Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

God Hole posted:

last good marvel villain was jeff bridges

no it was the other guy with the same name who was the villain in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He also lied and said it would be instantaneous, then made it drawn-out and traumatic despite having ultimate power over all creation

He had to impress his ~bae~, the Mistress of Death!

I was really :smith: that they left that part out. Bill Thanos up to be this "big bad" and right after he ~snapped~ and peaced out, just have him be all "DID I DO GOOD" to a skull-headed woman in dark robes who's totally not into it.

...only for her to stare longingly at Deadpool from afar, making the "heart" sign with his hands. This is all canon in the comics. :rolleyes:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/50ShadesofVan/status/1457144422622273536?t=707-90p-akeoxNDX9iEqLw&s=19

https://twitter.com/weathernetwork/status/1457145924652830729?t=o56dSypWx_WJ4qcoTDuhSA&s=19

https://twitter.com/PrairieChasers/status/1457141850876223493?t=Itib5zWfwys7nSvCMvsixw&s=19

https://twitter.com/invlil/status/1457138634071494659?s=21

:stare:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Admittedly I'm not a weather person and I know waterspouts don't tend to manage a transition to land often, but I can't help but think that the correct answer to the line 'that's legit' isn't laughter and continued filming, but rather a swift striding motion towards somewhere further from windows. I dunno, maybe I'm just a stick in the mud.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Why is BC having such extreme weather this year (apart from the obvious)? Heat waves, now tornados? (lmao)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
fuckin lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

Why is BC having such extreme weather this year (apart from the obvious)? Heat waves, now tornados? (lmao)

all weather is going wacky due to everything that influences it changing

We are probably going to see 14 feet of snow in Tennessee or something

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

toggle posted:

Pacific Ocean thermal patterns seem to be loving up faster and harder than the Atlantic and as a result the atmospheric fuckery from the disintegrating jet stream / polar vortex seems to be hitting the west coast more often than the east coast.

So far.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

toggle posted:

imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. the first ball is maybe condensed matter physics. actually there are an unknowable number of balls and we don't fully understand how they interact with the other balls or with the cliff, which is also made of balls. but the balls are hot and wet. the cliff is the earth and everything on it. the balls slap against the cliff when they get angry. the balls are angry. we are the cliff. :science:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Gravid Topiary posted:

imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. the first ball is maybe condensed matter physics. actually there are an unknowable number of balls and we don't fully understand how they interact with the other balls or with the cliff, which is also made of balls. but the balls are hot and wet. the cliff is the earth and everything on it. the balls slap against the cliff when they get angry. the balls are angry. we are the cliff. :science:

finally someone spells it out in normal english, someone get this man a tv interview we have a planet (covered in hot wet balls) to save

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Extinction Rebellion tried to blockade that airport two weeks ago, nature showed up a little late but she's trying to help.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I have been advocating for a ecological dictatorship since 2012.

I stopped pursuing a degree in climate science to pivot to city planning and government because it was obvious that what we should be focusing on is mitigation and ablation in 2013.

in 2021 I live in a dome

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Chamale posted:

Extinction Rebellion tried to blockade that airport two weeks ago, nature showed up a little late but she's trying to help.

the waterspout peacefully surrendered to the police afterwards

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

toggle posted:

here have a song about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVd7xT9kqo

e: lol they released this over 30 years ago, etc.

Irony.or.Death has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Nov 7, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opinions/95339

quote:

Childhood Obesity Is Soaring to New Levels

quote:

In my obesity practice, children who had been losing weight before the pandemic are now returning with an average weight gain of 10 to 20 lb.

In fact, the signs I'm seeing suggest we are facing a dangerous collision between the COVID-19 pandemic and a surging obesity epidemic.

quote:

Adolescent Obesity Has More Than Tripled Over the Past 30 Years

While the spike in pediatric obesity during the pandemic is especially severe, it's part of a long-term trend. In September 2021, the CDC released results of a study that found that 22% of children and adolescents had obesity last August, up from 19% one year prior. The study showed that children with healthy weight were gaining an average of 3.4 lb per year before the pandemic but gained 5.4 lb per year during the pandemic. For children with obesity, the expected annual weight gain rose from 6.5 to 12 lb after the pandemic began, and from 8.8 lb to 14.6 lb in those with severe obesity.

