feels like he is going to jump over onto her side and I am already looking for other jobs because I don’t want to have to quit and not have something lined up.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Lol dey fuckin'

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

sean10mm posted:

This is confusing because the guy he's rating is a supervisor, but he seems to suck rear end at getting people to do basic tasks, which is what a supervisor is for. He also makes the guy sound dumb as poo poo just in general. But he ALSO says the guy totally deserves a raise 100% for sure and he withheld it because of some kind of deranged bureaucratic integrity?

A 2% raise in 2021 is a pay cut.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

webmeister posted:

I love the little details in this one:
- started major renovations without consulting partner
- happy to point out that the house is "mine", not "ours"
- has debts that aren't getting repaid
- happy to let in-laws pay for the wedding despite his major financial windfall
- he says "we" might as well have fun with the money, despite it being spent entirely on him
- apparently spent several years out of the workforce, so I'd love to know what the rest of their financial situation looks like (ie, how much he's been sponging off her income for the past two years)

I'm honestly just boggling at how unbelievably self-centered this guy is. "Yes honey, I know there's a bunch of walls missing and someone is digging up a corner of the house. I figured that since we've lived off your income for two years, your parents are funding our wedding, we've got a bunch of debts and I've only just found stable work, it seemed like the perfect time to dump a bunch of money into a moronic vanity project entirely for my own benefit. You know, because I never get to do anything! Wait where are you going?"

At some point, the OP replied:
"She would never go into debt, in fact she has a huge savings and investment portfolio that we battle over all the time because she thinks it's better to save it interminably, I say spend it.

But no we don't share incomes or savings. This also is a huge problem because she has a considerable savings and it annoys the gently caress out of me that she saves it for some proverbial "rainy day" instead of using it for us to have some fun."

OP rightfully got dragged in the comments

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Also, the blabbermouth at the OB that spilled the story about pregnancy got reported

quote:

WIBTA if I reported a family friend who outed my pregnancy to her place of work?

UPDATE I reported her first thing this morning. She was the one who answered and I said I had to talk to my OB, but she couldn’t come to the phone right then and called me back 20 mins later. I explained the situation, she thanked me for telling her and said that they take matters like this very seriously and will be looking into it immediately. I doubt they’ll let me know what happens but if I do hear anything I’ll update again. Thanks so much, everyone!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for refusing to get engaged until he gets divorced?

quote:

My boyfriend of three years has been married twice before, which is fine, I knew that going into it and the divorces were for fair reasons on both sides.

Legally, he is still married to his last wife. They separated over a decade ago but never got round to signing the paperwork.

We have a child together and another on the way and he keeps bringing up the subject of engagement and marriage with me. I have told him in no uncertain terms that my answer will be a resounding 'no' if he hasn't finalised the divorce when he asks me. He's very hurt and says he really wants to marry me. I've said ok, get divorced then. It's bad enough that I've spent three years with a man who is technically married to someone else - the idea of being engaged makes me sick. I told him as much and he was quite upset.

I've spoken to a few close friends about this and I'm getting mixed opinions. Some have said it is downright disrespectful that he is still married, while others have said I'm being petty and immature. My argument is, I'm not going to commit to marrying a man who doesn't respect me enough to get a divorce.

So, Reddit - Am I the rear end in a top hat?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Funktastic posted:

If he's excellent, say he's excellent without guilt. Excellent doesn't mean perfect.

If this training thing is the one issue on otherwise stellar performance, it's fine not to knock him down for it.

However, it sounds like this guy is merely OK with the potential to be excellent. He's hardworking and motivated and gets along with his team, but needs to pay a lot more attention to organization and details. "Acceptable" is probably where he really is right now.

That's fine. But that should be the messaging from his leader all along, whenever they have 1:1 discussions about performance. Your review should not be an unpleasant surprise when you see it.

I think his leader failed him in that respect, and knows it, and may lose him because of it. Whereas if the message all along was "I can't give you above an acceptable rating unless you start doing X, Y, and Z better..." well, you might still lose them, but at least they weren't blindsided.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

value-brand cereal posted:

According to the comments, this is about irl child abuse, pedophilia, grooming, forced marriages, cults, and CSA. Fair warning. It doesn't go into detail but like, idk. I thought we're not posting pedophilia related things here? There's trainwreck gazing and then there's abyss gazing, I feel.

Sorry, I thought the lack of specifics would make it less of a trigger issue. Basically the game show host asks the daughter if her dad as an adult has ever had sex with someone who was underage, she says yes, and the host reveals that she is right. No details beyond that.

"Age gap" is a running theme here, and there are plenty of stories posted where some simple math shows one of the partners in a relationship was underage when it started. Didn't mean to be out of line, apologies if it affected anyone.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 6, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being upset about an employee making the same as me?

