Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

enojy posted:

I could be totally off-base with that, but it's just the vibe I'm getting. I also saw a lot of BoTW influence in the recent Elden Ring gameplay demo and people were like "wut"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZzZnEBqAvY

If it's this I guess from an aesthetic standpoint I guess there's running around a post apocalyptic desert setting really really fast on the overworld, but that's about it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZzZnEBqAvY

If it's this I guess from an aesthetic standpoint I guess there's running around a post apocalyptic desert setting really really fast on the overworld, but that's about it to me.

That really may be it, honestly. Just a knee-jerk reaction at what they're showing us so far. I just wanna get the hell out of the desert level! Desert levels always suck!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

peoplpe with an aversion to good games will probably be disappointed with a good game

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

People were annoyed at the frequent Persona comparisons and I get that, but I'm positively surprised that no journalist was dumb enough to make a comparison to a certain other RPG that has:

- post-apocalyptic lonely hellworld setting
- high difficulty
- emphasis on combat and exploration over storytelling

There must be some understanding among games journalists that this is the game that is strictly prohibited in other reviews.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

KonvexKonkav posted:

People were annoyed at the frequent Persona comparisons and I get that, but I'm positively surprised that no journalist was dumb enough to make a comparison to a certain other RPG that has:

- high difficulty

There must be some understanding among games journalists that this is the game that is strictly prohibited in other reviews.

They already famously mentioned that game in the same sentence as Persona in reviews for SMT 4

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 7, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KonvexKonkav posted:

- high difficulty

I don't think I saw anyone compare it to Fallout 2, no

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Huh, I thought that it was supposed to be a somewhat simultaneous worldwide release, but apparently it's coming out almost a day and a half later in NA than it does in Japan? That's kinda lame.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Saagonsa posted:

Huh, I thought that it was supposed to be a somewhat simultaneous worldwide release, but apparently it's coming out almost a day and a half later in NA than it does in Japan? That's kinda lame.

That is a somewhat simultaneous world release lmao

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

It's practically simultaneous and way better than most of their releases up to now with stuff like Persona 5 Strikers and some of the Etrian Odyssey games having a gap of a year or more for the NA release.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

That is a somewhat simultaneous world release lmao

I mean I guess but I assumed it was 11/11 midnight PST instead of 11/12 midnight PST for NA since that would make sense given that the JP release is 11/11 midnight JST. Just weird and kinda lame, to me.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Saagonsa posted:

Just weird and kinda lame, to me.

I mean, as someone that had to wait the two years it took them to release SMTIV in PAL territories a day just doesn't seem worth quibbling about to me. But I'm also waiting to get V for Christmas, so *shrug*

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Atlus should give the PAL publishing rights back to Ghostlight imo

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
And have the game freeze when you kill the final boss.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
Now, when the thousand years have expired, Ghostlight shall be released

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress you for even saying this

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

you loving sicko

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

enojy posted:

That really may be it, honestly. Just a knee-jerk reaction at what they're showing us so far. I just wanna get the hell out of the desert level! Desert levels always suck!

desert levels are always my favourite so I am so incredibly excited. fuckin love desolation.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Atlus should give the USA publishing rights to Ghostlight

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mysticblade posted:

Atlus should give the USA publishing rights to Ghostlight

:hmmyes:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I just don't get what the point of the 1 day gap is. With normal releases it makes sense in that translation only begins when a game is complete or is nearly complete. Why have an exactly 1 day gap?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, it's weird! All languages are obviously completed, there's just a 1 day gap for seemingly no reason. Like I know people point to previous releases and how long it took for them to come out in NA/(especially) EU, but those had translation/publishing issues to attend to, SMTV obviously doesn't. A day isn't much, but there just doesn't seem to be any point to it, which is what gets to me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Persona of Dark Souls

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, it's weird! All languages are obviously completed, there's just a 1 day gap for seemingly no reason. Like I know people point to previous releases and how long it took for them to come out in NA/(especially) EU, but those had translation/publishing issues to attend to, SMTV obviously doesn't. A day isn't much, but there just doesn't seem to be any point to it, which is what gets to me.

I have a 15% serious theory that they wanted 11/11, but then someone said oh poo poo, it has to release on a Friday. (Is that still a thing for major Nintendo games?)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Shipping delay notice on SMTV from Amazon earlier today :negative:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Shipping delay notice on SMTV from Amazon earlier today :negative:

I got that too even though I preordered that premium edition literally minutes after it first became available. What the heck!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Check your orders. I got the email too but on my account the order says arriving Friday. It better because I'm taking Friday off to play it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

I just don't get what the point of the 1 day gap is. With normal releases it makes sense in that translation only begins when a game is complete or is nearly complete. Why have an exactly 1 day gap?

I've never seen a game come out on, say, a Monday in Europe. Only Tuesdays and Fridays. Maybe it's a supply chain thing?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I love desert levels. There's something very tranquil about them.

Bury my bones in Nam-Yensa Sandsea.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

desert levels often suck because they tend to be very flat. from the reviews and the videos, it seems that the levels in SMTV have lots of verticality and hidden corners, so i wouldn't worry. what does annoy me a bit that they have decided to make the mimans red to be more easily visible. that doesn't work if your red-green colorblind. what's wrong with using a nice blue, atlus?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

The thing I'm worried about is it all looking bland and the same if its constantly desert

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MegaZeroX posted:

The thing I'm worried about is it all looking bland and the same if its constantly desert

That appears to just be one area.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

desert levels own

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KonvexKonkav posted:

- high difficulty

kenshi?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

That appears to just be one area.

If it's only an NDA thing and the desert is less than 25% of the game, they haven't done a good job marketing the game. Anyone who's watched every single promotional video and review they've released would have no reason not to think the desert is almost all of the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think I saw anyone compare it to Fallout 2, no

I legitimately thought this instead of whatever the post is supposed to be referencing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spermando posted:

If it's only an NDA thing and the desert is less than 25% of the game, they haven't done a good job marketing the game. Anyone who's watched every single promotional video and review they've released would have no reason not to think the desert is almost all of the game.

i hop e it is

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nocturne's entire world map was desert and it's one of the best games of all time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nocturne's entire world map was desert and it's one of the best games of all time.

this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i thought this was coming out on tuesday, not friday. what the gently caress??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spermando posted:

I have seen multiple trailers and seen very little of the Desert in them.