Over the past 30 years, the childhood obesity rate has more than doubled in kids ages 2 to 5 years, tripled in youth ages 6 to 11, and more than tripled among adolescents ages 12 to 19. In fact, pediatric overweight and obesity affects more than 30% of children, and it is the most common chronic disease of childhood. Looking at the long-term consequences of this disease, children with obesity are more likely to become adults with obesity and all of its associated health problems, including type 2 diabetes, stroke, and ischemic heart disease later in life.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcOxZZGrBc

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone else think about how hosed up sous vide cooking is? Wrap a steak in plastic and let it slow cook in a hot water bath for 2hrs.

Mmmplastic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

toggle posted:

remember when everyone kept saying only the global south would be affected by xxxtreme weather? they lied

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

silicone thrills posted:

Anyone else think about how hosed up sous vide cooking is? Wrap a steak in plastic and let it slow cook in a hot water bath for 2hrs.

Mmmplastic.

in the grand scheme of everything that we do, sous vide is like 1/1000000000th fraction of importance. like just microwaving plastic containers of Marie Calendars Stouffers 3-for-1 microwave mac-n-cheese and whatever is far worse and something people do writ-large. and even taht's really small compared to overall forced-background intake.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xaris posted:

in the grand scheme of everything that we do, sous vide is like 1/1000000000th fraction of importance. like just microwaving plastic containers of Marie Calendars Stouffers 3-for-1 microwave mac-n-cheese and whatever is far worse and something people do writ-large. and even taht's really small compared to overall forced-background intake.

It all adds up. Every prepared food we eat hanging out in plastic in heat just leaching away

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

silicone thrills posted:

Mmmplastic.

yeah, i was talking about it on the last page. something that people who have never worked in restaurants probably don't realize is how people in restaurants wrap *everyfuckingthing* in plastic. if it can be wrapped in plastic or vacuum sealed in plastic, it probably is before being thrown into the walk-in fridge. also, lol, 2 hours? try 10. i've definitely sous vide'd large amounts of product overnight. at least 10 hours. some people have to sous vide stuff for longer times.

gently caress, talking about microwaving things in plastic

i've been in fine dining restaurants that would have individual cuts of meat in plastic bags and they would thaw them to order in microwaves before throwing them on the grill or saute pan lmao

i haven't seen it in michelin restaurants, but i've heard of it being done in a two star michelin restaurant. for normal people, that means their average meals (typically dinners) are probably somewhere between $300-$1000 per person and they probably pay their line cooks like $16/hr for 80+ hr work weeks. and they wonder why they can keep chefs in the industry. heh.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Tabletops posted:

I have been advocating for a ecological dictatorship since 2012.

I stopped pursuing a degree in climate science to pivot to city planning and government because it was obvious that what we should be focusing on is mitigation and ablation in 2013.

in 2021 I live in a dome

Any high end reading you recommend regarding both city planning and government? I'm very much into expanding my personal library.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I'm trying to remember when the CCG first started issuing waterspout warnings for the upper Salish Sea, I think around 2010? They're so cute compared to that monster.

Of course I'm missing all this coastal action, well inland taking care of elderly parents in Canada's only desert, where it's been pissing down rain. The rattlesnakes are going to get moldy.

Complications posted:

Admittedly I'm not a weather person and I know waterspouts don't tend to manage a transition to land often, but I can't help but think that the correct answer to the line 'that's legit' isn't laughter and continued filming, but rather a swift striding motion towards somewhere further from windows. I dunno, maybe I'm just a stick in the mud.