Individual contributors earning more than management is pretty common, especially if they have a skillset the manager doesn't. And even in retail if the manager is salaried, their effective hourly earnings can be lower than the people they manage,

In this case though the OP is just bad at negotiating because he considers the boss a friend. I guess he hasn't been following the news that employers are now having trouble hiring by offering poverty wages? If he went back and asked for more he would probably get it since replacing him would be more expensive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Also, the blabbermouth at the OB that spilled the story about pregnancy got reported

Who is the she who answered?

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Piell posted:

Does...does this guy think he can be legally married to two women at once?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I believe it was the receptionist who was the op's mom's friend?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sean10mm posted:

quote:

Emails are occasionally hard to understand

There is no way a supervisor who can't even communicate effectively is "excellent". The OP probably would have been better off giving the excellent anyway since it sounds like the company doesn't care and that would be an easy way to get the employee in question on his side in the future. But that's based on politics, not performance.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

The same receptionist who told the OP's mom

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Elissimpark posted:

Can't decide if they play gender flipped Cramps songs or spanish Sonic Youth covers.

tengo un bloque católico

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

The same receptionist who told the OP's mom

So the OP just willingly reported the complaint to the person who she was complaining about?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sorry, I thought the lack of specifics would make it less of a trigger issue. Basically the game show host asks the daughter if her dad as an adult has ever had sex with someone who was underage, she says yes, and the host reveals that she is right. No details beyond that.

"Age gap" is a running theme here, and there are plenty of stories posted where some simple math shows one of the partners in a relationship was underage when it started. Didn't mean to be out of line, apologies if it affected anyone.

She went on this show to expose sexual abuse in the mormon church and explains her motives here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

So the OP just willingly reported the complaint to the person who she was complaining about?

OP told person to pass on the message “I need to talk to my OB” but not about what. OB called back and OP explained the whole situation only to them.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

The OB called her back

quote:

I said I had to talk to my OB, but she couldn’t come to the phone right then and called me back 20 mins later.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

kimbo305 posted:

No, she said she asked to speak to her Doctor, and when the Doc called back she reported the receptionist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

haveblue posted:

OP told person to pass on the message “I need to talk to my OB” but not about what. OB called back

Doh!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

She went on this show to expose sexual abuse in the mormon church and explains her motives here.

:catstare:

Yikes, my bad.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Piell posted:

Not committing to get married, but two kids in three years is no biggie, lol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Piell posted:

In which a woman is on the cusp of realizing that she is the mistress.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Piell posted:

can you even get married if you are still legally married to someone else (except maybe in utah)?

people staying married despite being split up can cause all sorts of legal problems down the line. "oh, the father of your children died in a car accident? well, he had no will and was married to this other woman, so she's legally entitled to the majority of his assets"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Franz posted:

can you even get married if you are still legally married to someone else (except maybe in utah)?

Technically you could but legally you can’t.

There isn’t much (if any) cross checking when getting a new marriage license at least in CA.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OP is apparently in the UK, so no polygamy. OP and still-married-boyfriend also own a house together, so she has already entwined her finances with this guy's ex given that they are still legally married.

OP also states that the boyfriend and his ex hate each other and both have moved on with their lives, so not filing the drat divorce papers and making it officially over makes even less sense.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Read the story and take a guess before looking at the spoiler, I guarantee you will be wrong

AITA, for covering and holding my nose because of the smell of my dad´s oatmeal?

quote:

Me (14) and dad is ( 54) and very strict. He likes joking around much, so it´s hard to tell if he is joking around or not. Recently, I started covering my nose because of the smell of my dad´s oatmeal or his breath after he ate his oatmeal, at first he didn´t get mad about it, but recently he has.

So, today after I brushed my teeth and went down, to eat some breakfast he then came downstairs. Seconds later, he farted then after I finished eating, I came up to use the bathroom but then I started covering my nose because I thought the fart would smell. He then seemed kinda angry and said ¨why are you covering your nose¨? I then said because he farted it and I covered my nose in case it smelled bad.

Then after he dressed up he started making oatmeal and as I was near the door and the bathroom he started looking at me in a annoying way then I told him to stop, I also thought he was doing it in a way to mess around with me. Also, the oatmeal didn´t smell that good and I covered my nose ( by the way I was covering my nose before) and then he scolded me about how it was ¨disrespectful¨, which I admit it was. He asked if it ¨ was the trash bag¨ and made me go take the trash bag outside (in the garage). Now, my father is very mad at me and told me ¨to never do that again¨.

So, AITA Reddit? Also, I am sorry for any grammar mistakes or errors.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I'd surmise there is very little crossover between each father's oatmeal as the dad's brand really comes through in how it's perceived in its texture, smell, and taste. One might be (pleasantly) surprised in just how unique each man's oatmeal aroma is if you just hover your face over it and take a big whiff.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Piell posted:

Read the story and take a guess before looking at the spoiler, I guarantee you will be wrong

AITA, for covering and holding my nose because of the smell of my dad´s oatmeal?
Well it's not farts because you didn't spoiler that, he's making the spoiler, what could it be?

What? How?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sensitivity to not-quite-but-almost spoiled milk smell? Some people put milk in their oatmeal.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

The_Franz posted:

People staying married despite being split up can cause all sorts of legal problems down the line. "oh, the father of your children died in a car accident? well, he had no will and was married to this other woman, so she's legally entitled to the majority of his assets"

Assuming they are in the UK and OP meant legally separated, then no: OP’s boyfriend and his separated wife would no longer automatically inherit the other’s money or property.

The_Franz posted:

OP and still-married-boyfriend also own a house together, so she has already entwined her finances with this guy's ex given that they are still legally married.

Also doubtful for the same reason.

The_Franz posted:

OP also states that the boyfriend and his ex hate each other and both have moved on with their lives, so not filing the drat divorce papers and making it officially over makes even less sense.

I have a feeling this was because that until 2020, the UK didn’t have no-fault divorce. Maybe both of them were worried about proving who’s at fault and getting a lot less of the marital property than they deserved. But after 10+years, yeah, even without the new laws they should just have divorced already.

Content:

quote:

The company I work for is going through a merger with two others. Some people have taken retirement, but other than that no one has been let go. Locations and departments are changing, and people are moving around and being promoted.

I am about to have a new boss. We have a history. I used to work with my new boss’s husband. We had a one-night fling and somehow she found out. She divorced him and it was not amicable. I have a child with her ex-husband. The two of us share custody, but we’re not together and have never been beyond that one time. I was dragged into the divorce proceedings and she went out of her way to humiliate me. She is still angry about it and she took her ex-husband to the cleaners.

I asked HR if there is any other job I could take but they said there isn’t. They also say my concerns are not valid because my new boss is a professional. I can’t afford to be without a job but I also can’t have her as a boss. HR has said their decision is final. They won’t give me another job or let me go and if I quit I can’t get unemployment. What should I do, do you have any advice as to how I can convince HR to change their minds?

One month later posted:

I ended up quitting rather than working for her. I appreciated your response and all of the kind responses in the comments, but there was no way I could work for her when the company had clearly sided with right her off the bat and when she still had it out for me after all this time. Before she started her management position, she was here for a meeting. She saw me by the elevators and said the universe must be on her side since she was offered a chance to manage one of the people who had “shattered” her life before. There were no witnesses to this conversation and I knew then I had to get out before she took over.

I wish I could say I have found another job and everything is great, but that is unfortunately not the case. I had to move in with my mom and dad. I’m working as a temp until I can find a permanent full time job. I did have an interview but the hiring manager “saw red flags” when I was unable to provide a current reference from either job I have had in the past (the one where I worked with the father of my child and the one I just quit) and only had a single reference for 12 years of work in the form of my now retired former manager. They ultimately decided to go with another candidate. Another company I applied at “decided not to move forward with my candidacy” after they called both of the companies I had worked at in the past even though I didn’t have any references from either one. I don’t know what they were told but I imagine it cannot be good as I have no friends at either place and did not leave on good terms.

The father of my child is also working temp jobs. He has had a tough time finding work since his divorce. He is also living with his mom and dad. Neither of us has a car, I cannot afford it and his ex-wife got his in the divorce, so we rely on public transportation or our parents. Things have always been amicable between us, we have always shared custody with no child support because of the equal time, but for now our child stays with whichever one of us or our parents/other relatives are available for child care and we try to help each other financially as much as possible so our child isn’t affected (he is still dealing with the fallout from his bankruptcy and his ex-wife having his wages garnished instead of accepting a payment plan). Both of us are focused on getting back on our feet and giving our child a stable life. I’m thankful we both have family who helps whenever they can.

Even though things aren’t going great at the moment, I still want to thank you for your response and the perspective you provided and all of the people in the comments who were kind and supportive. I go back and re-read them whenever I am having a really bad day.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Beautiful post. Curious where OP could've found a glut of encouraging comments, I went to find if it was from r/adultery, but no, AAM.

AITA for asking my GF to split the cost of her engagement ring?

quote:

I was used to being the one to pay on dates and stuff. But she’s got this weird hang up about not wanting me to think, “She owes me anything”. Seems dumb to me. But I go along with it. She moved in with me and suddenly wanted to go half on rent. Even though she doesn’t make that much compared to me, so half was seriously draining her funds. Whether she admitted it or not. It’s exhausting honestly. I’m not hurting for cash. And she doesn’t make a whole lot. It’s the least I could do.

but anyways I decided My GF would be splitting the cost of her engagement ring with me since she’s so hung up on splitting everything. Needless to say. The conversation didn’t go over well.

I’d just like to add that She is insistent on not letting me pay the whole rent. I don’t understand it.
Guess the spoiler!

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

limp_cheese posted:

What in the gently caress? Outing a dude as a pedophile on national Tv and there were not immediately cops there to arrest him? And the show knew about this beforehand? Just what the gently caress....

Dennis Hastert was Speaker of the House and Mark Foley was still a sitting congressman so...

The 2000s were a lawless wasteland