Hard to tell the exact position, but that area already strikes fear in the hearts of mariners in small boats. A combination of exposure, shallow water extending out for kilometres of tidal mudflats, and conflicting currents and salinity from the Fraser River can make for uniquely awful conditions. If it's going to re-write some textbooks by coming ashore it will be there. I'd be running for the basement but I would probably drown down there. Probably better to grab a beer, head to the roof, and enjoy the show with a drink in one hand and an upraised middle finger in the other.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Basic Poster posted:

I just did this. My third time buying land. I'd be happy to help with your process, there are many mistakes to make.

I forgot which thread this came from but I'll post/DM something soon as I definitely have questions.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Complications posted:

There is nowhere to shelter at YVR from a tornado. Probably the worst building I can imagine to be in for that.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqXTCvDLeo

i guess juicemedia is starting to lose hope, they spent a lot less time pretending anything can be done in this video

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The Demilich posted:

Any high end reading you recommend regarding both city planning and government? I'm very much into expanding my personal library.

Jane Jacobs
The Death and Life of Great American Cities
The Economy of Cities

Robert Caro
The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York

Richard Rothstein
The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America

Neil Brenner, Peter Marcuse, Margit Mayer
Cities for People, Not for Profit

Jarrett Walker
Human Transit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqXTCvDLeo

i guess juicemedia is starting to lose hope, they spent a lot less time pretending anything can be done in this video

They can't be that honest. They already edged pretty close to being banned for Minecraft at the end, there.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

another tornado not destroying arizona

can barely contain my disappointment

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Complications posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFUa93Nq3Bs

It hit land lol.

Planet is loving up, thoughts and prayers.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Lostconfused posted:

I won't blame normal people for not wanting to drink deep from the ocean of human misery.

But well, if you're reading this thread then.

Looked up to see if there's new news on Madagascar.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...ocate-1.6237015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyehvY7uYxs

I am sure the huge spike in global food prices won't help them either.

i try to stay sane while accepting reality, and even though i've rationally known stuff like this is happening and just going to continue to worsen and is essentially a glimpse at my own future, this really messed me up

people who have contributed almost nothing to climate change are starving to death because their climate is irrevocably wrecked, and it's not going to get better for them, things won't improve and they're just hosed, the end, you can't just relocate an entire country because it's becoming a wasteland

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

Mmmplastic.

he tried to warn us

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEh1kUJ0Pk

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

someone posted that slime mold obesity thing a few pages back, I didn't see him mention much about HFCS, which began showing up in foods in the late 1970s, right before that big 1980 spike he points out. This is one of the biggest things Robert Lustig blames for the obesity crisis - also around 1980 is when the whole "low fat" thing started, and fats were replaced with sugars.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

someone posted that slime mold obesity thing a few pages back, I didn't see him mention much about HFCS, which began showing up in foods in the late 1970s, right before that big 1980 spike he points out. This is one of the biggest things Robert Lustig blames for the obesity crisis - also around 1980 is when the whole "low fat" thing started, and fats were replaced with sugars.

go to section 2.2.3 here https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/11/a-chemical-hunger-part-ii-current-theories-of-obesity-are-inadequate/

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The 70s were also when wages got decoupled from productivity, which made life much more stressful for the majority of people. Not the predominant factor but it definitely has something to do with the rise in obesity.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

off the top of my head HFCS fails the same test as other diet-based explanations. namely: 1. obesity is inversely correlated with altitude, 2. everywhere on earth is getting obese (including lab and zoo animals and possibly wild animals), and 3. no public health measures (restricting production in this case) anywhere have been effective against the obesity epidemic.

But in other ways it does fit the picture!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoa

we had one of those in SF a while back too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22nh5VglqkI

I've only heard of one other recorded tornado/waterspout (it made landfall and tore the roof off a house) in the history of SF, in roughly the same location as this one...i guess it's gonna be getting more frequent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks

I was thinking about the altitude thing, is there any data on HFCS consumption by state?

I'm curious what the reason for the sugar drop in 1999 was.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Nov 7, 2021

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

toggle posted:

idk but as someone living in the lower mainland

it's fukken time to PARTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Enfys posted:

you can't just relocate an entire country because it's becoming a wasteland

is there a reason why not or is it just one of those things people think about and say gosh.

gently caress.